• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParityBit

So my wife and I want to get in cardio shape/lose weight. Because of busy lifestyles (work/kids) we are looking to get an elliptical machine for our house.

Any suggestions for a decent/heavier machine. Space is not really an issue, but we want something which will last and can take somewhat of a beating. I was looking at something like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...1339026&cp=4413986.4417717&categoryId=4417730

I am not sure though because I have always just used the ones at the gym and those are a total different league.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
First week of fasting every other day, went from 189 (probably due to bloat) to 182. Feel strong in the gym still as long as I carbo load before my gymtime.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Easter GAINS

1935223_10209248575882406_5442199877039199823_n.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
A few things that did it for me...

1). cutting back on whiskey (unfortunately). "Dark alcohols" are really bad for BP.
2). tracking my sodium intake (sort of a no brainer)
3). hibiscus tea. It's a HBP wonder drug. Give it a shot!

In addition, I eat better, do more cardio, avoid stress, meditate daily, etc. In 6-8 weeks I lowered it over 20 points and it's consistently stayed lower.

I haven't had a drink since January. But sodium seems to be my weakness. Thanks for the tips!

I've been doing the Allpro beginner routine. I just finished the first cycle and I see some results already. Looking forward to increasing all my weights next week. The routine is deceptively easy the first two weeks but my god, the last two weeks have been really challenging! I love it.

Anyone else on Fitness-GAF do the same routine? Any thoughts?

ParityBit

You have my vote for the airdyne (and others in here as well). Can't speak to ellipticals unfortunately as I never feel comfortable on them.

Really dumb question I know but ..... Do you get the same sort of Cardio workout on a bike? I have never really worked on one. I need to lose weight (more than my fair share) and I always have been able to drop it doing cardio. Plus I plan on playing (once I get in some shape) Ultimate and soccer again.

Prologue

I've actually had shoulder muscle pain for over a year and stopped going to the gym because of that. Doctors said the rhomboid muscles were inflamed. Got anti-inflammatory but it didnt work. X-rays were clean. Got side tracked with school and work and haven't gone back since and still have discomfort. I notice that during my dental related classes(where I have to keep my back straight), my pain has decreased during the day.

Is possible for the gym to actually make my pain better by strengthening the muscles?

Hi guys I'm JollyJoe! (FYI my real name isn't Joe)
I'm currently 17 (soon 18 in July!) and I've started going to the gym. I wouldn't be able to do it on my own but my two best friends are gymLADS (if that's a thing) and they've helped me motivate myself to finally head to the gym.
Started since January. I'm typically a scrawny guy but my goal is to eventually be lean! I'm not too interested in being HUGE but want to look good etc.
I'm new to this thread so I'll post time to time and see how it goes :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why 5 hours? I mean, I do this myself, as long as the meat stays above 140f.

It breaks down even more. If I see steam rise when I crack it open, I did it too early.

I read somewhere it's best to let the meat rest half the time it cooked, and it's worked exceptionally well for me so far.

mdsfx

It's funny how much you want to do something when you can't! Dreams of running on a Trackmania Stadium course for a Gold medal last night were priceless lol

TheJoRu

Well, it's time to put this thread in my subscriptions. Just like JollyJoe above I'm beginning my journey of getting fit. I'm a thin guy age 21, 132 lbs, 5'8" height. Big part of getting started is starting to eat more to gain weight (which I will then make into muscle at the gym). I eat quite a lot already, but my metabolism is pretty damn strong so I guess I'll just have to up my game and eat even more to beat it. Simple as that. Eating lots of eggs and drinking a bunch of milk is a start.

In terms of my strength training, I'm very much a beginner. Thankfully my local gym has some sessions for beginners where they teach you how their machines work and teach you the technique of some basic exercises. I'm in this for the long run, so I'll take it slow and start and only do things that I think I can handle at the moment and gradually go from there. Mostly I just want to feel better and stronger and have more energy. The looks will come naturally with time, if I follow through.

Maybe I'll write here some more with time and share my progress. Or maybe I falter and it falls through, and 6 months from now I'll find this post again and lower my head in shame. I'm not letting that happen, I'm not. Wish me luck!

mdsfx

Well, it's time to put this thread in my subscriptions. Just like JollyJoe above I'm beginning my journey of getting fit. I'm a thin guy age 21, 132 lbs, 5'8" height. Big part of getting started is starting to eat more to gain weight (which I will then make into muscle at the gym). I eat quite a lot already, but my metabolism is pretty damn strong so I guess I'll just have to up my game and eat even more to beat it. Simple as that. Eating lots of eggs and drinking a bunch of milk is a start

Eating was everything for me. I spun my wheels for years with a thin build and high metabolism. Eventually I started eating a lot more and paying attention to my protein intake. Went from 130 to 170, then cut back down to 155-160. It's really worth tracking calories to understand what your body needs to change.

Stick with it and come here when you have questions or need support. Lots of great people post here with tons of knowledge.

BumRush

Really dumb question I know but ..... Do you get the same sort of Cardio workout on a bike? I have never really worked on one. I need to lose weight (more than my fair share) and I always have been able to drop it doing cardio. Plus I plan on playing (once I get in some shape) Ultimate and soccer again.

Not dumb at all. And yes, I've actually cut down on the time I spend doing cardio because the airdyne is such a good workout. The harder you pedal the more the resistance, so you get an insane HIIT session in.

After having access to a gym at school... Which I'm lucky to have the opportunity there... I'm now on Easter break full of revision work! (Whoop...). Since I'm on a three and a half week break, I no longer have access to a gym...
Wouldn't it make sense to Bulk Up during this time? My regular regime with access to a gym would be to use Creatine, two shakes of Protein and a Mass Gainer shake (2 scoops)...
But now that I won't be gaming for this period of time, wouldn't it make sense to just use 4 scoops of Mass Gainer a day (which is the recommended dosage) until I go back to school to help with the bulking process for the Summer Term/Semester?

I'm just about 6 weeks out from my 1 year weigh in. My progress so far I feel is on point. Comparing the numbers this morning I'm very satisfied with where I sit and then some. A few challenging months here and there but overall I'm on track. Sucks I have no real "before" pictures other than a few photos that were never intended as "before" shots. No big tho.

Subbed ive just started working out to lose some weight my starting weight was 356 (did not want to hit 360 so i had to start something) i am down to 346 in just under 5 days which im glad with ive been trying to limit / watch what i eat glad there is a thread / community for this type of thing great tips on every page.

Had a weird pain in my shoulder for the last two weeks, Bench and ohp 1rm have dropped like a stone....

What's the best way of dealing with this, push through it or complete rest?

No Love

Banned
Had a weird pain in my shoulder for the last two weeks, Bench and ohp 1rm have dropped like a stone....

What's the best way of dealing with this, push through it or complete rest?

You need to wait it out. You could've torn your rotator cuff or something else that will fuck you over hard in the long run if you continue to damage it.

justjim89

Had a good shoulder/leg day and 45 minutes of uphill treadmill, then made some delicious peanut soy chicken and rice for dinner. I'm full, I had a good workout, and I'm still about 600 calories under my allotment for the day and well under all my macros except sodium. Feeling good.

ILoveBish

Went to the tractor supply place and got a 100lb horse mat for the platform I'm going to build in the home gym. I should be done buying stuff for a while.

Put a low carb cheesecake in the freezer now to cool down, will enjoy tomorrow.

Well that was a bit of a disaster. Severe high winds and rain meant a lot of the second day of my bikepacking trip was spent pushing the bike... problem was, with a wrecked shoulder, pushing the bike felt worse than trying to ride it.

Shoulder is now in a really bad state. Would be surprised if I can do anything weights related with it for at least a week.

velociraptor

bought 4 different flavors of the non-dairy ben and jerry's

easily pleased by the flavor of Chunky Monkey. wanted to try the new core flavors (cookies and cream and cheesecake) but dairy #RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom