• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

You should try mixing fiber in with water. You won't taste it and it'll contain hunger a bit (plus it's good for you)
I find I can go long stretches without a meal but once I start eating, there is no stopping me. Sounds like a solid tip though. What do you use for fibre, psyllium husk?

Legit smooth, nice!

I can't put any weight on my ankles like you did there. They basically just give way.

Edit - Wooh, made it, but no-where near as pretty as you did. My missus made it look even easier than you did. Damnit. lol

BumRush

I find I can go long stretches without a meal but once I start eating, there is no stopping me. Sounds like a solid tip though. What do you use for fibre, psyllium husk?

My lunch for the last few months has been chili, lentil soup, barley stew, etc. It's my first meal* of the day and I want it to keep me full.

* I have a protein shake right before I lift.

Ixian

Ah, guess that makes sense. IF really does suppress hunger pans. Find working out fasted affects your performance at the gym?

I presume that's all one meal, because I could eat all of that at once tbh lol.
Greek yogurt is super helpful too since it's slow-digesting casein protein. I usually eat some nightly because my girlfriend and I eat the same thing and I need to make up the difference in protein and it keeps me filling full. On my workout days, I usually eat a greek yogurt + peanut butter protein powder + strawberry preserve sandwich and it's delightful for satiety. Definitely one of my favorite foods, especially mixed with some good protein powder and sometimes almonds for a little bit of crunch.
So after 3 months of Stronglifts and making good gains on my weights I've become too frustrated with trying to balance it with losing weight. I doubt I'm putting on that much weight in muscle but I always feel really dejected when I get on the scales and I haven't lost much after a particuarly healthy eating week.

Seeing as losing weight is my main goal (currently at 216, started at 232 but have a goal of around 175-180) I've decided to completely drop weights 3 times a week and run 3-5 miles those days instead.

Once I'm at my target weight I figure I can then worry about adding muscle as my secondary goal. As a guy who's always been chubby it means more to me to be slim than built.

Am I going about this the wrong way? I know weights do aid weight loss but I never feel like the scales reflect that (possibly due to increase in muscle mass) and seeing those pounds come off is what helps keep my drive in the kitchen on track.
As someone who's been fat for most of his life, don't do this. I know it's mentally pleasing to make the scale number down, but you don't want to get to what you should perceive to be your goal weight and be skinny fat and unhappy. Even if you're weight lifting you should be able to lose 1-1.5/pounds a week and you'll look way better for it. You also have to remember that weight loss isn't linear. I spent most of March at 170 and then dropped down to 162 over the span of a week. Water retention is real, you just need to keep grinding. You also have to be sure that you're actually eating at a deficit and that means calorie counting, weighing your food, etc.

Chocobro

Chocobro, I gave you a follow :)

Followed you back! Unfortunately, I don't post on IG; mostly use it to look at weightlifting posts. Maybe I'll post when I git gud at weightlifting haha.
With all of the exposure you've been getting, thinking about capitalizing on it? Get some free clothes or sponsorship :D

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Followed you back! Unfortunately, I don't post on IG; mostly use it to look at weightlifting posts. Maybe I'll post when I git gud at weightlifting haha.
With all of the exposure you've been getting, thinking about capitalizing on it? Get some free clothes or sponsorship :D

I'm thinking about starting up an Instagram, because apparently Instagram models are a thing that exists and can be girls that will go out with you. Doesn't really jive with my job, but should be fine if I keep it clean
i.e. separate from my NeoGAF account

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ah, guess that makes sense. IF really does suppress hunger pans. Find working out fasted affects your performance at the gym?

I presume that's all one meal, because I could eat all of that at once tbh lol.
I'm not lifting for gains but I don't notice any noticeable difference. I've hit some of my proudest lifts on an 18 hour plus fast including my 550 DL at 180.

Not quite all in 1 meal but spread out over about 4 hours.

BumRush

I'm not lifting for gains but I don't notice any noticeable difference. I've hit some of my proudest lifts on an 18 hour plus fast including my 550 DL at 180.

Not quite all in 1 meal but spread out over about 4 hours.

I agree. I feel mostly the same fasted vs. un-fasted. Eating a full meal 1-2 hours before lifting / HIIT actually makes me feel far worse.

Cooter

I agree. I feel mostly the same fasted vs. un-fasted. Eating a full meal 1-2 hours before lifting / HIIT actually makes me feel far worse.
Yup. For me sleep is the number 1 factor in regards to my intensity at the gym.

HawkeyeIC

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 245
Goal: 200
Current Training Schedule: See below
Current Training Equipment Available: Full Gym
Comments:

Planning to start working out again on Monday doing Strong Lifts 5x5. It's been a loooong time since I've done any physical activity other than long walks with the dog. Is that workout going to be too much for me? Or just jump in and deal with the pain?

GrapeApes

Need to better plan my meals around gym time. Had chili earlier today and DLs sucked hard. It was heavy singles too. Feeling bloated and slow. I got 475x6x1 but damn felt bad all the way. I figured I'd lift later in the day but the gym was calling to me.

The Chef

Thought Id share a video I stumbled upon trying to refine my deadlift form.
The one Brolic posted was definitely helpful, however for me I still couldn't quite understand how to really engage my hamstrings. Even trying to pull the slack out of the bar, i dunno, my brain just wasn't "clicking" with it.

After watching this video though I tried it out today and felt like I really had a revelation. Felt my hams REALLY engaging during the lift while my lower back remained neutral.
It was exactly the advice I needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA&list=PLibo-Z1-9Z6jPVfvHhy0vHSuKKb9LMjNZ

Cooter

Thought Id share a video I stumbled upon trying to refine my deadlift form.
The one Brolic posted was definitely helpful, however for me I still couldn't quite understand how to really engage my hamstrings. Even trying to pull the slack out of the bar, i dunno, my brain just wasn't "clicking" with it.

After watching this video though I tried it out today and felt like I really had a revelation. Felt my hams REALLY engaging during the lift while my lower back remained neutral.
It was exactly the advice I needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA&list=PLibo-Z1-9Z6jPVfvHhy0vHSuKKb9LMjNZ
That was great. I'm always confused by how much you should drop your butt/hips during setup. I see so much variation I don't have a clue if there is a standard or if it varies by individual body composition.

BumRush

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 245
Goal: 200
Current Training Schedule: See below
Current Training Equipment Available: Full Gym
Comments:

Planning to start working out again on Monday doing Strong Lifts 5x5. It's been a loooong time since I've done any physical activity other than long walks with the dog. Is that workout going to be too much for me? Or just jump in and deal with the pain?

Nope, you'll be fine (albeit sore). It's purposely designed to get beginners going. It's a great plan. One thing I never loved about it was only doing 1 DL set of 5. I think we had this discussion a while back...but yeah, I'd recommend doing 3X5 instead.

New log showed up. Took it for a spin. Still gonna DL later. This thing is beautiful.

http://youtu.be/BgV_f1fOUbk

Oh maaaan, now I want one.

Pretty salty right now, drank some Dr. Pepper that I thought was diet but it was a regular pop. Also had a gatorade at the gym today. So that's like 310 liquid calories.

Bleh.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That was great. I'm always confused by how much you should drop your butt/hips during setup. I see so much variation I don't have a clue if there is a standard or if it varies by individual body composition.

Getting all of the slack out of the bar properly solves this riddle for you.

Is it a good idea to start on the machine weight lifts?

I'm doing squats on em till I feel comfortable enough for free weights?

What's the main differnece between the two other than the machine helps you?

Edit: man this is a great thread btw, you guys are super knowledgable. I can't weight till I'm on that level.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I guess I'm good then. Does it vary by person?

And by bar. Once all the slack is out, that brief pause before you start the lift is the optimal hip height.

The reason hips shoot up s because they are finding the right position to pull due to poor setup. If they don't shoot up, you're in good position.

HawkeyeIC

Nope, you'll be fine (albeit sore). It's purposely designed to get beginners going. It's a great plan. One thing I never loved about it was only doing 1 DL set of 5. I think we had this discussion a while back...but yeah, I'd recommend doing 3X5 instead.

Perfect, thanks. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is it a good idea to start on the machine weight lifts?

I'm doing squats on em till I feel comfortable enough for free weights?

What's the main differnece between the two other than the machine helps you?

Edit: man this is a great thread btw, you guys are super knowledgable. I can't weight till I'm on that level.

Machines are great if you're injured, for accessories, or if you have no other choice. If you can, get started on a barbell. It sucks and is hard at first, but eventually you will be more proficient. Better to start now than later.

Barbell requires more control, engages more muscles and is more versatile than any piece of machinery. Plus if you decide to compete, everything is pretty much a barbell.
You're such a huge resource. Thanks. You even help insecure little fuck boys like me.

Lol, you're ridiculous.

The Chef

Getting all of the slack out of the bar properly solves this riddle for you.

Problem for me was I would pull the slack out of the bar, but I still wasn't quite understanding how to really engage my hamstrings.

By practicing doing a romanian dead lift I started with 135 and just went down really slowly, focusing on feeling the stretch in my hams and paying close attention for my lower back making sure it never started to round.
After doing 3 sets or RDL I felt like I kinda understood, so I jumped up to 225 and approached the lift the same way I did the previous RDLs. By doing this I knew my knees were bent to the proper degree and my hams were totally engaged.

It make it actually "click" with me finally where now I was like "Holy crap, THIS is how you do a dl" The remaining ones I did I just felt a lot of stretch and power in my legs and far far less pull from my back.

Machines are great if you're injured, for accessories, or if you have no other choice. If you can, get started on a barbell. It sucks and is hard at first, but eventually you will be more proficient. Better to start now than later.

Barbell requires more control, engages more muscles and is more versatile than any piece of machinery. Plus if you decide to compete, everything is pretty much a barbelL

Ok thanks! The only reason I don't wanna squat with free weights cause I feel like Ima drop the bar, so, I should lift less when I start out on free weights right?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Problem for me was I would pull the slack out of the bar, but I still wasn't quite understanding how to really engage my hamstrings.

By practicing doing a romanian dead lift I started with 135 and just went down really slowly, focusing on feeling the stretch in my hams and paying close attention for my lower back making sure it never started to round.
After doing 3 sets or RDL I felt like I kinda understood, so I jumped up to 225 and approached the lift the same way I did the previous RDLs. By doing this I knew my knees were bent to the proper degree and my hams were totally engaged.

It make it actually "click" with me finally where now I was like "Holy crap, THIS is how you do a dl" The remaining ones I did I just felt a lot of stretch and power in my legs and far far less pull from my back.

That would be improper loading. I'd still bet if you actually got all the slack out of the bar your hips still wouldn't shoot up though. I talked about this before I posted the "slack" video.

Ok thanks! The only reason I don't wanna squat with free weights cause I feel like Ima drop the bar, so, I should lift less when I start out on free weights right?

Absolutely. Also read the OP or any other resource you can. Start low and work up. Don't be in a hurry. It's a long haul kind of thing.

OT9: Cooter Brotocol, 12" logs and a bunch of insecure little fuck boys.

Lol

The Chef

That would be improper loading. I'd still bet if you actually got all the slack out of the bar your hips still wouldn't shoot up though. I talked about this before I posted the "slack" video.

I think now that I understand what it feels like to have my hams more engaged I'll give the slack method another shot for sure.
Im just super stoked to finally begin to understand these things at all. I've been doing them improperly for YEARS.

You should be squatting in a rack with repositionable safety bars.

Something like this:

q5WuvUO.jpg

Those black bars can go wherever they need to to be just under your squat depth, that way it's easy to bail out of a squat, you just sit down.

But don't be scared, your legs are stronger than you think and an empty barbell is lighter than you think.

Calderc

How long does it take y'all to increase weight on your accessory lifts? Was doing shoulders today and while I am increasing weight on OHP (which I guess is more important seeing as it's a compound lift) but I still can't up the weight for lateral or front raises afterwards.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How long does it take y'all to increase weight on your accessory lifts? Was doing shoulders today and while I am increasing weight on OHP (which I guess is more important seeing as it's a compound lift) but I still can't up the weight for lateral or front raises afterwards.

Don't worry about weight on those movements. I still do them with 10-15lbs. Accessories are more about reps, joint health, and balance.

Personally I never worry about "progress" on accessories as far as weight. I track it just for seeing what moves what sake, but it's not important.

Calderc

Don't worry about weight on those movements. I still do them with 10-15lbs. Accessories are more about reps, joint health, and balance.

Personally I never worry about "progress" on accessories as far as weight. I track it just for seeing what moves what sake, but it's not important.

Ah, ok, thanks! Feel a bit better about it now haha. I'll try adding a few reps on and see if I can work up from what I'm currently doing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ah, ok, thanks! Feel a bit better about it now haha. I'll try adding a few reps on and see if I can work up from what I'm currently doing.

Remember, it's more about how the muscle feels than weight on the bar for those. IMO accessories should be done with a bodybuilding type of planning.

Really, I didn't realized that's how those raises were supposed to work. Do you increase reps or sets or anything?

SeanR1221

Lol the little fuck boy post is so golden. I was cracking up.

And Brolic is right on the money with position. My hips stopped shooting up when I took his advice.

Teggy

TIL you can subscribe to quest bars on Amazon. I'll never run out again! (assuming I limit myself to one a day) They also have a dash button, believe it or not.

I looked at a picture of myself from last summer when I was 25+ lbs heavier. I was so fat. Gave me that extra push to keep going. I can do this, just another 10 lbs.

Annoyingly Amazon (UK) failed to deliver my last subscription of quest bars. I guess it forced me to eat some real food though, so not the end of the world.

Yeah, it can have stock issues the same as any other product. Annoying.

Unrelated, was just flicking through the "Sugar Conspiracy" thread, and couldn't help wondering to myself why we always need something to blame? There's no question that a lot of people have better diet adherence on low carb (for some very good scientifically based reasons), but I can't help wondering if we're going too far in the other direction now and demonising sugar in much the same way as we demonised fat. In ward studies (basically they feed you, you have no control over your intake) we've proven that there's no meaningful difference between high carb and low carb in terms of weight gain (controlling for TEF), but we're now convinced that if we make everything low sugar that we'll be ok.

Interestingly, this seems at odds with (UK based) statistics that I've seen recently that show sugar intake has dropped drastically since the 1980s (ask any 80s kid what we ate back then), whilst obesity rates have increased in leaps and bounds. It's an interesting one, but sadly there seems to be a bit too much passion on either side to have a good discussion on the subject.

Teggy

Yeah, it can have stock issues the same as any other product. Annoying.

Unrelated, was just flicking through the "Sugar Conspiracy" thread, and couldn't help wondering to myself why we always need something to blame? There's no question that a lot of people have better diet adherence on low carb (for some very good scientifically based reasons), but I can't help wondering if we're going too far in the other direction now and demonising sugar in much the same way as we demonised fat. In ward studies (basically they feed you, you have no control over your intake) we've proven that there's no meaningful difference between high carb and low carb in terms of weight gain (controlling for TEF), but we're now convinced that if we make everything low sugar that we'll be ok.

Interestingly, this seems at odds with (UK based) statistics that I've seen recently that show sugar intake has dropped drastically since the 1980s (ask any 80s kid what we ate back then), whilst obesity rates have increased in leaps and bounds. It's an interesting one, but sadly there seems to be a bit too much passion on either side to have a good discussion on the subject.

Well, I mean the reason I would buy into sugar being bad (and btw I love sugar and am not going to stop eating it) is that it is purely a human invention. Early humans got fat naturally through animal products, but didn't eat any processed sugar. The most they had was through fruit.

That said, in the end it's calories in calories out, and you can eat sugar just fine as long as you don't eat too much.

Bees might want a word with you on that one. ;)

But yeah, it's certainly fascinating that to make up for everything tasting of cardboard we added a bunch of sugar... but I think it's probably a little reductive to blame that alone for the issues we're having. My fear is that we're going to be so quick to go after sugar (hell, we're even seeing sugar taxes in some countries) that we stop looking further for solutions for another 20 years. We already know it's not that simple (see stats on sugar intake), but we really, really want it to be.

Teggy

Bees might want a word with you on that one. ;)

Well, there's a slight difference between the human and bee body. Just a smidge ;)

EDIT: oh, did you mean bees make sugar? Well they make honey, which is not the same as processed sugar, which along with corn syrup is actually what's in all of our food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom