• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Not much in the way of accessory work on the shoulders I'm afraid. I do arnolds but I'm pretty lost as far as good shoulder exercises go

Next shoulder day, open up with OHP (warmup set plus 3-4 working sets).

Then do:

3x8 dumbbell side raises
3x8 dumbbell front raises
3x15 dumbbell shrugs

Don't take nearly the rest in between sets as you do for compounds. 30-60 seconds.

Try that one workout...your shoulders will be barking.

Thinking about trying HIIT on the treadmill and incorporating it into my workout, but I guess I don't understand how it's more efficient for losing weight. If I start out at a 1:2 ratio and do 30 seconds of sprinting followed by a minute of jogging for a total of 10 repetitions, how is that supposed to burn more calories than an hour of going at a more mild pace? Maybe the calorie calculator on the treadmills or myfitnesspal isn't terribly accurate, but just doing the math in my head I don't understand how I can burn even half the calories with HIIT than I can with a typical run.

Also adjusting the treadmill speed every 30 seconds sounds kinda obnoxious.
It wont burn more calories than an hour, there's no point in thinking of it like that.

However, compared to steady state exercise it has a number of metabolic advantages. One of which is sustained calorie burn after exercise is complete, another is reduced insulin resistance.

...and in the rest of the hour, you can lift some weights, which brings another ton of advantages over standard cardio.

Edit - Oh, and do it on a (fixed) bike, you can really go mental pushing yourself then.

BumRush

Thinking about trying HIIT on the treadmill and incorporating it into my workout, but I guess I don't understand how it's more efficient for losing weight. If I start out at a 1:2 ratio and do 30 seconds of sprinting followed by a minute of jogging for a total of 10 repetitions, how is that supposed to burn more calories than an hour of going at a more mild pace? Maybe the calorie calculator on the treadmills or myfitnesspal isn't terribly accurate, but just doing the math in my head I don't understand how I can burn even half the calories with HIIT than I can with a typical run.

Also adjusting the treadmill speed every 30 seconds sounds kinda obnoxious.

http://greatist.com/fitness/complete-guide-interval-training-infographic

Check this out. Really cool infographic.

Appreciate it. It was not even in the plan today, but everything felt good, so I went for it.

You're unstoppable dude. Honestly.

justjim89

It wont burn more calories than an hour, there's no point in thinking of it like that.

However, compared to steady state exercise it has a number of metabolic advantages. One of which is sustained calorie burn after exercise is complete, another is reduced insulin resistance.

...and in the rest of the hour, you can lift some weights, which brings another ton of advantages over standard cardio.

Edit - Oh, and do it on a (fixed) bike, you can really go mental pushing yourself then.

Hmmm, that makes sense. The bike is also a good suggestion, that way I won't slip and eat shit.

I've been lifting for 45 minutes or so after my hour of cardio, usually alternating between leg/back stuff and upper body. I'm noticing some improvements already for sure, I'm just confused as to how lifting relates to the amount I can eat on a given day, so I've always kinda erred on the side of more cardio because it makes more sense in my head.

In September I was 253, these days I'm about 193. I'd like to get down to around 160 or so, just because that feels like a more healthy weight for my stature (5'7). Problem is cheating more over the holidays has basically kicked my appetite back up to pre-weight loss levels. I'm averaging about 2000 to 2200 calories a day. I'm not really gaining but I'm not losing either, so I'm nervous about the effects of significantly cutting my cardio.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SWEET BABY JESSGHUUGFpiuywwdxgbkkgesswwwtthhjj)(;?&@);:55gvcjjhgdwsdd!!

This broke my brain.

Wow, this was probably the second most impressive OHP that I've seen this week.

God damn, that's awesome.

Fucking lol

A+ posting

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with this, this is legit competitive weight. I told my wife, to put it in perspective I can press half of what I deadlift over my head.

Szu

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with this, this is legit competitive weight. I told my wife, to put it in perspective I can press half of what I deadlift over my head.

When then, you'll just have to DL more.

Oh, forgot to mention that the most impressive OHP was done by my 21 month old son when he lifted a full open container of Legos over his head. Then, throw the container on the ground and proceed to stomp a mud hole on the Legos.

I'm sorry, Brolic.

First post in this thread but I figured you guys might be able to help me out.

Being a 6'4 tall and lanky person most of my life I decided to go on a bulk regiment. Weight started at 170, I'm 175 now and going for 185. I'm putting down about 2800 calories a day but generally come up short on interesting dinners to eat. With what I eat during the day I normally have about 700-900 calories left at dinner time. So I'm wondering for those of you also bulking up, what do you normally eat for dinner?

I've been doing a lot of chicken, rice, and broccoli, but that's starting to get a little old.

I've been doing a lot of chicken, rice, and broccoli, but that's starting to get a little old.

That's cutting food... I'd be going for fattier cuts of meat. Steaks, pork, fish and the like.

My general advice would be to buy a slow cooker, a decent slow cooker recipe book (the low carb ones are usually good because they have high fat / high protein recipes), then make stuff in big batches for freezing.

Teggy

First post in this thread but I figured you guys might be able to help me out.

Being a 6'4 tall and lanky person most of my life I decided to go on a bulk regiment. Weight started at 170, I'm 175 now and going for 185. I'm putting down about 2800 calories a day but generally come up short on interesting dinners to eat. With what I eat during the day I normally have about 700-900 calories left at dinner time. So I'm wondering for those of you also bulking up, what do you normally eat for dinner?

There's a more detailed post in this thread, but my two go-to sites for ideas lately are

theproteinchef.co
fitmencook.com

Hey Psychotext,

I was thinking of getting an indoor trainer for my bike so I could do cardio without having to go to the gym.

Do you think this would be a decent buy for a casual user?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I576SM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know so much about the lowest end, so I'll post you what one of the best known pros writes on the subject:

Sub-$100 Trainers:

In the past I’ve recommended ‘Little Red’, and that was a great option at about $79-$89 on sale at Performance Bike (Tip of the day: Performance Bike has sales basically every other week for their house-branded items, so if it’s not on sale this week, it probably will be next week. This isn’t applicable to non-house branded trainers).

The problem is Little Red went away. Instead, they’ve introduced another – the Blackburn Mag 1 Trainer for roughly the same price. In looking at the specs, the main difference between this and the one in the category above is the resistance control. As of today, the price difference is only $10, so honestly I’d go with the Travel Trac Mag+ at $99, but if not on sale, then it’s harder to justify.

One thing to keep in mind is that trainers in this category tend to have a max wattage of about 300 watts. Again, for most people just getting into the sport, 300w isn’t too bad. But it’s something to be mindful of if you plan to do intervals harder than that. Either way, for $80-$90, these are great deals.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

That said, as long as you weren't going to try and do sprint intervals on it, that one you linked seems like it might work.

That's cutting food... I'd be going for fattier cuts of meat. Steaks, pork, fish and the like.

My general advice would be to buy a slow cooker, a decent slow cooker recipe book (the low carb ones are usually good because they have high fat / high protein recipes), then make stuff in big batches for freezing.

I do have a slow cooker, but barely ever use it. Think I'll have to dust it off and start giving it some use.

There's a more detailed post in this thread, but my two go-to sites for ideas lately are

theproteinchef.co
fitmencook.com

Thanks for this, I'll be doing another food shopping run tomorrow so I think I'll use this to get some recipe ideas.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Chipotle's a good choice if you're eating out. High sodium, but tons of nutrients for a bulk.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
When then, you'll just have to DL more.

Oh, forgot to mention that the most impressive OHP was done by my 21 month old son when he lifted a full open container of Legos over his head. Then, throw the container on the ground and proceed to stomp a mud hole on the Legos.

I'm sorry, Brolic.

Lol, nothing to be sorry about.

hwateber

Next shoulder day, open up with OHP (warmup set plus 3-4 working sets).

Then do:

3x8 dumbbell side raises
3x8 dumbbell front raises
3x15 dumbbell shrugs

Don't take nearly the rest in between sets as you do for compounds. 30-60 seconds.

Try that one workout...your shoulders will be barking.

Sounds intense! Definitely giving this a shot tomorrow

Whoa, this is awesome

As far as tracking your lifts, do you guys have any app recommebdations? I found that MFP was a bit overkill so I've just been using evernote lol...

GrapeApes

As far as tracking your lifts, do you guys have any app recommebdations? I found that MFP was a bit overkill so I've just been using evernote lol...
I use Fitnotes on Android. Minimal but does everything I need. Just have to make sure you backup your progress otherwise you could lose all your info.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I always thought it was a bulge swole selfie.

Brolic proving once again that he has evolved beyond our species.

Anyway, babby's first bulk continues. Going for two PRs today: bench press 3x5 145 and squat 3x5 175. Will report in with results later.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Was FE showing off his package that resulted in that particular thread title, but yes... Cooter is a likely culprit too.
Hey now! This is all FE. At the end of OT7 he accidentally posted an underwear selfie with his bulge taking top billing.

:D

Unrelated, I just put up my new garage pull-up bar. It's good, but annoyingly I can't do vanilla chin ups on it. I know neutral grip is supposed to be better, but it seems odd to me that I can't just do bog standard ones.

I guess I could go super close grip, but I can't see that being good for my wrists.

KillerBEA

Could use some input for pre workout snacks/drinks. I'm thinking about trying red bull. Not a coffee guy.

Eat a banana and drink water. Dehydrated muscles are weaker muscles.

I used to do red bull before workouts but it ended up causing problems. Stomach problems, jittery, etc... and I have a fairly "good" caffeine tolerance.

BumRush

You know that feeling when you OHP 185x1 and you're super excited...the you re-watch Brolics press and realize there is always work to do???

brawly

Eat a banana and drink water. Dehydrated muscles are weaker muscles.

I used to do red bull before workouts but it ended up causing problems. Stomach problems, jittery, etc... and I have a fairly "good" caffeine tolerance.

I tried banana, makes me feel ill more often than not. I drink water, usually around 1 liter during practice and then another 1-2 during the day.

I never drink crap like softdrinks but I'd like a boost for the workout.

I need some belt advice. I'm towards the end of my bulk now and my waist size is about 34". Problem is, on a lot of belts I've looked at that's basically the absolute highest part of the waist range. I'd be surprised if I don't put on a bit more waist size, and if not this time, almost certainly on the next bulk (I'm expecting a bit more core muscle).

So is the upper limit really as far as it's likely to go? Would like to avoid buying two if I can!

Edit - If I pull the tape measure really tight it goes down to about 31"... not sure how much difference that makes.

KillerBEA

I tried banana, makes me feel ill more often than not. I drink water, usually around 1 liter during practice and then another 1-2 during the day.

I never drink crap like softdrinks but I'd like a boost for the workout.

I threw banana out because that's what I like, but honestly I find snacking on fruit in general about 30 minutes before my workout usually works out well. I do blueberries and apples sometimes too. If I am at work before I workout I just find something that is not complete shit and has carbs in it.

Aside from foods I use C4 preworkout in lower dosages sometimes. A full scoop is overkill if I have eaten somewhat recently. So I usually do a half scoop of that either just mixed with water or sometimes with protein powder which creates a very nice flavor. Fruit Punch C4 + Vanilla Flavored Protein Powder almost tastes like Red Velvet cake.

vIs10xv.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom