• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Thanks guys, I'll see what I want to plug in.

And to be clear, I don't expect to look like the picture, I just would like that basic shape. I've seen plenty of guys at the gym with very slight builds but round rear delts.

Teggy

OK, I need a little more help with my deadlift. I've been trying to work on keeping my shoulders tight but I'm having some issues. Here's a video of 2 reps:

https://youtu.be/dR0cxyHN8BY

1. So first, my arms feel like they are literally too short. When I lean my shins to the bar, I really can't reach the bar if my shoulders are back

2. I don't know if I can keep the weight up with my shoulders. Does this just mean I have to strengthen my upper back? If so, what's the best way to achieve this?

3. Last, and maybe this doesn't matter, but I definitely can't touch and go while doing this because I lose tension in my shoulders when I drop the bar. Maybe that's fine, I'll just have to reset after each rep.

At least I hope my bar drop looks better?

Skinny guy here who has troubling putting on weight here and I was hoping I could get some advice if I'm starting my new workout lifestyle properly.

I want to put on some muscle, so I've been eating more (healthy) calories and making sure I get more protein. I'm starting to do strength training, but am not really in a position where I can go to a gym. So, obviously, I doing it at home. My question: Is the following workout, which I got off NerdFitness, a good starting point for someone in my position (meaning skinny and just starting to workout)? This is it:

20 Body Squats
10 Push-Ups
20 Full-Body Lunges
15 Dumbbell Rows
30 seconds of planks
30 Jumping Jacks

Then, repeat twice.

I honestly though it was going to be really easy from watching their video on it, but it actually took a lot out of me, especially the push-ups. Is this a good place to start for building muscle?

BumRush

Once I win the 2nd annual Mrs. Mkenyon sweet 16 we will truly be equals...

Bud, you're already there and more. You're one of my few fitness inspirations and that's better than any competition.

With that being said, Mrs. Kenyon...it'll only be a few more months. Hang tight...bum will post something nice for you.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Bud, you're already there and more. You're one of my few fitness inspirations and that's better than any competition.

With that being said, Mrs. Kenyon...it'll only be a few more months. Hang tight...bum will post something nice for you.
Thanks Bum. Your positivity around here is really appreciated. I'll hold it down out west and you on the east!

Skinny guy here who has troubling putting on weight here and I was hoping I could get some advice if I'm starting my new workout lifestyle properly.

I want to put on some muscle, so I've been eating more (healthy) calories and making sure I get more protein. I'm starting to do strength training, but am not really in a position where I can go to a gym. So, obviously, I doing it at home. My question: Is the following workout, which I got off NerdFitness, a good starting point for someone in my position (meaning skinny and just starting to workout)? This is it:

20 Body Squats
10 Push-Ups
20 Full-Body Lunges
15 Dumbbell Rows
30 seconds of planks
30 Jumping Jacks

Then, repeat twice.

I honestly though it was going to be really easy from watching their video on it, but it actually took a lot out of me, especially the push-ups. Is this a good place to start for building muscle?

keep in mind you want to eat in a surplus to gain muscle.

despire

I think I'll ride maintenance out for another 3-4 weeks then start cutting again.

Basically how high can I get my calories while maintaining weight first.

I'm 100 calories away from where I started :)

This is my plan as well though I'm still a few weeks away from my supposed TDEE. Probably gonna keep upping my cals by 50 per week after hitting it. Then after a month or so gonna cut the last few kilos. Got my abs pretty visible (depends on the light like always!) but there's still a little jiggly stuff at the bottom.

Been feeling a bit down for a few days, can't decide if I'm down with the flu or not. Got some shit in my throat and feeling kinda funny from time to time. Then again I've been able to train just fine and have been at work. Skipped todays workout though so I could get more sleep and hopefully get this over with quicker. Bummer.

TripOpt55

I took a week off my diet around Christmas... then that turned into the month of January off. Oops! Honestly I think it was good to take a break. I had been trying to lose weight since July and a little time off from it may help keep me sane. I went back on the diet in February and am back around 185 now. So it was 207 (July) - 184 (pre-Christmas) - 189 (as high as I weighed in some time in January) - 185 (now). I did some HIIT workouts this month to kind of jump start my weight loss a bit too while I worked on getting the diet back on track. Anyway, happy to have things back in order.

JoeNut

edit: whoops

So here's my 12 month before after, I feel the fittest I ever have and my main goal right now is 6 pack, 100% body weight BP.
I imagine you guys are gonna tell my I'm a skinny ass but that's not a bad thing considering how fat I looked before and had literally no muscle
alp4x5.jpg

ffs i don't know how to do it

This is my plan as well though I'm still a few weeks away from my supposed TDEE. Probably gonna keep upping my cals by 50 per week after hitting it.

50 per week? That can't be right can it? The calorie info on what you're eating will be less accurate than that... it's basically a rounding error on your daily intake.

250? 500? Per day?

edit: whoops

So here's my 12 month before after, I feel the fittest I ever have and my main goal right now is 6 pack, 100% body weight BP.
I imagine you guys are gonna tell my I'm a skinny ass but that's not a bad thing considering how fat I looked before and had literally no muscle
alp4x5.jpg

ffs i don't know how to do it

You're trying to use a banned image host. I guessed your link and rehosted it for you: http://i.imgur.com/Hp46RKj.jpg

Now you can put that in a new post.

despire

50 per week? That can't be right can it? The calorie info on what you're eating will be less accurate than that... it's basically a rounding error on your daily intake.

250? 500? Per day?

Yeah it's not that accurate but idea is basically to just creep it up as slowly as possible. Currently upping 100kcal per week.

Teggy

Squat form check #2

135 this time. Wasn't sure what weight I should do, so I played it a tiny bit safe. Lowered the J Cups and took my shoes off so I am squatting in socks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrvHF33u0zo

Quick question, are you trying to do high bar or low bar? At least from this angle it looks like something in between. But it looks like you are getting depth more associated with high bar (well below parallel). A side angle would probably be most helpful.

JoeNut

Now you can put that in a new post.

Hey cheers for that! well anyway yeah, here's my 12 months since day 1 in the gym, i feel like i know what i'm doing a bit more than i did 12 months ago (got rid of working on the machines and only use free weights now)
the first pic is the only one i can find, i'd barely ever been to a gym.

Hp46RKj.jpg

i'm doing tough mudder this year and hope to put on some weight once i've got some abs to show, but really feel so much fitter than i ever have.

Cheers to everyone on here for keeping me inspired

KillerBEA

Quick question, are you trying to do high bar or low bar? At least from this angle it looks like something in between. But it looks like you are getting depth more associated with high bar (well below parallel). A side angle would probably be most helpful.
High bar, although it might be a touch low.
Looks pretty solid to me. Bit of knee wobble, but that can happen.

Thanks, and thanks for pointing out the j cup thing. For some reason I never really thought about it.

KillerBEA

Looks great but the weight looks too easy for you still. How'd you like going barefoot? (that's the only way I'll squat now)

Indeed, it felt easier than normal. Wasn't expecting it to be that way, and I did low ball my 5 rep max. I have been doing extra squats at my warm up weight (95 lbs) everyday since Tuesday. Since deadlifts are my focus on Fridays I didn't want to overdo the squats. Can tell a difference in how easy that recorded set went.

Barefoot feels much better. Probably gonna switch to only barefoot for deadlifts and squats.

BumRush

Indeed, it felt easier than normal. Wasn't expecting it to be that way, and I did low ball my 5 rep max. I have been doing extra squats at my warm up weight (95 lbs) everyday since Tuesday. Since deadlifts are my focus on Fridays I didn't want to overdo the squats. Can tell a difference in how easy that recorded set went.

Barefoot feels much better. Probably gonna switch to only barefoot for deadlifts and squats.

Nice work man! #teambarefoot

On the subject of footwear... help me out guys. As I'm starting to do heavier weights I'm considering replacing my old squishy cross shoes with something a little more appropriate.

My choices are these (anything else either not available in the UK or stupid expensive):

Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes

Adidas Powerlift 2

Adidas Power Perfect 2

Inov 8 Fastlift 335

Anyone have any thoughts on those?

#teambarefoot?

Chocobro

On the subject of footwear... help me out guys. As I'm starting to do heavier weights I'm considering replacing my old squishy cross shoes with something a little more appropriate.

My choices are these (anything else either not available in the UK or stupid expensive):

Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes

Adidas Powerlift 2

Adidas Power Perfect 2

Inov 8 Fastlift 335

Anyone have any thoughts on those?

Power Perfect 2 is the best one in the list, if you wanted a short answer.

I still wouldn't trust the Powerlift 2 because the heel compresses when used at a high total weight and I don't know if they changed the material of the heel to prevent that. Power Perfect 2 doesn't have the same problem. I would stay away from the Do Wins and the Inov 8 and stick with the top shoes (Romaleos, Adipowers, Power Perfect 2, Antas).

Yeah, those other ones you mentioned are a min of 250 USD in the UK, so I definitely wont be going with those (can't get Antas as far as I can tell).

Will do some more reading on the difference between the powerlift and the power perfect. Cheers.

BumRush

Yeah, those other ones you mentioned are a min of 250 USD in the UK, so I definitely wont be going with those (can't get Antas as far as I can tell).

Will do some more reading on the difference between the powerlift and the power perfect. Cheers.

As always, if you need me to buy them and ship them over I'll gladly do it. Just PM.

Hey cheers for that! well anyway yeah, here's my 12 months since day 1 in the gym, i feel like i know what i'm doing a bit more than i did 12 months ago (got rid of working on the machines and only use free weights now)
the first pic is the only one i can find, i'd barely ever been to a gym.

Hp46RKj.jpg

i'm doing tough mudder this year and hope to put on some weight once i've got some abs to show, but really feel so much fitter than i ever have.

Cheers to everyone on here for keeping me inspired

Dude, excellent work shedding that belly fat...especially given the fact that (admittedly) your first few months of lifting were haphazard and probably didn't help much. Now - in my opinion - you should put some muscle on that frame. Up the calories, up the weight, HIIT.

As always, if you need me to buy them and ship them over I'll gladly do it. Just PM.

Thanks for the offer. Might be a touch risky on shoes as I wouldn't be surprised if I end up getting the wrong size.

I might definitely take one of you lot up on the offer of strange flavour quest bar shipping one day though. :)

Chocobro

Yeah, only ways to get Anta's is if you buy them from the Hookgrip website or have a Chinese contact to hook you up. HG ships from the US. They only sell red Anta's because the Chinese contact said non-red colors are only for Chinese champions
; Lu Xiaojun has gold Anta, Liao Hui has green Anta, Long Qingquan has blue Anta, and there are a few more I haven't seen yet.

Do you need the heel in the shoes though? They're all weightlifting shoes and, as far as I know, you don't do weightlifting. Just to be clear, weightlifting = Olympic weightlifting, before anyone gets offended.

Teggy

Do you need the heel in the shoes though? They're all weightlifting shoes and, as far as I know, you don't do weightlifting. Just to be clear, weightlifting = Olympic weightlifting, before anyone gets offended.

I just pick stuff up and put it down so I wear Chucks.

Actually, I also pull stuff up, so let me make a note here. Yesterday I did 3x5 chin-ups bw+23.5lbs. This means that on Tuesday I will likely do 3x5 bw+25lbs. Regardless of how much weight I can pick up off the floor or hold on my back right now, this is by far the achievement I am most proud of. Back in just October I couldn't do two chin-ups in a row. At all. I'm just blown away by this.

I want them for squatting, where the heel is useful.

I deadlift in socks.

Pachimari

Ugh, I can't get my chin up bar to stay onto the wall. I decided to put it up on the wall, instead of the ceiling but when I'm hanging there, it kind of falls off. :(

I also got a guy to show me how to change my diet, and I have been shopping healthy food today. Excited about this.

SeanR1221

Last nights dinner. Peanut butter chocolate stuffed banana pancake sandwiches

I love these Kodiak cakes mixed with the dark chocolate dreams

YLhGPDFh.jpg

mdsfx

Last nights dinner. Peanut butter chocolate stuffed banana pancake sandwiches

I love these Kodiak cakes mixed with the dark chocolate dreams

Holy hell that looks good. I might try this minus the banana. I also love my Kodiak pancake mix. I have it every Saturday in one form or another (usually waffles).

crpav

I weigh myself every other day at the gym just because. Friday is usually the day I am at the weight I like.... last Friday I was at 172. I upped my calories by only 50 each day. Today I was 175.2. I know it's just a normal fluctuation and could be from water weight or other but come on scale. Was hoping to see a very small difference so I could up the calories a little more since I am still sitting way too low for what I probably should be(was 1800 and went to 1850).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom