• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For both of you:

A whole milk shake with 2 cups of milk, two tablespoons of PB, two scoops of powder, a whole banana, a quarter cup of uncooked oats and a shot of olive oil will taste like heaven and give you above 1,200 calories. Eat that in addition to your normal 3 meals and you should hit your goals.
Goddamn. Making one right now.

On cheat days I struggle to stay below 10k. Having a tough time hitting 3k cracks me up.
You got dat zone on lock, tho.

BumRush

This is new. When did you start adding that?

When I need to pack extra calories in mine, I use coconut cream.

Yup exactly that. I use it if I'm doing a prolonged bulk. Like if I'm hitting 5k a day for a week I'll put olive oil on everything including shakes. Wife's Greek so our house is basically an olive oil factory :)

On cheat days I struggle to stay below 10k. Having a tough time hitting 3k cracks me up.

I'm literally laughing out loud

SeanR1221

Transitioning to slim pants has been a success. They feel good now and that weird feeling is gone. Although I still fear my thighs will eventually rip through lol. But the material should be able to stretch.

Until you get the bar, you could honestly try the OP programs with DBs. It's a temporary solution but it's better than nothing.

Instead of BB squats, try goblet squats. Instead of DL, do stiff leg DB DL. That will help you get the forms down and get into a rhythm of going.

Thanks. I'll give that a try!

Transitioning to slim pants has been a success. They feel good now and that weird feeling is gone. Although I still fear my thighs will eventually rip through lol. But the material should be able to stretch.
I have the issue with my pants turning into capris when I stand up from sitting down XD

The stretchy kind look good and are comfy, to boot. Plus my ass looks amazing in them.

Fit Gaf!!! Anyone living in the Baltimore area? Moving there for a temp assignment and looking for gym suggestions. 24 hr fitness/LA fitness aren't in the city proper...Pls halp

_Isaac

Throw one up man. It's the best part of this community

Alright I finally took video for a squat form check. I'd greatly appreciate any advice from anyone here.

https://goo.gl/photos/26SxaXKhm4X8QyzS7

It's the first time. I've tried to share videos like this, so I hope it works. :p
I have two different angles, and it's pretty light weight since I get pain in my left hip/groin area. I figured that might be because my form is wrong, and that's why I'm here! [:
The first rep on both of them my weight did go too forward on my feet, and I think you can even see that happen as my feet roll a little forward. Also the later reps on the second video, it's when it started hurting a bit. It's not that heavy at all, so I must be doing something wrong.

I'll also say that I'm attempting to do a low bar squat based off of what I read in the Starting Strength book.

So being on the pump is a change. I'm running a LOT lower on my glucose. That's good but its working a bit too fast. I used to take 2 types of insulin before and I hated my slow-absorption because it was never perfect from day to day. Pumps use all fast-absorbing insulin that is delivered slowly 24/7 and I still take my mealtime as usual but since it's all fast absorbing, I'm getting the Insulin far steadier and more reliable than before. Need to take the base rate down a notch.

That or it gives me an excuse to eat more but I need to get dialed in so I'm not correcting all the time and can reliably dose each carb I eat.

In the long run it means less insulin use which is great. Shit's expensive. Tonight I'll be waking up every 3 to monitor.

JoeNut

So I hit pbs on deadlift and squat on the same day and I'm eating on a deficit, can anyone explain this? Is it a mind over matter thing?

sphinx

the piano man
For both of you:

A whole milk shake with 2 cups of milk, two tablespoons of PB, two scoops of powder, a whole banana, a quarter cup of uncooked oats and a shot of olive oil will taste like heaven and give you above 1,200 calories. Eat that in addition to your normal 3 meals and you should hit your goals.

this sounds like the secret sauce to bulking haha, I am looking forward to try it.

one question, we don't care about sugar here, right?

when I went to that nutritionist 2 months ago I said my shake consisted of a glass of milk, one powder scoop, half a cup of oatmeal and a banana and said "holy shit, that's a sugar bomb, take half a banana and get rid of the oats".

you know, my problem with this nutritionist back in Mexico was that she's an old lady that specializes in helping overweight girls lose weight... Her mindset couldn't be further away from mine. She did say "I can help you get rid of fat and then attain pure muscle" but when she then suggested the foods I should eat I kind of stopped following her.... as a snack she suggested some shitty bars with 10% protein and covered in sugar... then when she talked about lifting weight itself... she said "regarding the pressure thing, don't overdo it with upper body but do leg all you want"... that came off as pretty ignorant. I didn't say anything but I thought "do you by chance know how nerve-drilling, pressure-elevating can be a real 3-5 RP Squat or a Deadlift?"....

I really don't mean to sound like I know better than a certified nutritionist, but I think we look for different things and she didn't even help regarding blood pressure, she did not give me a diet for people with a tendency to high pressure, she pussied out of that topic and said "well, losing weight always does good in that regard anyway so let's go there" and proceeded to give me a shitty diet (you know, things like one boiled chicken breast as a meal with little carbs as sides, one apple with some almonds for breakfast and shit like that, clearly for overweight people that need an all-around low caloric diet, on which the word muscle doesn't even appear in the equation). I'd surely lose lots of everything, not just fat if I followed that diet.

My stance regarding all of this right now is that I will look for means to eat healthy, keeping an eye on things to keep pressure at a reasonable level, but I'll pass on that diet, for now at least, I'll take cues from it when I am on the mindset of losing like 15 pounds. As for what I want, I want muscle mass. so will look who to combine all factors to come up with a diet that helps me on all regards.

guys, am I wrong here?? I am willing to hear opinions, I second-guess myself cause she is a nutritionist and I have nothing but some basic internet knowledge... am I being unreasonable or deluded? I don't know.

this sounds like the secret sauce to bulking haha, I am looking forward to try it.

when I went to that nutritionist 2 months ago I said my shake consisted of a glass of milk, one powder scoop, half a cup of oatmeal and a banana and said "holy shit, that's a sugar bomb, take half a banana and get rid of the oats".

you know, my problem with this nutritionist back in Mexico was that she's an old lady that specializes in helping overweight girls lose weight... Her mindset couldn't be further away from mine. She did say "I can help you get rid of fat and then attain pure muscle" but when she then suggested the foods I should eat I kind of stopped following her.... as a snack she suggested some shitty bars with 10% protein and covered in sugar... then when she talked about lifting weight itself... she said "regarding the pressure thing, don't overdo it with upper body but do leg all you want"... that came off as pretty ignorant. I didn't say anything but I thought "do you by chance know how nerve-drilling, pressure-elevating can be a real 3-5 RP Squat or a Deadlift?"....

Oats are a sugar bomb? Fuck off. lol

1 gram of sugar per 100g.

Also, I have a vid of the final rep of my squat PR where I literally go as red as the top of the sports drink bottle I gulp from afterwards. I'm genuinely surprised I didn't start bleeding from the ears.

At the end of the day, you're training like an athlete, if you want nutritional advice, go to a sports nutritionist. Or go here and either sign up with them or absorb everything they put on their blog: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/blog

BumRush

Alright I finally took video for a squat form check. I'd greatly appreciate any advice from anyone here.

https://goo.gl/photos/26SxaXKhm4X8QyzS7

It's the first time. I've tried to share videos like this, so I hope it works. :p
I have two different angles, and it's pretty light weight since I get pain in my left hip/groin area. I figured that might be because my form is wrong, and that's why I'm here! [:
The first rep on both of them my weight did go too forward on my feet, and I think you can even see that happen as my feet roll a little forward. Also the later reps on the second video, it's when it started hurting a bit. It's not that heavy at all, so I must be doing something wrong.

I'll also say that I'm attempting to do a low bar squat based off of what I read in the Starting Strength book.

Dude honestly from what you said I expected it to be worse. You do lean forward a bit too much and I believe what's causing that is you dipping your head and looking at the ground instead of straight ahead. Also, despite going low enough, you're going really fast which could be the reason for your hip pain. A little slower on the descent and ascent. Post another next time you go out. Awesome work man

So being on the pump is a change. I'm running a LOT lower on my glucose. That's good but its working a bit too fast. I used to take 2 types of insulin before and I hated my slow-absorption because it was never perfect from day to day. Pumps use all fast-absorbing insulin that is delivered slowly 24/7 and I still take my mealtime as usual but since it's all fast absorbing, I'm getting the Insulin far steadier and more reliable than before. Need to take the base rate down a notch.

That or it gives me an excuse to eat more but I need to get dialed in so I'm not correcting all the time and can reliably dose each carb I eat.

In the long run it means less insulin use which is great. Shit's expensive. Tonight I'll be waking up every 3 to monitor.

So much goes in to it. Jesus. You seem like you're all over it though which is great.

Sphinx, I think that nutritionist is crazy. The raw oats I use don't even have sugar. I'll check to confirm but I believe they have less than 1 gram per serving.

despire

Oats are a sugar bomb? Fuck off. lol

1 gram of sugar per 100g.

Also, I have a vid of the final rep of my squat PR where I literally go as red as the top of the sports drink bottle I gulp from afterwards. I'm genuinely surprised I didn't start bleeding from the ears.

At the end of the day, you're training like an athlete, if you want nutritional advice, go to a sports nutritionist. Or go here and either sign up with them or absorb everything they put on their blog: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/blog

Yeah but they have carbs hur dur

_Isaac

Dude honestly from what you said I expected it to be worse. You do lean forward a bit too much and I believe what's causing that is you dipping your head and looking at the ground instead of straight ahead. Also, despite going low enough, you're going really fast which could be the reason for your hip pain. A little slower on the descent and ascent. Post another next time you go out. Awesome work man

With the head angle thing, what I do is I pick a spot further ahead on the ground and focus on that to keep my head sorta neutral for the low bar squat. I got that trick from Rippetoe's book, but I never actually had someone check if my head was all wrong. I'll have to find a higher spot to focus on then.

Also with the speed thing I never even thought about that! I'll definitely have to slow down a bit. I remember hearing that you should have somewhat of a slow descent and "explode" up. Does that explosion part still have to be pretty slow?

Thanks for taking a look!

It'll only be fast when you're using light weights. You should still be slow and controlled on the way down, as divebombing the squat isn't really the way to get your form dialled.

Related, I focus low like you, but on high bar squats it doesn't seem to affect me. I have a wall right in front of me at the moment so I think picking a higher point might be difficult without ending up moving my head around as I squat.

My legs are full of carbs bruh. Makes me fast.

BumRush

With the head angle thing, what I do is I pick a spot further ahead on the ground and focus on that to keep my head sorta neutral for the low bar squat. I got that trick from Rippetoe's book, but I never actually had someone check if my head was all wrong. I'll have to find a higher spot to focus on then.

Also with the speed thing I never even thought about that! I'll definitely have to slow down a bit. I remember hearing that you should have somewhat of a slow descent and "explode" up. Does that explosion part still have to be pretty slow?

Thanks for taking a look!

Rippetoe knows more than I do, that's for sure. I just know that if I didn't look straight ahead when I squat id lose my balance. See what works for you.

The second one is more a matter of keeping you injury free. You're not trying to set a WR for squats so do what feels right and keeps you from getting injured as long as you're still maintaining good form (going low enough, etc) for it to have the desired muscular impact. It doesn't have to be exaggerated but I think you could definitely afford to slow your squat down a bit. I can promise that's the cause of your hip pain...at least from watching those videos.

i first walked into the gym 12 months ago, but have been more "serious" about it for 6 months or so.

Yeah, it's common to make gains and lose weight at the same time when you're just starting out. By the time I stalled out on Starting Strength I had lost close to 40 lbs (probably -50 lbs. fat +10lbs. muscle). I was still making gains through 5/3/1 while losing another 10. When I stalled on 5/3/1, I put on 15 lbs in about four months to get over it and now I'm still going up having slowly cut back 5 lbs., on my way to cutting back another 5.

sphinx

the piano man

this is an advice I should take. Thanks!

Sphinx, I think that nutritionist is crazy. The raw oats I use don't even have sugar. I'll check to confirm but I believe they have less than 1 gram per serving.

I swear to you guys, she said "Oats have carbs that transform into sugar" I am not making it up, but anyway that was one of several dubious comments.

Another one was "Salmon is awful, it has 40% fat!", I look for the nutritional facts here in the package... there's barely any fat... she probably meant some particular salmon variation? dunno.

anyway, on the whole topic that day, this pic of ricky martin appeared on the newspaper.

ricky-martin-600.jpg

The pic and the situation gave way to a rather interesting discussion with my mom, I said I appreciate Ricky Martins abilty to attain that body, cause it sure is hard but that ultimately that's not what I am looking for. She seemed a bit upset, like "then what the hell are you working out for??" I said "mmh to attain something like this'??" (I answered in form of a description...this is a random internet guy, probably a bit photoshopped but you get the idea)

needless to say she was respectful... but I noticed she didn't agree with my wish.. and by some remarks I think she thinks "you'll just look pudgy and old, I don't see the appeal".

oh well, it's ok, I'd keep it to myself.

I swear to you guys, she said "Oats have carbs that transform into sugar" I am not making it up, but anyway that was one of several dubious comments.

Another one was "Salmon is awful, it has 40% fat!", I look for the nutritional facts here in the package... there's barely any fat... she probably meant some particular salmon variation? dunno.

Well... oats will impact blood sugar, same as any carbs really. Maybe that's what she meant in her poorly explained way?

As for the salmon comment, to me that just means that she's stuck back in the OMG FAT MAKES YOU FAT days, and yeah, best off avoiding.

These two pics remind of a youtube video I watched on ThinkTank a few weeks ago. The two hosts were looking at a study where random people had to rate a bunch of different body parts, in order to find the ideal.

For example they would look at a bunch of men's arms, and then be asked which was the ideal arm for a man.

After the study, the researchers took the most popular answer in each category and used them to construct the ideal man, and the ideal woman.

The interesting thing was that they segregated men's and women's answers, and found that the ideal male body for men was much larger than it was according to women. Same for the female body actually.

Ambitious

I decided to finally do something for my body again. My first attempt at getting into shape was a failure, as I went overboard and gave up after a few weeks. The next attempt in the following year was just half-assed; I lacked discipline. I quit even sooner.

This time, I'm gonna stick with a short, but feasible routine, and I'm gonna set realistic goals. Most importantly, I will work out consistently. No more "not today"s.

100 squats, 50 push-ups, 50 sit-ups in five sets (20/10/10 in each set). Monday to Saturday; break on Sunday. Is this appropriate for a beginner? I don't know, but it sounds good to me. I will eventually expand my routine, of course, but for the time being, I'm gonna strictly follow this one. Maybe I'll increase the number of reps in a month or so.

Today's day two. I struggled with the push-ups in the first two sets because my muscles were still sore from yesterday, but I didn't have any problems with the remaining three sets. I feel good.

Halfway through week 3. When I started, I used to struggle with the push-ups starting from set 3, but that's not a problem anymore. Occasionally, I have to pause for like two seconds when doing the last set of push-ups, but apart from that, it's a breeze.

As planned, after nine more days of training, I'm gonna extend my program a bit. I was just wondering: How many sets should I add? Or should I rather stick with five and add more reps per set instead? Or maybe add sets as well as reps?

Finished month 1. Finally something to be proud of, I think.

Regarding the bolded: I decided to increase the number of reps by 50%. So that's 30 squats, 15 push-ups and 15 sit-ups, five times. And Christ, did I regret this on the first day I tried this. But I managed to pull it off - twice now - so I'm sticking with it.

By the way, what kind of cardio exercises can I do at home? Unfortunately, I live in a second floor apartment, so things like jumping jacks are out of the question.

ILoveBish

Down another 1.8lbs, at 228.0, less then 10lbs away from my previous lowest and then onto new lows. Been so busy, haven't hit the gym since Thursday last week, hopefully will be at it today.

velociraptor

I do find it interesting how some people struggle to hit 3k calories (or above). I assume it must be partly an obsession with eating super clean when it comes to bulking (which isn't really that much of a requirement as long as you're watching your macros and calories). For those on intermittent fasting it can be a challenge, but when you've got literally hours to recover from your big meals, it should be quite doable.

I've done 4.5k calories (and 160g protein) in three hours... and it sucked, but I managed, because fuck putting all that gym time in and not backing it with the right nutrition. If I was doing that over the course of 16 hours, I'd have no issues at all (I image I'd have problems the other way).

Still, everyone different and all that.

Edit - Also, I'd feel like shit if I ate more than one protein shake (even one can give me a headache), let alone three. Fuck that.
Getting in calories is easy.

I do IF for the sole reason that I have a massive appetite. I prefer eating massive meals.

I'm guilty of having a lot of protein shakes. I make this killer protein cake (whey, 50ml milk, cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder - mix and micro for 1 min). It's so damn could I could eat like 10 in a row.

ILoveBish

Great start at the gym, new gym is so different but I love the equipment. Also really enjoying 3/5/1, doesn't feel as hard off the bat. Hit 5 reps on 3s week easily so off to a good start.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Over the last week, I've gotten PRs on dips, curls, bench, deadlift, and squats. I was one rep away from getting one on overhead today.

I hope every week is like this.

Offer on house accepted, it's finally going to be home gym time. We made it bros.

That's what I thought... sadly in the UK the offer being accepted is just a small part of the nightmare.

As in like, really intense sessions of running/biking/stair climbing. Or putting on a weight vest and doing incline speed walks or stair climber.
I'm not really in agreement with the first part of that unless you add weight to it. Most runners have shit legs, most cyclists have shit legs.

Sprinters have great legs (train with weight), track cyclists have great legs (train with weight / at low cadence). I can definitely agree with climbing stairs with weight though. Holy shit does that work you.

Edit - Oops, double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom