• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Really considering picking up the fitbit blaze.

I fucking love my charge hr but it's tough to pick because the garmin GPS watches look great.

Right, giving these questions one last shot before giving up...

I need some (weight lifting) belt advice. I'm towards the end of my bulk now and my waist size is about 34". Problem is, on a lot of belts I've looked at that's basically the absolute highest part of the waist range (they go down to say... 29"). I'd be surprised if I don't put on a bit more waist size, and if not this time, almost certainly on the next bulk (I'm expecting a bit more core muscle).

So is the upper limit really as far as it's likely to go? Would like to avoid buying two if I can!

Edit - If I pull the tape measure really tight it goes down to about 31"... not sure how much difference that makes.

Might as well ask another question whilst I'm here. I'm looking at grabbing some new Olympic size plates but I'm thinking bumpers are probably pointless as I doubt I'll do any Olympic style lifts, and I lower my deadlift so no worries about damage there...

So on normal cast iron plates, is there much point going with rubber coated or tri-grip, or is it really just needless extra expense? I think Brolic's using the "Standard" plates which I've seen in a few places (Rogue sell a version, as do EliteFTS), so am I best off just getting a full set of them?

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. You all are the best and exactly why I love this community more than any other that I'm a part of. :) Things went really well and nice to actually get professional help finally.

Seriously, you guys are the best folks I know on GAF. Love you all.

Amusing thing is, our very own OP still says 1.5g / lb.

To be fair, Martin Berkhan (leangains) recommends 1.5-2g/lb!

Although he does state that it's superior for satiety, as well as advantageous for TEF. And finally erring way on the side of caution for protein sparing during a cut.

Get to where you want to be aesthetically and then join me for a euphoric gluttony filled day of pizza, ice cream, and whatever the hell else you feel like.

Eh, you mean I can't do that now? I got an ice cream log cake in the fridge and all...

(I dunno how far my cheat day will go honestly.)

I need some belt advice. I'm towards the end of my bulk now and my waist size is about 34". Problem is, on a lot of belts I've looked at that's basically the absolute highest part of the waist range. I'd be surprised if I don't put on a bit more waist size, and if not this time, almost certainly on the next bulk (I'm expecting a bit more core muscle).

So is the upper limit really as far as it's likely to go? Would like to avoid buying two if I can!

Edit - If I pull the tape measure really tight it goes down to about 31"... not sure how much difference that makes.

According to this site (I'm not sure if it's where my bro bought his, I don't use a belt myself), the regular waist measurement will determine where the center hole is and you'll have 3 or 4 holes to go each way.

I'll probably be gaming with my brother this weekend if you want me to ask him, he's the only one I know who ordered a custom belt and I think he knows his stuff.

goober

Why didn't you have a spotter?
I don't normally ask anyone to spot me. I do 5x5 so I wouldn't want to interrupt someone's workout to hang by me every set.

It was my fourth set and for some reason I didn't set up right and I felt it already with how my first rep went. I got the second rep about 3/4 of the way up but I was just kinda stuck there. I guess the kind stranger noticed after the first rep cause I wasn't stuck under it for long.

hahaha not quite

velociraptor

yay. reached a personal best of 50kg for 5 reps on weighted dips and 35kg for 5 reps weighted chin-ups (I remember how I struggled 30kg for 1 rep a year ago).

On the downside, I can dip more than I can OHP....

.... :(

To be fair, Martin Berkhan (leangains) recommends 1.5-2g/lb!

Although he does state that it's superior for satiety, as well as advantageous for TEF. And finally erring way on the side of caution for protein sparing during a cut.

It's also backed up by precisely no science and the TEF difference is next to nothing.

I'll probably be gaming with my brother this weekend if you want me to ask him, he's the only one I know who ordered a custom belt and I think he knows his stuff.

Cheers. It's the reasonably small range that concerns me. At the end of my last cut I was down to 28" waist, and now I'm at 34", but to be honest I'm really not looking that fat so I'm wondering if I've put on a chunk of back / ab size.

Check out elitefts premium belts and look at their size chart.

It might be my poor searching skills, but I can't seem to find any 10mm belts on there. Seems they have 6.5mm or 13mm. I've been advised that 13mm would be a bad idea for my size. Maybe 6.5mm would do instead of 10mm.

Get plates at a second hand store, or wait for deals on Amazon. Don't pay more than 1 dollar per lb.

Did that with my standard plates. They're almost never available second hand near me, took me about 10 years to get a half decent set together!

Problem is, I'm going to have a new rack and bar turning up, and without weights I wont be able to do anything with it (all I have are standard plates and a bar that wont fit across a full width rack).

sphinx

the piano man
yay. reached a personal best of 50kg for 5 reps on weighted dips and 35kg for 5 reps weighted chin-ups (I remember how I struggled 30kg for 1 rep a year ago).

On the downside, I can dip more than I can OHP....

.... :(

how does this work? you put a chain or a plate on you and you are doing dips with your weight plus 50 kgs? that's a ton!!

Teggy

It might be my poor searching skills, but I can't seem to find any 10mm belts on there. Seems they have 6.5mm or 13mm. I've been advised that 13mm would be a bad idea for my size. Maybe 6.5mm would do instead of 10mm.

Inzer's standard size is 10mm. Or is this an issue to shipping where you live? I can't remember who is outside the US.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just a note on those... delicious as they are, we can't actually (as humans) make use of a lot of the protein in them, so the label actually ends up being fairly useless in terms of protein per 100g / pack.

I've seen people try to use them as a lot of the protein in their diet... so it's worth mentioning

Is there a list of foods that have junk, unusable protein? First I'm reading about this.

Yeah, I can't get Inzer in the UK. Or at least, not easily (without paying 160USD for a bog standard black one).

My choices seem to be Rogue, RDX or Modifit. Only really Rogue seems to have any higher end belts.

Is there a list of foods that have junk, unusable protein? First I'm reading about this.

Not sure sorry. I know that the stuff we can't actually process is few and far between though.

Szu

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. You all are the best and exactly why I love this community more than any other that I'm a part of. :) Things went really well and nice to actually get professional help finally.

Seriously, you guys are the best folks I know on GAF. Love you all.

That's great. Stay positive and keep coming back here.

BumRush

Yeah, I can't get Inzer in the UK. Or at least, not easily (without paying 160USD for a bog standard black one).

My choices seem to be Rogue, RDX or Modifit. Only really Rogue seems to have any higher end belts.

Not sure sorry. I know that the stuff we can't actually process is few and far between though.

How much are you looking to spend? Maybe an ebay / Craigslist equivalent would be cheapest.

mdsfx

Fuck yes, it's Friday! Shamelessly doing upper body and throwing on a polo for work today lol.

Cooterization commencing in t-minutes 10 hours!! Going to eat like a beast and play some Far Cry Primal >)

Faiz

Not that I've seen, but most pork rinds have a note on their nutritional labels that say something the the effect of "not a significant source of dietary protein". I would hope any foods containing collagen based proteins would have a similar label, though I haven't personally seen that. Could mean any number of things really, most likely is that it just isn't found/used in many food sources anyway.

SeanR1221

Fuck yes, it's Friday! Shamelessly doing upper body and throwing on a polo for work today lol.

Cooterization commencing in t-minutes 10 hours!! Going to eat like a beast and play some Far Cry Primal >)

Polo? I wish. High of 38 here today. Sweater for me :(

I see your upper body and raise you deadlifts tonight. Followed by ecoli chipotle. Then either black ops or splatoon all night.

mdsfx

Polo? I wish. High of 38 here today. Sweater for me :(

I see your upper body and raise you deadlifts tonight. Followed by ecoli chipotle. Then either black ops or splatoon all night.
High of 38° here too. I'm just that guy who wears that shit all year. My argument is that the only time I'm outside on a weekday is walking to and from my car. It's 68° inside all year :)

Good luck with the E. Coli!

My rotator cuff is acting like a whiny turd today after fucking leg day of all things. I think I let them swing a little bit too much when I was DB lunging with plates.

I guess I can do bodyweight stuff today, but I'm planning on taking it easy with upper body. No point in making it act up again.

BumRush

High of 38° here too. I'm just that guy who wears that shit all year. My argument is that the only time I'm outside on a weekday is walking to and from my car. It's 68° inside all year :)

Good luck with the E. Coli!

I love wearing polos to the office on Fridays, regardless of season. Plus, I always found that in the winter, the heating actually made the office feel hotter than the summer.

How much are you looking to spend? Maybe an ebay / Craigslist equivalent would be cheapest.

We don't really have the sort of availability on those sorts of things in the UK as you have in the US. Anything bought on ebay would be cheap crap, unless it happened to be that someone was selling an old Inzer or something, but I doubt that's going to happen.

I should just see how much Inzer want to ship to the UK and then get my order in ready for the extremely long wait.

I do like the Rogue belt though - http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-lifting-belt

However, it's currently out of stock in Medium anyway, so liking it is largely irrelevant.

Edit - LMAO, no.

Sub Total: $89.95
UPS WorldWide Expedited: $109.31
Grand Total: $199.26

Faiz

Ok, next week I start the next cut for real.

Last year from Aug 10 - November 26 I dropped from 187 to 166. I've been holding steady at 170 since around mid-December. This week I'm on 1800 daily with a cheat on Saturday, then Monday I'll start dialing back 100 cal/day each week.

This time it's 150 lbs or bust. Which will put me at my college weight, with substantially more muscle than my scrawny ass had then.

I've not had my head in the game really since Christmas, but here's the commitment to stick with it.

Hi guys, Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pre-workout supplement.
Im looking to gain max muscle at the mo.
If you are looking for energy just some coffee or a caffeine pill. Pills are about 5 cents per 200mg, that's a big cup of coffee. Most PWs contain far less than daily recommended doses of supplements.

Eat a calorie surplus of food in the right macro breakdowns daily. That's pretty much it.

BumRush

If you are looking for energy just some coffee or a caffeine pill. Pills are about 5 cents per 200mg, that's a big cup of coffee. Most PWs contain far less than daily recommended doses of supplements.

Eat a calorie surplus of food in the right macro breakdowns daily. That's pretty much it.

I agree. I'm completely over pre-workouts as they make me too jittery. A 16 oz. black coffee and some food is all I need.

mdsfx

I love the jitters that caffiene alone won't give me. Currently using Neon Sport Volt. I was using C4, but they are going through a possible lawsuit due to their interested ingredients lol.

crpav

I love the jitters that caffiene alone won't give me. Currently using Neon Sport Vault. I was using C4, but they are going through a possible lawsuit due to their interested ingredients lol.

"VOLT" is the product.....I used it and wasn't bad. Flavoring was good. Don't go too crazy with pres or get addicted to them.

Pretty much just caffeine and maybe some beta alanine. You really don't need anything else as a "pre-workout". There are advantages to taking things like creatine, citrulline malate and taurine, but they can be taken at any time rather than having to have them just before a workout.

You certainly don't need shit like DMAA.

crpav

Pretty much just caffeine and maybe some beta alanine. You really don't need anything else as a "pre-workout". There are advantages to taking things like creatine, citrulline malate and taurine, but they can be taken at any time rather than having to have them just before a workout.

You certainly don't need shit like DMAA.

"Don't need" varies from person to person. I agree but I go along the lines of use in moderation, depending on what product, is fine.

mdsfx

I was attracted to Volt simply because of having fewer ingredients. I know that doesn't necessarily make it safer, but it makes it seem that way.

"Don't need" varies from person to person. I agree but I go along the lines of use in moderation, depending on what product, is fine.

No, it really doesn't. You literally don't "need" to use it. You might like to, you might think it helps your lifts... but you don't need to.

Semantics maybe, but when you've got a beginner asking about pre-workout, I don't think pointing them towards DMAA is the smartest bet.

Teggy

We don't really have the sort of availability on those sorts of things in the UK as you have in the US. Anything bought on ebay would be cheap crap, unless it happened to be that someone was selling an old Inzer or something, but I doubt that's going to happen.

I should just see how much Inzer want to ship to the UK and then get my order in ready for the extremely long wait.

I do like the Rogue belt though - http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-lifting-belt

However, it's currently out of stock in Medium anyway, so liking it is largely irrelevant.

Edit - LMAO, no.

Sub Total: $89.95
UPS WorldWide Expedited: $109.31
Grand Total: $199.26

How about this:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-lever-belt.html

wait, 52 pounds, that's like weirdly cheap, right?

How about this:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-lever-belt.html

wait, 52 pounds, that's like weirdly cheap, right?

I've grabbed one of these for the time being whilst I can work out if I can get something from Rogue or Inzer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AHXITDE/

I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but I'm sure it'll do the job temporarily.

I actually looked at this one on Strength Shop as I didn't fancy the lever sort: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

Teggy

I've grabbed one of these for the time being whilst I can work out if I can get something from Rogue or Inzer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AHXITDE/

I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but I'm sure it'll do the job temporarily.

I actually looked at this one on Strength Shop as I didn't fancy the lever sort: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

I saw a couple of reviews on youtube and people seem to think it is a good belt and the price is great.

crpav

No, it really doesn't. You literally don't "need" to use it. You might like to, you might think it helps your lifts... but you don't need to.

Semantics maybe, but when you've got a beginner asking about pre-workout, I don't think pointing them towards DMAA is the smartest bet.

Yes sorry. I didn't pick up on or think about it was a beginner asking. I will edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom