• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dipping belt just arrived. Not that I'll be using it for weighted dips, because my shitty shoulders can't handle them, but it should make doing weighted pullups better (I was using a weighted vest, which just got in the way).

What did you end up buying?

I've been thinking of getting something like that as it's not very comfortable to hold a dumbbell between my feet when doing weighted pull ups.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Was working out today and decided to do bent over row instead of seated. While doing my second set i pulled a muscle in my mid back, right side. Immediately stopped and stretched some more to see if it would help. Ended up going on the rowing machine instead for 20 minutes (which was probably stupid in retrospect)

Anyways, what are some good ways to relieve the muscle? So far I've gone with a good hot shower and relaxing.

I'm finding it difficult to maintain the 3100 calories I eat now for my bulk, couldn't imagine how crazy the amount of food I'd have to consume for 10k, let alone how much that could cost me :/.

I'm now switching to squatting every other workout, I finally conquered 325 3X5 but I've got to let my joints rest if I'm going to keep increasing the weight. Plus I've added the paused BP, dumbbell BP and cable flys to my chest workouts and the DOMS is so real right now.

Our big, then little, then big, then ripped Sean is all growns up!

What you been up to? You still cutting? What are you weighing in at these days?
Nah I've been bulking the past couple of months, somewhat sloppily lol. Bad habit, but I'm back up to 215 right now. Going to cut down in a couple months.

Damn tonsillitis knocked the shit out of me, couldn't train properly for a week.

Anyway, someone was talking about weight lifting shoes (for squats) the other day, can't find the comments about the best shoes. Any ideas?

What did you end up buying?

I've been thinking of getting something like that as it's not very comfortable to hold a dumbbell between my feet when doing weighted pull ups.

I got this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Body-Squad-Dipping-Belt/dp/B00IWMC

Anyway, someone was talking about weight lifting shoes (for squats) the other day, can't find the comments about the best shoes. Any ideas?

Consensus was Adipowers, Romaleos, Power Perfect 2s and some other brand I couldn't remember because they weren't in the UK.

I've been gaining weight lately and think of going with a 1500 cal diet (600 deficit). What is the to go macros for weight loss these days?

Pachimari

I don't understand why myfitnesspal doesn't use the weight data in the withing's health mate app, as I have linked the two.

Anyway, I have started with my new diet, and is eating fat free and sugarfree yogurt (I don't know what it's called in English but in Scandinavia we call it Skyr) mixed with banana, raisins and almonds in the morning. And then dark bread with no butter for lunch. I were told I shouldn't drink milk and I should not eat pasta. Which is weird as the personal trainer I had some years ago told me to eat pasta instead of rice and potatoes.

Uhh... no milk? Unless you're lactose intolerant I really don't get that.

Also, the reason for the contradiction is that no-one knows what the fuck they're talking about.

Pachimari

I'm gonna drink milk and chocolate milk anyway, that's what I were always planning on doing. I guess it should be the one with low fat.

I started on a bodyweight split routine that looks like this:

Mon/Wed/Fri

50 Pullups
100 Pushups
100 Squats
100 Situps
50 Hanging Leg Raises

Tue/Thu/Sat

50 Inverted Row
50 Dips
100 Lunges
100 Calf Raises
100 Back Extension

Planks everyday
1000 jump rope everyday

Teggy

I don't understand why myfitnesspal doesn't use the weight data in the withing's health mate app, as I have linked the two.

Anyway, I have started with my new diet, and is eating fat free and sugarfree yogurt (I don't know what it's called in English but in Scandinavia we call it Skyr) mixed with banana, raisins and almonds in the morning. And then dark bread with no butter for lunch. I were told I shouldn't drink milk and I should not eat pasta. Which is weird as the personal trainer I had some years ago told me to eat pasta instead of rice and potatoes.

Bread for lunch? That's it? What about dinner?

I'd suggest you use one of the calculators out there - there are ones of varying complexity at myfitnesspal.com, iifym.com, 1percentedge.com/ifcalc, etc. Plug in your height/weight/age and it will tell you how many calories you should eat to meet a variety of goals and the amounts of nutrients to stay healthy.

You don't need a crazy diet to lose weight, just a calorie deficit. I eat about 1750 calories per day currently and generally eat something like the following:

Breakfast - a high protein french toast or eggs with turkey bacon

Lunch - a variety of quick meals like canned chicken or tuna with rice or leftover dinner + vegetables

Dinner - chicken tex-mex wrap/turkey chili/meatloaf/fish/variety of chicken recipes + vegetables

Snacks - usually two of protein shake/quest bar/peanut butter/chips and salsa/hummus/nuts

Just find foods that have a decent protein count and aren't high in sugar and fit them into your macros. Oh, and don't be afraid of fat - you need it, although you'll be sticking to the unsaturated variety.

BumRush

I started on a bodyweight split routine that looks like this:

Mon/Wed/Fri

50 Pullups
100 Pushups
100 Squats
100 Situps
50 Hanging Leg Raises

Tue/Thu/Sat

50 Inverted Row
50 Dips
100 Lunges
100 Calf Raises
100 Back Extension

Planks everyday
1000 jump rope everyday

Just be careful as eventually your body will get accustomed to that volume. Have a plan to add (weight, volume or additional exercises) at intervals down the line.

SeanR1221

That feeling of going down a lb after a cheat day and you're not even trying to lose weight 🙋

185...all time low. Haven't been this since 2012

Szu

Thanks fit bros. I figured Brolic has a beard. Darth has a beard. Cooter has a beard...what's the common aspect of all these guys ;)

Side note, the wife does not like the beard :/

Can't grow a beard and I'm not as strong or as pretty as your wife.

:(

Pachimari

So this is the chin up bar I talked about the other day which I bought. I can't get it to stick to the wall, as it falls off when I'm hanging there.

JFXRuaE.jpg

Pachimari

You're drilling it to the wood in the back righr?

No, there's no wood. But that was actually what I am planning to do on Tuesday. It seems that there need to be wood between the bar and the wall?

The box did come with two small plates of wood, but I thought that was just for protection.

No, there's no wood. But that was actually what I am planning to do on Tuesday. It seems that there need to be wood between the bar and the wall?
Usually behind the wall there's wood/post/beam or whatever you call it lol.
But you're probably better off waiting for someone that knows what they are talking about though

Teggy

The box did come with two small plates of wood, but I thought that was just for protection.

Yeah that absolutely needs to be going into the studs.

In the UK they're called studs, and if you aint drilling into them, you're basically drilling into an empty space. Which... you could technically do with drywall, if you wanted to put a light shelf up or something... but not a big old bar that you plan on hanging onto.

My suggestion, if you know a handyman or someone generally useful with DIY, go and speak to them before you totally fuck up your wall.

Pachimari

Is there a reason why you didn't get a pull-up bar that hooks to the door frame?

I had one of those but there's nowhere I can put it.

And I have rawplugs inside the wholes in the wall, but I guess I need to put the wooden plates in between the chin up bar and the wall as well.

[edit] But do I really need to use these wooden plates that came in the package? They are really thin and I can't imagine them giving any support:

The rawplugs are irrelevant if you're putting them in the wrong place. Seriously, speak to someone who knows this shit. Advising you here is not going to help you find the right place to drill into the wall.

Teggy

I had one of those but there's nowhere I can put it.

And I have rawplugs inside the wholes in the wall, but I guess I need to put the wooden plates in between the chin up bar and the wall as well.

[edit] But do I really need to use these wooden plates that came in the package? They are really thin and I can't imagine them giving any support:

I honestly have no idea what you would use those for. You can use toggle bolts to give you more support in drywall, but there must be studs in your wall to screw into. Do you have a stud finder? If not, go to the hardware store and grab one, a magnetic one will be super cheap.

Pachimari

Oh, I thought I could just drill it into anywhere in the wall, as that is basically the only place there's space for it. I'm gonna watch some guide videos.

[edit] This is basically what I have done. Maybe there's dust in the holes though, as I think I forgot to blow it out.

mdsfx

Oh, I thought I could just drill it into anywhere in the wall, as that is basically the only place there's space for it. I'm gonna watch some guide videos.
Did you just mount it to drywall or did you make sure to mount to a stud or something structural?

What is your wall construction?

Teggy

Wait, that wall is concrete? Then maybe you made your anchor holes too big. I assume the thing came with plastic anchors that go into the hole you drilled? Then you need to make sure the hole is just big enough to get the anchors in and then they will expand to be super tight when you put the screw in.

Pachimari

Wait, that wall is concrete? Then maybe you made your anchor holes too big. I assume the thing came with plastic anchors that go into the hole you drilled? Then you need to make sure the hole is just big enough to get the anchors in and then they will expand to be super tight when you put the screw in.
The anchors might be what we call rawplugs here but yeah, I already put them in the holes. I could try with some bigger ones though.

Teggy

Can someone show me a picture of these anchors? I'm not sure I understand this, I'm really sorry.

That grey thing in my picture. You just need to make sure they are in the hole very snugly (you should probably need to hammer them in) and make sure you are using the proper sized screw. Concrete anchors are sometimes made of metal, but I don't know that that's required.

BumRush

Just go into home depot or the equivalent by you and tell them you need to drill into concrete. They'll show you what you need.

I'd personally be using shield anchors to install a pull up bar in a concrete wall. Wouldn't even try to do it with bog standard Rawlplugs.

Edit - Are these called wedge anchors in the US?

Pachimari

They just gave me normal anchors and screws that fits them. But I am imagining I need bigger anchors actually, because I almost didn't have to hammer them in, only a little bit of them. Maybe metal anchors helps as well. I'll ask around for that tomorrow.

Teggy

They just gave me normal anchors and screws that fits them. But I am imagining I need bigger anchors actually, because I almost didn't have to hammer them in, only a little bit of them. Maybe metal anchors helps as well.

More likely you just used a drill bit that was too large.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nah I've been bulking the past couple of months, somewhat sloppily lol. Bad habit, but I'm back up to 215 right now. Going to cut down in a couple months.
Look forward to seeing the final product. It's hard to imagine you with even more mass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom