• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Cutting. Down from high of 203 to 192 this morning.

how much intense running am I allowed to every day. and what do you guys think of doing abs everyday?

velociraptor

Did my second session of 5/3/1 today and I have to say I'm really liking it so far. Shoulder felt a bit better today so I risked a few joker sets after my main working sets.

Quick question on that, is failure OK on your final joker set or should you only be going for joker sets that you're absolutely sure you can hit? First two joker sets went fine, but I could only get two out of the three reps on the final one.

1st set last felt pretty good afterwards though. Got a ton of reps on that one.

What are joker sets?

despire

Did my second session of 5/3/1 today and I have to say I'm really liking it so far. Shoulder felt a bit better today so I risked a few joker sets after my main working sets.

Quick question on that, is failure OK on your final joker set or should you only be going for joker sets that you're absolutely sure you can hit? First two joker sets went fine, but I could only get two out of the three reps on the final one.

1st set last felt pretty good afterwards though. Got a ton of reps on that one.

I think Wendler says not to go to failure on the Jokers (or any other set).

Vol5

I sound like a huge embarrassment with this but looking for some advice. Was out a week or so ago with work drinking. My boss decides he wants me to arm wrestle one of the contractors we have working for us. So I do, and of course, I win :). Next morning I wake up on my right wrist up to the elbow is aching really bad.....and continues to ache now. I did hit the gym mid-week and it was a great session, but my wrist really suffered and ached bad up to the point where it's painful. I have full use of it and my strength is still there, but I don't know what I might have ripped or pulled. Any advice to help with recovery? Assuming the gym is a no-go until it's fully healed.

BumRush

I sound like a huge embarrassment with this but looking for some advice. Was out a week or so ago with work drinking. My boss decides he wants me to arm wrestle one of the contractors we have working for us. So I do, and of course, I win :). Next morning I wake up on my right wrist up to the elbow is aching really bad.....and continues to ache now. I did hit the gym mid-week and it was a great session, but my wrist really suffered and ached bad up to the point where it's painful. I have full use of it and my strength is still there, but I don't know what I might have ripped or pulled. Any advice to help with recovery? Assuming the gym is a no-go until it's fully healed.

Dude, definitely see a doctor if it's still hurting.

Kevyt

So I decided to cut down carbs significantly and replace the rest of my calorie needs with fat (olive oil, coconut oil and avocados).

I did all my calculations and my calories and protein needs are being met for the amount of physical exercise I do during a week.

However, I went from 270+ grams of carbs to less than 120 grams of carbs a day.

This is my first week and it's making me feel extremely hungry. Usually during the night I feel super hungry and that in turn it keeps me awake. I'm averaging about 3-4 hours of sleep. This has me extremely tired and sleepy during the day.

I'm starting to think that maybe a low carb diet isn't a good idea for me, but I was also hoping this is something that will go away as my body adapts to this new way of eating.

Did anyone else experience something similar? Am I doing something wrong?

Reading how some do less than 100 grams of carbs a day has me amazed, truth be told.

despire

So I decided to cut down carbs significantly and replace the rest of my calorie needs with fat (olive oil, coconut oil and avocados).

I did all my calculations and my calories and protein needs are being met for the amount of physical exercise I do during a week.

This is my first week and it's making me feel extremely hungry. Usually during the night I feel super hungry and that in turn it keeps me awake. I'm averaging about 3-4 hours of sleep. This has me extremely tired and sleepy during the day.

I'm starting to think that maybe a low carb diet isn't a good idea for me, but I was also hoping this is something that will go away as my body adapts to this new way of eating.

Reading how some do less than 100 grams of carbs a day has me amazed, truth be told.

Then why not just stick with high-ish carb like you did. It's not like low carb/high fat is gonna make you lose fat if your calories are still exactly the same..

Kevyt

Then why not just stick with high-ish carb like you did. It's not like low carb/high fat is gonna make you lose fat if your calories are still exactly the same..

Because I'm not exactly trying to lose weight.

Also, I'm not eating the same amount of calories as before

Edit: eh, lol, reread what you said.

I was told carbs are the devil and should avoid them (like grains, etc).

Faiz

I forgot to post my weigh in.

165 even.

I was shooting for sub 165, so that's a little disheartening but can't be too disappointed. I've been fighting stress eating urges pretty hard lately. I likely will not make 150 by the end of the set period but I'll just have to be satisfied with wherever I end up (June 6). I may lose a little more water weight cycling off creatine the last month too tho...

The Chef

Well you know your doing deads with piss poor form when your lower back is more sore than your hams 😁
That's what I get for not doing DLs for 3 months.

Red

Has anyone installed a mounted pull up or dip bar at home? I have a small home gym but I'm missing those two things and I'd love to have them, but I'm wondering if they are safe to install on concrete or if I should find a standalone dip set and mount the pull up bar maybe to a joist rafter. I've been doing pull ups on the the beam between my lally columns but that's uncomfortable, and the beam is actually starting to crack on one end and though it's probably got nothing to do with me pulling on it I'm not entirely comfortable using it for exercise. Any recommendations for compact solutions?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I forgot to post my weigh in.

165 even.

I was shooting for sub 165, so that's a little disheartening but can't be too disappointed. I've been fighting stress eating urges pretty hard lately. I likely will not make 150 by the end of the set period but I'll just have to be satisfied with wherever I end up (June 6). I may lose a little more water weight cycling off creatine the last month too tho...
Pending your diet and metabolism, I'd say it's doable but you're talking about someone who outweighs you by 60~lbs and is likely taller than you. My plan is to hit 200 by July 4th and last I weighed I was 223. I should also note it was fully clothed. I got into that habbit as my one go to scale is at a local grocery store and I do subtract a pound or two for clothes.

Faiz

Has anyone installed a mounted pull up or dip bar at home? I have a small home gym but I'm missing those two things and I'd love to have them, but I'm wondering if they are safe to install on concrete or if I should find a standalone dip set and mount the pull up bar maybe to a joist rafter. I've been doing pull ups on the the beam between my lally columns but that's uncomfortable, and the beam is actually starting to crack on one end and though it's probably got nothing to do with me pulling on it I'm not entirely comfortable using it for exercise. Any recommendations for compact solutions?

Most of the time people lag bolt a board to concrete and then install the pull up bar onto the board. But I've seen people mess it up because they thought they knew what they were doing.

If you can find a free standing pull up/dip stand combo station in your budget that would be the easiest, least mistake prone solution. They are pretty common.

Red

Most of the time people lag bolt a board to concrete and then install the pull up bar onto the board. But I've seen people mess it up because they thought they knew what they were doing.

If you can find a free standing pull up/dip stand combo station in your budget that would be the easiest, least mistake prone solution. They are pretty common.
I've thought about that, but while plain old dip stands are pretty compact and sometimes even foldable, combo stations take up a lot of space. I'd like to keep things as clutter-free as possible.

Ixian

Why are you getting your fats from oils rather than actual fatty foods (ignoring the avocado)?

Chocobro

See if massaging the muscles in the forearm and maybe stretching the bicep/tricep helps. If it still persists, I would go see a doctor.

I also went from high-carb to low-carb (~50-75g net carbs) for work purposes last year. It usually takes some time for the body to adapt. I never lost sleep because of the change though; never felt hungry when I went to bed. Maybe move your last meal a bit later so when you do sleep, you don't feel hungry. I usually ate at 6-7pm and went to bed at 10pm.

Kevyt

Why are you getting your fats from oils rather than actual fatty foods (ignoring the avocado)?

I'm trying to avoid animal fats, which I'm not sure if it's a good thing. I also eat peanut butter, peanuts (unsalted), almond butter (which is like peanut butter made of almonds) and almonds.

I think I need to eat more fat, and the fact that I just cut about 150 grams of carbs means that my body will take some time getting used to.

This morning I just had six egg whites scrambled with my kale and spinach in coconut oil along with some greek yogurt and a tea spoon of peanuts, and two litters of water. This keeps me full for now, but being so used to eating carb heavy meals, it's quite the struggle in the first few days.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So many truth bombs on the last page. I love Cooter's name, made me smile. It's somehow fitting.

Taking Brolic's advice to heart though. Will try it out next time I'm doing deads.

Ha As long as you're smiling it's all good. :)

If Cooter ever got a username change it should absolutely be TheWall.
lol Can't say I've never been called that. A lot of people call me Wall or Wally.

sphinx

the piano man
That sounds about right.

I'll just leave this here...

the most amazing thing is how you don't let life get in the way.

how is that possible? like, what if your family says "he's let's go out for the weekend and spend 3 days somewhere else" or you go to a wedding or...forgot to buy something.. anything! lol

not missing a gym session that long is really quite the achievement. Respect.

Ixian

I'm trying to avoid animal fats, which I'm not sure if it's a good thing. I also eat peanut butter, peanuts (unsalted), almond butter (which is like peanut butter made of almonds) and almonds.

I think I need to eat more fat, and the fact that I just cut about 150 grams of carbs means that my body will take some time getting used to.

This morning I just had six egg whites scrambled with my kale and spinach in coconut oil along with some greek yogurt and a tea spoon of peanuts, and two litters of water. This keeps me full for now, but being so used to eating carb heavy meals, it's quite the struggle in the first few days.
As Chocobro said, there's definitely an adaption period for some people when it comes to low carb diets, but I think relying on non-foods probably had some effect too. Part of the reason low carb diets work is because they're so filling, but I imagine some of that is lost when you're not breaking down actual food.

mdsfx

Am I doing this right? #GAINZ?

DIVuYtw.png

Kevyt

As Chocobro said, there's definitely an adaption period for some people when it comes to low carb diets, but I think relying on non-foods probably had some effect too. Part of the reason low carb diets work is because they're so filling, but I imagine some of that is lost when you're not breaking down actual food.

I don't feel full after eating. I think I'm a special case where I could eat all day and still not feel satiated.

Heck, I can eat two 12" medium pizzas in one sitting and still have stomach for like dessert, lol.

So yes, it's going to take some time but I'm confident.

My end goal is to lower body fat, currently at 17% last I checked, and I was horrified.

I was at 11.3% in October/November of last year.

I was just reckless with my diet come the holidays. I managed to gain more muscle which I was happy about, but I want put on more lean muscle while lowering body fat percentage.

Faiz

Pending your diet and metabolism, I'd say it's doable but you're talking about someone who outweighs you by 60~lbs and is likely taller than you. My plan is to hit 200 by July 4th and last I weighed I was 223. I should also note it was fully clothed. I got into that habbit as my one go to scale is at a local grocery store and I do subtract a pound or two for clothes.

Yeah, my last weight loss period last year I did about 1.5 lbs a week but it was definitely slowing down by the end, so I switched to maintenance for a while. Meant to only go 2 months but ended up being about 4. Was hoping it would go faster when I started again but it's been around 1 lb per week overall. Not really willing to cut calories much more, so I'm just gonna have to be satisfied with where I end up. After that gonna do a couple more months of maintenance/recomp before getting back on a slow mass gain program for a couple years.

Am I doing this right? #GAINZ?

Donut gainz are best gainz.

better if not dunkin tho!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haven't done 10 singles at 90% on deadlift for a long time. Sore as hell today. I forgot how bad ISSM is as far as training DL goes.

New log is shipping next week. Some may have seen it on Facebook. I'll edit this post to show it. 210lb empty 12" diameter, 7'3" long custom paint job.

12670744_873958519399005_3479543633152787281_n.jpg

BumRush

Haven't done 10 singles at 90% on deadlift for a long time. Sore as hell today. I forgot how bad ISSM is as far as training DL goes.

New log is shipping next week. Some may have seen it on Facebook. I'll edit this post to show it. 210lb empty 12" diameter, 7'3" long custom paint job.

12670744_873958519399005_3479543633152787281_n.jpg

Holy shit that looks awesome. Any significance to green and yellow?

Cooter

the most amazing thing is how you don't let life get in the way.

how is that possible? like, what if your family says "he's let's go out for the weekend and spend 3 days somewhere else" or you go to a wedding or...forgot to buy something.. anything! lol

not missing a gym session that long is really quite the achievement. Respect.
Thanks but I was blessed with a lot of stability that summer that many aren't fortune enough to have. Once I hit 1 month it was a "how long can I go" thing.

Afrocious

Thanks to those videos posted earlier, I decided to knock my current squat progress down from 230 to 185 to get my form right. I think today I did the cleanest squats I've ever done. However I feel I lean forward a bit too much. Dunno if it's my height or what.

Next week, I'll see about posting a video so you folks can help me further if you're up to it.

No Love

Banned
New tidbit I've just learned from training I thought I'd share regarding deadlift.

If you bend over (hinge back) to set up and pull the slack out (even before you pull it out) and you don't feel your hamstrings stretch, you're not close enough to the bar and won't load properly.

I'd ask people to try this and tell me what happens to their dead.

You talking closeness in terms of torso distance ---> bar?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Thanks to those videos posted earlier, I decided to knock my current squat progress down from 230 to 185 to get my form right. I think today I did the cleanest squats I've ever done. However I feel I lean forward a bit too much. Dunno if it's my height or what.

Next week, I'll see about posting a video so you folks can help me further if you're up to it.

Humbling isn't it? I went through the same thing last year. It'll pay off.

No Love

Banned
Lol.

Shins to bar. But this is all dependant in properly pulling the slack out of the bar too which most do not do.

I always have my shins up against the bar and the bar in the middle of my foot once I've gotten down into position with my lats pulled back as I grip the bar. What portion does the slack occur at?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Damn. Bench felt smooth af after my week+ layoff but still missed my rep target. Shoulder seems to be healing a bit though.

Bench - 160x3, 180x3, 200x2
Db bench (paused) - 55s 1x4, 45s 2x10, 1x9, 40s 1x7, 35s 1x10
Bent over row db - 80s 5x10

My arms are still shaking. Down to 183.5 BW.

New tidbit I've just learned from training I thought I'd share regarding deadlift.

If you bend over (hinge back) to set up and pull the slack out (even before you pull it out) and you don't feel your hamstrings stretch, you're not close enough to the bar and won't load properly.

I'd ask people to try this and tell me what happens to their dead.

Nice, thanks for the tip. Will try on Monday.

I've been dreading this squat day tonight. Can't lose that booty though.

Lol, I know that feeling. Feels so good afterwards though. I did them earlier today and then cycled a few miles, my inner thighs and ass are gonna be so tender tomorrow. I've been slacking on leg days for the past couple weeks so I had to go in.

Mobius 1

Quick help...\

Does sparkling water (San Pelegrino, etc. Non flavored, non sweetened) have a detrimental effect? All they have is carbonation.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks but I was blessed with a lot of stability that summer that many aren't fortune enough to have. Once I hit 1 month it was a "how long can I go" thing.

yeah, having the stability is definitely hard, not matter whether you have family or are single and you made the best out of it. I am staying consistent at least two more months then it's chaos.

I have some recitals and it's too hot here in Germany in June/July, so I'll probably go do a lot more cardio than I am currently doing, which.. I definitely should if I continue bulking! I've gotten quite chunky :O

Since it's been a while since I posted progress stuff, I'll put this. It counts as an "all-time" before-after and I am dressed, but the idea was to get some motivation out of it and see where I am now.

beforeafter20122016_zpsoxvst8pq.jpg

I think I look ok on the right but here it definitely shows that I've put on weight! then again.... I get another pic some seconds later and look okish again...all "new" pics, taken minutes apart...

thing is, I have my cheat meals every now and then but I am definitely eating basically clean so finally managed to find the right amount calories to gain weight.

eh, I am enjoying lifting a lot more with all the food so I am going to go with the flow... and proceed to up my cardio.

Cooter

yeah, having the stability is definitely hard, not matter whether you have family or are single and you made the best out of it. I am staying consistent at least two more months then it's chaos.

I have some recitals and it's too hot here in Germany in June/July, so I'll probably go do a lot more cardio than I am currently doing, which.. I definitely should if I continue bulking! I've gotten quite chunky :O

Since it's been a while since I posted progress stuff, I'll put this. It counts as an "all-time" before-after and I am dressed, but the idea was to get some motivation out of it and see where I am now.

beforeafter20122016_zpsoxvst8pq.jpg

I think I look ok on the right but here it definitely shows that I've put on weight! then again.... I get another pic some seconds later and look okish again...all "new" pics, taken minutes apart...

thing is, I have my cheat meals every now and then but I am definitely eating basically clean so finally managed to find the right amount calories to gain weight.

eh, I am enjoying lifting a lot more with all the food so I am going to go with the flow... and proceed to up my cardio.
Looking good Mr. Piano Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom