• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I signed up for Planet Fitness in my area today and did my first workout there. Been running outside since September and can pretty reliably go 2 hours at around 5 mph. But man, running on a treadmill sucks. I thought "Hey, I won't have to worry about windchill and I can watch something on my phone and it'll be easier!" Nope. Holy shit. Couldn't even go an hour without slowing to a walking pace a few times. It's so discouraging having your time and distance right there in front of you, trying not to constantly look at it. Especially with no scenery passing by or no visible progress made.

I feel like I got a better sweat out of that hour than I usually do on my runs, but I burned decidedly less calories. At least I can get into some lifting there, I suppose.

Do HIIT instead. You can workout for a lot less time and it isn't nearly as boring.

PBY

Banned
I signed up for Planet Fitness in my area today and did my first workout there. Been running outside since September and can pretty reliably go 2 hours at around 5 mph. But man, running on a treadmill sucks. I thought "Hey, I won't have to worry about windchill and I can watch something on my phone and it'll be easier!" Nope. Holy shit. Couldn't even go an hour without slowing to a walking pace a few times. It's so discouraging having your time and distance right there in front of you, trying not to constantly look at it. Especially with no scenery passing by or no visible progress made.

I feel like I got a better sweat out of that hour than I usually do on my runs, but I burned decidedly less calories. At least I can get into some lifting there, I suppose.

An hour?!

thats a shitload

Teggy

Hit me with your Super Bowl cheat meal.

Chilli, pizza, hot dogs, doughnuts, ice cream, and cheesecake here!

Still finalizing, but it will definitely include Fritos scoops, ice cream and some candy (thinking Reese's Pieces). My wife always wants pigs in blankets so probably that too.

mdsfx

Yep! I started out on a treadmill, but after running outside all of the time I've grown to hate them. So, so much. Nothing beats running outside. And to me, the crazier the weather the bigger the challenge and the more fun I have.

mdsfx

Yep! I started out on a treadmill, but after running outside all of the time I've grown to hate them. So, so much. Nothing beats running outside. And to me, the crazier the weather the bigger the challenge and the more fun I have.

Speaking of which, I still have to clean my second pair of shoes from those muddy trails last weekend!

justjim89

Do HIIT instead. You can workout for a lot less time and it isn't nearly as boring.

I just looked up what that is, I may have to give it a shot. Ended up doing something like that today for the back half of my run once I kinda lost my focus. Running at 5-6 mph for a few minutes, walk at 3.5-4 for a few minutes, really push it at 8 mph for a minute or two, and kinda cycle like that.

It just kinda bummed me out feeling completely dead and only having burned 800 calories or so when usually on a 90-120 minute run outside I'll burn between 1200 and 1500. But I live in the midwest and outside running isn't always practical.

An hour?!

thats a shitload

Yeah, I just kinda built up to it. Started on C25K in September to learn how to run and lose some weight, was at 253 at only 5'7. Did the 8 weeks or so of C25K and alternating with long walks, about 5-6 miles, on off days. Combined that with eating better and not drinking soda and the weight just kinda melted off. Got hooked on that feeling, started doing daily runs instead of every other day. I don't go too fast, usually between 4.5-5.5 mph, but I just kept pushing the time. Now I'm at about 193 and if I don't get at least an hour of cardio in, I feel like a slouch all day.

Gonna start hitting the weights now, too. Haven't seriously lifted since high school.

So I'm 3 weeks into my strict diet and my DDP Yoga (which I'm really enjoying)
I started at 255 and I'm about a week out from my first weigh in. So I jumped the gun last night and really wanted to see how I was doing and it came in at 233. Now, taking into account slight differences in clothes and maybe how soon after eating I weighed....that seems like way more weight than I expected. Now I have been able to really feel the weight loss and I'm already down a size, nearly two, but 20 pounds in 3 weeks kind of startled me.

I've been doing about 1200 calories a day on non-yoga days and 1400 on workout days. I didn't eliminate carbs but I'm on very, very few (well expect when I go drink at a pinball tournament). I'm really glad but it's almost concerning. I've been hungry but No problems with lack of energy or feeling bad/strange. I've actually been sleeping better and had more energy. I felt horrible and tired last Friday for a little bit but after my workout I never felt better and spent all night out and felt great the next day.

justjim89

So I'm 3 weeks into my strict diet and my DDP Yoga (which I'm really enjoying)
I started at 255 and I'm about a week out from my first weigh in. So I jumped the gun last night and really wanted to see how I was doing and it came in at 233. Now, taking into account slight differences in clothes and maybe how soon after eating I weighed....that seems like way more weight than I expected. Now I have been able to really feel the weight loss and I'm already down a size, nearly two, but 20 pounds in 3 weeks kind of startled me.

I've been doing about 1200 calories a day on non-yoga days and 1400 on workout days. I didn't eliminate carbs but I'm on very, very few (well expect when I go drink at a pinball tournament). I'm really glad but it's almost concerning. I've been hungry but No problems with lack of energy or feeling bad/strange. I've actually been sleeping better and had more energy. I felt horrible and tired last Friday for a little bit but after my workout I never felt better and spent all night out and felt great the next day.

I was at 253 when I started, and at first it goes really fast, disconcertingly so like you said. I think a lot of that just comes from changing your diet, not even taking exercise into account. When I quit drinking 7 glasses of Mountain Dew a day and doing only water, a lot of weight just went away. But as your body gets used to your new diet and exercise regimen the pace kinda evens out and slows a bit.

At least from my experience. That first 20 or so pounds went away like that.

mkenyon

Banned

Endless wings, Mac n Cheese, Pulled Pork, Sous Vide Pork Belly Lettuce Wraps.

You're telling me. I fucking *hate* treadmill running. The only way I can do it is instead of actual running, I do max incline speed walks. Helps make it a "different" exercise so I don't compare it to my daily runs. The thing I hate the most is lack of airflow to cool me off.

And, I run 4-5 days a week, rain, snow, or sun. And it's mostly that first one, because I live in Western WA. :p
This, so much. Nothing better than running when it's dumping buckets.

justjim89

Endless wings, Mac n Cheese, Pulled Pork, Sous Vide Pork Belly Lettuce Wraps.

You're telling me. I fucking *hate* treadmill running. The only way I can do it is instead of actual running, I do max incline speed walks. Helps make it a "different" exercise so I don't compare it to my daily runs. The thing I hate the most is lack of airflow to cool me off.

And, I run 4-5 days a week, rain, snow, or sun. And it's mostly that first one, because I live in Western WA. :p

This, so much. Nothing better than running when it's dumping buckets.

Yeah, I may give the treadmill a few more shots, since I'm paying for the membership, but I think I'll stick with my outside runs. A more rewarding experience and a better workout. Being able to half-heartedly watch NXT on my phone wasn't worth it today.

I was at 253 when I started, and at first it goes really fast, disconcertingly so like you said. I think a lot of that just comes from changing your diet, not even taking exercise into account. When I quit drinking 7 glasses of Mountain Dew a day and doing only water, a lot of weight just went away. But as your body gets used to your new diet and exercise regimen the pace kinda evens out and slows a bit.

At least from my experience. That first 20 or so pounds went away like that.

Ok, that's good to hear. I kind of figured it was lots of water weight and that changing my diet so suddenly helped. My goal was to hit 210 in 6 months and I think I'm going to blow that away. I'm still on the super easy 25 minute workouts in DDPY. Next week I get to the fat burner and optional workouts.

Fox318

I actually like running on the treadmill better. I can control the speed and elevation plus I can force myself to match a speed.

Plus I can watch TV or something on my phone.

despire

Realized I've been pretty much dieting non stop for over six months save for a few short breaks. Put on a few pounds during Christmas and I'm now just about where I was before. Anyway I'm kinda feeling it, extended cutting I mean. Feeling tired, libido dropping etc..

Gonna do a proper reverse diet and then hang around at maintenance for a month or two. Then finish the cut when I'm feeling it will go smoothly.

mkenyon

Banned
I actually like running on the treadmill better. I can control the speed and elevation plus I can force myself to match a speed.

Bruh you aren't suffering enough. Go harder.

For me, it's like hearing that someone is watching TV while squatting.

The passive entertainment is ignoring your body screaming at you to stop or slow down, and becoming one with the pain.

Szu

For me, it's going to be a lot of Chinese food. The whole Year of the Monkey thing going on.

The Super Bowl is just the appetizer for me this year. When it's done, I'll be partying like it's 4713.

mdsfx

For me that changed as my intensity increased. Before when was running at a moderate pace, even for 8-10 miles, I didn't mind it so long as I had a TV. Running how I do now, much closer to my threshold, I'm too stressed to even pay attention to the TV. I need the satisfaction of moving through space lol

Edit: Exactly what Mkenyon said! I never forget Psychotext telling me one day that if I was able to post on the forum during my cardio, I wasn't pushing it hard enough. Now I make sure I'm never that comfortable :)

Fox318

Bruh you aren't suffering enough. Go harder.

For me, it's like hearing that someone is watching TV while squatting.

The passive entertainment is ignoring your body screaming at you to stop or slow down, and becoming one with the pain.

I guess but for me I've found that if I'm concentrating on something else I can put the treadmill on 6-8.5 mph and run for a good 40 minutes no issue.

Right now I'm watching Star Trek TNG on the treadmill.

I probably do need to push myself more on the treadmill though.

in due time friend, just give it a bit

DPnMVvE.gif

mdsfx

I guess but for me I've found that if I'm concentrating on something else I can put the treadmill on 6-8.5 mph and run for a good 40 minutes no issue.

Right now I'm watching Star Trek TNG on the treadmill.

I probably do need to push myself more on the treadmill though.
The difference between those speeds is enormous. 10min/mile vs 7min...

Matugi

Need a DL doctor again. Felt wonky so I recorded myself at a heavier weight and noticed I had poor lat recruitment, so I reloaded and focused on that here. Still think I'm getting my knees too far over the bar but I have such short legs that I can't sit back AND keep my shoulders over the bar.
https://youtu.be/7L3OCDhyhK8

Thanks friends

Anyone pls. I'm probably overexagerrating the lockout a bit but I've got strong hip drive so it's hard to slow myself at light weight.

FWIW I'm basically mimicing my setup from Izzy from PTW since he goes into a great breakdown on the biomechanic of setup (i.e. short arms = more horizontal torso)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
About two weeks ago, while doing squats (without weights), I noticed a very audible creak sound coming from my left knee. Of course I stopped immediately and left my knee rest for the week. But the next time I tried it was still there from the very first repetition!

I don't know what has caused it, but my suspicion was doing sit-ups on a bench like this one:

yYPp0cM.jpg

I have been doing them for years now. Could that have strained my knee? Or maybe the stairs machine?

My knee doesn't normally hurt and I can walk and run fine, but I do feel mild pain after going up the stairs for like 5 floors or so, which I need to do regularly. Is this something I should be worried of? I'm not sure if should make an appointment with an orthopedist.

Also, I would appreciate tips for a squad substitute that wouldn't straining my knees harshly.

Any advice is appreciated.

bchamba

Do you have any clips of you squatting? Knee pain can be caused by not going deep enough on them aka 1/2 and 1/4 squatting.

JCX

Thanks for the impressions of the adjustable dumbbells. Got the bowflex ones. Once I figured out how to set them, they worked fine.

ryan299

I'm doing p90x3, can anybody recommend a good recovery drink that isn't ridiculous expensive?

Also has anybody else done p90x3, how'd it go?

Wulfric

Ben and Jerry's, onigiri (jelly donuts), and carne asada burritos. I'll be watching the Super Bowl and the Magic the Gathering Pro Tour simultaneously. /helpme

I'm in the same boat. It feels like I get more complacent on a treadmill, even if I'm going faster than I would on the track. Does your PF have free weights? I hear that's a common compliant with their locations. The dreadful purple/yellow color scheme was enough for me to bounce as soon as my guided tour was over.

Funnily enough, I'm about to grab fast food for my post workout meal as I've got nothing in that's high enough in protein. Am bulking though, so I'm fine with the calories.

Finally got a workout in. Decided to throw the regime out the window and did a full two hours of compound stuff; rows, ohp, deadlift, squat, bench
(Followed by 10 mins of curlz!)
. Wasn't too far off my 5 rep maxes for each of them, so I'm reasonably happy with how it went, especially given my focus was all over the place, and I didn't have wrist wraps protecting my delicate girly wrists.

justjim89

I'm in the same boat. It feels like I get more complacent on a treadmill, even if I'm going faster than I would on the track. Does your PF have free weights? I hear that's a common compliant with their locations. The dreadful purple/yellow color scheme was enough for me to bounce as soon as my guided tour was over.

They have a free weight section, yeah, but it's not huge. But it seemed like they have all the basics. No real set up for dead lifts, squats, and stuff though. At least not from what I saw. The color scheme isn't great, but for $10 a month it could be pink and baby blue.

I just had 1400 calories of Taco Bell for lunch after my morning workout, and that Taco Bell order is absurd. Even if you were going for that many calories, you could do it for half the cost of whatever that ended up being.

Been wearing the pump all day and through my workout today. Its not active yet as I still have to finish my in-person training, but I've been trying to get used to having it attached to me at all times.

Its roughly the size of a large pager, comes with a removable clip so its fairly easy to clip it to various articles of clothing as I move about. Had not bumped it with weights or anything yet. Not bad. Will take some getting used to. I also fashioned a string from the pump to my abdomen to mimic the infusion set. I have 2 types of stretchy belts, wide and thin, I can use to hold it under my shirt at waist or chest level. Nothing constricting but something to get it out of the way from my chain belt. Zero issues.

I remain satisfied.

I'm doing p90x3, can anybody recommend a good recovery drink that isn't ridiculous expensive?

Also has anybody else done p90x3, how'd it go?
Whole Milk
Water

Other than that I'm lost.

crpav

Man, there were a couple of days where I felt I was stumbling through my day. Good thing I didn't go to the gym.

My deadlift would looked like this

Without the heels. And I wouldn't be wearing that dress.

Black isn't my color. :p

I need to know, did she break her ankle because it hurts t watch how it bends.

justjim89

Honestly you could cut many of those meals by a 3rd just by following the golden diet rule:

Don't drink your calories

Damn skippy. I still have some days (kinda like today) where I eat more or less how I used to, but just not having a giant soda with it and multiple others throughout the day keeps me from feeling too guilty about it.

goober

Anyone recommend some good elastic/exercise bands for stretches? I've been reading up on my injury and I feel it's tightness in my hip flexors. I've seen some stretches and exercises that utilize the band so I was wondering if any of you have recommendations.

Azulsky

I took 1 week off(well sans the first workout) after coming down with a fever.

Went back for a leg day yesterday and I felt like I had never done a backsquat in my life.

Gods of gains are so cruel.

ILoveBish

Y'all eat some wack stuff confirmed.

Bench is done, 235lbs went up smooth and no leg drive needed. Done lifting for the week. This weekend I'm eating big due to guests, clean up what's left at the house Sunday, then strict fast Monday till Wednesday, while finishing up deload week. Then start strict PSMF which I'll be doing for months.

Wedding looks to be early September, so I have 7 months till then to button this all up.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Making me proud with such solid SB cheat days FitGaf!

Shit is getting crazy with my bodyweight lately. On Sat I was 177 which is really low for me so I decided to throw together 2 massive cheat days in a row. Then on Monday I even had a couple bowls of cereal before bed which brought me up to 3500ish. Weighed myself today after 2 strict days and I'm 179. So this is how you want to play it huh body?? I see...

Teggy

I'm still struggling to get my actual weight down (now stuck around 188 and trying to get to 170) but I've definitely lost fat visually over the last couple of weeks (I can see the lower back fat disappearing) and my jeans are definitely looser. I don't know how I could be recomping at 1700-1800 calories, though.

I want to get skinny so I can eat! And grow muscle I guess.

PBY

Banned
I'm still struggling to get my actual weight down (now stuck around 188 and trying to get to 170) but I've definitely lost fat visually over the last couple of weeks (I can see the lower back fat disappearing) and my jeans are definitely looser. I don't know how I could be recomping at 1700-1800 calories, though.

I want to get skinny so I can eat! And grow muscle I guess.

And then you'll eat and wanna be skinnier again

Teggy

Cooter, you know what to do.

pbco-560x417.jpg

I really should try some of their other flavors, but once I tried Dark Chocolate Dreams I couldn't imagine needing anything else. It's like eating protein chocolate frosting. And my local supermarket carries it now so I don't have to Amazon it or make a special trip to the supermarket that's a little farther away. Same with PB2, they recently started magically carrying the few little things they were missing.

And then you'll eat and wanna be skinnier again

But I won't need to be as skinny. I mean, I've never been fat, but that last time I was really honestly skinny was freshman year of college (so like 25 years ago). I had come off a summer of busing tables right before and had lost a ton of weight. I have my ID somewhere, I look kind of emaciated. Then I got in the dining hall and that was that. For the last 15-20 years I've probably hovered somewhere between 175-190 with only 1 real bad jump in the last year where I went up to 205. The goal here is to be once again actually low body fat for the first time in forever and then really manage it. Lean bulk, then skinny back up a bit, repeat. Why I waited until my 40s to do this I can't say, but better late than never.

justjim89

You guys know that feeling when you had a cheat meal for lunch, then you get in later and find out someone in your family got pizza for dinner?

I mean, I'm allotted half of a pizza. What am I supposed to do, not eat it?

I suppose I'll fast over the weekend. I know it's not the healthiest thing to treat exercise as a punishment for food, but I hate having days where I go over my recommended caloric intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom