• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

monthly progress pic, not too much of a drastic change from the pic last month but little things here and there that I notice are popping out more. Hovering around 223-225.

yeah, I plan on hopping back on the strength train eventually, just want to go at it the best way possible

Looking great, bud!

Right, not risking squats today. Need to see if I can get this shit to heal up properly before I go at it again.

So... anyone have any suggestions for exercises targetting my lower back, ass or hamstrings? I do barbell glute bridge already, but I might try it at a higher rep range. Probably wont do romanian deadlifts as I did them the day before yesterday, but anything else is fair game.

velociraptor

I suspect my deadlift form is pretty terrible and it probably explains why I'm not able to lift too heavy. How do I learn to use my posterior chain and hamstring in the lift instead of your back to pull?

Don't actually know how to do those, and have heard they can properly fuck you up if you get them wrong. Anyone recommend a form guide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fkhcYDBWE

1h41m in is the walkthrough for good mornings.

There's also like 2h15m of squat education courtesy of Greg Nuckols in there as well if you're interested in watching it lol (I'm not sure why but I watched the whole thing when it was uploaded).

Cudder

OHP is such a funny exercise, man. I got 5x5 @ 170lbs last week, tack on 5 pounds this week and it's like the heaviest shit ever and can barely get a set of 5. Definitely the hardest lift to progress once you hit that wall.

mdsfx

So I went to the running store per my doc's recommendation for a full analysis. Ugh.

I thought I was flat-footed all my life. One visit to the running store and it turns out that, after checking how my weight is actually distributed through my feet, I actually have high arches, which shows up when my feet strike the ground and flex inward. I ran in a new pair of proper shoes pain-free today. I couldn't freakin believe it.

I've been running in the wrong shoes for a year and a half.

TLDR:
Go to the running store before trying to self-prescribe the right running shoes. You're probably wrong.

Had leg ache this morning for the first time in forever. Doing splits was a good decision.

DOMS doesn't really mean much in terms of progression / effectiveness. I could give you a leg workout that would literally have you unable to walk the next day, but it wouldn't likely have more effect than any other workout.

BumRush

So I went to the running store per my doc's recommendation for a full analysis. Ugh.

I thought I was flat-footed all my life. One visit to the running store and it turns out that, after checking how my weight is actually distributed through my feet, I actually have high arches, which shows up when my feet strike the ground and flex inward. I ran in a new pair of proper shoes pain-free today. I couldn't freakin believe it.

TLDR:
Go to the running store before trying to self-prescribe the right running shoes. You're probably wrong.

Haha yup. The folks at those stores are insane. You'll end up spending a little more but the shoes feel like clouds because they're tailored to your feet.

You're making me want to race again!

brawly

DOMS doesn't really mean much in terms of progression / effectiveness. I could give you a leg workout that would literally have you unable to walk the next day, but it wouldn't likely have more effect than any other workout.

I'm praising the split more than the ache. Just by doing three muscle groups (4 day split) instead of working on everything, I work on my legs twice as much now and haven't skipped it.

mdsfx

Haha yup. The folks at those stores are insane. You'll end up spending a little more but the shoes feel like clouds because they're tailored to your feet.

You're making me want to race again!

Yep, only one problem...

Anyone need some used running shoes? lol

Cooper

My work on chin/pull-up variants continues, now with introductory weighted pull-ups (neutral grip, +12.5 lbs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0NZZKxe2U

On a side note, I'm glad the posters here have a different mentality than the ones in the general OT "what annoys you in the gym?" thread. Apparently my outfit is completely inappropriate and I pissed everyone off with my 2-3 minute rest periods. :p

My work on chin/pull-up variants continues, now with introductory weighted pull-ups (neutral grip, +12.5 lbs).

On a side note, I'm glad the posters here have a different mentality than the ones in the general OT "what annoys you in the gym?" thread. Apparently my outfit is completely inappropriate and I pissed everyone off with my 2-3 minute rest periods. :p

lol is that 3015 second badass still there? He'd probably flip the hell out over my 3-5 min rest periods.

I always thought you were supposed to hang your weights from the front though? Nice pullups regardless.

nvm it was 15 seconds, sorry.

Cagey

Banned
Finished the yearly winter go-round with 5/3/1 and pushed my three lift total up above 1100 with an embarrassing low amount of that in the squat department. Now time to attack the accumulated pudge.

Anyone ever try German Volume Training? Plan to start it today. I need to follow a regular routine for once.

A friend ran this once, he said it produced decent results but mostly he talked about how absolutely dead he was at the end of the workout.

You are doing awesome.

That thread is a goldmine. Dudes who have never seen a woman before and are too manly to drop their 200 lb. deadlift.

sphinx

the piano man
Well as for my update after a month (minus 1 week on which I was sick)

I went up 1.5~2 kgs (around 3.5~4.5 pounds) which is what I was looking for.

I haven't been completely clean on my diet but I have definitely changed my lifestyle, I take a proper breakfast, I eat more and better/cleaner than before, today at the gym it showed that I am attaining size.

strength is kind of bad though, I am struggling with Pull-ups not sure if it's the grip or what. I write down weights and reps now so I'll probably improve there cause every time I go I either up the weight or the reps.

TLDR:
Ill do that next time I need a pair. Was it a chain? Or just a regular local running store.

mdsfx

Ugh, bunch of over sensitive asses in that "annoying shit at the gym" thread. Makes me even more glad I have my own gym.
Holy crap. That thread...

robert_downey_jr_rolling_eyes.jpg

Ill do that next time I need a pair. Was it a chain? Or just a regular local running store.

This was actually a chain (Road Runner Sports). Great for getting properly fitted, so long as you can put up with the overly peppy façade. It was seriously tiring.

They will also try to sell you on everything they make (insoles, socks, etc). Their insoles are actually much better feeling than Superfeet and they mold them from your feet, but they also cost twice as much. I ran in every insole they had, waiting to discover that theirs were bad, but they were actually the best.

It'll cost you, but it's totally worth it. $150 shoes + $80 custom insoles = :[

Look at it this way: the next time you can buy the shoes online, knowing what works for you.

Cooper

Whoa, you did those very slowly/controlled. Brutal! Nicely done

Thanks! I'm not actually trying to move slowly, that's just the rate that feels natural and well-controlled. Maybe I can pick up speed as I get stronger.

ShadowgeistX said:
I always thought you were supposed to hang your weights from the front though? Nice pullups regardless.

Could be, it's the gym's belt, so I didn't read any instructions and I have basically no experience using one. I just put it on the way that seemed most secure and obvious. Maybe it was wrong, though I doubt hanging from the front vs. back would change the physics of the setup that much.

Yeah, Mr. 15 seconds was the worst one there, but it was surprising how many people complained about 1+ minute rest periods. Ah well, fortunately the early morning crew at my gym is an easy group to get along with.

BumRush said:
Awesome work Coop. Nice controlled reps.

Thanks Bum.

Psychotext said:
Nice job. That's pretty much exactly how I do mine. Can't risk all this flailing around like a dead fish, so they have to be 100% controlled.

Same. If I feel my body swinging wildly or have to kip to complete a rep, the set's over for me. I'm no where near advanced enough to need "cheat" reps.

Matthew Gallant said:
You are doing awesome.

That thread is a goldmine. Dudes who have never seen a woman before and are too manly to drop their 200 lb. deadlift.

Thanks! So many people are annoyed by such petty stuff. sheesh

SeanR1221

monthly progress pic, not too much of a drastic change from the pic last month but little things here and there that I notice are popping out more. Hovering around 223-225.

yeah, I plan on hopping back on the strength train eventually, just want to go at it the best way possible

Goddam dude!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fucking hell. Nice one.

That's incredible

Holy shit...good for you!

It's always cool to see how younger someone looks when they lose weight.

Nice work!
Thanks Bros. I'm not done and have talked 2 cousins and my remaining brother into a diet challenge so I'm going to try to hit 200 before July4th. I'm 223 right now.

I actually want to get to around 190 and see where I'm at then.

SeanR1221

I was looking at old Facebook photos and forgot that my wife and I took a picture after Easter mass in the same spot. Damn I looked like a chubby baby face last year.

zxOvY7uh.jpg

bchamba

Hit 315 with high bar squats for a 4x4 and then an amrap that I got 6 on. That amrap ties my low bar max with that weight, and that was with less volume before. I'm excited to see how much my low bar has increased when I switch back to it next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom