• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Carbs have a lot less to do with it than caloric intake though.

I was going to say exactly that. If you were eating all carbs, but were under your maintenance calories, you would still lose weight (not including extra retained water).

justjim89

Yeah, that's true. My problem is before-bed snacking. I have to stay up a little later and let the dog in for the night before I can go to sleep, and that means passing through the kitchen at 11:30-midnight. So I can be 500 to 800 calories under my caloric allotment, factoring in exercise, but then my appetite will get the best of me and I'll suddenly be even with or above my allotment.

I can never just have like one bite of something or a tiny little snack. It's like I can either not eat or eat like 1,000 calories per sitting.

BumRush

Willpower dude.

Squeeze a fatty part of your body right before you're about to go for that snack and tell yourself it won't go away unless you skip that snack. Also, chug a glass of water instead. Your body will temporarily tell you it's full.

Don't work hard only to blow it at midnight each night.

justjim89

Willpower dude.

Squeeze a fatty part of your body right before you're about to go for that snack and tell yourself it won't go away unless you skip that snack. Also, chug a glass of water instead. Your body will temporarily tell you it's full.

Don't work hard only to blow it at midnight each night.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Even before I started lifting again, I was running two hours a day and not losing much ever since like November. These days my cardio is reduced but I'm working out harder than I ever have and have nothing to show for it for the last 3-4 months aside from a bit more muscle definition. Compared to the first few months of my weight loss where I basically dropped 60 pounds in 4 months.

Faiz

Yeah, that's true. My problem is before-bed snacking. I have to stay up a little later and let the dog in for the night before I can go to sleep, and that means passing through the kitchen at 11:30-midnight. So I can be 500 to 800 calories under my caloric allotment, factoring in exercise, but then my appetite will get the best of me and I'll suddenly be even with or above my allotment.

I can never just have like one bite of something or a tiny little snack. It's like I can either not eat or eat like 1,000 calories per sitting.

You have to shut that down. Stop saying things like "i can never". You absolutely can, and you have to.

Often times after dinner some time my wife will ask if I want some ice cream, or a piece of chocolate. I say, "I'm done eating for the day". Tell yourself that after your caloric goal for the day is met. Say it out loud.

mdsfx

You have to shut that down. Stop saying things like "i can never". You absolutely can, and you have to.

Often times after dinner some time my wife will ask if I want some ice cream, or a piece of chocolate. I say, "I'm done eating for the day". Tell yourself that after your caloric goal for the day is met. Say it out loud.

This. And STAY THE F**K OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

I have the same issue some days.

BumRush

I love making crock pot chili because it's amazing, healthy and you can eat it for 4-5 days. Unfortunately, sometimes I get sick of it by day 4-5. I was reading Men's Health last night and they suggested making chili stuffed sweet potatoes with leftovers to mix it up. Definitely going to try that.

justjim89

Yeah, I need to exert more self control. I'm not working my ass off and waking up sore every day just to maintain.

BumRush

Yeah, I need to exert more self control. I'm not working my ass off and waking up sore every day just to maintain.

You may also want to look into intermittent fasting AND having more fiber at dinner. These are two things that can help with self-control and help you curb your appetite.

justjim89

You may also want to look into intermittent fasting AND having more fiber at dinner. These are two things that can help with self-control and help you curb your appetite.

I'll have to try the fiber. I'll try a 24 hour fast every week or so, and I can usually make it about 18-20. Making into a more regular thing, maybe on my cardio days, would probably go a long way.

BumRush

I'll have to try the fiber. I'll try a 24 hour fast every week or so, and I can usually make it about 18-20. Making into a more regular thing, maybe on my cardio days, would probably go a long way.

Others might disagree but I don't really believe in 24 hour fasts. I know they work for others but I lose too much energy, focus, etc. if I don't eat for that long. Why don't you try 6 days a week 16 hours of fasting / 8 hours of eating. By making it your plan, you'll have another little voice in your head saying "it's outside my window, I can't eat"

justjim89

Others might disagree but I don't really believe in 24 hour fasts. I know they work for others but I lose too much energy, focus, etc. if I don't eat for that long. Why don't you try 6 days a week 16 hours of fasting / 8 hours of eating. By making it your plan, you'll have another little voice in your head saying "it's outside my window, I can't eat"

That's not a bad idea, make it a regular part of the day instead of an isolated day where I feel like I can't have anything.

Y'all are a lot of help, thanks.

ILoveBish

Up 5.4lbs since Friday morning, but no worries. So much water retention, just barely had any water. I'll fix it today.

Got the house keys Easter morning, changing locks today. First week is going to be paint and some laminate install, then likely move in next week.

I love making crock pot chili because it's amazing, healthy and you can eat it for 4-5 days. Unfortunately, sometimes I get sick of it by day 4-5. I was reading Men's Health last night and they suggested making chili stuffed sweet potatoes with leftovers to mix it up. Definitely going to try that.
On my way over! Make plenty!

velociraptor

I could never imagine fasting for 24h..

I'd literally die

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it all. A week of severely limiting my carbs and I'm still hovering around the same weight I've been at for like 3 months now. That's discouraging. Maintaining a decent diet sucks, especially when you don't do the grocery shopping for your house and there are always snacks around the house.

What are you eating?

Damnit, this shin thing is definitely a new injury for the list

As soon as I finished squatting I started getting sharp pain when I moved around. Just can't catch a break.

justjim89

What are you eating?

Breakfast is usually either a slim fast shake with a tbsp of peanut butter and a banana, or about two servings of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and 2% milk. Lunch is either typically a light wrap with turkey or ham and a little low sodium salami, or pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and brown rice. Dinner is up in the air most days depending on if I'm cooking or my mom is. Typically some kind of meat and pasta, though lately I've been trying to stay away from pasta. Ate a bunch of canned ham and turkey loaf over Easter weekend.

Snacking is where things usually go off the rails, and I just need to curb that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Breakfast is usually either a slim fast shake with a tbsp of peanut butter and a banana, or about two servings of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and 2% milk. Lunch is either typically a light wrap with turkey or ham and a little low sodium salami, or pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and brown rice. Dinner is up in the air most days depending on if I'm cooking or my mom is. Typically some kind of meat and pasta, though lately I've been trying to stay away from pasta. Ate a bunch of canned ham and turkey loaf over Easter weekend.

Snacking is where things usually go off the rails, and I just need to curb that.

That sounds like precisely the opposite of "severely limiting carbs."

I know you said you didn't want to get rid of carbs completely, but it might be worth trying to eliminate them from all but one meal each day. Maybe dinner (especially after a workout). That way you wouldn't be spiking your blood sugar and releasing lots of insulin multiple times throughout the day.

olore

Reading up on the last page here and I can really sympatize and basically see myself in the same situation as some has described here. I usually have no appetite at all in the morning and just have a low-calorie smoothie. I can handle the meals and the eating-sensibly thing pretty well during the day, but it´s like a switch is thrown every night when the family is in bed and I´m up by myself. The snacking goes from bad to downright horrible. Considering how hard the fridge has been raided, I´ve miraculously not suffered too bad on the scales, but I really feel like I have to break this pattern of being mostly in charge to completely lose it more or less every friggin´ day.

I also had a weight lifting regime I did at home every other day. I did fast progress in the beginning, but tailed of after that and it all felt like a chore instead. I realize the eating and excercise go hand in hand. If I find a way back in one end, I´ll find it at the other too I think.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, it is encouraging to read up on the advice here. I´ll buckle up

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reading up on the last page here and I can really sympatize and basically see myself in the same situation as some has described here. I usually have no appetite at all in the morning and just have a low-calorie smoothie. I can handle the meals and the eating-sensibly thing pretty well during the day, but it´s like a switch is thrown every night when the family is in bed and I´m up by myself. The snacking goes from bad to downright horrible. Considering how hard the fridge has been raided, I´ve miraculously not suffered too bad on the scales, but I really feel like I have to break this pattern of being mostly in charge to completely lose it more or less every friggin´ day.

I also had a weight lifting regime I did at home every other day. I did fast progress in the beginning, but tailed of after that and it all felt like a chore instead. I realize the eating and excercise go hand in hand. If I find a way back in one end, I´ll find it at the other too I think.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, it is encouraging to read up on the advice here. I´ll buckle up

It's tough when you live with family or friends and don't have full control over the fridge, but the only surefire way to prevent snacking like that is to just not have any of that shit in the house from the get go.

justjim89

That sounds like precisely the opposite of "severely limiting carbs."

I know you said you didn't want to get rid of carbs completely, but it might be worth trying to eliminate them from all but one meal each day. Maybe dinner (especially after a workout). That way you wouldn't be spiking your blood sugar and releasing lots of insulin multiple times throughout the day.

For me, that was significantly less carbs. It basically amounted to "no bread."

I just don't understand how to not eat carbs completely, it seems like they're in just about everything. Even my go-to fruits like apples and bananas have them. I'm looking through my food logs on myfitnesspal and just about everything I eat has at least a little bit of carbs in it.

The basic philosophy of no carb eating is basically more meat, fruit, and vegetables and little to no starches, right? That's more or less what I've been trying to keep in mind.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For me, that was significantly less carbs. It basically amounted to "no bread."

I just don't understand how to not eat carbs completely, it seems like they're in just about everything. Even my go-to fruits like apples and bananas have them. I'm looking through my food logs on myfitnesspal and just about everything I eat has at least a little bit of carbs in it.

The basic philosophy of no carb eating is basically more meat, fruit, and vegetables and little to no starches, right? That's more or less what I've been trying to keep in mind.

Meat, fish, eggs, dairy (assuming no allergies), leafy green and non-starchy vegetables, low-sugar (non-starchy) fruits (including those often considered vegetables like avocados and tomatoes).

If you're interested in learning more and aren't adverse to reading books, I could recommend plenty of literature to get you started.

justjim89

Meat, fish, eggs, dairy (assuming no allergies), leafy green and non-starchy vegetables, low-sugar (non-starchy) fruits (including those often considered vegetables like avocados and tomatoes).

If you're interested in learning more and aren't adverse to reading books, I could recommend plenty of literature to get you started.

I mean, I don't eat fish or eggs or vegetables, but the rest of the stuff I've been leaning on more lately. Especially protein since I've started lifting again.

I don't mind doing a bit of reading, I've gone over a few articles lately on dietary changes for reducing body fat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I don't eat fish or eggs or vegetables, but the rest of the stuff I've been leaning on more lately. Especially protein since I've started lifting again.

I don't mind doing a bit of reading, I've gone over a few articles lately on dietary changes for reducing body fat.

May I ask why you won't eat vegetables? I mean, even something simple like a portion of spinach every day alongside a side of meat would probably benefit you.

Protein is extremely important, but you really don't need *that* much each day to build muscle, especially when you're just starting out. Some people go absolute nuts with like 200g ~ 250g or even more each day, focusing on lean meats like boring-ass chicken breast, etc.

justjim89

May I ask why you won't eat vegetables? I mean, even something simple like a portion of spinach every day alongside a side of meat would probably benefit you.

Honestly, it's because I'm a baby and a picky eater. Never learned to eat them as a kid so I never learned to like them. Especially the texture. Even a bit of lettuce on a sandwich grosses me out. One time three or four years ago I ate a single green bean and it kinda ruined my day.

vypek

Speaking of boring ass chicken breast...ideas of what to do with it? I'm so tired of chicken yet it's so affordable.

Also kinda sick of the taste of brown rice. Need to find something to change the flavor sometimes.

Nutrition is the real problem for me when it comes to fitness.

I genuinely don't see the point of brown rice over something like Basmati. Especially as brown rice has a not insignificant quantity of phytic acid, which is an anti-nutrient.

As for chicken, curry. Almost limitless varieties. Plus many of the spices used are all sorts of good for you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of boring ass chicken breast...ideas of what to do with it? I'm so tired of chicken yet it's so affordable.

Also kinda sick of the taste of brown rice. Need to find something to change the flavor sometimes.

Nutrition is the real problem for me when it comes to fitness.

Use lots of fats like butter or coconut oil when cooking with it. Currying it up is a good suggestion, too.

You can also upgrade to chicken thighs at the very least.

vypek

I genuinely don't see the point of brown rice over something like Basmati. Especially as brown rice has a not insignificant quantity of phytic acid, which is an anti-nutrient.

As for chicken, curry. Almost limitless varieties. Plus many of the spices used are all sorts of good for you.

Just got into the habit of getting brown and/or yellow rice when I shop. Haven't had Basmati in a while so I will probably pick some up and give it a go. Curry is a good idea for the chicken. Thanks. Will try that too.

Use lots of fats like butter or coconut oil when cooking with it. Currying it up is a good suggestion, too.

You can also upgrade to chicken thighs at the very least.

Oh, thats an interesting idea. I'll buy chicken thighs next time I go shopping as well.

Thanks, to both of you.

Faiz

Honestly, it's because I'm a baby and a picky eater. Never learned to eat them as a kid so I never learned to like them. Especially the texture. Even a bit of lettuce on a sandwich grosses me out. One time three or four years ago I ate a single green bean and it kinda ruined my day.

At the risk of being repetitive...you need to shut that down and eat your damn vegetables.

justjim89

At the risk of being repetitive...you need to shut that down and eat your damn vegetables.

I know, I know. Like I said, I'm just being a baby.

Unless I wanna die of a heart attack before I'm 50, I really ought to find at least a few veggies I can eat. Just not sure what to try. Even the smell of something like broccoli or spinach makes me feel ill, so that's probably not ideal. I've heard good things about asparagus.

skip

I know, I know. Like I said, I'm just being a baby.

Unless I wanna die of a heart attack before I'm 50, I really ought to find at least a few veggies I can eat. Just not sure what to try. Even the smell of something like broccoli or spinach makes me feel ill, so that's probably not ideal. I've heard good things about asparagus.

brussels sprouts + bacon
zucchini + parmesan
cucumber + feta
asparagus + prosciutto
anything + hummus or cottage cheese

despire

Got a good recipe for that chili?

That is fucking bananas. Someone should post that in the "advantages of being fit" thread.

My favorite was the deadlift --> backflips part. That dude is enjoying the fuck out of life.

Does this guy have a YouTube channel? Can't find his name.
Jujimufu is his name I think. He has an IG at least

Jujimifu is one of the few fitness guys on YT I follow. I do so purely for motivational purposes. The guy really enjoys himself, being fit, and taking his body to crazy levels. I totally admire that.

mdsfx

Man, after that weekend binge I did not feel like eating much at all yesterday. I think I came out at 1000 calories below maintenance at the end of the day. That NEVER happens lol

mdsfx

Today, on Morning Meditation with Mich<3l

mG4USkL.jpg

Teggy

Had a terrible stomach bug or food poisoning last night. Going to miss my first workout since last October. Probably was overdue for a rest anyway.

KillerBEA

Killed it on legs today!

Was a non max out week, but my sets felt so good I decided to try a new PR anyways. Nailed it! Back Squats now at 225 lbs. Took a few minute breather and hit up Front Squats and PR'd that too. Granted I still haven't found my 1 rep max for front squats, but it felt great to explore my capacity for it a little more. Got up to 100 lbs for 3 reps. Could tell I was really starting to wear out so I didn't continue on further.

This has been a great week so far! PR'd Overhead Press, Front Squat, and Back Squat. Not meaning to PR this week, just felt right so I went for it.

Today, on Morning Meditation with Mich<3l
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom