• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six to 7 days a week plus an active job. Plus I now have 2 10k cheat days a week. :D

Holy cow. So you're lifting pretty heavy all those days? I think I'm only doing 3-4 days a week and I want to fold pizzas in half and turn them into calzones. Wondering what you'd recommend in that case (besides just 1 cheat day lol).

I also have a pack of these I haven't dug into yet so I need to finish them. =|

6a00d83451d02e69e2014e89e710ff970d-pi

ILoveBish

I hate my gym so much I've really lost my motivation to go. I miss my old gym so much. This new one is ass.

Oh well, home gym soon I hope. Going Saturday morning to see the escrow schedule. I think I have my cage picked out also.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Holy cow. So you're lifting pretty heavy all those days? I think I'm only doing 3-4 days a week and I want to fold pizzas in half and turn them into calzones. Wondering what you'd recommend in that case (besides just 1 cheat day lol).

I also have a pack of these I haven't dug into yet so I need to finish them. =|

6a00d83451d02e69e2014e89e710ff970d-pi
Yes. I have a rotation of heavy and light days but even my light days are pretty heavy. An example would be my light chest day I did yesterday which was 245x4x10 flat BB and 85x4x10 incline DB. On my heavy days I work up to 3 sets of 3. Without knowing your goals (bulk, cut, maintain) it's hard to give advice. If you just want to have a no holds bars cheat day once a week I say stick to 6 strict days under 2k with (I go 1500) and enjoy your cheat day. I'd be shocked if you actually didn't lean out doing this.

mkenyon

Banned
Doesn't Menno's own article already prescribe 1.8g/kg though? Unless you intend to say 1.8-2g/lb which would be a different beast while being one that I still sort of see being recommended.

And yeah, based on literature reviews 1.6-1.8g/kg is probably "close to optimal" which is probably good enough for most.
He, like every other person suggesting over 1.5g/kg, is saying, "well, the evidence suggests that it isn't harmful, and despite us not having edvidence, it might still actually be more beneficial, so might as well eat a bit more."

*edit*

From Menno:

There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle once you’re past the novice level as a natural trainee. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64 g/lb.

That's the important bit. I'm starting to get a distinct feeling that a lot of these folks have a vested interest in the supplement market.

Szu

Yes. I have a rotation of heavy and light days but even my light days are pretty heavy. An example would be my light chest day I did yesterday which was 245x4x10 flat BB and 85x4x10 incline DB. On my heavy days I work up to 3 sets of 3. Without knowing your goals (bulk, cut, maintain) it's hard to give advice. If you just want to have a no holds bars cheat day once a week I say stick to 6 strict days under 2k with (I go 1500) and enjoy your cheat day. I'd be shocked if you actually didn't lean out doing this.

Sigh, your light chest looks like my leg day.

I'm probably gonna be forever cutting, but yeah I'm pretty much going heavy all days except the 4th. Clocking in at 1450-1550 each day this week. Workouts are 2 sets reverse pyramid (405x3, 365x6 DL/320x7, 285x8 SQ/etc).

I'm probably worrying too much though. Might just dive into your method blind and see how it all works out.

Cooter

I'm probably gonna be forever cutting, but yeah I'm pretty much going heavy all days except the 4th. Clocking in at 1450-1550 each day this week. Workouts are 2 sets reverse pyramid (405x3, 365x6 DL/320x7, 285x8 SQ/etc).

I'm probably worrying too much though. Might just dive into your method blind and see how it all works out.
It works man. Physically and mentally.

Doesn't Menno's own article already prescribe 1.8g/kg though? Unless you intend to say 1.8-2g/lb which would be a different beast while being one that I still sort of see being recommended.

And yeah, based on literature reviews 1.6-1.8g/kg is probably "close to optimal" which is probably good enough for most.

Amusing thing is, our very own OP still says 1.5g / lb.

He, like every other person suggesting over 1.5g/kg, is saying, "well, the evidence suggests that it isn't harmful, and despite us not having edvidence, it might still actually be more beneficial, so might as well eat a bit more."

*edit*

From Menno:

That's the important bit. I'm starting to get a distinct feeling that a lot of these folks have a vested interest in the supplement market.

Yeah, probably. A lot of the studies themselves are funded by the supplement market. Plus the egg/poultry industry probably loves it too. Realistically the amount of protein needed for muscle growth is somewhere in the range of around 70-120g if you read through Brad Pilon's book "How Much Protein". There's also this fun fact that I took out of his book:

Dunno if you want to track down his book (assuming you haven't read it) but he puts an excellent perspective on protein for muscle building. Although he spends pretty much the entire book proving the opposite of what you're tracking down heh.

It works man. Physically and mentally.

Thanks for your insight. Looks like I'm going all in on Saturday and seeing what my weight is next Friday.

Cooter

I remember someone raving about the blueberry cheesecake ON whey so I bought a tiny container of it. Looking forward to trying it.

I know you guys don't understand cardio stuff, but I'm really quite pleased with an achievement I just made. Last year I did a particular turbo trainer session that I barely completed, one of the toughest I've ever done.

I just did the same one at a 25% higher power output, and I had enough strength / energy left to sprint for the last couple of minutes.

Genuinely pleased. :)

Edit - I just realised that in weights terms 25% increase doesn't look like much. lol. You'll have to take my word for it being a fairly decent increase in cycling power output.

ILoveBish

I effing hate this gym so much. 30+ minutes for a cage. By the time I got it, was spent from doing accessories, and couldn't get my very last rep on very last set on squats. Pissed me off so much.

Please Lord let the home go through so I no longer have to go through these awful gym days.

mkenyon

Banned
I know you guys don't understand cardio stuff, but I'm really quite pleased with an achievement I just made. Last year I did a particular turbo trainer session that I barely completed, one of the toughest I've ever done.

I just did the same one at a 25% higher power output, and I had enough strength / energy left to sprint for the last couple of minutes.

Genuinely pleased. :)

Edit - I just realised that in weights terms 25% increase doesn't look like much. lol. You'll have to take my word for it being a fairly decent increase in cycling power output.
In the US, a lot of cyclists are really rude on shared use trails. I won't speak to actual shared use roads, because I'm always overly courteous for safety reasons. I've only ever been in three physical altercations in my life, all three of which have been from angry cyclists assaulting me or my wife. I can't help but carry that animosity towards the sport in general.

But I do know the pain of struggling through an especially intense cardio session. That's a damn big improvement for someone already as advanced as you are.

Teggy

My bench is easily my weakest lift. What are some good ways to improve it?

I have a weak bench and what has helped me are close grip dumbbell press. My triceps were terrible and this has helped in that area a lot. I also tightened up my setup like crazy. I am jamming my heels into the floor and my shoulders into the bench.

OK PANTS ARE ON. How does this DL look?

http://youtu.be/3PQBa9CA2-g

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I have a weak bench and what has helped me are close grip dumbbell press. My triceps were terrible and this has helped in that area a lot. I also tightened up my setup like crazy. I am jamming my heels into the floor and my shoulders into the bench.

OK PANTS ARE ON. How does this DL look?

http://youtu.be/3PQBa9CA2-g

Ok I'll try this and see if it helps. Can a fixed weight barbell be used instead of dumbbells?

In the US, a lot of cyclists are really rude on shared use trails. I won't speak to actual shared use roads, because I'm always overly courteous for safety reasons. I've only ever been in three physical altercations in my life, all three of which have been from angry cyclists assaulting me or my wife. I can't help but carry that animosity towards the sport in general.

But I'm a Brit, we don't know the meaning of rude!

mkenyon

Banned
But I'm a Brit, we don't know the meaning of rude!
Iono about all that, but I thought there might be some cultural differences.

You wouldn't believe what happens here regularly. Shit, just today, I saw a guy in the full on enthusiast getup coming up on two mothers pushing strollers with two older 3-5t y/o following along. He yells out, "RIDER RIDER RIDER RIDER" as he's approaching them at 15+ MPH. Then screams "GET YOUR FUCKING KIDS UNDER CONTROL" as he barely misses one of them.

It's p'bad. There's more good ones than bad ones, of course, but there's a *lot* of bad ones.

BumRush

Thursday has become my weekly calorie and carb overload day, followed by Friday, where my first meal is at noon. Honestly, I feel sort of bad for the fat.

#cooterbrotocol

BumRush

What's on the menu?

I had eggs with toast and a protein shake for breakfast, a pint of moo shu pork and a pint of white rice for lunch (and an egg roll, of course). For dinner I had three sausage slices (pizza), two large zeppolis, a slice of cheesecake and a small chicken pot pie. Going to have 2-3 ipas while I watch a movie.

Haven't added it up but it's a solid day.

mdsfx

I hope it all works out.

Two things:

1. Veins are coming back in full-tilt (didn't even do upper body today)!

2. If you look very carefully you'll see I've had my own issues earlier on in life. Looking back, my problems were nothing, but unfortunately I wasn't mature enough to deal with low self esteem and am lucky to be alive after what I did to myself. So I guess what I'm saying is you're not alone and things can certainly turn around.

SeanR1221

I had eggs with toast and a protein shake for breakfast, a pint of moo shu pork and a pint of white rice for lunch (and an egg roll, of course). For dinner I had three sausage slices (pizza), two large zeppolis, a slice of cheesecake and a small chicken pot pie. Going to have 2-3 ipas while I watch a movie.

Haven't added it up but it's a solid day.

I sometimes wanna go full cooter but Im not ready for the super low cal days.

BumRush

Back day brah? Back day.

Row 405x3, snatch grip Romanian dl 315x5, and some pull-ups.

http://youtu.be/RjQYfBNcnnI

Daaaaaaaaaamn, I honestly don't know which of the three is most impressive.

405 pound rows. Lol.

Try following up an epic day with a normal day, just skip breakfast entirely. I'll end up with about 1600 tomorrow from lunch and dinner.

SeanR1221

Daaaaaaaaaamn, I honestly don't know which of the three is most impressive.

405 pound rows. Lol.

Try following up an epic day with a normal day, just skip breakfast entirely. I'll end up with about 1600 tomorrow from lunch and dinner.

I find the balance of 2k calories 6 days a week and a cheat day of 4-5k pretty satisfying and effective. That's with 35-40min cardio 6 days a week though.

Yeah Ive done slightly epic days followed up by slightly under calorie days.

One of these days I'll eat an entire costco pizza...and ice cream and try my best the next day lol

Cooter

Get to where you want to be aesthetically and then join me for a euphoric gluttony filled day of pizza, ice cream, and whatever the hell else you feel like.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think my wrist is almost 100%.

Press - 95lbs 1x5, 105x5, 115x7 (PR)

No wrist wraps. Lovely. This is going to be a fun year.

Fox318

All joking aside the single best thing I've ever taken was a ZMA before sleep.

I used to get such crap sleep and now I'm sleeping great.

I discovered this new supp called pork rinds

Omg

Just a note on those... delicious as they are, we can't actually (as humans) make use of a lot of the protein in them, so the label actually ends up being fairly useless in terms of protein per 100g / pack.

I've seen people try to use them as a lot of the protein in their diet... so it's worth mentioning

Fox318

Just a note on those... delicious as they are, we can't actually (as humans) make use of a lot of the protein in them, so the label actually ends up being fairly useless in terms of protein per 100g / pack.

I've seen people try to use them as a lot of the protein in their diet... so it's worth mentioning
I just wanted a zero carb snack that was like bacon.

My god it's tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom