• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

Do you guys think after a while, it's better to stop chasing pure strength gains and focus on endurance?

For example, on starting strength, they recommend 5 reps on squats so that's what I've been following.

I do 3 work sets at 275lbs right now. Would it be better to cut the weight to ~200-225 lbs and go for 10-12 reps instead?

What type of weird aas gym do you train at? How is a gym going to know if someone is juicing? This is like a step above Planet Fitness bullshit. Either way mind your own. If this guy isn't shooting up in front of you, who cares?

It's probably more that they don't want trafficking happening inside their gym.

entremet

Epic cheat day yesterday. I don't do those much and stick with cheat meals, but I had a lot of activity in so I said, "Why not?"

Two pieces of fried chicken, a huge biscuit with honey, and macaroni and cheese for lunch.

5 Guys Bacon Cheeseburger and Fries for Dinner.

It's probably more that they don't want trafficking happening inside their gym.

It says that the staff has been trained to see if an individual is on illegal meds. If they suspect someone is using it they will call the cops

Weird how this guy gets a pass. Arent huge delts a sign of roid use? Especially if the guy has scarring. Which means he grew too quickly

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Had an oh shit moment today at the gym while doing my squats. I was following the elitefts video and focusing on pushing my knees out when I heard my right knee pop, kinda like how when you crack your knuckles. My workout buddy got a bit worried but I still managed to finish my set without any problems. No pain or soreness so it probably isn't anything serious.

Zoe

PiYo must be the most misleading class name ever. I thought it would just be half Pilates/half yoga, but it's really a bunch of cardio using yoga moves (and maybe Pilates, I wouldn't know). I've seen many people over the last few weeks make the same mistake :lol

Took a chunk out of my back ankle trying to do a PiYo kick-through cause I got too ambitious today :(

J. Bravo

Who was it that said they had done a chew and spit with unhealthy food? Ah well I may have just done that this morning with some banana bread. I feel shameful. At first I said f*ck it and proceeded to eat it, but then changed my mind before I swallowed haha

Wtf have you guys done to me?! Good thing my wife didn't witness it...
Yeah that's stupid :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It says that the staff has been trained to see if an individual is on illegal meds. If they suspect someone is using it they will call the cops

Weird how this guy gets a pass. Arent huge delts a sign of roid use? Especially if the guy has scarring. Which means he grew too quickly

Call the cops? Are steroids illegal now?

I can understand not wanting steroids being used inside the gym, but who cares what they do on their own time, in their personal lives.

mdsfx

Anyone lifting on Father's Day? Lol I'm traveling back to ATL so I'll be missing out.
Hell no. Went to the beach, came home for a few drinks with my wife, watching a few shows, ordering dinner, etc.

I take one day off a week (Saturday or Sunday) and to me it's sacred. Keeps me from getting injured from overdoing it and it keeps me hungry to get back in the gym Monday!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hell no. Went to the beach, came home for a few drinks with my wife, watching a few shows, ordering dinner, etc.

I take one day off a week (Saturday or Sunday) and to me it's sacred. Keeps me from getting injured from overdoing it and it keeps me hungry to get back in the gym Monday!
There's no such thing as over training. Only under eating and under sleeping! ;)

mdsfx

There's no such thing as over training. Only under eating and under sleeping! ;)
Tell that to my IT band! I'm not saying I could possibly lift enough for it to be detrimental to my progress, but running paired with leg days are another story. Sh*t ain't easy!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Tell that to my IT band! I'm not saying I could possibly lift enough for it to be detrimental to my progress, but running paired with leg days are another story. Sh*t ain't easy!
It's the running. Shit destroys your body.

GrapeApes

What country are you in? This can't be America!

Navi

Doing that too. I lift chest and bis together. Never go back!

I might do that. My tris are weak. My arms are close (or was) close to 17inches. Took a few weeks off due to surgery.

I usually take 1-2 days off a week. Overtraining is fun though!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have experience with hernias?

Noticed a bulge near my top-left ab. It's noticeable when I suck my stomach in. But if I tense my core then the bulge goes away. If I'm tensing I can poke that spot and it just feels like a muscle. Still kind of worried, though.

Just came back from the urgent care about this issue. The doctor told me that she really doesn't think it's a hernia, just an asymmetric muscle. She felt around and pressed the lump, but she wasn't convinced.

I know my abdominal has always been a little asymmetric, but I think the deadlifts I did a couple days ago really made it more pronounced somehow. Something about the way it looked completely threw me off and had me worried. I was prodding that area all day long and this morning it was actually tender because I wouldn't leave it alone, so that made me think even more that it was a hernia or something.

tl;dr: I'm crazy.

Szu

Happy Father's Day to my fellow dads with their dad bods.

And to fellow FitGaf who are not dads with or without dad bods.

And to all fellow FitGaf since all of us are here partially because of our dads.

BumRush

Amazing day with the fam. Wife spoiled me big time. Still got in a serious lift and a one hour walk to the beach and back. Hope you all enjoyed.

Sadetar

Great, just great. I was pooped on today. Literally. Those damn birds.

I think the world is trying to say to me that I spend too much time outside in the nature and that I should actually spend more time in my natural and safe environment, inside, playing video games.

Its hard to accept body hair compliments lol, but thanks, i freaking hate the body hair. I trim/nair it every few months.
I need to add that it was more or less just an observasion rather than a compliment. You look good with or without the body hair (the only body hair that bothers me is my own so I just get rid of it). :p

Happy father's day to all you dads in this thread. Stay strong.

-------

Rough few days, rough week really. Just one of those times where I want to be myself, get strong and lean and do my own thing for a while. Emotions suck, blah blah blah. Currently consoling myself with Taco Bell and Baja Blast Mountain Dew.

BumRush

Happy father's day to all you dads in this thread. Stay strong.

-------

Rough few days, rough week really. Just one of those times where I want to be myself, get strong and lean and do my own thing for a while. Emotions suck, blah blah blah. Currently consoling myself with Taco Bell and Baja Blast Mountain Dew.

What'd you get from TB?

mdsfx

What'd you get from TB?
Haha bumrush is doing the same thing :)

I ate like a garbage truck today. Drank on top of that. This was kind of my plan though. Strict from December until June, then allow myself loose weekends throughout the summer so long as I don't overdo it.

I never thought I would ever get as cut as I am now since I've always been a bit skinny fat and had never seen my abs. Im enjoying every second of it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Haha bumrush is doing the same thing :)

I ate like a garbage truck today. Drank on top of that. This was kind of my plan though. Strict from December until June, then allow myself loose weekends throughout the summer so long as I don't overdo it.

I never thought I would ever get as cut as I am now since I've always been a bit skinny fat and had never seen my abs. Im enjoying every second of it.

Lucky, I'm going through my first cut now and while my gut has receded a great deal I miss eating my delicious foods T_T. I just know it will all be worth it when I can post douchy pictures of my abs.

BumRush

1x Grilled Stuffed Nacho
1x Nachos and Cheese
2x Beef Chalupa
1x Cheesy Gordita Crunch
1x Burrito Supreme
1x Mexican Pizza
1x Mountain Dew Baja Blast

I only asked because I had a feeling it was going to be legendary. It was.

Haha Mike, I had homemade gourmet pizzas tonight. I made mine with BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, sopressata, and 4 kinds of cheese. My wife made hers with mushrooms, pears, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese and truffle oil. Bang.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm ready to get legit with MyFitnessPal and buy a food scale.

What is the minimum "pounds a week" I should shoot for when trying to gain strength? 1/2 pound ok?

mdsfx

I just know it will all be worth it when I can post douchy pictures of my abs.

Douchy pictures are fun to take. Just don't be a douche about it :)

I have no idea what that even means

Haha Mike, I had homemade gourmet pizzas tonight. I made mine with BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, sopressata, and 4 kinds of cheese. My wife made hers with mushrooms, pears, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese and truffle oil. Bang.

Oh man that sounds good. Truffle oil on pizza?? Hell yeah!

Pancakes

I set myself to lose 1lb a week but found it kinda debilatating and started to lose weight a bit too quick. I switched to half pound per week for now.

Douchy pictures are fun to take. Just don't be a douche about it :)

I have no idea what that even means

I think it's okay to post as a one off progress sort of post. Spamming your friends facebook feed with flexing nonstop is probably unwelcome.

ILoveBish

I made this chia seed pudding in the vitamix that is grade-a awesome. Seriously EXACT texture of real pudding, love the taste too. The issue is, it uses 2tbsp of heavy cream in it. Going to try to make it again without the heavy cream and see how it goes. Need dat dairy free goodness.

Haha. Cardio is great but long diatance running wrecks havoc on you.

I'm just saying, i've been lifting since march 2012 and i've never been injured even once, all i do is lift. JUST SAYIN.

I need to add that it was more or less just an observasion rather than a compliment. You look good with or without the body hair (the only body hair that bothers me is my own so I just get rid of it). :p

Makes sense, thank you!

1x Grilled Stuffed Nacho
1x Nachos and Cheese
2x Beef Chalupa
1x Cheesy Gordita Crunch
1x Burrito Supreme
1x Mexican Pizza

thispostgavemediabetes.png

But seriously, enjoy your meal, i remember my old days of taco bell runs, they were quite glorious in their own way. Damn if i don't think about a 7-layer burrito every once in a while. I changed my diet habits right when the doritos taco shell came out, so i never got to try that as well. Maybe taco bell will be a stop on my next cheat day, which i still haven't had the heart to do yet willingly.

Szu

1x Grilled Stuffed Nacho
1x Nachos and Cheese
2x Beef Chalupa
1x Cheesy Gordita Crunch
1x Burrito Supreme
1x Mexican Pizza

dhMeAzK.gif

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just went through my lifting history, and I deadlifted my most reps ever of 265 today, at about ten pounds lower bodyweight. I'm almost to my PB in bench as well.

In another month I hope to be in uncharted territory for all five lifts and stay there.

So back from my little east coast vacation where I ate deliciously good food that was full of calories and possibly sodium but was great and I didn't care. The thing that makes it all worth it though was that even after that week, I decided to put on a shirt I haven't worn in like a year, mostly because its a summer time shirt, and also because I stopped wearing it due to my belly kind of bulging in it, and I looked real nice in it. The fitness has been working. Now its back to proper eating and hitting the gym once again, but it was nice to let loose like that though.

Hi FitnessGAF,

Hopefully some of your experience will help out with my next purchase(s). I'm wanting something I can have in the living room and/or home office to get me moving for 30-60mins each weeknight/day e.g. Elliptical or treadmill.

Any recommendations? I'll also be picking up a basic weight set e.g. bench, lats and legs. Any thoughts on secondhand stuff or things I should focus on?

I'm a 6'1" near 100kg bloke if that has any relevance. I have been doing some basic to intermediate cardio stuff on and off for a few months 4-5 nights a week. It helped me drop about 10-12kgs as I fluctuate with weight easily. I have also been better with my diet e.g. no soft drinks, reduced takeaways and generally lower bread/shit food amounts.

BumRush

Hi FitnessGAF,

Hopefully some of your experience will help out with my next purchase(s). I'm wanting something I can have in the living room and/or home office to get me moving for 30-60mins each weeknight/day e.g. Elliptical or treadmill.

I have a Schwinn Airdyne AD6 bike and I love it. Just 15 minutes on it and I'm dripping. You set your own pace, and the resistance is commensurate to your intensity. Works your legs and arms, not too expensive, great on your joints, etc. Hell of a bike.

mdsfx

I have a Schwinn Airdyne AD6 bike and I love it. Just 15 minutes on it and I'm dripping. You set your own pace, and the resistance is commensurate to your intensity. Works your legs and arms, not too expensive, great on your joints, etc. Hell of a bike.
If I were to go back in time before my treadmill purchase, I too would buy a bike. Low impact, adjustable resistance, generally much smaller/more portable, etc. Also, I dislike how ellipticals force me to stay in a semi-squat position. It actually puts a lot of strain on my knees and feels terrible not to be able to stretch out my legs. At least on a bike you can adjust the seat.

Thanks for the responses. How do you find core, stomach and back for bike versus treadmill/elliptical? I do a fair amount of sitting so my thought head towards vertical activity rather than sitting. I do appreciate the thoughts on impact though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom