• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Goddammit. I hit 295x5 on squats and was happy until I checked the tape. Depth was too high. Maybe it's due to being tight/sore from my massage a couple days ago. Maybe it's because I haven't taken a deload since mid November. Maybe they've just been getting higher and higher each time.

Regardless, it's time to rest and repeat the cycle

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but last time I noticed my depth getting higher, I did pause squats for a couple of sessions. Basically a slightly lighter weight, fully ass to grass, wait (I did three seconds), stand up again.

Next time I did my normal squats I was much deeper without having to focus on it too much.

BumRush

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but last time I noticed my depth getting higher, I did pause squats for a couple of sessions. Basically a slightly lighter weight, fully ass to grass, wait (I did three seconds), stand up again.

Next time I did my normal squats I was much deeper without having to focus on it too much.

Good suggestion and I agree with it for all exercises. Paused anything really stretches the muscles in a way that provides excellent long term benefits to performance and form.

SeanR1221

I plan on that actually. I did some deep pause squats with 185 after.

Video of my failure https://instagram.com/p/BB2fb5PI6Xc/

Oh well. Back to it

I should buy a belt while I have the cash but that means I need a bigger gym bag. Any suggestion?. Right now I have like two pairs of shoes. Some resistance bands. Hand chalk. Bar collars Pockets for random stuff and snacks.

I rather have these stuff with me at all time so I won't forget it.

goober

I should buy a belt while I have the cash but that means I need a bigger gym bag. Any suggestion?. Right now I have like two pairs of shoes. Some resistance bands. Hand chalk. Bar collars Pockets for random stuff and snacks.

I rather have these stuff with me at all time so I won't forget it.

What resistance bands do you have? I've been looking for some to help with stretching.
As for gym bags, I have an old reebok gym bag that works fine. Nothing too fancy.

Chocobro

What resistance bands do you have? I've been looking for some to help with stretching.
As for gym bags, I have an old reebok gym bag that works fine. Nothing too fancy.

I would recommend these depending on the stretches you want to do. They're currently on sale as of the time of this post.

http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-mini-resistance-band.html
http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-light-resistance-band.html
http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-average-resistance-band.html

Edit: I say this for when you buy smaller items from EliteFTS, get friends to order with or buy more stuff. The shipping cost for a few small items is terrible.

I would recommend these depending on the stretches you want to do. They're currently on sale as of the time of this post.

http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-mini-resistance-band.html
http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-light-resistance-band.html
http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands/pro-average-resistance-band.html

Edit: I say this for when you buy smaller items from EliteFTS, get friends to order with or buy more stuff. The shipping cost for a few small items is terrible.

oh. i thought i replied but i guess i didn't. lol.

red one i definitely have

i was trying to buy the band pack on rogue but they were out at the time

so i ended up just buying #3 and #4 bands.

but that was more for deadlifting and such.
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monster-bands

velociraptor

What's fitGafs thoughts about training when sick? I've got tonsillitis and a middle ear infection, but I feel guilty about not training.... Should I go and try to get something out of it or rest up and hit it hard when I'm better.
I tend to go lighter and train for the pump when I'm ill.

bchamba

I wouldn't expect your back to stay at the same angle during the entire squat. In order to keep the bar over your midfoot there are going to be degrees of forward lean depending on your limb lengths. It's only a problem if the bar is going over your toes instead of your midfoot.

See Layne Norton for extreme example of forward lean while maintaining a straight bar path and neutral lower back.

I've read the OP and much of the thread a few times now and have been a bit overwhelmed by all of the information. I recently moved into a new home that already has a pretty nice home gym filled with a big rack of Dumbbells, an elliptical machine, a treadmill, and 2 exercise bikes. With that, I don't have much of an excuse for not exercising, so I've been working out a few times a week. I've been gaining some decent strength, but I feel that I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm probably not progressing much. Can anyone recommend a structured exercise set that I might use, given the listed equipment? I've searched for quite a few, and really don't know where to start.

Height: 5'11
Weight: 190
Goal: ~170
Current Training Schedule: MWF
Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells, pull up bar, treadmill, elliptical, exercise bikes
Comments:

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've read the OP and much of the thread a few times now and have been a bit overwhelmed by all of the information. I recently moved into a new home that already has a pretty nice home gym filled with a big rack of Dumbbells, an elliptical machine, a treadmill, and 2 exercise bikes. With that, I don't have much of an excuse for not exercising, so I've been working out a few times a week. I've been gaining some decent strength, but I feel that I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm probably not progressing much. Can anyone recommend a structured exercise set that I might use, given the listed equipment? I've searched for quite a few, and really don't know where to start.

Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells, pull up bar, treadmill, elliptical, exercise bikes
Comments:

I think the most basic and important thing I've learned is that you shouldn't expect any significant strength increases while you're losing weight. You'll get stronger if you're an absolute beginner, but you'll plateau soon enough until you bulk. Since your current goal is weight loss, don't worry too much about how strong you'll be by the end of it. Adjust your approach as you adjust your goal.

BumRush

Comments:

Can I suggest maybe selling some of the cardiovascular equipment and purchasing a bench and BB...preferably one that will allow you to squat? If possible, you could do almost anything you'll ever need in your own space.

I wouldn't expect your back to stay at the same angle during the entire squat. In order to keep the bar over your midfoot there are going to be degrees of forward lean depending on your limb lengths. It's only a problem if the bar is going over your toes instead of your midfoot.

See Layne Norton for extreme example of forward lean while maintaining a straight bar path and neutral lower back.

I lean a fair bit, but my bar path is good.

JoeNut

Can I suggest maybe selling some of the cardiovascular equipment and purchasing a bench and BB...preferably one that will allow you to squat? If possible, you could do almost anything you'll ever need in your own space.
I thought the same lol, guess most here prefer lifting to cardio though

I could probably sell or move the exercise bikes, and fit that in there. In the meantime, any recommended websites or workout plans involving dumbbells? I'm more worried about my form, and making sure I'm targeting the right muscle groups. Right now, I'm just kind of making it up as I go along.

BumRush

I could probably sell or move the exercise bikes, and fit that in there. In the meantime, any recommended websites or workout plans involving dumbbells? I'm more worried about my form, and making sure I'm targeting the right muscle groups. Right now, I'm just kind of making it up as I go along.

Until you get the bar, you could honestly try the OP programs with DBs. It's a temporary solution but it's better than nothing.

Instead of BB squats, try goblet squats. Instead of DL, do stiff leg DB DL. That will help you get the forms down and get into a rhythm of going.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Started working out again and it feels great. My goal is to go from 185 to 200 through muscle gain.
The main barrier to that for me though is my appetite. I've been a light eater for a long time, and with this new aim of ~2700 calories a day I'm having trouble making it.

If I push past that discomfort and metaphorically force myself to eat will the appetite follow?

Calderc

Started working out again and it feels great. My goal is to go from 185 to 200 through muscle gain.
The main barrier to that for me though is my appetite. I've been a light eater for a long time, and with this new aim of ~2700 calories a day I'm having trouble making it.

If I push past that discomfort and metaphorically force myself to eat will the appetite follow?

Going through the same thing brother, although I gave to eat around 3500 before I start to gain weight.

Today has been 3 shakes with whole milk, protein, instant oats and a massive spoonful of peanut butter. Dinner was a breaded haddock fillet with chips and peas, plus a couple sandwiches.

I feel absolutely terrible right now.

BumRush

For both of you:

A whole milk shake with 2 cups of milk, two tablespoons of PB, two scoops of powder, a whole banana, a quarter cup of uncooked oats and a shot of olive oil will taste like heaven and give you above 1,200 calories. Eat that in addition to your normal 3 meals and you should hit your goals.

I do find it interesting how some people struggle to hit 3k calories (or above). I assume it must be partly an obsession with eating super clean when it comes to bulking (which isn't really that much of a requirement as long as you're watching your macros and calories). For those on intermittent fasting it can be a challenge, but when you've got literally hours to recover from your big meals, it should be quite doable.

I've done 4.5k calories (and 160g protein) in three hours... and it sucked, but I managed, because fuck putting all that gym time in and not backing it with the right nutrition. If I was doing that over the course of 16 hours, I'd have no issues at all (I image I'd have problems the other way).

Still, everyone different and all that.

Edit - Also, I'd feel like shit if I ate more than one protein shake (even one can give me a headache), let alone three. Fuck that.

Granadier

Personally I'm just not used to eating that much.
I'm not worried about doing a clean bulk or anything, I just need the nutrition so that my muscles grow rather than sit stagnant.

Chipotle has been my go-to so far on gym days since a packed burrito bowl with tortilla there is ~1300 calories.

Just don't go over the top with protein. There's way too much broscience out there saying you need ridiculous amounts, which will do nothing for you other than empty your wallet. 0.8g / lb of bodyweight is just fine for anyone who isn't juicing.

Related, OP is still well out on that particular nugget. No harm in going higher of course, but numerous studies have proven it to be pointless.

mkenyon

Banned
For both of you:

A whole milk shake with 2 cups of milk, two tablespoons of PB, two scoops of powder, a whole banana, a quarter cup of uncooked oats and a shot of olive oil will taste like heaven and give you above 1,200 calories. Eat that in addition to your normal 3 meals and you should hit your goals.
This is new. When did you start adding that?

When I need to pack extra calories in mine, I use coconut cream.

ILoveBish

For those with a home gym, what're your thoughts on a cage with the lat pulldown attachment, and adjustable dumbbells?

In reality I think all I need is the cage and some adjustable but still heavy dumbbells. Not sure if the pulldown setup is worth it when I'll just be using it for lat pulldown and tricep rope pulls.

I can get an amazing body with just barbell and weights I'd think.

mkenyon

Banned
For those with a home gym, what're your thoughts on a cage with the lat pulldown attachment, and adjustable dumbbells?

In reality I think all I need is the cage and some adjustable but still heavy dumbbells. Not sure if the pulldown setup is worth it when I'll just be using it for lat pulldown and tricep rope pulls.

I can get an amazing body with just barbell and weights I'd think.

http://www.roguefitness.com/spud-inc-econo-tricep-and-lat-pulley

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I do find it interesting how some people struggle to hit 3k calories (or above). I assume it must be partly an obsession with eating super clean when it comes to bulking (which isn't really that much of a requirement as long as you're watching your macros and calories). For those on intermittent fasting it can be a challenge, but when you've got literally hours to recover from your big meals, it should be quite doable.

I've done 4.5k calories (and 160g protein) in three hours... and it sucked, but I managed, because fuck putting all that gym time in and not backing it with the right nutrition. If I was doing that over the course of 16 hours, I'd have no issues at all (I image I'd have problems the other way).

Still, everyone different and all that.

Edit - Also, I'd feel like shit if I ate more than one protein shake (even one can give me a headache), let alone three. Fuck that.

On cheat days I struggle to stay below 10k. Having a tough time hitting 3k cracks me up.

I'd go for a pure cage personally, and yeah, you could add something like that spud, or run some bands from a joist in garage / from your ceiling (also gives you the ability to do chest exercises with them too). I'm personally making do just fine with bands.

Edit - I do love that Rogue can charge 99 dollars for a two dollar bit of webbing, a three dollar cable and a handful of metalwork which wouldn't set you back 10 dollars. :D

As for the adjustable dumbbells, they're fine unless you need to make a lot of weight changes. If you're just going to do 5 sets of 5 on say, 50lbs, they're fine. But not so much if you want to do pyramid sets and the like.

On cheat days I struggle to stay below 10k. Having a tough time hitting 3k cracks me up.

Yeah, I can't imagine what I could eat if I really tried. Coming off an 8 hour or more ride I have no choice but to eat incredible amounts, or I'm definitely going to lose all my hard earned gains. When I did my 24 hour event I was ordering my next meal whilst I was still eating my first.

Granadier

For both of you:

Just got back from the store and made one of these. Great recipe, thanks!

ILoveBish

I could make that all day everyday. Thanks for the idea.

I'd go for a pure cage personally, and yeah, you could add something like that spud, or run some bands from a joist in garage / from your ceiling (also gives you the ability to do chest exercises with them too). I'm personally making do just fine with bands.

Edit - I do love that Rogue can charge 99 dollars for a two dollar bit of webbing, a three dollar cable and a handful of metalwork which wouldn't set you back 10 dollars. :D

As for the adjustable dumbbells, they're fine unless you need to make a lot of weight changes. If you're just going to do 5 sets of 5 on say, 50lbs, they're fine. But not so much if you want to do pyramid sets and the like.

I am thinking I can build my own pulldown like the above, and do a ring setup while I'm at it. This should be fun.

Dumbbells I like are manually adjustable up to 100lbs per hand which is what I'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom