• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNut

I must say, although i was skeptical, BCAA's seem to have dramatically reduced how much i ache the day after the gym, whether this is a placebo effect im not sure, but it's 100% noticeable

BumRush

I don't think I'm going to change my caloric intake for cut season, just up the intensity of my workouts.

I started today and I'm already dead.

Exercise 1: 3 sets of the following, only resting after a set:

DL: 10x185
Jumping Jacks: 2 minutes
BW Squats: 50
(that's one set)

Exercise 2: 3 sets of the following, only resting after a set:

Goblet Squats: 20x50
Mountain Climbers: 1 minute
Pull ups: 15
(that's one set)

Exercise 3: 3 sets

Power Clean: 8x135
Row: 8x135

Exercise 4: 3 sets to failure

BB biceps curl with no weight

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

ILoveBish

Down 3lbs overnight. PSMF is pretty beastly. Down to 225.0, 6.8lbs away from my lowest ever.

And thanks for the warm wishes on the house. Life long dream.

BumRush

Is it cut season already? I barely feel like I've bulked yet.

Not yet...but the times, they are a changin' psycho. It'll be on us before we know it. For now, 1 out of 4 workouts a week will be more cardio-focused.

inb4 BumRush starts CrossFit

To be honest, I ripped the workout from a men's health I was reading while I put the baby to sleep last night (with a few modifications). It definitely had the intended impact too.

mkenyon

Banned
And also, TBH, there is some good stuff in the Crossfit WODs, similar to what you have posted above.

I don't generally like the idea of making anaerobic exercises into aerobic axercises, but I also do like the idea of gaining some strength based endurance.

Suppose I can get a lot of that on an AirDyne.

mdsfx

I don't think I'm going to change my caloric intake for cut season, just up the intensity of my workouts.

I started today and I'm already dead.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

Yikes! This is my daily schedule:

30 minutes for my main compounds
35-40 min cardio (aiming for 500 calories based on heartrate and VO2 max)
15-20 min for more sets of main compounds and/or accessories

Edit: that's basically eating maintenance (1900cal)

SeanR1221

I think I'll ride maintenance out for another 3-4 weeks then start cutting again.

Basically how high can I get my calories while maintaining weight first.

I'm 100 calories away from where I started :)

I think I've got at least another month of bulking ahead, maybe more. I've only recently started increasing my lifts again (put on a bunch of weight, but no strength), I think possibly that was stress related because of this whole house nightmare.

I have a somewhat easier time losing fat than a lot of you though, what with the minimum of 8 hours a week of cardio.

SeanR1221

I think I've got at least another month of bulking ahead, maybe more. I've only recently started increasing my lifts again (put on a bunch of weight, but no strength), I think possibly that was stress related because of this whole house nightmare.

I have a somewhat easier time losing fat than a lot of you though, what with the minimum of 8 hours a week of cardio.

Good point.

Although my wife got in for the philly broad street run (10 miles) so I might go on some runs with her while she trains to keep her company.

0EAaWh8.jpg

lmao

Fox318

I've got fantastic genetics for my calves.

Must suck to be you people.

Then again it is tough to find good fitting pants because my calves are so big for my height.

I went in to get my blood tests today. Doctor said I looked really good <mental fist pump>

Was he / she hot?

Unrelated, that turbo trainer session was strange. Was supposed to be a relatively easy one but I ended up averaging 86% max heart rate and hitting 99% max heart rate peak. I felt wrecked when I finished. Very strange. Maybe to do with that deadlift PR yesterday? Not sure.

lmao... I was just getting changed and tensed my legs a bit. The missus looked at them in horror, saying they looked freaky, like I'd blown them up with a bike pump.

I've finally made it bros. lol

Interestingly enough, I also went to the doctor this week and was told that I looked good and fit too. Then told me I have an ear infection :/

Also, shitty squat day yesterday. Stalled on 325 again, but this time it was completely mental. I had done the first set and felt okay, but then on the second set (which was the one I had failed on last time) I just wasn't mentally there. I did one rep and just said nope even though I knew I could do more. I felt so weak.

I did finally PR on OHP at 120 3X5 though and DL at 295. I think I might have to change things up a bit. Don't think I can be doing the whole squatting every workout at this pace.

mkenyon

Banned
I did finally PR on OHP at 120 3X5 though and DL at 295. I think I might have to change things up a bit. Don't think I can be doing the whole squatting every workout at this pace.
I hit the same issue at almost the same exact weight as you. I had to put squat and DL on different days.

Right now, I'm doing Squat/Bench, and DL/OHP.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I hit the same issue at almost the same exact weight as you. I had to put squat and DL on different days.

Right now, I'm doing Squat/Bench, and DL/OHP.

Exactly the same for me, my body just can't take the squats every time with all the other stuff I'm doing.

Teggy

So once I am done with my cut, can I expect my rear delts to grow from doing compounds or will I need to add in some extra arm work? I can see the groundwork for all of my muscles except for my rear delts, which are almost nonexistent, especially in my left arm. I really want rounded shoulders, because it goes a long way towards making your arms look bigger. If I do have to add something, what's the most bang for the buck?

Example, Michael B. Jordan's shoulder looks like a round ball:

BumRush

You won't get THERE with just compounds. I'm sure MBJ did extensive accessory work.

Make sure you add rows as a compound if youre not currently doing them. Additionally, lateral raises will give you the best bang for your buck as far as non-compounds go.

Other great exercises to sprinkle in: face pulls, reverse pec deck, reverse flyes.

Teggy

You won't get THERE with just compounds. I'm sure MBJ did extensive accessory work.

Make sure you add rows as a compound if youre not currently doing them. Additionally, lateral raises will give you the best bang for your buck as far as non-compounds go.

Other great exercises to sprinkle in: face pulls, reverse pec deck, reverse flyes.

Yeah, I do Yates rows, but I think they target lower back a lot more than arms. I could switch to Pendlay's if it would make more sense for arms.

I'd like to add just one accessory to hit them if possible. I like going to the gym, but I don't like living there ;)

BumRush

Yeah, I do Yates rows, but I think they target lower back a lot more than arms. I could switch to Pendlay's if it would make more sense for arms.

I'd like to add just one accessory to hit them if possible. I like going to the gym, but I don't like living there ;)

Then definitely heavy lateral DB raises. Try to do 3 sets of 8.

Fox318

I don't think I could hate a workout more than Barbell rows.

No matter what form I do it sucks.

Never feels controlled or never feels like enough weight.

Teggy

Ok, today's pet peeve while I'm waiting for a rack.

People who don't put locks on their lockers. If you feel comfortable about people in the gym, that's great. But don't make me check 10 lockers before I can find an unused one.

Ok, today's pet peeve while I'm waiting for a rack.

People who don't put locks on their lockers. If you feel comfortable about people in the gym, that's great. But don't make me check 10 lockers before I can find an unused one.

My gym has a huge problem with this too. so frustrating.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I consider my shoulders probably my best feature and I exhaust the shit out of them. Heavy OHP and ligher/hi rep OHP. Sets of 15 on all raises; front, side, rear. To get big round shoulders it takes a lot of effort. Shoulder day is my longest day.

BumRush

I considered my shoulders probably my best feature and I exhaust the shit out of them. Heavy OHP and ligher/hi rep OHP. Sets of 15 on all raises; front, side, rear. To get big round shoulders it takes a lot of effort. Shoulder day is my longest day.

We just became best friends...again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom