• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Every single one of those lifts will strengthen your arms and bench press, pull ups, overhead press and rows involve them as a key component. Consider what percentage of your total muscle mass your arms make up and it should become clear why most beginner routines have isolated arm work only as assistance or supplementary.

I don't think aesthetics is even an issue with Starting Strength as long as you do all the exercises and add pull-ups to supplement. But then again, I'm weird in that my bench is much closer to my squats than most I see in here.

So this routine from the OP is what I should be doing instead?

Maybe my ignorance is showing here, but it seems like 3 days a week isn't really enough. And only one day a week for arms?

3 days a week is a nice base but (and this is where my opinion will differ greatly from the thread), I see nothing wrong with adding an additional arm day or even just after your workout, do some hammer curls, high curls, concentration curls, etc. Everyone says that compound lifts will cause your arms to grow and yes, while this is true, I ended up falling behind in the long run in my arms because for me, it just wasn't enough.

If you want to do more arms, I say do it up.

BumRush

3 days a week is a nice base but (and this is where my opinion will differ greatly from the thread), I see nothing wrong with adding an additional arm day or even just after your workout, do some hammer curls, high curls, concentration curls, etc. Everyone says that compound lifts will cause your arms to grow and yes, while this is true, I ended up falling behind in the long run in my arms because for me, it just wasn't enough.

If you want to do more arms, I say do it up.

I definitely don't disagree with you. Even when I did SS I was working out 5-6 days a week with one arm day, one core day and a cable-only high rep day in addition to the compound days. SS is an amazing base but it's sparse. It's a great place to start. When beginners ask though, it's hard to suggest tweaking the proven methods. What worked for me (such as a high rep cable day) might be absurd, too much, counterproductive for someone else.

I definitely don't disagree with you. Even when I did SS I was working out 5-6 days a week with one arm day, one core day and a cable-only high rep day in addition to the compound days. SS is an amazing base but it's sparse. It's a great place to start.

Yeah, I did none of this and just stuck with the standard 3 days a week. The simplicity of SS is its brilliance, but it is lacking a lot as well. And I get it too, no need to overwhelm people who are just starting or don't really understand what they are doing in the gym. Stick with the basics. That being said, a fair amount of people who get started are also looking into it for vanity reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. It is why if people want to do more direct arm or core work, I encourage it.

despire

So this routine from the OP is what I should be doing instead?

Maybe my ignorance is showing here, but it seems like 3 days a week isn't really enough. And only one day a week for arms?

You hit your arms three days a week, not once (see bolded). They all hit your arms in one way or another. Bench and press hit your triceps and rows/pull-ups hit your biceps.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)

BumRush

You hit your arms three days a week, not once (see bolded). They all hit your arms in one way or another. Bench and press hit your triceps and rows/pull-ups hit your biceps.

To be fair, if he's mostly in for aesthetics, FE is right...that's probably not enough arms to get the look he wants.

SeanR1221

Yeah this sorta thing is what has happened to me 3 times maybe in the past year. Weight loss goes from linear to stepwise.

When you calorically restrict you get edema, or water retention. I think the theory is that your body relaxes the pumping mechanisms for electrolytes and water when you are calorically deficient and reenables them when you jump out of it.

It makes people believe in starvation mode because they get depressed and binge eat and then flood the internet with a testimonial about how x diet didn't work.

I bet it has something to do with increased carb intake too as suddenly you get a real blood sugar spike when you are resting and your body is busy with the glucose. For me it always follows an alcoholic occasion.

Thanks for the input. This seems like the most exanation. I mean, my clothes fit better each week so I definitely think some heavy water retention is going on. And like you said, I usually don't have a carb spike on a rest day like that.

I should clarify I eat 2000 on rest days but on workout days I usually add in a banana and a scoop of whey so a little over that 3 days a week

ILoveBish

Still up 4.6lbs somehow, i'm taking a cutting break anyway, when i realized i've been so strict all this time, i felt like my body needed a week or 2 to just relax, but keeping an eye on the scale anyway. Not concerned at all.

Thanks for the input. This seems like the most exanation. I mean, my clothes fit better each week so I definitely think some heavy water retention is going on. And like you said, I usually don't have a carb spike on a rest day like that.

I should clarify I eat 2000 on rest days but on workout days I usually add in a banana and a scoop of whey so a little over that 3 days a week

Weight loss, especially long term, is usually not linear. Fluctuations are part of the process. No worries. The thing is to be consistent.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm always super anal about my back and I'm convinced I hurt myself once squatting this way.

Same with deadlifiting. I'm always anal about keeping my back in the right position and letting my legs do the work.

Yea, one of my biggest fears is damaging my back, spine, or discs is some gruesome fashion while lifting heavy.

So I got this pinched nerve in my neck back around March and it completely froze the left side of my upper body. I couldn't flex my chest or lat on that side. Previous to that I had been trying to gain 15lbs of muscle and get my bench to finally 315 and my DL's to 405. I was on track for all of it and having the best workouts of my life and then this stupid nerve thing happened. I lost almost 20lbs all the way from 197 to 182 and all that strength progress is gone. Thankfully my lat and chest have started responding again so I can hit them but I literally can't lift even what I could 10 years ago. I was really down about the whole thing but then I decided to switch to a different tactic.

High Reps + Sprint Training and Endurance Hiking.

I took this today and I am overall kind of happy with where I am sitting at despite the circumstances. I still hate not going for a larger aesthetic and chasing Darths legs but it is what it is. Just reminded me that no matter what happens to you when you have lifted your whole life you got to adapt and find different goals to hit.

Thanks for the advice Shogun it helped a lot there in the beginning and i'm convinced that roller got my nerve to respond faster. Sorry for the long rant but being in the Fitness thread helps a lot when your going through something like that so you don't get too discouraged. Even though Do I even lift? Probably not

Ehsomeprogress.jpg

Yes those are superman sweatpants from Walmart and I am pretty sure they are girls pants.

mkenyon

Banned
What's a solid nutrition book for someone who is just being introduced to eating better? no fasting, keto, etc stuff
You're about to step into the land of Pseudo-science. You'll be knee deep in bullshit, getting recommendations from people who are more dedicated to their platform than the staunchest MS/Sony fanboys on GAF. Nutrition makes console wars look like a cute and sensible discussion.

With that in mind, you don't *really* need a book unless you're out for something hyper specific in your diet.

Szu

BruceLeeRoy. Yeah, I can notice the difference in your pecs, but they still look good.

And yeah those are absolutely girl pants.

BruceLeeRoy. Yeah, I can notice the difference in your pecs, but they still look good.

And yeah those are absolutely girl pants.

Haha they are bro. Yeah I lost a lot in my right pec its so weird. Ill find a pic I had from 2 months ago it look fricken deflated.

Bruce, you look terrific man. Although you look nothing like your avatar, so not sure that's really you!

The glow started to fade for me this year bro. Thanks though

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Another FitGaf legend drops in to say hi! Sweet pants Bruce. Looking great as usual. Here's to healthy lifting brotha!

rokkerkory

So I got this pinched nerve in my neck back around March and it completely froze the left side of my upper body. I couldn't flex my chest or lat on that side. Previous to that I had been trying to gain 15lbs of muscle and get my bench to finally 315 and my DL's to 405. I was on track for all of it and having the best workouts of my life and then this stupid nerve thing happened. I lost almost 20lbs all the way from 197 to 182 and all that strength progress is gone. Thankfully my lat and chest have started responding again so I can hit them but I literally can't lift even what I could 10 years ago. I was really down about the whole thing but then I decided to switch to a different tactic.

I took this today and I am overall kind of happy with where I am sitting at despite the circumstances. I still hate not going for a larger aesthetic and chasing Darths legs but it is what it is. Just reminded me that no matter what happens to you when you have lifted your whole life you got to adapt and find different goals to hit.

Thanks for the advice Shogun it helped a lot there in the beginning and i'm convinced that roller got my nerve to respond faster. Sorry for the long rant but being in the Fitness thread helps a lot when your going through something like that so you don't get too discouraged. Even though Do I even lift? Probably not

Ehsomeprogress.jpg

Yes those are superman sweatpants from Walmart and I am pretty sure they are girls pants.

Looking great man, keep it up!

Ehsomeprogress.jpg

face gains op

fantascio physique

Bah, am going backwards on my pullups. Thought they were supposed to get easier on a cut? :(

I'm going backwards everywhere except pullups. Maybe because they were always puny so lots of room for gains. Though that doesn't explain my squats, which are puny too and getting worse.

BumRush

Ehsomeprogress.jpg

Looking great Bruce!! Killer sweats.

Leeness

Still up 4.6lbs somehow, i'm taking a cutting break anyway, when i realized i've been so strict all this time, i felt like my body needed a week or 2 to just relax, but keeping an eye on the scale anyway. Not concerned at all.

Same thing happening to me right now with my random gain of 2lbs. Except I am concerned about it haha. Staaaaaahp, body. :'( I want to get under 150lbs so so badly.

Also, lol, I'm never going to announce again that I'm going to start back on an exercise program because I sabotage myself every. Single. Time. Was going to restart starting strength last night...got really nauseous/headachey/sick on the way home from work. Good times.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, am going backwards on my pullups. Thought they were supposed to get easier on a cut? :(

Are you getting enough a rest?

If you're eating less, your recovery time will probably be longer.

Cooper

Also, lol, I'm never going to announce again that I'm going to start back on an exercise program because I sabotage myself every. Single. Time. Was going to restart starting strength last night...got really nauseous/headachey/sick on the way home from work. Good times.

This is a large part of why I started early morning workouts. I just get out of bed, go to the gym, and finish up before any random events can derail my plans.

J. Bravo

9 triples at 265 followed by an amrap set of 10. Holy fuck. I don't know how I made it up on the last two reps. The last 4 are hazy.

Felt pretty badass walking out, tho I'm sure no one was mirin. Lots of big mofos at my gym.

sphinx

the piano man
even though I took a week off from the gym after a very stressing trip to london, I am still on my cutting phase and I am seeing progress. Abs are starting to show, the upper 2 are definitely there, and that's at night. I think I will acheive my goal in 2 weeks. On time for madrid pride

today I did 77.5 (170 lbs) kgs 5x3, on bench press, first time ever I load the bar with that weight. Will repeat next time because I think a couple of those might have been 3/4 reps.

benchpress2015_zpshclpoln6.jpg

80 kg is very very near, which is cool because is two 15 kgs plates (33 lbs)

ILoveBish

Haven't been to the gym since last friday, my body is just telling me to rest up and get back on track sleep and water wise, so i'm going to listen to it. I might go back tomorrow if i feel better, or i might wait till next week. I just feel really tired these days.

sphinx

the piano man
I think you might need to be even more accurate when you enter your weight. 8 decimal places or you're not even trying!

lol, I put my weight in kilograms first and changed to imperial so you guys get the idea. The site did the change

not sure that's needed though, thanks to this thread I get the idea on either kgs or lbs.

don't you guys in the UK count in stones?

Cooper

lol, I put my weight in kilograms first and changed to imperial so you guys get the idea. The site did the change

not sure that's needed though, thanks to this thread I get the idea on either kgs or lbs.

I often think I need weight plates that are measured in .00001 pound increments to advance my OHP. :p

sphinx

the piano man
I often think I need weight plates that are measured in .00001 pound increments to advance my OHP. :p

yeah OHP has proven to be the hardest lift to me :/ It has this peculiar thing that whenever a weight is out of my reach, my middle back will say "stop, this is not your weight" and force me to stop.

Deadlift drills my nervous system like nothing else, but that's after the lift. the lift itself is doable.

on OHP, you either admit defeat or you move like a worm to fit under the bar all while quickly approaching spine injury territory.

OHP gave me a one year wrist injury.

it's the DEVIL

grumble

Same thing happening to me right now with my random gain of 2lbs. Except I am concerned about it haha. Staaaaaahp, body. :'( I want to get under 150lbs so so badly.

I find that especially at the beginning it's really hard to make yourself go and you'll come up with reasons not to all the time. My trick is to just go anyways no matter what. Even if you feel terrible and you've had three hours of sleep go anyways. Even if you only do one sit-up that's fine, it's about the routine. You'll find that once you're there you'll probably have a much better workout than you might think. Some of my best gym sessions have been on days I didn't think I'd even make it there.

Now if you're barfing and can't get out of bed that's different, but if you can get out of the house you can usually get to the gym. My biggest issue is that I've got a really busy social life during the week and often have plans after work. I start work at 7am so going before is brutal. I try to make time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom