• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently according to MYFitness Pal app, im not eating enough calories....been burning through everything i eat, and i eat like every hour ....grrrr

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Apparently according to MYFitness Pal app, im not eating enough calories....been burning through everything i eat, and i eat like every hour ....grrrr

Told me the same thing, which was super helpful. Had a nice 2000cal breakfast this morning. Hitting the gym now and will grab another 1000 for dinner.

mdsfx

Told me the same thing, which was super helpful. Had a nice 2000cal breakfast this morning. Hitting the gym now and will grab another 1000 for dinner.

Ugh... you guys bulking right now? I'm jealous. I've eaten 566 cal through lunch. I will be at 800 before dinner which is my largest meal (I reserve 1000+ for it).

I realized that my cheat day keeps expanding into other days. Waiting until breakfast tomorrow to go absolutely ape-shit. Let me imagine for a moment: 4 eggs, sausage or bacon, 4-5 waffles, maple syrup, OHGODYESMAPLESYRUPALLOVERME...

Granadier

Yeah, I'm skinny as fuck so I'm bulking. Almost every day I have to force myself to eat more though since my appetite is shit. Those shakes that were posted earlier have helped a ton with meeting my goals.

My breakfast was 4 eggs with 2 chopped up steaks and 2 slices of sharp cheddar. Sirachia on top. 2 glasses of whole milk.

Ugh... you guys bulking right now? I'm jealous. I've eaten 566 cal through lunch. I will be at 800 before dinner which is my largest meal (I reserve 1000+ for it).

I realized that my cheat day keeps expanding into other days. Waiting until breakfast tomorrow to go absolutely ape-shit. Let me imagine for a moment: 4 eggs, sausage or bacon, 4-5 waffles, maple syrup, OHGODYESMAPLESYRUPALLOVERME...

This reminds me that I need to start watching my weight, it keeps creeping up.

ILoveBish

Down another .8lbs, 221.2 this morning. Just 2.8lbs from the lowest I've ever been. I'm way leaner now then I was at 218.4 from the bulk I did tho.

I have my sister's bday party tonight so will be eating plenty, then it's back to the grind. I expect to be at all new lows by end of next week.

velociraptor

I've grabbed one of these for the time being whilst I can work out if I can get something from Rogue or Inzer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AHXITDE/

I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but I'm sure it'll do the job temporarily.

I actually looked at this one on Strength Shop as I didn't fancy the lever sort: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html
Let me know how you find the belt because I'm considering to pick one up as well.

BTW, how does one even use a belt? I've tried a couple at the gym while deadlifting but I'm not even sure if I'm using it right.

My preworkout is coffee with whey mixed in. I'll have an apple or something along side it maybe.

Haven't had a preworkout supplement in over a year.

EDIT: Oh, we're not on the preworkout talk anymore lol.

Szu

My preworkout is coffee with whey mixed in. I'll have an apple or something along side it maybe.

Yeah, the current conversation is about caloric intake and FE's "accidents".

However, expect an influx of "Goddamn" and "Made like look easy" comments regarding Brolic's bench press.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

We will talk about whatever you want whenever you want Quadzilla.

MeLe

Neo Member
Hey FitBros, I'm new to weight lifting and just wanted to check in and ask a couple of questions.

Height: 6'3

Weight: 212

Goal: General fitness and strength, specially focused on applying it to basketball (I'm 6'3 and can't dunk :(), and of course looking better naked. I think my ideal body would be Amar'e Stoudemire's in these pics: http://celebnmusic247.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Another-Knee-Surgery-for-Amare-930-2.jpg http://photos.essence.com/sites/default/files/images/2011/07/883163-amar_e_stoudemire.jpg . I could live with being a little heavier, and having a higher fat percentage though.

Current Training Schedule: mon-wed-fri

Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym equipment

Comments: I'm following this begginer routine: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ , which I found on Reddit and thought was pretty good according to what I have read so far. I'm a complete begginer to weight lifting so I think it's quite adecuate for me. Here are my questions though:

1) I've got pretty good cardio resistance so I, as predicted by the person who wrote the guide, wanted to do a bit more than the original routine and added the 2 additional excercises he suggests for each workout. I'm not really tired (in a cardiovascular sense) after finishing them, so my question is: would you guys do the same in my position? Or would it be better for me to just stick with the 3 original excercises in each workout?

2) My gym has a smith machine and I'm currently using that for squats. I've been watching a lot of form videos, and read some of the comments you guys have posted on this thread, but I still don't know if I should keep using the smith machine for my first weeks, or if I should transition to free barbell squats inmediately. My line of thinkings is that maybe I should get a bit stronger and gain more stability before advancing to a free barbell, as to avoid injury.

3) I've watched some proper form deadlift videos, but I'm still not sure if I've got it right or not. Is it a good sign that the DOMS I get the day after is mostly on my hamstrings? I'm going to try to get a video up to see if anyone can help me correct my form soon.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my broken engrish. Great community you guys have going on here :).

despire

Gonna try something different and cheaper with my diet for a change. Been eating chicken meatloaf+potatoes with other stuff for a while but I'm thinking about upping my fat intake a bit (now at ~55-60g) while lowering protein and carbs.

Meal plan would be something like this (not in any particular order):

"spanish" omelet:
-5 eggs
-200g potatoes
-200g tomatoes

^4 tablespoons of olive oil for frying.

-300g brussel sprouts

2 x oatmeal (40 + 40g of oats)

1 scoop of whey

200g cottage cheese

200g berries

2 bananas

50g almonds

2 x crisp bread (for fiber)

4 x fish oil capsules

Comes out something like 132g protein, 94g fat, 203g carbs. This should be relatively healthy I think. A pound of veggies plus around a pound of fruit and berries. Plus plenty of nuts. Also eggs are filled with nutritional stuff.

For a while now I've tried to incorporate more veggies and berries/fruit in my diet. I eat 200g of raspberries and blueberries with my cottage cheese every night. Also with the banana, I can notice that I fall asleep much better. When I didn't eat them for a while, I didn't fall asleep so quickly. Now that I eat them again, I sleep like a log.

Hey FitBros, I'm new to weight lifting and just wanted to check in and ask a couple of questions.

Height: 6'3

Weight: 212

Goal: General fitness and strength, specially focused on applying it to basketball (I'm 6'3 and can't dunk :(), and of course looking better naked. I think my ideal body would be Amar'e Stoudemire's in these pics: http://celebnmusic247.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Another-Knee-Surgery-for-Amare-930-2.jpg http://photos.essence.com/sites/default/files/images/2011/07/883163-amar_e_stoudemire.jpg . I could live with being a little heavier, and having a higher fat percentage though.

Current Training Schedule: mon-wed-fri

Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym equipment

Comments: I'm following this begginer routine: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ , which I found on Reddit and thought was pretty good according to what I have read so far. I'm a complete begginer to weight lifting so I think it's quite adecuate for me. Here are my questions though:

1) I've got pretty good cardio resistance so I, as predicted by the person who wrote the guide, wanted to do a bit more than the original routine and added the 2 additional excercises he suggests for each workout. I'm not really tired (in a cardiovascular sense) after finishing them, so my question is: would you guys do the same in my position? Or would it be better for me to just stick with the 3 original excercises in each workout?

2) My gym has a smith machine and I'm currently using that for squats. I've been watching a lot of form videos, and read some of the comments you guys have posted on this thread, but I still don't know if I should keep using the smith machine for my first weeks, or if I should transition to free barbell squats inmediately. My line of thinkings is that maybe I should get a bit stronger and gain more stability before advancing to a free barbell, as to avoid injury.

3) I've watched some proper form deadlift videos, but I'm still not sure if I've got it right or not. Is it a good sign that the DOMS I get the day after is mostly on my hamstrings? I'm going to try to get a video up to see if anyone can help me correct my form soon.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my broken engrish. Great community you guys have going on here :).

You can't learn BB squats by squatting in a smith machine. In fact you can only learn wrong movements patterns which will hurt you. Skip the smith machine and start with the barbell. There's literally no valid reason to do what you are planning on.

Anyway good job and ask away if you have any more questions.

mdsfx

You can't learn BB squats by squatting in a smith machine. In fact you can only learn wrong movements patterns which will hurt you. Skip the smith machine and start with the barbell. There's literally no valid reason to do what you are planning on.

Anyway good job and ask away if you have any more questions.
I agree that you should step out of the Smith and try barbell. Just start out very light as you grow more comfortable with it. Going back to a Smith machine after doing barbell feels terrible. Your natural bar path will not be a perfectly straight line and that's why the Smith works against you.

So... business as usual on the bench, complete and utter failure to hit my target. lol

However, another PR on the deadlift. \o/ Back feels a touch tweaky now, but I can tell it's just muscle tension rather than damage.

Related, I got a new ab wheel last week and it's making a massive difference to my core engagement on lifts. I throw in about two or three minutes of it in my warmup and that little bit of soreness really lets me concentrate on tightening everything up.

Edit - Oh, and on the bulking thing. I thought I'd got a handle on my calories but my weight increase seems to have stalled again. I'm eating such massive amounts now, crazy.

Let me know how you find the belt because I'm considering to pick one up as well.

BTW, how does one even use a belt? I've tried a couple at the gym while deadlifting but I'm not even sure if I'm using it right.

Will do. Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9LIsIpsQE

Granadier

If you don't have strong stabilizer muscles in the first place(me), the smith machine definitely helps. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm confident enough to do BB squats.

SeanR1221

sooooo, the deadlift racks get crazy busy....doing deadlifts with DB just as good?

Deadlift racks?

Are you talking about a smith machine?

Please don't use a smith machine to deadlift.

Find any corner and do deadlifts with a barbell. In my gym I call it the corner of shame. When I'm done back there it's covered and chalk and blood

If you don't have strong stabilizer muscles in the first place(me), the smith machine definitely helps. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm confident enough to do BB squats.

Then you should be doing air squats until you're comfortable with an empty bar on your back

My gym has a smith machine and I'm currently using that for squats.
So, this is the biggest problem with your big ass post. Squatting in the smith machine is counter-productive, it's way better to even just squat with an empty bar. It is too easy in the machine to start with your feet too far ahead or behind the bar, and then you won't be getting parts of your muscles stronger to do real squats at all.

Start at light weight, if you keep your mind on your form you won't hurt yourself. Lots of form videos on the web.

It'll get heavy soon enough as you'll be adding ten pounds to the squat every session. Also, in order to keep adding ten pounds every session you should probably cut the number of reps per set to 5. Or maybe switch to that once adding 10 makes it so you can't get 8 reps anymore. 3 sets of 5 reps with 3 minutes rest is scientifically proven to be the best way to build strength.

Fox318

Flex your muscles and intimate the person using the station.

If done correctly they will submit and you will have your deadlift station.

MeLe

Neo Member
So, this is the biggest problem with your big ass post. Squatting in the smith machine is counter-productive, it's way better to even just squat with an empty bar. It is too easy in the machine to start with your feet too far ahead or behind the bar, and then you won't be getting parts of your muscles stronger to do real squats at all.

Start at light weight, if you keep your mind on your form you won't hurt yourself. Lots of form videos on the web.

It'll get heavy soon enough as you'll be adding ten pounds to the squat every session. Also, in order to keep adding ten pounds every session you should probably cut the number of reps per set to 5. Or maybe switch to that once adding 10 makes it so you can't get 8 reps anymore. 3 sets of 5 reps with 3 minutes rest is scientifically proven to be the best way to build strength.
Thanks! If I switch to 3x5 should I still continue doing exactly the same routine? Or should I switch something else up too? Seems like it would be a really short routine if I did that.

mdsfx

Psychotext
Prefers testes over peanut butter
(Today, 3:31PM)

I don't think you intended to sound hostile, but this is pretty hostile language for a beginner.

yeah lol it did seem a little abrasive, especially when the OP asks people to post at least that much info. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

ILoveBish

Can you switch up the time of day you go? Is it 24 hours? Home gym soon!

Home gym is my only thing keeping me intact ATM. Soon..... And it's a 24 hour fitness super sport, I've gone at noon till 330pm in every 30 min window and it's packed to the brim. They're under equipped by a huge margin.

let me guess it's full of people eh?

There's 150+ people there at 2pm. Everything is taken. Do these people not work?

Home gym is my only thing keeping me intact ATM. Soon..... And it's a 24 hour fitness super sport, I've gone at noon till 330pm in every 30 min window and it's packed to the brim. They're under equipped by a huge margin.

There's 150+ people there at 2pm. Everything is taken. Do these people not work?
I noticed tons more in my gym too, maybe the new yrs people stuck with it more this time compared to the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom