• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I sound like a huge embarrassment with this but looking for some advice. Was out a week or so ago with work drinking. My boss decides he wants me to arm wrestle one of the contractors we have working for us. So I do, and of course, I win :). Next morning I wake up on my right wrist up to the elbow is aching really bad.....and continues to ache now. I did hit the gym mid-week and it was a great session, but my wrist really suffered and ached bad up to the point where it's painful. I have full use of it and my strength is still there, but I don't know what I might have ripped or pulled. Any advice to help with recovery? Assuming the gym is a no-go until it's fully healed.

You're most likely fine and just overexerted yourself, but this just reminds me that I NEVER arm wrestle. The risk to injure yourself is so stupidly high that it is never worth it, in my opinion.

Been out for a while, but what's up guys! Have started rock climbing as of two months ago, so that's been the majority of my workouts. Great sport!

mdsfx

Alright, my foot is feeling good (90%) and I'm super psyched for race #1 of this year tomorrow morning. Should be about 25°F so I'll be representing FitGAF with my bulge-exposing man-tights.

I'm going to be pushing hard for 20 seconds faster per mile than last year. Time for some rest!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright, my foot is feeling good (90%) and I'm super psyched for race #1 of this year tomorrow morning. Should be about 25°F so I'll be representing FitGAF with my bulge-exposing man-tights.

I'm going to be pushing hard for 20 seconds faster per mile than last year. Time for some rest!

Good luck bro.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sphinx, that's some impressive progress! Damn, you were thin before!

You're a pretty small guy, right? Looking beefy in that after pic!

Szu

I'll be representing FitGAF with my bulge-exposing man-tights.

giphy__3_.gif

SeanR1221

yeah, having the stability is definitely hard, not matter whether you have family or are single and you made the best out of it. I am staying consistent at least two more months then it's chaos.

I have some recitals and it's too hot here in Germany in June/July, so I'll probably go do a lot more cardio than I am currently doing, which.. I definitely should if I continue bulking! I've gotten quite chunky :O

Since it's been a while since I posted progress stuff, I'll put this. It counts as an "all-time" before-after and I am dressed, but the idea was to get some motivation out of it and see where I am now.

beforeafter20122016_zpsoxvst8pq.jpg

I think I look ok on the right but here it definitely shows that I've put on weight! then again.... I get another pic some seconds later and look okish again...all "new" pics, taken minutes apart...

thing is, I have my cheat meals every now and then but I am definitely eating basically clean so finally managed to find the right amount calories to gain weight.

eh, I am enjoying lifting a lot more with all the food so I am going to go with the flow... and proceed to up my cardio.

Looking good man!

mdsfx

Foot is a little achy, but seemingly fine. Thanks for the support guys. I'm really glad I listened and stayed off my foot for those two weeks.

Sorry for the lack of pics! Lol

Agraavan

After a 2 year hiatus, I intend to hit the gym once again but I need some help with the Beginner's program.

How should I warm up before the sets? Should the last set be AMRAP? How should I increase weight or, if the case may be, decrease (reset) them? I didn't quite get the following instruction:

For both programs once all sets are completed with no failed reps, add weight for the following workout (5lbs for press movements, 10lbs for lower body movements). When you start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row, reset the weight about 10% on that movement only and continue to add weight as before. If smaller weight jumps are desired or required, do so with 2.5lbs and 5lbs jumps for upper and lower body movements, respectively. When linear progress in weight from workout to workout is exhausted (3 full resets for each movement) consider an upper/lower split or an intermediate program.

eg:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5 (10lbs)
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 (10lbs)
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5 (10lbs)
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15 (10lbs)

In this case, if I complete all four exercises with no failure, should I increase the weight (5lbs or 10lbs) for the next monday workout or for the wednesday one?
The same way, when it says "start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row" it means mon/wed/fri or three mondays consecutively? In this case, if I start failing deadlifts, I should do it with 9lbs and restart from there, right?
Last, I didn't undertood much of the last sentence. What exactly does "linear progress" means and how should the workout exhaustion work?

• Height: 5'6" (1,72m)
  • Weight: 136lbs (62kg)
  • Goal: hipertrofy/mass gaining
  • Current Training Schedule: none
  • Comments: I'm an ectomorph/hardgainer

sphinx

the piano man
Congrats on your achivement Mdsfx!

I went running today too...but I run at a snail pace compared to you :p

Looking good Mr. Piano Man!

Sphinx, that's some impressive progress! Damn, you were thin before!

You're a pretty small guy, right? Looking beefy in that after pic!

Looking good man!

Thanks, very much appreciated..

well I am 5'5~5'6, it's standard in my homecountry Mexico but in here Germany I am a dwarf lol

but more than the height, the issue has always been my overall frame, very narrow, very skinny, with very thin arms. Attaing mass is an ordeal but I love to lift and I will continue pursuing goals one way or another.

I do think it keeps me young too! people are still telling me I look 28~30... when I am nearly 39

Faiz

After a 2 year hiatus, I intend to hit the gym once again but I need some help with the Beginner's program.

How should I warm up before the sets? Should the last set be AMRAP? How should I increase weight or, if the case may be, decrease (reset) them? I didn't quite get the following instruction:

eg:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5 (10lbs)
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 (10lbs)
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5 (10lbs)
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15 (10lbs)

In this case, if I complete all four exercises with no failure, should I increase the weight (5lbs or 10lbs) for the next monday workout or for the wednesday one?
The same way, when it says "start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row" it means mon/wed/fri or three mondays consecutively? In this case, if I start failing deadlifts, I should do it with 9lbs and restart from there, right?
Last, I didn't undertood much of the last sentence. What exactly does "linear progress" means and how should the workout exhaustion work?

Ok, I think one of the misconceptions to clarify right away is to understand the beginner programs you are citing are barbell programs. They can be adapted to Dumbbells if that's all you have available but as written, it's for using a barbell.

Standard powerbar and Olympic barbells (i.e. Those with two inch wide rotating collars on the ends to accommodate Olympic plates with two inch holes) are 45 lbs. The total weight you are doing for the movements is measured by the weight of the bar plus the weight of the plates you load onto it.

The best way to start the program (i.e. on week 1 day 1), IMO is as described in starting strength. Essentially:

For each movement, begin with just the bar. Do a set of 5 reps. If that was easy, add 10 lbs, do another 5 reps. Repeat that until you start to feel yourself going slower. Stop, whatever weight you did on the last set is your beginning weight for that movement. The next workout that you do that movement, add 5lbs for bench or overhead press, add 10 lbs for squats and deadlifts. Each time you work that movement and successfully complete three sets of 5, add the prescribed amount of weight the next time.

For example. The first time you bench is a Monday. You do sets of 5 beginning with 45 (i.e. just the bar) adding 10 lbs every set and by 85 lbs you feel yourself going slower moving the bar up. The next time you will be scheduled to bench will be Friday, and you will add 5 lbs, for a total of 90 lbs, 3 sets of 5, on Friday. The next time you will be scheduled to bench is Wednesday. If you completed the 3x5 on Friday, add 5lbs for a total of 100lbs on wednesday.

Adding the same amount of weight every time is linear progression.

As far as failing and resetting, you generally reset 10-20% back. If you failed a 150 lbs deadlift set, go back to 135 the next time you deadlift.

goober

Ok, I think one of the misconceptions to clarify right away is to understand the beginner programs you are citing are barbell programs. They can be adapted to Dumbbells if that's all you have available but as written, it's for using a barbell.

Standard powerbar and Olympic barbells (i.e. Those with two inch wide rotating collars on the ends to accommodate Olympic plates with two inch holes) are 45 lbs. The total weight you are doing for the movements is measured by the weight of the bar plus the weight of the plates you load onto it.

The best way to start the program (i.e. on week 1 day 1), IMO is as described in starting strength. Essentially:

For each movement, begin with just the bar. Do a set of 5 reps. If that was easy, add 10 lbs, do another 5 reps. Repeat that until you start to feel yourself going slower. Stop, whatever weight you did on the last set is your beginning weight for that movement. The next workout that you do that movement, add 5lbs for bench or overhead press, add 10 lbs for squats and deadlifts. Each time you work that movement and successfully complete three sets of 5, add the prescribed amount of weight the next time.

For example. The first time you bench is a Monday. You do sets of 5 beginning with 45 (i.e. just the bar) adding 10 lbs every set and by 85 lbs you feel yourself going slower moving the bar up. The next time you will be scheduled to bench will be Friday, and you will add 5 lbs, for a total of 90 lbs, 3 sets of 5, on Friday. The next time you will be scheduled to bench is Wednesday. If you completed the 3x5 on Friday, add 5lbs for a total of 100lbs on wednesday.

As far as failing and resetting, you generally reset 10-20% back. If you failed a 150 lbs deadlift set, go back to 135 the next time you deadlift.

Really helpful info, thanks.

I failed a set and I've been using the Stronglifts 5x5 app. It reset me back about 10-20% but it's going up in 2lb increments instead of 5lbs. Should I follow that or do 5lb increments?

Faiz

Really helpful info, thanks.

I failed a set and I've been using the Stronglifts 5x5 app. It reset me back about 10-20% but it's going up in 2lb increments instead of 5lbs. Should I follow that or do 5lb increments?

If you are having a hard time progressing on 5 lb increments on 5x5, I'd switch to 3x5 before I started using 1lb or fractional plates.

goober

If you are having a hard time progressing on 5 lb increments on 5x5, I'd switch to 3x5 before I started using 1lb or fractional plates.

I can do 3 sets of 5, I usually end up failing on the last rep of the last set. And the app says it'd let me know when I've stopped progressing to switch me to 3x5.

I'm conflicted.

Chocobro

I can do 3 sets of 5, I usually end up failing on the last rep of the last set. And the app says it'd let me know when I've stopped progressing to switch me to 3x5.

I'm conflicted.

Just follow whatever the Stronglifts app suggests. Have faith in the program you're following.

Going to completely skip legs for the first time ever in a workout. Knees / shins are still feeling really off and I'd like to give them a chance to heal before I do them real damage.

Feels freaky though, because between the cycling training and the weights they usually get worked 7 days a week.

Vaguely related, did a long climb on my bike yesterday that I've been using as a reasonable indicator of my fitness / progress. Reduced my best time on it from 29m 47s to 23m 02s. I'm now 172nd out of about 6,000 people on that particular climb (Strava) and my target over the next year is to hit sub twenty minutes, which would put me in the top 40.

KillerBEA

Barely had enough gas in the can to do my Monday morning workout, sheesh! The reps were unusually hard. Damn going short on sleep for Family functions.

Also ordered some thick grips to take with me to the gym. Fun times ahead!

I do weights 3 days a week, every session has legs in it. I do cycling training 4 days a week, obviously this works out legs (sometimes harder than squats if I'm doing low cadence force intervals).

Am I doing this right? #GAINZ?

LOL, same here bro, dat feel when 1/2 a dozen, fortunately these are like 2x the size of DD donuts so like 2x the calories:

VZDKnCB.jpg

CCCD Sugar Glazed
Double Chocolate Chip
Boston Creme
Maple Cinnamon Filled
Cinnamon Roll w/ Cream Cheese Filling on top
Chocolate Peanut Butter with Oreo toppings and PB drizzle

mdsfx

Snagged SFV in that $10 Amazon pricing error. Anyone play it? How is it?
Yep I have it. It's different, but I like it. It's tailored to shorter combos than SFIV, but in turn they also do more damage. They're obviously still discovering the system, so I'm sure you'll see lots of new tech popping up.

My feeling is that by dumbing down the system it relies a little more on basics/fundamentals, which I believe is a good thing.

The fuck? I lost 2.1kg yesterday (4.6lbs)... and I ate like a goddamn pig all day.

So I've gone from hitting my weight target to being a bunch under it again. Sigh.

Welp. Hand is right fucking painful today at work. Had to do some emergency repairs requiring a sledge over the weekend and whatever is wrong with my palm just got worse. Chest day today. Let's see how it goes later.

i was in the mood for mcdonalds yesterday after the gym. stopped by and got a quarter pounder sans cheese meal with a diet coke. it was delicious. no ragrets.

also. anyone want to try the Ramen burger from Red Robins? lol

Agraavan

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to be asking questions that may seen obvious, but I'm not quite grasping everything that is being said, either because I'm just dumb or because there is some kind of language barrier here (english is not my first language).

I do understand that I should be using barbells and I do intend to use them in the program, as I'm aware of the weight of the bar+plates.

If I got the idea, what you described is what I'm supposed to do on my first week to find out what will be my loadout. Start with the bar only, do one rep. Add 10 lbs (2 plates of 5lbs), do another rep. Repeat until going slower. This weight (let us say, 30lbs) is gonna be my beginning weight from now on (Monday). I should repeat that to all exercises I'm doing for the first time.

So if we are talking about Squat, on wednesday I'll be doing the same exercise with 40lbs. On Friday, 50lbs. And so on until I can't do all sets. When that happen, I should reset the weight 10~20% back.

I think I got that. Having said that, I still don't know how (or if I should, at all) warmup before each exercise or before the entire routine.

So, back to the squat example. My weight is now 60lbs (as I am on my fourth day). Before putting all the plates, should I do one rep with just the bar to warmup? And after that, should I jump straight to my weight limit?

Moreso, on my last set of squat, should I keep going until 'fatigue' (AMRAP) or stick to 5 repetitions no matter what? Like 5 repetitions (set one), 5 repetitions (set two), 5 repetitions (set three) or 5, 5, X (as many as I can)?

Again, sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm trying not to kill myself here :p
BTW, that's the program I'm talking about:
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom