• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Just reposting from the last page in case anyone had some thoughts.

OK, I need a little more help with my deadlift. I've been trying to work on keeping my shoulders tight but I'm having some issues. Here's a video of 2 reps:

https://youtu.be/dR0cxyHN8BY

1. So first, my arms feel like they are literally too short. When I lean my shins to the bar, I really can't reach the bar if my shoulders are back

2. I don't know if I can keep the weight up with my shoulders. Does this just mean I have to strengthen my upper back? If so, what's the best way to achieve this?

3. Last, and maybe this doesn't matter, but I definitely can't touch and go while doing this because I lose tension in my shoulders when I drop the bar. Maybe that's fine, I'll just have to reset after each rep.

At least I hope my bar drop looks better?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Coot, you still doing no rest days?

Sean, you look dope, brother.
I'm not strict about it and I'll take a day off here and there. That being said, I'm on a 13 day streak at the moment.

And yes Sean, looking great. Massive shoulders you've got there man.

SeanR1221

Beard gainz.

Nice traps, Sean.

Power cleans 5/3/1, so far so good.

115lbs x 5, 130x5, 145x6 today

Coot, you still doing no rest days?

Sean, you look dope, brother.

I'm not strict about it and I'll take a day off here and there. That being said, I'm on a 13 day streak at the moment.

And yes Sean, looking great. Massive shoulders you've got there man.

Thanks fit bros. I figured Brolic has a beard. Darth has a beard. Cooter has a beard...what's the common aspect of all these guys ;)

Side note, the wife does not like the beard :/

BumRush

Thanks fit bros. I figured Brolic has a beard. Darth has a beard. Cooter has a beard...what's the common aspect of all these guys ;)

Side note, the wife does not like the beard :/

I've got one too. Trimmed it recently but usually keep it thicker than yours. Wife loves it! Grab some honest amish beard balm to keep that baby soft.

Just reposting from the last page in case anyone had some thoughts.

Hey bud, I'm giving the baby a bath so I can't watch too closely right now but one thing that sticks out immediately is that you're lifting with your arms / coming straight up and down instead of letting the weight come in towards you. I'll look closer later.

Teggy

I've got one too. Trimmed it recently but usually keep it thicker than yours. Wife loves it! Grab some honest amish beard balm to keep that baby soft.

Hey bud, I'm giving the baby a bath so I can't watch too closely right now but one thing that sticks out immediately is that you're lifting with your arms / coming straight up and down instead of letting the weight come in towards you. I'll look closer later.

I'd appreciate it, thank you. So you mean I should be trying to pull the bar more against my legs on the way up?

OK, I was getting a bit bummed this morning about my weight staying the same. I had originally hoped to be at 180 at the start of Feb and 170 by mid-March, but that looks unlikely right now.

So I sat down and tracked down some older pictures and looked up my weight at the time. I found one from a few years ago where I was at about the same exact weight I am now (a little under 185, and I was probably closer to 183 or so at that time). The difference is night and day. Back then I was downright soft. Now I have my adonis belt starting to pop and abs getting ready to show. So I'm feeling pretty good. I just need to stick to the plan and keep going. I'd post the pictures but I'd rather wait until I get to 170 for the full effect.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All these gains, and you mofos aren't even close to my level. I can make wood fired pizza on my grill and did so last night. GOML scrubs!

I used to think like you, then I embraced the Cooter protocol and the rest is history.

I'd completely failed to lose decent weight for quite a few weeks and was getting properly depressed about the situation. Just spinning my wheels. Then I started having massive cheat days and being strict the rest of the week (actually no more strict then I was being already, but I'd say my intake was higher because of the cheat days).

This is what happened to my weight...

92zT4Av.png

Obviously you can see a ton of weight gained on the weekend, but by the end of the week it was all gone and more. No question in my mind that I'll be doing it again when I'm cutting.

(Though I'd note, I wouldn't do it if you're really quite fat... but based on what you're saying, I don't think you are.)

SeanR1221

You are forever known as cheat meal scrub lord, begone cheat meal peasant.

This made me legit burst out laughing.

Speaking of cheats I'm feeling shake shack tonight. It's going to be 60 degrees so it's a good excuse to bring the dog and get her some of their pup ice cream.

Mine hated mine. In the end I had to get rid of it, worst I'm allowed now is designer stubble.

I told her to deal with it the beard stays!

look at you looking all pretty and fancy

Not until my hairs longer. It's grown a lot in 3 months but I still want it fairly long on top. Get that nice swoosh

SeanR1221

I used to think like you, then I embraced the Cooter protocol and the rest is history.

I'd completely failed to lose decent weight for quite a few weeks and was getting properly depressed about the situation. Just spinning my wheels. Then I started having massive cheat days and being strict the rest of the week (actually no more strict then I was being already, but I'd say my intake was higher because of the cheat days).

This is what happened to my weight...

92zT4Av.png

Obviously you can see a ton of weight gained on the weekend, but by the end of the week it was all gone and more. No question in my mind that I'll be doing it again when I'm cutting.

(Though I'd note, I wouldn't do it if you're really quite fat... but based on what you're saying, I don't think you are.)

Great chart example. Here's mine.

zeOF9xx.png

Those ups and downs are critical. If you're trending down you're on the right track.

You'll buckle when you don't get any more sex. :p

Until then, beard on :)

BumRush

How does balm differ from oil? I have some nice oil I use daily.

I use both, but when the beard gets long I feel that the balm smooths it out a little more. Try it.

I'd appreciate it, thank you. So you mean I should be trying to pull the bar more against my legs on the way up?

Yes. By going straight up and down, you're asking a lot of your arms and shoulders when your legs and back should be doing the majority of the work.

Can anyone recommend a simple HIIT routine? I want to start doing sprints twice a week, but I'm unclear on the programming. I was running 6-8 miles for awhile and it's begun to get boring. I'm also not seeing as many benefits as I used to.

I'd be doing weight training on the other three days I work out, by the way.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Has anyone used On Serious Mass before and would you recommend it?

Joined the popular kids and got a pair of fat grips today... except unlike the popular kids I went for a knock off version.

It's just like being the poor kid in school again!

Fat Gripz don't work properly with 1" dumbbells and barbells.

Teggy

Sorry, I had just headed out to the gym
and then to get meatballs
when you wrote this.

The Subway comment was just a joke about my jealousy for Brolic's more flexible diet at the moment. The plan for today is pizza for dinner and I'm snacking on a bag of dark chocolate M&M's throughout the day.

I've always done cheat meals/days pretty religiously when trying to lose weight but at the start of the year I wanted to see if waiting for a longer period of time between them would work better for me. The super bowl was my first of this year and I've been doing them weekly since. Here's my graph:

I was just a bit bummed this morning because I had great results last week and no results this week.

In other news, my bloodwork came back normal so we'll be playing wait and see for another month. I do think I've been feeling fewer heart palpitations, but I did 3x5 squats @230 today and the very last one was passing out territory.

More positively, I finally made 3x5 132.5 on bench, so I will finally get to attempt 135 on Thursday. I feel like I can do it, but I'm not sure I'll make it much further before I need a deload.

Funnily enough, I nearly passed out doing squats the other day. I wanted to finish off a workout with a bit of a leg pump so I squatted... I don't know, some small weight plus the bar, for about 20 reps.

Walked over to turn the stereo off and figured it would probably be a good idea to just kneel down for a while. lol

Bollocks to it, heart rate variability test told me to take a rest day... it's nearly 10pm, I've been unpacking boxes and doing all sorts of shit all day. I'm taking a rest day.

/checks pulse

Yup, surprisingly still alive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Do any of you guys measure your arms as your progressing?

If so, how much of a difference have you notice per month, or whatever frame of time you use to measure?

Teggy

Do any of you guys measure your arms as your progressing?

If so, how much of a difference have you notice per month, or whatever frame of time you use to measure?

I don't, but I think I might start once I start bulking. Bodybuilding.com lets you track all your measurements.

I can't say I've ever really cared about measurements for progress; I prefer to go by what I see in the mirror / how I feel.

I know that people like shooting for X inch biceps and the like though. :)

Edit - I did once have a goal of hitting 29" waist, but that was mostly because it was a measurement I had from when I was in my early twenties and I never thought I'd get back there. I did though.

BumRush

Can anyone recommend a simple HIIT routine? I want to start doing sprints twice a week, but I'm unclear on the programming. I was running 6-8 miles for awhile and it's begun to get boring. I'm also not seeing as many benefits as I used to.

I'd be doing weight training on the other three days I work out, by the way.

I do 15 minutes on the treadmill, alternating 1 minute @ 10.0 and 1 minute @ 6.5 followed by around 7 more minutes of walking at an incline of 10.0 (the last 7 minutes is just so I can finish watching the episode of always sunny in watching).

SeanR1221

Hey your beard is getting there too. :) Looks good.

Thank you sir :). Hope to be on your beard level soon enough.

Our big, then little, then big, then ripped Sean is all growns up!

What you been up to? You still cutting? What are you weighing in at these days?

Not ripped yet! But I'm highly considering going on a very strict cut 2-3 months before August to see where I can get before my trip.

Cooter

Thank you sir :). Hope to be on your beard level soon enough.

Not ripped yet! But I'm highly considering going on a very strict cut 2-3 months before August to see where I can get before my trip.
I say do it. Only look at the scale as a guide and don't pick a number as a goal. You may very well drop to 170. You're 5'8 right?

The Wall

Banned
Making minor progress but still progress. Easing back into yoga and simple at-home work outs atm. It's good to not be so stiff anymore

mdsfx

What are you having?
I had 4 eggs, 4 waffles with maple syrup, and sausage links for breakfast, which isn't that much really (maybe 1100 calories). Between lunch and dinner I had 4 potbelly sandwiches, beer, wine, bourbon, homemade dark chocolate cheesecake, and too many cookies to count. I'm not done yet :)

I think I'm at about 4k calories. That's alot for me coming from 1900cal 6 days a week.

Cooter

I have a pound of ground beef with mustard, ketchup, sliced pickles, 2 cups of broccoli fleurettes, and sometimes melted cheddar...feels like a cheat day every day. :)
Who is this imposter? The legend of FitGaf warmly referred to as MTP would never type this out.

Cooter

I had 4 eggs, 4 waffles with maple syrup, and sausage links for breakfast, which isn't that much really (maybe 1100 calories). Between lunch and dinner I had 4 potbelly sandwiches, beer, wine, bourbon, homemade dark chocolate cheesecake, and too many cookies to count. I'm not done yet :)

I think I'm at about 4k calories. That's alot for me coming from 1900cal 6 days a week.

I go 1500 5 days a week and over 10k for two. Step up your cheat day game Michael!

Out of state tonight for things with people. Been hitting pubs, bars n stuff all night. I don't drink but I keep ordering food at every place XD 2.5k down in 3 hours. Not super healthy, obviously but I'm allowed to eat like dirt every once in a while. More places to go yet so I hope to hit at least 4k in after dinner calories before the night is over. Will put me close to 8k for the day. Probably my largest haul in years and the best part is I'm flying tight - 80-100 every hour on the hour with my glucose. Got my pump dialed in just right. Feels good to be able to flex the diet on demand :D

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Broccoli feels like cheat day? You sicken me.

Who is this imposter? The legend of FitGaf warmly referred to as MTP would never type this out.

It's my only greens besides avocados (250-300cal each!)...!

Had to stop drinking milk, the diarrhea multiple times a day just wasn't sustainable...

Morning shake is now:

4 XL eggs
2 cups oats
L banana
Scoop Whey
500ml water

1300 cals

Just had 4 slices of BBQ chicken pizza and 1L of natural OJ, time for some ketchup chips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom