• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I stand corrected. In my experience that's extremely unusual.

So you both have no goals at all aside from general health and fitness?

My "goals" depend on who's judging the 2016 hot body competition. If it's Mrs. MKenyon, I won't eat more than 100 calories a day from here on out. If it's Mrs. Brolic I'm eating everything in sight.

JK, no, I have no real goals as far as fitness is concerned. I have a lot of stuff going on in life (new house shopping, thinking about more kids, progressing in my new job, etc.) so I just make sure I eat right and workout regularly.

Hey guys. Just a short update. Cut is still going pretty strong. I'm officially down 10lbs in 6 weeks and haven't had any major strength loss (in fact my OHP and Bench have gone up). Standing at 204lbs right now. Hoping to be at 185ish by June.

Sean, just want to reiterate what I said in the other thread. Way to go man, your progress is inspiring. I'm also jealous of your beard, because I can not shave for 3 days an no one notices. I'll never be on your level.

mdsfx

Color me surprised. My goals:

400lb squat
30 pull-ups
6:30 running pace in any race
Run a full marathon
Compete in a triathlon
Ironman (one day...)

Don't really have aesthetic goals. If I can get a little shredded each summer that's always fun, but I would rather focus on improving physical limitations.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I stand corrected. In my experience that's extremely unusual.

So you both have no goals at all aside from general health and fitness?
Not really aside from the elusive 600lb DL at 180 I mentioned. I don't want anymore muscle and even if I did that may be difficult to attain naturally. My body is damn close to maxed out brother. I could soley focus on strength gains but then I would sacrifice a comfortable walking weight of 180 and I don't want that.

Like Bum said, I want to be healthy and be around for many more years to see my grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up. That's my long term-goal.

SeanR1221

Fit gaf is best gaf. You guys are awesome in that thread.

What a weird response from a lot of members. Even funnier that I see gaffers often post Reddit is a shit hole, yet the much larger Reddit thread on the progress picture is very positive in comparison

just keep eating and lifting you fuccbois

tumblr_o4zko5nPf61u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Figured I'd check in here and, yup, looks like a better place to be.

Still Sean, you deserve any extra props that you got in that thread. Inspiring, man.

Also, I hopped on a treadmill today and started doing C25K. I probably ought to be doing some form of cardio, and I guess running isn't TOO bad. The quest to 155 - 160 must be upheld.

Just getting back into working out after an almost 11 month forced hiatus. Been back at it for a month now, and since I pretty much worked out for 6 years without a break I am discovering muscle memory is an amazing thing. I don't look like I did a year ago, but I look a lot better than I did a month ago. For me the main issue is going to be diet, I have not been as strict as I used to be and my heart isn't in it yet, I'm assuming a few more months of lifting again and I'll get back to eating better.

One thing that is depressing is the total loss of strength, last year at this time I was deadlifting 405, I'm not going to attempt any 1RM for a while but slowly progressing on 5/3/1 again.

Just coming back here to monitor the thread for motivation

mdsfx

Did Sean make that thread as a FitGAF recruiting tool? If so, I think it's working lol

I feel like we'll see some new people around here once they realize they can post just about anything fitness related here, regardless of their fitness experience, and not have to take abuse like that.

Here's the best back burnout of my entire workout career. My back was hollering after this. I am not the biggest dude (6'2, 205) but this brought some pain the next morning.

10 wide-grip pull-ups
20 second rest
20 second rest
all the way to 1. I swear, it wasn't too bad while doing it, but the next day, man, my back was (thanking) scolding me.

Also, I don't post here much, but I lurk a lot. Sean, don't listen to what GAF says. You're a beast now and the guys just like to talk shit because the only thing they're dedicated to is shit-talking.

BumRush

Did Sean make that thread as a FitGAF recruiting tool? If so, I think it's working lol

I feel like we'll see some new people around here once they realize they can post just about anything fitness related here, regardless of their fitness experience, and not have to take abuse like that.

I have a feeling that to outsiders "FitGAF" is the WORST community on GAF (stereotypes and all that). When you actually come inside, we're easily the most welcoming and helpful group I've seen.

mdsfx

Here's the best back burnout of my entire workout career. My back was hollering after this. I am not the biggest dude (6'2, 205) but this brought some pain the next morning.

Ooooohhhh I love wide grip pull ups! That's become my default pull-up grip. I do 10 of them in-between each 5/3/1 set on bench days, unless I do then weighted then it's usually 5-7.

Faiz

My favorite criticism, is that his after picture is trying to look "angry man". I guess if looking downward with a beard is an angry look? I... Guess?

Ooooohhhh I love wide grip pull ups! That's become my default pull-up grip. I do 10 of them in-between each 5/3/1 set on bench days, unless I do then weighted then it's usually 5-7.

They're brutal. For some reason, I feel like I get more of a burn from weightless ones. Maybe because I usually keep it to 10-15 reps for weightless and 4-8 for weighted.

Ixian

That thread wasn't as bad as I expected; some people were a little weird in how they chose to express their opinions but eh.

Sean, I saw your high school pic that thread, out of curiosity how much did you weigh in that picture? I'm the same height and age as you, my all time highest weight is 230 pounds (of pure fat :p) around eight years ago. Have never gone above 200 again once I got below it, but I never really got to where I wanted to be either. Since I turn 30 this year and also because I want to look amazing next to my girlfriend at raves, I decided to finally fix shit. Currently 162.6 pounds, down from 179 at the start of the year. I think I have another 10-15 pounds to go but just playing it by ear as the weight comes off.

Shy Fingers

Banned
So, newby guy here looking for some advice.

I'm a runner, I enjoy it a lot. It's kind of a zen thing for me. Anyway, I just moved into a city and found myself going to a gym instead of running outside. Since I am already at the gym 4-5 times a week now, I'm looking to start strength training as well. So I have a couple questions.

My usual times I go I've noticed that the free weights are packed. The OP's listed starting places are all free weights. Can one get started on more of the machine like equipment, or should I forge the sea of people?

I see a lot of Planet Fitness hate around the internet. I've never really been given reasons why. Would it be ok for me as a starter, or am I missing something? $10 a month for a treadmill was all I was after originally.

SeanR1221

That thread wasn't as bad as I expected; some people were a little weird in how they chose to express their opinions but eh.

Sean, I saw your high school pic that thread, out of curiosity how much did you weigh in that picture? I'm the same height and age as you, my all time highest weight is 230 pounds (of pure fat :p) around eight years ago. Have never gone above 200 again once I got below it, but I never really got to where I wanted to be either. Since I turn 30 this year and also because I want to look amazing next to my girlfriend at raves, I decided to finally fix shit. Currently 162.6 pounds, down from 179 at the start of the year. I think I have another 10-15 pounds to go but just playing it by ear as the weight comes off.

Congrats on the weight loss!

In high school I was pushing 220

KillerBEA

I see a lot of Planet Fitness hate around the internet. I've never really been given reasons why. Would it be ok for me as a starter, or am I missing something? $10 a month for a treadmill was all I was after originally.

A lot of them ban Deadlifting
Weights don't go very high
No free weight barbells / Power Racks
Only Smith Machines and Machines
The Lunk Alarm
The term 'Lunk'
No dropping weights
No being too "big" or looking too "fit" as it intimidates people

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
my goal is to reach however much body fat% my body needs for me to have a visible 6 pack

or to look like this:

1v9MITw.jpg
10-12%

And I am 95% sure he didn't get that body naturally so make sure to keep your expectations in check.

my goal is to reach however much body fat% my body needs for me to have a visible 6 pack

or to look like this:

1v9MITw.jpg

Just takes some time...and maybe a cycle or two.
IMO, the biggest freak for these superhero movies is Henry Cavill and Hugh Jackman. Chris Evans is huge, but getting close to that is pretty doable in a few years, imo.
Cavill is just massive and Jackman is pushing 50.

Anth0ny

10-12%

And I am 95% sure he didn't get that body naturally so make sure to keep your expectations in check.

yeah 10-12% is the goal. I think I'm around 15% or 16% right now.

and of course it's not natural, or at the very least he's taking full advantage of a personal trainer/nutritionist and a job that allows him (hell, PAYS him) to go to the gym every day. I realize it's a lot easier to reach those goals that way :p

Nonetheless, it's the body I'm striving to attain. I see similarities between Evans build and my build already. It's the body fat I have to work on.

There's only one end to the journey, and that's death!

I can tell you that virtually none of the posters here ever manage to get to a point where they're 100% happy with where they're at. They'll always find room to improve. :)

Oh indeed. I've only been going for a month and a half at it so far and I'm already thinking about training for a triathlon for next year and some of those fancy obstacle races. It's a great feeling laying out what I want to do in the future of being fit.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I hear you guys. Still pisses me off tho. I guess internet + anonymity is a helluva drug.
One my friends says it happens to her all the time from friends and family on FB. Anytime she posts about her working out she gets comments on how her legs are too big or something ridiculous about working out too much.

BumRush

Look, it's as simple as this. Planet Fitness won't give you the workout / strength gains / etc. that a lifting gym will (nothing compares to free weight BB). With that being said, $10 a month is insanely cheap and it's better than not going to any gym. A lot of the hate it gets is due, but there is a lot you can do at PF to better your life, physique, health, etc.

Look, it's as simple as this. Planet Fitness won't give you the workout / strength gains / etc. that a lifting gym will (nothing compares to free weight BB). With that being said, $10 a month is insanely cheap and it's better than not going to any gym. A lot of the hate it gets is due, but there is a lot you can do at PF to better your life, physique, health, etc.

Perfectly said.

bryt

I've been slow bulking for the past year and a half and I've never cut before. Right now I'm lifting 6 days a week while doing no cardio and doing a PPL routine. If I wanted to start cutting should I drop down to lifting 3 days a week and do cardio on the off days?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sean, I remember a long time ago in some OT thread I called you fat, and we argued for a bit. I'm really proud of you man. I might still be like the others out there if it weren't for you guys. The biggest thing I see in the general population is a lack of understanding of just how insanely difficult it is to make visible changes to your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom