• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Getting used to working out in the evening finally, had an excellent squat day, and I'm enjoying the volume with 5/3/1 surprisingly. Of course, I'm not just doing regular 5/3/1. I've also gone and added bits of Brian shaw's training program to my program. It's pretty interesting and I've not worked this hard in a long time.

I never fail to hurt something as my bench press gets heavier. This time it's pain in the chest muscle itself. I guess I'll see if vitamin sleep and eating at a surplus gets it to heal by Thursday.

What program are you doing? If not, what are you doing? Are you getting enough sleep? Eating enough? Drinking enough water? Warming up properly?

If all of this is on point, look into SMR or professional work.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
What program are you doing? If not, what are you doing? Are you getting enough sleep? Eating enough? Drinking enough water? Warming up properly?

If all of this is on point, look into SMR or professional work.

Starting Strength, drank enough water that day and warmed up properly, and just gained five pounds in a week so I was eating enough. Sleep was probably deficient after a week of work travel.

I'll see what SMR is about, thanks.

Edit: Oh, foam rolling. I'll try it on the pain point and see if that makes it feel better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Starting Strength, drank enough water that day and warmed up properly, and just gained five pounds in a week so I was eating enough. Sleep was probably deficient after a week of work travel.

I'll see what SMR is about, thanks.

Edit: Oh, foam rolling. I'll try it on the pain point and see if that makes it feel better.

Hydration starts days before the day you lift. Let me say that again. Hydration starts DAYS before the day you lift. It's especially important in hotter months.

If you can, post a video of you benching, are you missing reps? How long since last deload? How long had you been training?

Edit: it's not always the pain point that is the origin of the pain, but you will learn that. Actually it's usually not the spot where it hurts that's causing the pain.

I'm slowly starting to realise that getting enough water is one of the most important things you can do in life, period. If you pay attention to your body, the difference between a hydrated you (and as stated, this can take some time to achieve) and a non hydrated you can be huge.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Hydration starts days before the day you lift. Let me say that again. Hydration starts DAYS before the day you lift. It's especially important in hotter months.

If you can, post a video of you benching, are you missing reps? How long since last deload? How long had you been training?

Edit: it's not always the pain point that is the origin of the pain, but you will learn that. Actually it's usually not the spot where it hurts that's causing the pain.

Can't post a video. Last deload was about six weeks ago for bench, and yes I missed/didn't attempt the final rep this time. No pain occurred before the final rep, though it felt heavy of course. 3x4 at the same weight the previous week.

I'm going to go ahead and follow your advice on the hydration from now on, as that could be it. I can track water like food. 16 cups sound about right?

Do you guys think after a while, it's better to stop chasing pure strength gains and focus on endurance?

For example, on starting strength, they recommend 5 reps on squats so that's what I've been following.

I do 3 work sets at 275lbs right now. Would it be better to cut the weight to ~200-225 lbs and go for 10-12 reps instead?

Anyone have some input on this? Curious myself.

Honestly, it is just down to how you want to train. If you feel like you can or want to, do it up. After I hit my personal goals for strength, I decided to go towards a BB style routine. I wanted to shape my body more, focus less on strength. In the end, you do what you want/feel. And if that is more endurance, by all means, go for it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Can't post a video. Last deload was about six weeks ago for bench, and yes I missed/didn't attempt the final rep this time. No pain occurred before the final rep, though it felt heavy of course. 3x4 at the same weight the previous week.

I'm going to go ahead and follow your advice on the hydration from now on, as that could be it. I can track water like food. 16 cups sound about right?

If you're active I'd drink 1 gallon to a little bit more a day. And get plenty of salt.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Try doing some band pull aparts. Also lax ball on your pec.

Took my lax ball to my pec. That muscle feels soft and weak whereas my right pec feels tight and strong.

Oh well, loaded up on water and ready for bed. Thanks for the advice gents.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Took my lax ball to my pec. That muscle feels soft and weak whereas my right pec feels tight and strong.

Oh well, loaded up on water and ready for bed. Thanks for the advice gents.

You have no idea what you're doing. Look up SMR techniques and learn what to look for. What you just said alerted me to that, plus well, you said you didn't know what SMR is. Leaning about recovery is just as important as leaning about training. If not more so.

Also, don't "load up" on water, that's also not how it work your body will just eliminate it. Should be a steady Intake all day. Only spike should be during and/or after training.

GAF, quick question.

I'm a skinny guy who's been working out for about a month following this regimen (repeated all week, Sunday off to rest):

MgdxrXvl.jpg

I weigh 135-140 and have been trying to eat 2500 calories a day to gain size.

My goal is to look like this with a tad bit more definition. I'm mainly looking to bulk up.

vxoMxie.jpg

Will that routine and a ton of healthy eating/sleep get me there?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Fair enough. I'm tired of getting injured during bench press, so I'll look into the techniques of SMR, keep the water flowing and probably post a video as soon as I can bench heavy again.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GAF, quick question.

I'm a skinny guy who's been working out for about a month following this regimen (repeated all week, Sunday off to rest):

My goal is to look like this with a tad bit more definition. I'm mainly looking to bulk up.

Anything is possible, and that "routine" is atrocious, especially for a beginner.

Shit, I know guys that don't touch any weight, eat like shit, and look way better than that pic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How so? I've seen some results from it. Care to offer an alternative?

You're a beginner, you would see results doing 100 reps of Xbox controller curls.

That routine has no rhyme or reason to any of it, no progression, no logical order to the lifts, no emphasis on the main compound movements... The list could go on.

You're a beginner, you would see results doing 100 reps of Xbox controller curls.

That routine has no rhyme or reason to any of it, no progression, no logical order to the lifts, no emphasis on the main compound movements... The list could go on.

Could you provide a good workout routine then? I want to maximize my efficiency and results in the gym.

J. Bravo

10x3 @ 135 ohp. Not hard until about set 7. Then I had to start resting a little longer lol. The last set I managed 5 reps. A bro watching gave me advice on pushing my head forward and down which made the lift way easier.

mdsfx

How so? I've seen some results from it. Care to offer an alternative?
I would check out the OT for some beginner programs. Compound lifts are essential. I hardly do any isolation. I'm sure there is a time and place for them, but I always think, "why the hell would I spend 20 minutes doing curls just for my biceps when I can do rows and hit biceps, middle back, lower back, etc." Edit: I'm also not an advanced lifter, hence less isolation

Bench press/military press, rows/pull ups, squats, and deadlifts are pretty much all I focus on, albeit in different forms.

BumRush

GAF, quick question.

MgdxrXvl.jpg

vxoMxie.jpg

Dude. Not a very good routine. You willing to tweak it? We'll work with you.

BumRush

Anyone have experience with T-bar rows or dumbbell rows to replace the standard barbell pendlay rows? I've been progressing with the movement in terms of weight but it always feels so unnatural and clunky.

T-bar row for reference: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/t-bar-row-with-handle

I use both. I like to mix up my grips and exercises, and there are so many different rows you can do. This morning I supersetted high volume one arm rows with power cleans.

Dude. Not a very good routine. You willing to tweak it? We'll work with you.

Yeah, absolutely. I'll do anything to get the body I want. I just need a set routine to follow and I'll be good. I don't care about variations either because I don't worry about "getting bored" in the gym.

HELP ME! Lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yeah, absolutely. I'll do anything to get the body I want. I just need a set routine to follow and I'll be good. I don't care about variations either because I don't worry about "getting bored" in the gym.

HELP ME! Lol.

You gotta do some research on your own to see what fits your goals. Like people said have the OP is an absolute wealth of info for starting out in weight training. Personally if you just want to get stronger then just go for stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength, whichever you prefer. Everyone is different and some routines that work for one person won't work out for another. It's all about doing your homework and figuring out what works for you.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Then this guys videos for how to actually do heavy lifts properly: https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

HELP ME! Lol.

I haven't even looked at the OP in years but I will say follow the OP.

You gotta do some research on your own to see what fits your goals. Like people said have the OP is an absolute wealth of info for starting out in weight training. Personally if you just want to get stronger then just go for stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength, whichever you prefer. Everyone is different and some routines that work for one person won't work out for another. It's all about doing your homework and figuring out what works for you.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Then this guys videos for how to actually do heavy lifts properly: https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

I've tried to do research and I read so much conflicting information that it becomes overwhelming.

Basically, I'm an ectomorph (but not complete skin and bones) with what I'd like to think is a good foundation for gaining muscle. I want strength, of course, but that comes secondary to bulking up and the visual aspect for me. I'm just being honest. I want to look good and be confident in myself, and being skinny doesn't do that for me.

BumRush

HELP ME! Lol.

Read up on starting strength in the OP. It starts easy and gets hard pretty quick. As Brolic mentioned, it's all about compounds (which will get you bigger than the workouts youve been doing). And in your case eating more. After you've read it, come back and ask questions.

bchamba

Hit a 325 paused bench off a 2 inch board for my max effort upper body lift today. 315 flew up so fast I thought I was going to get at least 335 but it barely moved. Getting real comfortable with 300+ in my hands, hoping to hit 315 when I test my competition max in 3 weeks.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I've tried to do research and I read so much conflicting information that it becomes overwhelming.

Basically, I'm an ectomorph (but not complete skin and bones) with what I'd like to think is a good foundation for gaining muscle. I want strength, of course, but that comes secondary to bulking up and the visual aspect for me. I'm just being honest. I want to look good and be confident in myself, and being skinny doesn't do that for me.

There was an funny analogy I read on Reddit fitness awhile back about this:

SS is for a strength base. It's like being a lvl 1 peasant in a MMORPG leveling up to lvl 20 before switching class to Powerlifter or Bodybuilding. You aint doing shit without a strengh base. And yes, obviously lose weight if you're fat before. But if you're skinny fat, just fucking lift weights man and eat healthy.

Read up on starting strength in the OP. It starts easy and gets hard pretty quick. As Brolic mentioned, it's all about compounds (which will get you bigger than the workouts youve been doing). And in your case eating more. After you've read it, come back and ask questions.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)

So this routine from the OP is what I should be doing instead?

Maybe my ignorance is showing here, but it seems like 3 days a week isn't really enough. And only one day a week for arms?

ILoveBish

I forced myself to make something extra to eat, so made peanut butter cheese cake which came out amazing. Incredible taste. Bloated like crazy from the dairy tho. My body explodes so quickly when dairy hits, it's so sad.

Made 8 days of food also, it's all weighed and portion controlled. Back to regularly scheduled program.

Palpable

Sprinted 300 yards in 53 seconds today. I haven't done cardio in a long time. However, even when I did, I've always noticed something about my heartbeat. My heart races a mile a minute after sprinting. Oddly enough it doesn't slow down until many many hours later. For example, it has been almost 4 hours since I ran and my heart, while it has slowed down, is still beating much faster than normal. Any ideas as to why?

Yeah, I'd be seeing a doctor about that one. After about an hour you're supposed to be almost entirely back to normal.

I'd actually stick on a HR monitor for a few hours and record my rate every five mins (probably every minute in the first hour).

sphinx

the piano man
Maybe my ignorance is showing here, but it seems like 3 days a week isn't really enough. And only one day a week for arms?

you are in for a rude awakening if you go for it, you'd be doing 3 main compounds in each of those days, the first couple of weeks you'll be like "sha-la-la, hells yeah, fitness" but as you progress you'll be crawling out of the gym begging for mercy, lol

BumRush

The more important thing is weight progression. I'm guessing that with your homemade routine you don't increase weight much, and when you do, it's your call how much to add. SS will tell you what % to increase your weight so before you know it you'll be putting up PRs almost every time out. Those PRs are what will get you big, as it's uncharted territory for your muscles and they react accordingly.

Look, from your posts it seems as though you want immediate results. We say it on almost every page, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. Go back a few OTs and look at my transformation or look at a lot of the other cases in here where skinny guys bulked up (MDSFX as well). It took us over a year if not more to put a serious dent in this thing.

Ultimately, do what you want. I recommend SS because it works. Have I done different things? Sure...but I ALWAYS focus on compounds first, assistance lifts second. You should too.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Every single one of those lifts will strengthen your arms and bench press, pull ups, overhead press and rows involve them as a key component. Consider what percentage of your total muscle mass your arms make up and it should become clear why most beginner routines have isolated arm work only as assistance or supplementary.

Hiz_95

HELP ME! Lol.

If you've read the OP and your goal is primarily size, Ice Cream Fitness 5*5 would probably be a bit better than stronglifts or Starting Strength (and any of the variations).
Though you will be spending longer in the gym on that routine.

SeanR1221

So help me figure this out, weight loss gurus.

I hit 208 at one point but then recently was stuck back at 209. 209.0 on the dot to be exact for multiple days. I'm already down to 2000 calories (when I started 4 months ago I was at 2500) and didn't feel comfortable going any lower.

So yesterday I had a final for this post masters certification thing I'm doing. I sat in panera bread all day and studied. Ended up getting a cookie there too because I was like fuck it I'm stressed and then couldn't go to sleep until 2 am from all the coffee I drank so I had a couple quest bars.

Basically I ate 2500 calories and when I weighed myself? 208.2.

So was this one of those "whooshing" effects? I haven't gone over my calories in over a month. Is it sometimes good to slowly go up in calories, re assess, and then drop back down?

3phemeral

I hit 208 at one point but then recently was stuck back at 209. 209.0 on the dot to be exact for multiple days. I'm already down to 2000 calories (when I started 4 months ago I was at 2500) and didn't feel comfortable going any lower.

So yesterday I had a final for this post masters certification thing I'm doing. I sat in panera bread all day and studied. Ended up getting a cookie there too because I was like fuck it I'm stressed and then couldn't go to sleep until 2 am from all the coffee I drank so I had a couple quest bars.

So was this one of those "whooshing" effects? I haven't gone over my calories in over a month. Is it sometimes good to slowly go up in calories, re assess, and then drop back down?
Could it be extra sodium intake that's increasing water weight?

500 calories in one day isn't going to make much of a difference at all, chances are it's what you ate more than anything else (plus stress and lack of sleep).

Azulsky

Do you guys think after a while, it's better to stop chasing pure strength gains and focus on endurance?

For example, on starting strength, they recommend 5 reps on squats so that's what I've been following.

I do 3 work sets at 275lbs right now. Would it be better to cut the weight to ~200-225 lbs and go for 10-12 reps instead?

Anyone have some input on this? Curious myself.

Honestly, it is just down to how you want to train. If you feel like you can or want to, do it up. After I hit my personal goals for strength, I decided to go towards a BB style routine. I wanted to shape my body more, focus less on strength. In the end, you do what you want/feel. And if that is more endurance, by all means, go for it.

I think like anything else there are diminishing returns, specifically regarding time investment and I guess eventually genetic potential when you are talking looong term. Seems like most advanced people I know alternate programs or have routines that hit weak areas in both.

Personally I would like to reach the Intermediate Goals outlined on the Leangains site. For me anything involving upper body is far away on that.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

Within two years of consistent training on a decent routine, the average male should be able to progress to the following levels of strength (1RM):

Bench press: body weight x 1.2

Chin-ups or pull-ups: body weight x 1.2 or 8 reps with body weight.

Squat: body weight x 1.6

Deadlift: body weight x 2

They have some of the more official strength standards here
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

mdsfx

Bah, 7 sets of squats, 5 of deadlifts, then 35 minutes on a bike and my legs are already spent. I need to work on my endurance badly. Damn you, chicken legs!

Mr. X

Isnt that a refeed to get your metabolism back to burning since it may have slowed?

BumRush

Bah, 7 sets of squats, 5 of deadlifts, then 35 minutes on a bike and my legs are already spent. I need to work on my endurance badly. Damn you, chicken legs!

You did that all morning fasted or last night? That's a TON to do on an empty stomach.

mdsfx

You did that all morning fasted or last night? That's a TON to do on an empty stomach.
Morning, fasted. Really? I used to do 30 sets of legs before my injury.

Edit: OH. So maybe that wasn't a good idea. I just never think I've done enough.

BumRush

Morning, fasted. Really? I used to do 30 sets of legs before my injury.

Edit: OH. So maybe that wasn't a good idea

Dude, I eat breakfast, wait 20 minutes, then squat (5 working sets), DL (3 working sets) and power clean (3 working sets)...then ride the bike for 15 minutes or so...then eat a second breakfast (homemade shake) and I'm shot for 36 hours.

Azulsky

Yeah this sorta thing is what has happened to me 3 times maybe in the past year. Weight loss goes from linear to stepwise.

When you calorically restrict you get edema, or water retention. I think the theory is that your body relaxes the pumping mechanisms for electrolytes and water when you are calorically deficient and reenables them when you jump out of it.

It makes people believe in starvation mode because they get depressed and binge eat and then flood the internet with a testimonial about how x diet didn't work.

I bet it has something to do with increased carb intake too as suddenly you get a real blood sugar spike when you are resting and your body is busy with the glucose. For me it always follows an alcoholic occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom