• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Sup FitGaf. Man, been sooo long since I posted in here.
Last year I trained harder than I ever have before. Tracked damn near everything I ate and lifted like a insatiable animal. By last summer I had definitely reached my peak and was, personally very happy with the results...Pic 1 Pic 2 but by last fall I lost nearly all motivation to lift. It was so strange. Its like I reflected back on the previous year and just felt exhausted from it and didn't want to get into it again. I probably didn't lift for 6 weeks which for me was nearing a record.

But now, the weather is getting better. The sun is out and my motivation is slowly creeping back. Hope to get motivation from the rest of you animals here. You guys are non-stop and its incredibly impressive. Keep it up.

Dude, it happens to me all the time. I have a wife and a kid and every once in a while I'll skip a week...which turns to 2 or 3. I find that it's all cyclical. Just get back on the horse (you look great in those pics...nice work)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The most days I've missed in a row the past three years is three. Probably would benefit from an extended break but whatever. I tend to overdo eveything I commit to.

The Chef

There is never a peak! Lifting is an unscalable mountain! Now get your ass in the gym and climb!

Dude, it happens to me all the time. I have a wife and a kid and every once in a while I'll skip a week...which turns to 2 or 3. I find that it's all cyclical. Just get back on the horse (you look great in those pics...nice work)

lol thanks guys! I definitely need all the motivation I can get right now.
I've spent so long doing higher reps it would be pretty fun to mix it up a bit and try focusing on strength training for the next few months. Anything to keep it interesting at this point.

Faith

img-20160401-wa0087ouuz7.jpg
Depth legit? :p

I'm still working on getting even deeper. That would be cool:

Kendrick-Farris-front-squat.jpg

Szu

wait. cheaper than chipotle? thought everything at Whole Foods was expensive lol

For some reason, this item is very reasonable.

At my Whole Foods, they even have weekday lunch specials. For example, my weds lunch has been a half rotisserie chicken with sides for 5 bucks.

And all the free samples are kinda like appetizers.

Just tried a 1 rep max attempt at deadlift after doing 5 reps at my 5 rep max...

...that was a mistake. lol.

Nearly made it, but I would have had to hitch it up my legs, and that would have been bullshit.

So after first month results went from 208 to 194.4 (Although might of ruined that today with alot of sushi). Satisfied with that for the first month. Aiming for 186 by May 1st now and hopefully 175 is reachable by July. Feeling so much better and confident now days though!

velociraptor

going to the gym's in the evenings is such a terrible experience lol

overcrowded as hell, and everyone is hogging the equipment you would like to use.

i miss my home gym

Armadilo

Banned
Some questions I have...

Ok so I get bumps on my hands ( Calluses) after going to the gym , what do you guys do to prevent it?

Right now I just take a water bottle and use some electrolyte flavored Gatorade liquid stuff to drink while at the gym, What do you guys drink/buy ?

mdsfx

Some questions I have...

Ok so I get bumps on my hands ( Calluses) after going to the gym , what do you guys do to prevent it?

Right now I just take a water bottle and use some electrolyte flavored Gatorade liquid stuff to drink while at the gym, What do you guys drink/buy ?

I don't see a way to avoid calluses, especially with any pull exercises. I just lotion my hands if they get bad.

I prefer drinking just water when I work out. Anything flavored never quenches my thirst unless I drink a lot of it.

mdsfx

I really hope the shoes are enough for you to avoid any injury.

...and yeah, water. Maybe with a little bit of concentrate in it. But I workout fasted so I don't need any calories.

Thanks. My test run went really well. 2 weeks of no running and occasional ice made a huge difference. Here's hoping.

Beating last year's 39:00 shouldn't be a problem. 37:30 or faster would have me sitting pretty happy.

Some questions I have...

You can wear gloves but embrace the callous (y)

JCX

First week of German volume training done, hurts more than expected. Hope the strength games help me break through my plateaus.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
New tidbit I've just learned from training I thought I'd share regarding deadlift.

If you bend over (hinge back) to set up and pull the slack out (even before you pull it out) and you don't feel your hamstrings stretch, you're not close enough to the bar and won't load properly.

I'd ask people to try this and tell me what happens to their dead.

Thrall mentions something very similar in his Romanian deadlift / deadlift advice vid. Added about 25lbs to my deadlift. Would be a good chunk more if I could get my back tighter I reckon.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
New tidbit I've just learned from training I thought I'd share regarding deadlift.

If you bend over (hinge back) to set up and pull the slack out (even before you pull it out) and you don't feel your hamstrings stretch, you're not close enough to the bar and won't load properly.

More great advice. Thanks big guy.

BumRush

Thanks for the tip. Will try Monday.

SeanR1221

Will try tomorrow

Did my second session of 5/3/1 today and I have to say I'm really liking it so far. Shoulder felt a bit better today so I risked a few joker sets after my main working sets.

Quick question on that, is failure OK on your final joker set or should you only be going for joker sets that you're absolutely sure you can hit? First two joker sets went fine, but I could only get two out of the three reps on the final one.

1st set last felt pretty good afterwards though. Got a ton of reps on that one.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Well that was brutal. Heavily into strength decline on my squat during this cut now:

Squats - 205x3, 235x3, 265x1
Good Mornings - 115 5x10
Front squats - 125 2x10, 1x9

Almost was passing out towards the end and knee started to hurt. Can not wait to lose these 12 more pounds and rebulk.

So many truth bombs on the last page. I love Cooter's name, made me smile. It's somehow fitting.

Taking Brolic's advice to heart though. Will try it out next time I'm doing deads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom