• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Failed to meet my nutrition numbers yesterday and I could definitely feel it at the gym today :/
Energy was just not there.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Could you guys please recommend a pair of weight lifting gloves? The callouses don't bother me, but the tears along my fingers are a pain (they're like shittier paper cuts).

Jesus this week is killing me. I needed to take a week off to settle in to some new routines but GODDAMN every time I walk by my weights I get the urge. I feel so flat.

Chocobro

Weightlifting coach has me doing 10x10 BSquats today, no pause at top. Send help please.

BTW, good work Brolic! Hopefully I can CNJ that weight in a few years. Dreams.

BumRush

I just realized that Brolic can probably OHP me while I'm doing OHP.

Hahahaha that's awesome. The more I think about lifting 300 lbs above my head the more the amazingness of the feat sinks in.

Imagine lifting an NFL lineman OVER YOUR HEAD!?

Szu

Hahahaha that's awesome. The more I think about lifting 300 lbs above my head the more the amazingness of the feat sinks in.

Imagine lifting an NFL lineman OVER YOUR HEAD!?

Let's put in terms that us guys can understand.

Imagine I'm Captain America and I pick up a motorcycle over my head.

Brolic as the Hulk would give me a hand by taking the motorcycle with his fingers and fling it into orbit.

Questionbump...

I need some belt advice. I'm towards the end of my bulk now and my waist size is about 34". Problem is, on a lot of belts I've looked at that's basically the absolute highest part of the waist range. I'd be surprised if I don't put on a bit more waist size, and if not this time, almost certainly on the next bulk (I'm expecting a bit more core muscle).

So is the upper limit really as far as it's likely to go? Would like to avoid buying two if I can!

Edit - If I pull the tape measure really tight it goes down to about 31"... not sure how much difference that makes.

You're going to have people drawing conclusions...

I re-read it and totally agree.

For the rotator, I would recommend you google some rotator cuff exercises. There quite a few out there, but the are some common ones that you'll see frequently appearing, such isolated side raises.

P.S. When we meet in a parking lot, I'll remember to attack you from your left side.

Thanks for the feedback, I found out somewhat the hard way that every chest exercise requires the shoulder to some degree so I think I'm out on chest for a week or two. I probably have to retool my program for just legs and back or something heh.

BTW, any Dragon Ball Z fans here?

http://imgur.com/67WU4MY
http://imgur.com/r7YKouq

My gym is kinda lame haha. Also, I lift at Yamcha level. Sorry guys.

Granadier

My gym is kinda lame haha. Also, I lift at Yamcha level. Sorry guys.

Your gym is empty though. So much space to yourself to lift.

0Q6wAtu0.png

I lift at school and there's at least 8 billion people there no matter the time.

Not entirely sure why I'd be posting here about anything other than a weights belt. :p

Can't say I'd be worried about buying more than one either (I think I have about 7 at the moment).

mdsfx

Fucking hell. My AMRAP set kicked my ass. Was suppose to deadlift 231x13. Pushed through to 15. Damn that was brutal.

Edit: Oooh 345 one Rep max now? Yasssss
I'll believe it when I actually do it

Teggy

Woke up to a power outage. Figured maybe a good idea to switch to a morning workout today but the gym doesn't have power either :/

BumRush

Not entirely sure why I'd be posting here about anything other than a weights belt. :p

Can't say I'd be worried about buying more than one either (I think I have about 7 at the moment).

Lol dude if you filter this thread for non-weight lifting posts we'd have only 7-8 pages so far.

Fucking hell. My AMRAP set kicked my ass. Was suppose to deadlift 231x13. Pushed through to 15. Damn that was brutal.

Bud. 231x15 is awesome and takes a shit ton of stamina. It's 150% of your weight.

Fine, it's because I desperately need advice on a pencil thin Italian single farm origin oiled leather fashion belt. How am I to look fabulous without it?

theytookourjobz

Weightlifting coach has me doing 10x10 BSquats today, no pause at top. Send help please.

BTW, good work Brolic! Hopefully I can CNJ that weight in a few years. Dreams.

German volume training! Me and my buddy did that a few time. I've never felt so awful in my life. Sets 6 and 7 are miserable.

And all you fuckers are crazy strong in the strict press. I've got one shoulder that kinda sucks and so I never really put a ton of work into pressing but my 150# max is light years behind you all!

Ironically, that doesn't have a 34" size either. ;)

Might as well ask another question whilst I'm here. I'm looking at grabbing some new Olympic size plates but I'm thinking bumpers are probably pointless as I doubt I'll do any Olympic style lifts, and I lower my deadlift so no worries about damage there...

So on normal cast iron plates, is there much point going with rubber coated or tri-grip, or is it really just needless extra expense? I think Brolic's using the "Standard" plates which I've seen in a few places (Rogue sell a version, as do EliteFTS), so am I best off just getting a full set of them?

Your gym is empty though. So much space to yourself to lift.

0Q6wAtu0.png

I lift at school and there's at least 8 billion people there no matter the time.

Ah yeah, that part is the one I like actually. But you see the power rack at the side? It's the ONLY rack. Other than that there's pretty much just 1 (or 1 pair) of everything in the gym so if even a couple of serious lifters are in there then it suuuuucks. Good enough for a workplace gym though I suppose!

If the situation is similar at your school but with 8 billion people then I am so sorry for you lol.

Chocobro

German volume training! Me and my buddy did that a few time. I've never felt so awful in my life. Sets 6 and 7 are miserable.

And all you fuckers are crazy strong in the strict press. I've got one shoulder that kinda sucks and so I never really put a ton of work into pressing but my 150# max is light years behind you all!

Yeah it's pretty awful. Sets 7-10 were tough because your quads are tight and all.
I had to do 10x3 (which ended up being 12x3) on Monday, I don't know which one I dislike more.

One of my shoulder sucks too. Last year's shoulder problem came up again, but this time was from going hard in the overhead squats. I hope to get more volume in for the shoulders and get them stronger after it heals.

did some front squats 5x5 @ 205. i think i was good for 225 but i didn't want to push it yesterday.i was just worried i had my foot in the wrong position (like one foot too forward or back)

did some front squats 5x5 @ 205. i think i was good for 225 but i didn't want to push it yesterday.i was just worried i had my foot in the wrong position (like one foot too forward or back)

Foot positioning is a thing for me too. I feel like I always do one rep, then have to readjust with weight on my shoulders.

Grats, BTW. 225 is a goal of mine for front squats. I think I can, with a little padding on the bar to keep my mind on them.

mkenyon

Banned
Bros, I've been on a quest to find any study that supports the oft-cited 1g protein per lb.

Even in the most extreme and anecdotal cases with stupidly flimsly scientific support, the max I've seen is 1.8g per kg of bodyweight. Most of the supported evidence, even from super recent studies, suggest around 1.2-1.5g per kg of bodyweight.

Please help me find the science that states otherwise.

Going to see a psychiatrist for the first time in a couple of hours. Pretty nervous about it, but really hoping to finally get a good grip on my social anxiety and depression issues. It has really impeded my life (and fitness) goals these past few years.

I hope it all works out.

Bros, I've been on a quest to find any study that supports the oft-cited 1g protein per lb.

Even in the most extreme and anecdotal cases with stupidly flimsly scientific support, the max I've seen is 1.8g per kg of bodyweight. Most of the supported evidence, even from super recent studies, suggest around 1.2-1.5g per kg of bodyweight.

I believe the one that did was based on flawed methodology using nitrogen balance.

Granadier

Ah yeah, that part is the one I like actually. But you see the power rack at the side? It's the ONLY rack. Other than that there's pretty much just 1 (or 1 pair) of everything in the gym so if even a couple of serious lifters are in there then it suuuuucks. Good enough for a workplace gym though I suppose!

If the situation is similar at your school but with 8 billion people then I am so sorry for you lol.

Yep, that is rough still then. How often does it happen that two serious lifters are in there at the same time?

At school they have around 5 or 6 racks, but we have popular hockey and football teams so they are almost always full.

Going to see a psychiatrist for the first time in a couple of hours. Pretty nervous about it, but really hoping to finally get a good grip on my social anxiety and depression issues. It has really impeded my life (and fitness) goals these past few years.

I hope it all works out.

Hope so too. Medication helped a lot for me.

Can you link the studies that you found for the 1.2-1.5g / kg?

mkenyon

Banned

I hope it all works out.
I work in Mental Healthcare, lemme know if you need any advice or referrals.

You're taking a damn good step. Just keep in mind that most Psychiatrists are focused on medication management and do not have training to effectively administer talk therapy, which can be equally as important for a lot of people. Get a referral to a quality therapist from your Psychiatrist if you end up liking and respecting them.

Good on you for being open about it as well. It's a medical condition, just like any lifting-related injury.

I hope it all works out.
We are here for you man. We have your back 110%. As someone who goes thru ups and downs regularly it can be extremely beneficial to seek professional help.

Very glad to hear you acknowledge and make the first move. That takes a lot of strength.

BumRush

I hope it all works out.

I hope so too man. Good luck!!

When I was new to the thread and posted a before / after, you were SOOO welcoming. I stayed around because of it.

If you ever need to PM me about ANYTHING you're going through, feel free man.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I hope it all works out.

I suffered from those things for many years and never found improvement until I went to a therapist for months. After that I was able to fight the anxiety enough to lift at the gym without feeling embarrassed. Now I land my ass on the floor when I fail squats without worry.

It'll be worth it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

The science is in my biceps. Suck it!

mkenyon

Banned
Can you link the studies that you found for the 1.2-1.5g / kg?
They're not exactly bulletproof studies, from what I can gather. But there's a ton of studies referenced in this guide, just click through them at the bottom.
The science is in my biceps. Suck it!
I know you're joking, but I swear to god this is the only response I get when asking for evidence. Not literally, but basically. Sometimes literally.

SeanR1221

I hope it all works out.

Gl man. Hope it works out. Inbox is always open if you wanna chat with someone.

Szu

I hope it all works out.

I hope everything works out for you too.

Yep, that is rough still then. How often does it happen that two serious lifters are in there at the same time?

At school they have around 5 or 6 racks, but we have popular hockey and football teams so they are almost always full.

It's actually not all that common, maybe a handful of times a month (though I only work out 3 days a week). I try to go before the rush so I can lay claim to my territory hah. Maybe the casual lifters are worse though. I've seen someone set the safety bars high and start rapid-firing quarter squats at 90 lbs for a ridiculous number of sets. Don't think he finished his sets till after I left.

Dunno if you've read this but it makes good arguments for both sides of the debate, with lots of references:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/eric-helms-protein/

BTW Cooter, how much are you working out that a 10k cheat day doesn't affect your cut? Or does it not matter all that much assuming a reasonable effort in the gym?

mkenyon

Banned
Dunno if you've read this but it makes good arguments for both sides of the debate, with lots of references:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/eric-helms-protein/
I have read it, and it pretty much obliterates the high (1.8+ g per kg) argument. That's actually the thing that started me on the path to look for more information, as I just assumed the oft-cited "1g per lb of bodyweight" was legit.

The point that shocked me was that Eric Helms, who is typically cited when people are talking about high protein intakes, even states

. I think that 1.6g/kg is probably approaching an optimal intake of protein during a deficit, and even if it was a bit short of optimal, I doubt a 2 week period would be an adequate enough time period to show the differenc

I have read it, and it pretty much obliterates the high (1.8+ g per kg) argument. That's actually the thing that started me on the path to look for more information, as I just assumed the oft-cited "1g per lb of bodyweight" was legit.

The point that shocked me was that Eric Helms, who is typically cited when people are talking about high protein intakes, even states

Doesn't Menno's own article already prescribe 1.8g/kg though? Unless you intend to say 1.8-2g/lb which would be a different beast while being one that I still sort of see being recommended.

And yeah, based on literature reviews 1.6-1.8g/kg is probably "close to optimal" which is probably good enough for most.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
BTW Cooter, how much are you working out that a 10k cheat day doesn't affect your cut? Or does it not matter all that much assuming a reasonable effort in the gym?
Six to 7 days a week plus an active job. Plus I now have 2 10k cheat days a week. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom