• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

You can still make progress, you'll just progress more slowly than if you were doing a pure strength setup.
That'll do! I never thought I would love running as much as I do now. Feels good.

Side note: stepped up the heart rate when cycling yesterday. Did 30 minutes at closer to 150. My legs felt like rocks at the end of that session lol. Will try to push harder next time.

Szu

I will put watching it on my to do list (this summer it contains only nice things
and you all should be very proud of me since I was going to add also something else, but didn't.
).

Hahah, and you are welcome even though the pleasure was all mine. :p

Yes, I second this movie. It was awesome chaotic insanity.

Nice to see you back and healing, Sadetar.

Once you start hitting particularly high averages (zone 4) you might want to transition to HIIT instead. You could start with 5-10 mins of warmup then 20 seconds flat out (world exploding flat out) / 1 minute recovery X whatever and then 5-10 mins cool down or a bit more tempo work.

As you get fitter than can become 20/45, 20/30, 20/20, 20/15, 20/10... though that last one will utterly destroy most.

Some interesting options here too: https://youtu.be/ray3V5o73_U?t=53

mdsfx

Once you start hitting particularly high averages (zone 4) you might want to transition to HIIT instead. You could start with 5-10 mins of warmup then 20 seconds flat out (world exploding flat out) / 1 minute recovery X whatever and then 5-10 mins cool down or a bit more tempo work.

As you get fitter than can become 20/45, 20/30, 20/20, 20/15, 20/10... though that last one will utterly destroy most.

Some interesting options here too: https://youtu.be/ray3V5o73_U?t=53[u...Will try to push this to 30 minutes next time

UrAvgGuy

I don't know do you even realize how incredibly sweet that was to say! You just made my day! ^_^

I admit that it is great that it seems I will just heal on my own. I am planning to just get over this so I can go back to my old routines. It feels like cheating not to do any leg exercises. :p

haha aw no problem. it's the truth! :)

other than Quest bars, when you guys are on a cut and crave something sweet, what's your go-to stuff?

I've found that stuff like cake and pastries is terrible.

I either have a bit of ice cream, one or two spoons and that's all, or one twix bar, it really has the perfect size.

When this happens I'll either drink a Coke Zero or have some sugar free Jello. Maybe even chew some sugar free Trident.

ILoveBish

back down to 232.6, .9lbs away from a new low. Although i do not expect to get there till next week, have people staying over this weekend and will not be fasting and likely will be cooking/eating a lot.

mkenyon

Banned
That'll do! I never thought I would love running as much as I do now. Feels good.

Side note: stepped up the heart rate when cycling yesterday. Did 30 minutes at closer to 150. My legs felt like rocks at the end of that session lol. Will try to push harder next time.
Yeah, having your cardio on point is such a good feeling. There really is nothing like pushing yourself to the brink on distance running.

For what it's worth, my current schedule has me running M-Tue-Thu-Fri, and I run about 5 hours before I go lifting. My progression on various leg lifts (squat, deadlift, kickbacks) has not slowed since returning to running.

It could be that I'm able to sustain my level of progression since I'm so early in strength training (only started strength training about 2.5 months ago), but there's a few studies that were done that found there was no impact as long as the cardio was separated by a few hours.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
242 lbs.

yeah baybay

back down to 232.6, .9lbs away from a new low. Although i do not expect to get there till next week, have people staying over this weekend and will not be fasting and likely will be cooking/eating a lot.

And here I am just munching away on 2,500cal meals...not gaining a pound..

g9K9T1w.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I never want to come back from the beach. These sun dresses are changing everything.

ILoveBish

2nd day eating my new meal plan and first time I've almost gagged finishing the meal portion. I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one. It's the best one so far nutritionally but it goes down slow.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm only human FastingGAF. At a sales meeting all day and they serve these fat breakfast burritos for breakfast. I was strong and refused. Lunch arrives and tubs of BBQ come rolling in. We're talking ribs, chicken, brisket and other goodies. Couldn't reaist. 650 calorie and 60g protein injection!

BumRush

I'm only human FastingGAF. At a sales meeting all day and they serve these fat breakfast burritos for breakfast. I was strong and refused. Lunch arrives and tubs of BBQ come rolling in. We're talking ribs, chicken, brisket and other goodies. Couldn't reaist. 650 calorie and 60g protein injection!

You had a bbq buffet and only ate 650 calories!?!? I'm impressed.

3phemeral

The good thing about IF is that it's really conditioned me into understanding what I should be eating and its value. When I allowed myself to eat all day, I assumed that I'd burn it off or that I'd be able to balance it out somehow, which didn't work out because I'd end up just eating whatever was available. Cramming it all into a 4-hour period forces me to plan what I want to eat, what it's offering nutritionally, and whether I can actually eat it because I'll be stuffed by the first meal so I have be smart about the nutritional density.

It's also weird that I've been losing weight rather slowly (about half a pound a week so far), but I've been leaning out at the same time and still able to do 1RMs. Arranging an IF meal is like a puzzle you have to solve, it's almost fun in way.

ILoveBish

Bench day went well, I got 3x210 then 2x235. I tried for the third rep and failed. Was disappointed but then I realized, I weighed in at 232.6 this morning, that's two reps over my own body weight. Then I felt a lot better lol. Finished up all my other sets, hit every rep easy and got out of there. I'm going to chalk this up as a good day.

Beware of BBQ sauce. Otherwise, no worries.

Sadetar

Yes, I second this movie. It was awesome chaotic insanity.

Nice to see you back and healing, Sadetar.
I have watched the movie trailer and it looks exactly how you described it. I am so going to see it. :D

And thank you for the kind words! I am pretty happy to be able to work out again, even if just upper body with baby weights. I am just waiting when can I get rid of these meds. At the moment I just update the dosage to bigger every three days. I will talk about the situation on Monday with the neurosurgeon. :)

haha aw no problem. it's the truth! :)
<3

Unless, he's the one with the dress.
My thoughts exactly.

Now I have this interesting mental image and I can't get rid of it.

Cheekinis>Sun dresses, IMO
You gentlemen seem to know women clothing vocabulary better than I do. I needed to google cheekini
(and after checking it out, I agree that they are awesome)

Samara

Those egg whites mix (in the milk carton) are a godsend.Pour a 3 quarter of a cup over some asparagus, now that's some good cutting meal. And they taste really good. I have a bunch of whole eggs I wonder if I can make my own mix to store into the carton.

Somebody please talk me out of it. lol

entremet

You really picked up fasting fierce, Cooter.

I've been on and off during the years. I'm back on during a cutting phase right now and just forgot how magic it is.

I think I may stay on it for good. It's just so convenient not thinking about one extra meal per day.

I'm just doing lunch and dinner within an 8 hour feeding window.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Slowly getting there this year again. Currently at 84.5kgs at around 10ish% bodyfat maybe? Perhaps even a bit less.

Goal is to reduce the calories around 2500 (currently at 2800) from July onwards and include 50% protein per dat. Right now I'm on a 33% - 33% - 33% macro split (protein, carbs, fat)

https://instagram.com/p/335ABPhMlQ/

SeanR1221

Funny moment at the gym tonight.

This guy comes up to me asking for a spot. He had 275 loaded on the bench but wasn't sure how many reps to do. So I asked him his max and he said 335. So I said at around 80% 3-5 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Then the dudes like "where's all the big people at?!" So I pointed to my friend and I'm like uhhh, he's pretty big (he has close to a 1600 total). So the guy starts talking to him and the guy is bragging about his numbers.

Anyway, he wants a lift off so I give him one and step back so my balls aren't in his face and he yells stay with me stay with me!

So I'm like uhhhh sure and place my hand hovering below the bar. He stalls completely at his chest so I help him up and guide the bar to re rack it and he's like one more!

So then I completely help him rep it.

My friend called him out and said he doesn't bench 335 and the guy was like uhhh my chest hurts.

Cooter

You really picked up fasting fierce, Cooter.

I've been on and off during the years. I'm back on during a cutting phase right now and just forgot how magic it is.

I think I may stay on it for good. It's just so convenient not thinking about one extra meal per day.

I'm just doing lunch and dinner within an 8 hour feeding window.
My body responds so well to it. Not to mention if I got to night time and only had 700-900 calories left I'd go crazy. This C***er doesn't like going to bed hungry!

J. Bravo

Funny moment at the gym tonight.

This guy comes up to me asking for a spot. He had 275 loaded on the bench but wasn't sure how many reps to do. So I asked him his max and he said 335. So I said at around 80% 3-5 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Then the dudes like "where's all the big people at?!" So I pointed to my friend and I'm like uhhh, he's pretty big (he has close to a 1600 total). So the guy starts talking to him and the guy is bragging about his numbers.

Anyway, he wants a lift off so I give him one and step back so my balls aren't in his face and he yells stay with me stay with me!

So I'm like uhhhh sure and place my hand hovering below the bar. He stalls completely at his chest so I help him up and guide the bar to re rack it and he's like one more!

So then I completely help him rep it.

My friend called him out and said he doesn't bench 335 and the guy was like uhhh my chest hurts.
Lmao what a poser.

I had someone ask me to take pictures of him posing in the locker room tonight haha.

Also deadlifts. 6x5 and 1x10-@ 290. Significantly harder than I anticipated. The final set wasn't as bad as the one for squats tough. Not by a long shot.

entremet

My body responds so well to it. Not to mention if I got to night time and only had 700-900 calories left I'd go crazy. This C***er doesn't like going to bed hungry!

Same here.

I remember reading that women don't respond well to fasting. Maybe an evolutionary adaptation for fertility?

Some of my female coworkers think I'm crazy for fasting as they couldn't imagine doing it.

ILoveBish

I've had obese people tell me they'd rather stay obese then fast. Several times. I love fasting and have no plans to stop for majority of my life.

Slowly getting there this year again. Currently at 84.5kgs at around 10ish% bodyfat maybe? Perhaps even a bit less.

Goal is to reduce the calories around 2500 (currently at 2800) from July onwards and include 50% protein per dat. Right now I'm on a 33% - 33% - 33% macro split (protein, carbs, fat)

https://instagram.com/p/335ABPhMlQ/

It blows my mind that you eat 2800 calories and look like that.

Amazing job and you look terrific. I'm so terrified to eat more. Been cutting so long nothing else makes sense on a day to day basis.

Cooter

Same here.

I remember reading that women don't respond well to fasting. Maybe an evolutionary adaptation for fertility?

Some of my female coworkers think I'm crazy for fasting as they couldn't imagine doing it.
I avoid bringing it up as much as possible. Everytime I am forced to I get a mini lecture on how it is unhealthy. I quit trying to explain it and now simply respond with, "it works well for me."

Lmao what a poser.

I had someone ask me to take pictures of him posing in the locker room tonight haha.Also deadlifts. 6x5 and 1x10-@ 290. Significantly harder than I anticipated. The final set wasn't as bad as the one for squats tough. Not by a long shot.

oh goodness

mdsfx

For what it's worth, my current schedule has me running M-Tue-Thu-Fri, and I run about 5 hours before I go lifting. My progression on various leg lifts (squat, deadlift, kickbacks) has not slowed since returning to running.
I'm sorry, run that by me again? Are you running like 150 miles per week?!

J. Bravo

guarantee you he meant 5 miles lol.

still, would be nice for clarification because i'd be dead and unable to lift if I ran first. this girl I'm talking to said we're gonna start running together though so that's both a good thing and a bad thing.

good because more time spent with her = more fun time and stronger relationship
bad because I hate running and it's hot af. 105 heat index today 70% humidity. fucking Kansas.

Bowser

He either means 5 miles, or (more likely IMO), he gives himself 5 hours of time between running and lifting (e.g. he runs at, say, 5am and doesn't lift until 10am).

J. Bravo

He either means 5 miles, or (more likely IMO), he gives himself 5 hours of time between running and lifting (e.g. he runs at, say, 5am and doesn't lift until 10am).

Ah yeah that makes way more sense and upon a 2nd reading is what I'm guessing too. probably the only way cardio before lifting is a not terrible idea.

mdsfx

Ah yeah that makes way more sense and upon a 2nd reading is what I'm guessing too. probably the only way cardio before lifting is a not terrible idea.
Ah, yeah I think I read that wrong haha. Thought i read "run for about 5 hours." Makes sense now in the context of his next statement.

Whew. I already feel like I have work to do, but that almost made me feel completely inadequate!

Azulsky

My buddy and I talked about this the other day.

We both agreed we'd rather be able to cut on 2000ish calories than close to 3000. Hungry? Drink some black coffee or water.

But the opposite? You're constantly eating.

Im pretty sure its just trying to eat clean and 3000 that is the annoying part. So much volume.

If i was eating whatever I wanted I could get 1/2 of that in one Jimmy Johns sandwich.

mdsfx

Im pretty sure its just trying to eat clean and 3000 that is the annoying part. So much volume.

If i was eating whatever I wanted I could get 1/2 of that in one Jimmy Johns sandwich.
Mmmm...Yimmy Yon's...
The JJ Gargantuan Unwich is my favorite

Going around a working museum and there's a blacksmith with the biggest forearms I've ever seen. Veins like hoses. Seems the key to massive forearms is hand pumping a bellows and hammering shit all day.

REALLY struggling with the fasting. Massive food fair with hog roast, BBQ meats, ales, ice creams, hot dogs, pies etc. Really want to break, lol.

ILoveBish

Well didn't expect this till next week, but hit an all new low of 231.6, only .2 lower then my last lowest but I'll take it. Sadly I know I'll be going up in weight next 2 days.

My new meal plan has been giving me weird issues, but it's also the healthiest thing I've made so far. I might go back to dairy if I can't get things going proper. The thought of that sucks tho, last night at 1am, I had someone tell me I looked skinny as heck, and that is because I didn't get bloated all day from the dairy. Gah.

It blows my mind that you eat sub 2000kCal and lift as much as you do.

Yah but I've said several times the secret to how I do what I do. Fully keto adapted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom