• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

I think my rack is out for delivery to my brother's place, but I'm here at my new place watching the painters repaint the house.

Haven't hit the gym in a week now I think. Really feel off. Diet is keto but no idea calorie wise. Also only got 4 hours of sleep last night.

It's all good tho. I'll take all of it due to it being my own home.

BumRush

Just maintain focus Bish. A week is nothing. 2, 3, 4 weeks...thats when motivation levels start going down.

Holy shit that was quick. You can buy / move into houses in that sort of timescale in the US? Wow.

You can, but it's reeeeeeeaaaaallllllllly uncommon. At least here in NY.

Cindro

You guys and gals are the absolute best. I felt so defeated earlier - after looking into what you all were suggesting about the method being horribly inaccurate, I feel ten times better.

I was going to binge on pizza and beer tonight too (because of my "what's the point?" mindset), but instead I had a turkey burger on low carb bread.

Choo choo, the train keeps a rollin'!

BumRush

You guys and gals are the absolute best. I felt so defeated earlier - after looking into what you all were suggesting about the method being horribly inaccurate, I feel ten times better.

I was going to binge on pizza and beer tonight too (because of my "what's the point?" mindset), but instead I had a turkey burger on low carb bread.

Choo choo, the train keeps a rollin'!

Glad to help bud. I really wish people wouldn't use those.

Yeah, you just keep trucking on. If your weight goes down, or your waist gets a bit smaller, or your biceps get a bit bigger, or you lift a little more, or you run just that bit further, or you feel just that bit less breathless after working out, or you look just that bit better in the mirror...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh man my FitGaf peeps... I haven't had a 365x4x8 DL day in months and it damn near killed me.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just back from a couple vacations and a rough week at work. Sneaking in a gym session tonight felt so good.

Power cleans - 120lbs 1x5, 135x5, 150x5
Clean pulls - 175lbs 5x3
Hang cleans - 110lbs 5x3

easter weekend turned into easter week

only went to the gym one time this week

so fat and working late at work, it is okay tho, April 1st. New beginnings, etc.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Not enough junk in the trunk. :(

Have been doing that for the last year. Ass to grass, 5 reps, zero ass effect. lol

Atleast you can fit your ass into a pair of jeans or pants..

I have to wear size 38 waist to get jeans around my ass and thighs, and it's very tight around my ass.. 40" would be ideal but is too loose around the waist. I have to buy stretch style jeans with some spandex or wear track pants. I'm only 5'9 ~200lbs right now with a 36" waist. At 215lbs it was even worse :(

despire

Did a 24hr fast yesterday. First one in a long time and went by without a hitch. First I was busy at work and then spend most of the night at a pistol range so didn't have time to think about food and didn't get hungry. Best to keep yourself occupied :)

Easy way to get rid of that Easter bloat.

Atleast you can fit your ass into a pair of jeans or pants..

I have to wear size 38 waist to get jeans around my ass and thighs, and it's very tight around my ass.. 40" would be ideal but is too loose around the waist. I have to buy stretch style jeans with some spandex or wear track pants. I'm only 5'9 ~200lbs right now with a 36" waist. At 215lbs it was even worse :(

My ass... sure, but the problem is that my thighs are huge (for my body size anyway), which makes my ass look even smaller. lol

Unrelated, lost another half a lb yesterday. Really not sure what's going on with my body at the moment.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Did a 24hr fast yesterday. First one in a long time and went by without a hitch. First I was busy at work and then spend most of the night at a pistol range so didn't have time to think about food and didn't get hungry. Best to keep yourself occupied :)

Easy way to get rid of that Easter bloat.
I should have done this when I was in CA basking in all the food of my people. I'm basically correcting it now as I'm back on my routine but I could have avoided a couple pounds of fat with a good fast.

I skipped abs all week. Super run down from work but I still progressed in a few lifts, primarily back and shoulders. Go in strong but right at the end of every workout this week I just get burned. I'm running on fumes. All week has been about 4 hours of sleep every night so that sucks. Trying to get geometry finished for another level in our game by tonight but the day job has been slaying me. Going to need to play some catch-up this weekend but I'm moving furniture and tearing out carpet in 3 bedrooms this weekend so that will surely be fun!

Afrocious

In answer to your earlier question... sadly there isn't a correct answer. The most common answer you'll get is shoulder width, but some people go wider, some go more narrow.

There's a huge video on squatting in general that was linked to me yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fkhcYDBWE

...and I like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
...and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEvboNh50ds

The second link you posted is straight awesome. Haven't gotten a chance to see the last one.

I think I'll bring my squats down to 180-185 in order to focus (again) on form. I've never used a narrow grip before.

BumRush

The second link you posted is straight awesome. Haven't gotten a chance to see the last one.

I think I'll bring my squats down to 180-185 in order to focus (again) on form. I've never used a narrow grip before.

With every exercise, form is king...but ESPECIALLY squats. I highly suggest videoing yourself doing them. Countless times I've thought I was ass to grass only to watch the video and see I barely got parallel.

Chocobro

Completely unrelated to anything... did anyone ever get their sample bars from Quest? It occurs to me that it's been months.

I didn't, however I contacted Quest about it and I got two bars within a week or two.

Chocolate chip cookie dough was better than the cookies and cream, hopefully I get to try more in the future.

Oh an update on my preworkout pops. I forgot to post about em. The creatine did sink as I suspecred. I have tried a new method of laying them on their sides and while that does spread it out, it does so on a single side. I may try an all-day build where I turn the pops 90 degrees every hour. But that seems like a lot of work.

Otherwise, they taste fine :D

ILoveBish

Holy shit that was quick. You can buy / move into houses in that sort of timescale in the US? Wow.

Escrow was around 4 weeks, got the keys 3 days later. It hasn't even been a week yet but I have the locks changed, every hole in the house filled, and the entire interior and garage painted new colors. Next up is running Ethernet to every room, putting the door locks and plate covers back on everything, old wood removal and lots more. We're going to move in to a done house.

Just maintain focus Bish. A week is nothing. 2, 3, 4 weeks...thats when motivation levels start going down

Yah I'm going to go today to deadlift. I still have my gym pass.

Szu

Holy guacamole, I've been introduced to the burrito bowls at Whole Foods.

The bowls are bigger, tastier, and cheaper than Chipotle.

I've got my new go-to lunch now. Ironically, there's also a Chipotle across the street from the Whole Foods.

BumRush

I've got my new go-to lunch now. Ironically, there's also a Chipotle across the street from the Whole Foods.

Is it healthier than chipotle?

The Chef

Sup FitGaf. Man, been sooo long since I posted in here.
Last year I trained harder than I ever have before. Tracked damn near everything I ate and lifted like a insatiable animal. By last summer I had definitely reached my peak and was, personally very happy with the results...Pic 1 Pic 2 but by last fall I lost nearly all motivation to lift. It was so strange. Its like I reflected back on the previous year and just felt exhausted from it and didn't want to get into it again. I probably didn't lift for 6 weeks which for me was nearing a record.

But now, the weather is getting better. The sun is out and my motivation is slowly creeping back. Hope to get motivation from the rest of you animals here. You guys are non-stop and its incredibly impressive. Keep it up.

wait. cheaper than chipotle? thought everything at Whole Foods was expensive lol

theytookourjobz

Sup FitGaf. Man, been sooo long since I posted in here.
Last year I trained harder than I ever have before. Tracked damn near everything I ate and lifted like a insatiable animal. By last summer I had definitely reached my peak and was, personally very happy with the results...Pic 1 Pic 2 but by last fall I lost nearly all motivation to lift. It was so strange. Its like I reflected back on the previous year and just felt exhausted from it and didn't want to get into it again. I probably didn't lift for 6 weeks which for me was nearing a record.

But now, the weather is getting better. The sun is out and my motivation is slowly creeping back. Hope to get motivation from the rest of you animals here. You guys are non-stop and its incredibly impressive. Keep it up.

There is never a peak! Lifting is an unscalable mountain! Now get your ass in the gym and climb!

Here's my training for the week. Cutting all cardio and CrossFit for a few months to push the lifts. Video is 2 clean pull + 2 clean + 2 front squat at 240, 1x10 back squat at 270, and 1x5 deads at 415.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ZpzqaXEnY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom