• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I saw in the op about wearing belts and how it may hinder core strength growth, but is it recommended for your heavier lifts? Just on Deads?

OP is a bit out of date on that one too I'm afraid. Current science says it actually encourages more core activation (thus core strength increase). Still advised only to use them on your work sets though.

As for lifts, OHP, Deadlift, Squat.

OP is a bit out of date on that one too I'm afraid. Current science says it actually encourages more core activation (thus core strength increase). Still advised only to use them on your work sets though.

As for lifts, OHP, Deadlift, Squat.

Wow... I've been leaning towards grabbing one (especially for deads) but was put off. I'm in Aus so selection will be limited. What are the key things that make a good belt? Leather vs nylon. Thinker at the back and size? Cheers .

Edit: http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Harbinger-4-Leather-Weightlifting-Belt/49585001?menuFrom=40902
That ok?

Edit: isn't a belt supposed to support the front region as well as the back? They all produce belts with a wider back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here is the smoked Mac and cheese recipie. I make this on my primo with some changes (regular cheddar, garlic salt, not regular salt, and more of it, and a bit more mayo).

The two pans I made were completely demolished. Smoked with pecan and jack Daniels barrel chips.

http://youtu.be/jado2za9g8c

SeanR1221

You sicken me.

Can't wait to see you hit 500 dude.

Awesome dude, narrow stance for life :)

I look forward to my dead days, doing 5/3/1 so each session you essentially go for a pb, my 1rm number is slowly rising.

Edit: I saw in the op about wearing belts and how it may hinder core strength growth, but is it recommended for your heavier lifts? Just on Deads?

Easy peasy. When was the last time you maxed? And are you doing 531?

Also, anybody in here do Crossfit? Anybody doing the open?

Badass form, Sean.

And I gotta say, that beard really suits you. You should keep it.

Thanks fit bros 🙃

Jobs, haven't maxed out in a bit and yup, 5/3/1. Wanted to get form down better. Might do it soon on a 1s week. but I'll have to see how I'm feeling

Zefah, thanks, and I agree. The beard stays despite what the Mrs says. Well, she said she likes how it looks not how it feels. And that's with oiling and brushing it so it's nice and soft 😒

despire

Hey Bish you might find this interesting. I certainly did as it answers one of the questions we once pondered on how you are able to keep lifting so heavy while on full keto without any carb refeeds at all. I was listening to one of the interviews on http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/ and he (Menno) said that even in full keto diets, the muscle glycogen will restore to around 60% capacity every time (while even the hardest workouts could drain only around 40% of it). Body will restore the glycogen each and every time because without it you couldn't even move. So while a high carb diet will restore more of it, giving you extra oomph, even a keto diet will restore more than you can ever train with a sensible training routine.

Dunno where the glycogen comes though, that he didn't say :)

BumRush

Is this thread a safe space for talking about the uh...stomach havoc that happens with massively upping your calorie count?

Make sure you're still getting a proper amount of fiber. A lot of us use fibersure, fibercon or something similar.

Add probiotics in as well, as they will keep your stomach's good bacteria game tight.

Additionally, I'd recommend ginger tea to settle your stomach. I have a cup or two a week and it helps.

Calderc

Make sure you're still getting a proper amount of fiber. A lot of us use fibersure, fibercon or something similar.

Add probiotics in as well, as they will keep your stomach's good bacteria game tight.

Additionally, I'd recommend ginger tea to settle your stomach. I have a cup or two a week and it helps.

Oh fibre suuuure ain't the issue. I used to be pretty regular, and always had a good hour of that 'hnm, should probably go soon' feeling before things get hairy. Today I'm pretty sure the smell of my farts woke me up, then I had about 5 minutes before it was a mad rush to the throne.

I've got some probiotic yoghurt there so I'll have some of that and my mum is a big ginger tea fan so I'll steal some of hers. Thanks for the tip!

sphinx

the piano man
Good Morning dear fitgaffers in the Americas!

one question:

has anyone here done core exercises on every workout day? some trainers say ab exercises could/should be done every day and i am kind of curious.

before you answer, this isn't a "how do I get abs?" post. I know it's a diet thing and that some people get them only by doing compounds.

I mean whether someone here has done ab exercises for, say, a month, on every day and what results came out of that.

BumRush

Good Morning dear fitgaffers in the Americas!

one question:

has anyone here done core exercises on every workout day? some trainers say ab exercises could/should be done every day and i am kind of curious.

before you answer, this isn't a "how do I get abs?" post. I know it's a diet thing and that some people get them only by doing compounds.

I mean whether someone here has done ab exercises for, say, a month, on every day and what results came out of that.

I do a set of abs between every exercise...not set, entire exercise (i.e. After I finish my sets of DL, I do a set of reverse crunches. After I entirely finish shrugs, I do a set of side raises, etc.). That, coupled with focusing on my core when I do my compounds is certainly enough.

sphinx

the piano man
I do a set of abs between every exercise...not set, entire exercise (i.e. After I finish my sets of DL, I do a set of reverse crunches. After I entirely finish shrugs, I do a set of side raises, etc.). That, coupled with focusing on my core when I do my compounds is certainly enough.

Thanks for the input. so I guess this means you do ab work practically every day.

and going by your pics, it sure pays off! :)

mmh I have to decide what approach to take on this.

I am putting some order in my fitness goals/routines/exercises/diet right now, putting everything in a word document (fuck excel, lol) and tomorrow I want it to be the beginning of substantial change in my lifting life.

BumRush

Thanks for the input. so I guess this means you do ab work practically every day.

and going by your pics, it sure pays off! :)

mmh I have to decide what approach to take on this.

I am putting some order in my fitness goals/routines/exercises/diet right now, putting everything in a word document (fuck excel, lol) and tomorrow I want it to be the beginning of substantial change in my lifting life.

It allows me to hit them daily but never overdo it.

Give it a shot. You'll end up doing 4-5 sets of abs each workout, making sure to target a different area each time (upper, lower, obliques, inner).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It allows me to hit them daily but never overdo it.

Give it a shot. You'll end up doing 4-5 sets of abs each workout, making sure to target a different area each time (upper, lower, obliques, inner).

What exercises do you prefer for each area?

Oh god, I made a horrible mistake. Was worried about cycling too fast with my nephew so decided to go out with a 50lb weights vest on...

...6 hours later and I'm in agony. I had to take co-codamol whilst I was out on the trail as my collar bones were being wrecked. Starting to wear off now and everything hurts.

BumRush

What exercises do you prefer for each area?

Upper: crunches
Lower: dip bar leg raises
Obliques: lighter weight high rep side bends (I do it with 45s)
Inner: stomach vacuums

I don't believe in doing heavy weight ab exercises. That's just me personally, but high volume low weight seems to have a much greater impact.

I also love mountain climbers. Well I hate them but I love the impact they have.

Oh god, I made a horrible mistake. Was worried about cycling too fast with my nephew so decided to go out with a 50lb weights vest on...

...6 hours later and I'm in agony. I had to take co-codamol whilst I was out on the trail as my collar bones were being wrecked. Starting to wear off now and everything hurts.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Been trying out Beyond 5/3/1 for the past month and decided to re-test my 1RM on deadlifts. Ended up with a 185kg deadlift PB for current bodyweight (62kg) which is 5kg up from a month ago. Admittedly, I was 61kg a month ago so I've put a bit of weight on as well. Still think I'm as lean as I was, so hoping I've actually put some muscle on!

It's been nice to actually have a training programme to follow, as for the longest time I've been slightly free-wheeling it without any proper rep/set structure.

Excuse the bar drop at the end. https://www.instagram.com/p/BCVVOH6q5Km/?taken-by=chocojetpack

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Upper: crunches
Lower: dip bar leg raises
Obliques: lighter weight high rep side bends (I do it with 45s)
Inner: stomach vacuums

I don't believe in doing heavy weight ab exercises. That's just me personally, but high volume low weight seems to have a much greater impact.

I also love mountain climbers. Well I hate them but I love the impact they have.

Cheers. I'm going to try adding these into my routine.
So far I've just been doing planks+side planks for my core, but I'm starting to feel them lacking.

I'd also suggest an ab wheel. They're monstrous when you get the technique right, and cheap too.

Been trying out Beyond 5/3/1 for the past month and decided to re-test my 1RM on deadlifts. Ended up with a 185kg deadlift PB for current bodyweight (62kg) which is 5kg up from a month ago.

That's properly meaty for your weight. Nice!

Calderc

Second helping of curry coming up, no rice left and can't be bothered cooking more so gonna put it in a wrap and have a glass of whole milk on the side. I still feel so full from earlier, I don't think I've looked forward to a meal less :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Second helping of curry coming up, no rice left and can't be bothered cooking more so gonna put it in a wrap and have a glass of whole milk on the side. I still feel so full from earlier, I don't think I've looked forward to a meal less :(
I may re-watch that Warriors game too. Incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom