• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

...and 4 hours a day to workout plus the willpower to eat EXACTLY the way you're supposed to.

But honestly, 5 months is enough time to do a ton of good, fitness wise, if you're smart about it and committed.

mdsfx

Talentis gelato?
Well, I do have that too (doesn't everyone?!), but I was talking more in general terms like zswordsman here:
I too am on team food.

V2volPI.jpg

justjim89

Separating my lifting into different muscle groups on different days was a good idea, I'm definitely feeling it after every workout. Yesterday was shoulder and leg day, and today I'm feeling it everywhere from my shoulders up and my waist down. Ooof.

KillerBEA

Added 10 Pounds to my OHP today, yesssss! Wasn't even planning to attempt a new PR this week. It just felt right so I went for it. That puts my OHP right at 100!

To add to the awesome I managed to do some weighted dips, was an additional 10 pounds. Great workout today indeed!

velociraptor

...and 4 hours a day to workout plus the willpower to eat EXACTLY the way you're supposed to.

But honestly, 5 months is enough time to do a ton of good, fitness wise, if you're smart about it and committed.

I think the maximum muscle one can gain, provided all variables are spot on, is 2lbs per month.

What is the optimal training frequency to maximise muscle growth? 6 days a week? 4 days a week? 3 days a week?

BumRush

I think the maximum muscle one can gain, provided all variables are spot on, is 2lbs per month.

What is the optimal training frequency to maximise muscle growth? 6 days a week? 4 days a week? 3 days a week?

I'm really not sure, to be honest. I'm sure it's very specific to person, routine, diet, etc though.

You're right though...no one's going from out of shape to Brad Pitt in Troy in 5 months.

Peanut Butter is amazing

Were going to get along here just fine.

I would say whatever feels good for you without overtraining. Some peeps hit each muscle group 1x per week in 3-4 days. Others over 6. Others 2x per week over 6 and everything in-between.

I personally hit 1x per week for 6 days, day 7 rest. Leg, chest, back, shoulders, bis, tris. I throw in an extra bit of legs on day 4 or 5 and hit abs lightly 2x per week on 2, 5.

Works for me. You'll need to find what you respond to: volume, weight, etc and go from there or stick with a known program that works. I'll add tho that any decent routine will work so long as you don't under/overtrain and eat properly. If you are following a good routine and spinning your wheels, 99% of the time it's diet related.

Also listen to your body. Know if you need to deload or rest a week. I prefer rest weeks over deloads. I don't sit on the couch the whole time, I do small stuff like bag work, more sparring, mobility, etc. So it's like a deload but I change channels a bit, I just don't touch the iron.

mdsfx

Pretty cool transformation on Reddit. A little dramatic with the music, but that's understandable.

https://youtu.be/TJUrciJSBZ8

Oh, big surprise:
"The biggest thing was counting calories. It's about how much you eat, not so much about what you eat, if that makes sense. I ate around 1800-2000 calories a day continually and the weight came off (I used myfitnesspal to track my calories). I started off eating just whatever I was used to eating. Things like bagels, noodles and sauce, etc. All I did was count everything I ate and almost never went over my set amount. Over time, I got better at what I ate. Brown rice, baked chicken, broccoli, etc."

Dinjooh

Pretty cool transformation on Reddit. A little dramatic with the music, but that's understandable.

Oh, big surprise:
"The biggest thing was counting calories. It's about how much you eat, not so much about what you eat, if that makes sense. I ate around 1800-2000 calories a day continually and the weight came off (I used myfitnesspal to track my calories). I started off eating just whatever I was used to eating. Things like bagels, noodles and sauce, etc. All I did was count everything I ate and almost never went over my set amount. Over time, I got better at what I ate. Brown rice, baked chicken, broccoli, etc."

I had the same revelation pretty much, just the opposite way.

I was trying to gain weight and I just kept on eating what I always did - quickly figured out, hitting 2500kc + on my old diet was pretty fucking impossible, so I had to learn to enjoy things I've never really eaten before and eating at a frequency that is still strange to me.

Parshias7

Are there any tips for a newbie dealing with post-workout soreness? Should you be waiting for the soreness to be totally gone before repeating that type of exercise, or just grit it out? If it helps at all the soreness is pretty faint at the moment, but as someone who hasn't worked out much I'm a little worried that if I just go all gung-ho I could end up hurting myself.

Faiz

My Easter cheat was saved - Dad went to visit my grandmother (she was feeling ill and is the reason dinner was initially cancelled) and came back with a ton of food she'd prepared. Ham, potato salad, strawberry shortcake, caramel apple pie, we went ahead and made the spinach salad with Gorgonzola/toasted walnuts/strawberries we were going to take and also whipped up some deviled eggs. It was glorious.

Post-holiday weight: 167.2, .4 down from Saturday morning.

There was a nice sized slice of caramel apple pie sitting in the pie plate this morning I was extremely tempted by, but fun time's over, want to hit sub 165 by the end of the week if I can.

Are there any tips for a newbie dealing with post-workout soreness? Should you be waiting for the soreness to be totally gone before repeating that type of exercise, or just grit it out? If it helps at all the soreness is pretty faint at the moment, but as someone who hasn't worked out much I'm a little worried that if I just go all gung-ho I could end up hurting myself.

Normally two days after the workout (leg day, shoulder day etc. ) that's when the pain is at its peak. It's a good feeling so it shows that your Body is improving and recovering. But as someone who hasn't done much exercise, the recovery period may take longer. Four/Five days after the workout you can do that workout area again and eventually the more you get accustomed to it, the shorter the recovery period will be so you will be able to do more workouts in time :)
This is based on my experience so it may be different for others ?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I was trying to gain weight and I just kept on eating what I always did - quickly figured out, hitting 2500kc + on my old diet was pretty fucking impossible, so I had to learn to enjoy things I've never really eaten before and eating at a frequency that is still strange to me.

I'm in the exact same boat. It's hard to go from eating once a day (if that) to trying to eat 3+ times a day.

Oh, big surprise:

i used to be be do well with counting calories but then i got lazy entering it into the app. i need to start up again

Ok, so I'm going to give bench another chance by moving it over to 5/3/1 style programming (just that lift for now, I'm happy with the progression of my others).

I've got the Beyond 5/3/1 book, but there's so much variety on the options here that I'm a little confused by it. Knowing that I really struggle with my bench (and worry a lot about my shoulders), would I be best off doing first set last (AMRAP?) vs going heavy on joker sets? I know jokers are only for when I'm feeling beastly (lol), but I'm wondering if for injury avoidance sake I might just be best off leaving them out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, so I'm going to give bench another chance by moving it over to 5/3/1 style programming (just that lift for now, I'm happy with the progression of my others).

I've got the Beyond 5/3/1 book, but there's so much variety on the options here that I'm a little confused by it. Knowing that I really struggle with my bench (and worry a lot about my shoulders), would I be best off doing first set last (AMRAP?) vs going heavy on joker sets? I know jokers are only for when I'm feeling beastly (lol), but I'm wondering if for injury avoidance sake I might just be best off leaving them out.

No offense to you what so ever, but this is the difference between advanced and beginner routines. It's confusing due to your lack of time training. If I were you I'd use the regular 5/3/1 template, then slowly add/try new things. Also if you're interested I'd read up on as many different programs/articles as you can to educate yourself to a point where the programs aren't confusing.

In part, but it's mostly confusing because there are a significant number of variations listed, and obviously you're almost never going to find a routine aimed at someone that does two to three hours of cardio on a programs usual rest days.

No-one seems to agree on what works best out of the listed routines either (some people swear by BBB, others say it's a complete waste of time), which is why I wanted more general advice on going for volume at lower weight vs using jokers to start getting the feel of heavier weight on the bar (and the risks associated). I understand the general concepts (just about), but my biggest issue is that I'm very much an edge case in the weightlifting world.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In part, but it's mostly confusing because there are a significant number of variations listed, and obviously you're almost never going to find a routine aimed at someone that does two to three hours of cardio on a programs usual rest days.

No-one seems to agree on what works best out of the listed routines either (some people swear by BBB, others say it's a complete waste of time), which is why I wanted more general advice on going for volume at lower weight vs using jokers to start getting the feel of heavier weight on the bar (and the risks associated). I understand the general concepts (just about), but my biggest issue is that I'm very much an edge case in the weightlifting world.

That's because everyone is different with different goals. You need to have time under the bar and experiment yourself to be able to make sense of what works for you. That will also help you understand the what and why of other programs.

Fair enough. My head tells me I should avoid jokers for the time being, at least until I can make it a decent amount of time without injury, so I'm going to experiment that way for now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there a way to stop that "want to vomit" feeling when lifting hard?

I've noticed that if I drink too much water while lifting it will make it worse, but sometimes even drinking sips to wet my mouth will cause it to come on. Especially with squats.

mdsfx

I've noticed that if I drink too much water while lifting it will make it worse, but sometimes even drinking sips to wet my mouth will cause it to come on. Especially with squats.
Drinking too much water and not allowing my heart rate to recover between sets usually does me in.

What are you eating before your workouts?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Nope, I still get it from time to time.

I go in the mornings after I wake up, so usually it's just a cup of coffee and a protein bar. Afterwards is when I eat breakfast.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

I would try a couple workouts (maybe a week straight) without the protein bar and see how how you feel.

Protein bars tend to be fortified with fiber, and also high in fat. Both nutrients tend to slow down digestion, which in turn can hamper athletic performance.

If you feel you need the extra energy, I would go with a protein shake instead, or a very light snack.

Alternatively, you might just be dehydrated. So you could also try bring a water bottle with you to the gym to sip on either water or gatorade during your workouts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I would try a couple workouts (maybe a week straight) without the protein bar and see how how you feel.

Protein bars tend to be fortified with fiber, and also high in fat. Both nutrients tend to slow down digestion, which in turn can hamper athletic performance.

If you feel you need the extra energy, I would go with a protein shake instead, or a very light snack.

Alternatively, you might just be dehydrated. So you could also try bring a water bottle with you to the gym to sip on either water or gatorade during your workouts.

I'll try without the bar in the morning. I've tried a protein shake beforehand, but that only made things worse.
Right now I bring a water bottle with every time and take sips in between sets.

On Wednesday I'll try out these recommendations and report back. Thanks all.

justjim89

Damn it all. A week of severely limiting my carbs and I'm still hovering around the same weight I've been at for like 3 months now. That's discouraging. Maintaining a decent diet sucks, especially when you don't do the grocery shopping for your house and there are always snacks around the house.

BumRush

Damn it all. A week of severely limiting my carbs and I'm still hovering around the same weight I've been at for like 3 months now. That's discouraging. Maintaining a decent diet sucks, especially when you don't do the grocery shopping for your house and there are always snacks around the house.

Carbs have a lot less to do with it than caloric intake though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom