• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

Finally was able to do squats without discomfort today! Used the powerlift 2.0s and they felt really gooooood.

But it could also be a bunch of other things that contributed. I hadn't squatted in about a month, it was a lighter weight, and again, the shoes with heels. We shall see.

Ha, there are definitely a couple of posters here who would fit that description.

Related, I wish I could get squat / deadlift shoes in the UK without being utterly ripped off. :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're such a stud Brolic. Nice work.

Me on the other hand... I'm so in maintenence mode that I totally skipped a tris exercise I planned on doing when I walked in. Motivation to truly push on anything that's not a compound sucks right now. #TeamAesthetics

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your press vids are such an inspiration dude (all of your lifts are but your press is what I've modelled mine after, to be frank). Thanks.

You're such a stud Brolic. Nice work.

Me on the other hand... I'm so in maintenence mode that I totally skipped a tris exercise I planned on doing when I walked in. Motivation to truly push on anything that's not a compound sucks right now. #TeamAesthetics

Thanks guys I appreciate it and take pride in the fact we keep good company here. Fitgaf is a great community, honestly the best on Neogaf and all of the regulars and some of the lurkers have massively impressive accomplishments. It's cool to see.

Failed 405# dl. How does one not fart. I stsrted going up but I was holding back a fart so I had to drop it.

Ever seen Frozen?

Any big lift I tend to make sure I don't need to take a leak / break wind / need a drink / whatever. Can't have things messing with my focus.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Increased weight on all my lifts tonight.
It's still low weight, but having progress feels good.

Lol switched to more fiber this week soooo.. My fsrts been so ripe. I can't at the gym. It was toxic driving there.and omg. Just had two small.slices of cream cheese praline pecan king cake. It was so good. I feel like eating the whole thing

mdsfx

Ugh... Finally hit 2x bodyweight deadlift @ 320lbs. My lower back is such a pu$$y.

Edit: Oh, that was actually 330! Well OK.

mdsfx

Ha, nice.

How long did it take you to get there, roughly?
Didn't happen until I started improving my form. It makes such a huge difference. Pretty sure most of my progress is from form alone and not necessarily gained strength.

I'm not sure if this was part of it, but wide-stance squats really hit the glutes and hamstrings which I've been doing a lot of.

Didn't happen until I started improving my form. It makes such a huge difference. Pretty sure most of my progress is from form alone and not necessarily gained strength.

I'm not sure if this was part of it, but wide-stance squats really hit the glutes and hamstrings which I've been doing a lot of.

I meant more since you started lifting. I'm assuming you weren't pulling nearly double your bodyweight on day one. ;)

i dont understand, why shouldnt a golfer squat/lift weights?

Because people are fucking idiots. The initial arguments was that he'd wreck his joints and get bulky... oldies, but goodies.

Most of the women I know still wont lift because of that "getting bulky" shit.

mdsfx

I meant more since you started lifting. I'm assuming you weren't pulling nearly double your bodyweight on day one. ;)

Sorry, I totally didn't answer your question. I started lifting maybe 3-4 years ago, but it goes without saying that for at least 1-2 years I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Honestly that could be true for golfing.

Not buying it. You're not talking about someone going for insane one rep maxes or bulking up on PEDs. You're talking about someone keeping themself in prime condition using a decent program in the gym. That sort of thing is actually going to aid his longevity in the sport, not harm it.

Sure, if he suddenly decided to go mental on his lats, triceps and the like he's probably going to fuck with his swing, but that's clearly not the case here.

Fox318

Not buying it. You're not talking about someone going for insane one rep maxes or bulking up on PEDs. You're talking about someone keeping themself in prime condition using a decent program in the gym. That sort of thing is actually going to aid his longevity in the sport, not harm it.

Sure, if he suddenly decided to go mental on his lats, triceps and the like he's probably going to fuck with his swing, but that's clearly not the case here.
I've heard stories of Tennis players only doing push and press motions for fear of building too much muscle to keep their form.

BTW... don't tiptoe out of the rack; make sure the J cups are at an appropriate height for you (should be chest height, and you should unrack with a hip thrust).

KillerBEA

Solid to me, bud. Post one at a heavier weight if you want (5RM) but that was great.

Looks fine at a light weight. A little lean forward on your toes (probably because you have squishy shoes on) but nothing major. Throw up a heavier weight like Bum said and it will be easier to spot problem areas.
When I go in tomorrow, I will try to remember to snag a video.

BTW... don't tiptoe out of the rack; make sure the J cups are at an appropriate height for you (should be chest height, and you should unrack with a hip thrust).

Ok, makes sense.

I've heard stories of Tennis players only doing push and press motions for fear of building too much muscle to keep their form.

Tennis doesn't have a real off-season, and as a pro you have to do a lot of travelling, so it's not an environment conducive to weight training. Especially when you factor in all the cardio they have to do.

If someone is looking to add power to their game, they will definitely do a strength building program, but I don't think any one other than Nadal regularly weight trains.

Long time no post, so here goes:

Weight - 175

Bench - 185 x 7
Deadlift - 375 x 3
Squat - Shame. I've been doing starting strength again for a month, and my lower back just stopped. Switched to front squats and life is better now.

I have a rotator cuff that's annoying the piss out of me, so I don't do dips anymore and I keep my pushups on the decline, but my bench is right back up where it was before, the deadlift is too, and the squats are just going to be altered forever.

Carb cycling, and I'm trying to get the weight down to between 155 - 160 over the next few months. Hunger headaches, here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom