• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

I blacked out after blood samples. They took quite much blood for million different things. I have been eating around 1400-1500 cals per day and I couldn't eat or drink anything for the last 12 hours prior to the blood samples. Not a good combination. At least the lady taking them were super friendly and adorable. I normally don't drink sugary juices but this time I drank one children juice popper when she offered.

Other than that my day was somewhat splendid and I may have found myself a new gym. It is the second closest to my home (after the university gym that I can't go anymore), it has nice free weight area with baby weight bars, everything I need and it is really comfy. The only downside is that with a huge discount it is still 440 euros / 490 dollars per year. Are real gyms really this expensive (university gym was 60 euros per year)? I didn't find anything cheaper than this at least not within walking distance.

I am so very excited. I squatted first time in months! Yay! Body weight ones and not that many repetitions, but my back wasn't trying to assasinate me and I feel more or less alright now. My leg muscles are killing me already though. And damn they felt hard and the burn on the back of the thighs was so good when I was doing them. I guess that couple months have took all my strenght away. Oh well, I will get back to it. Also I did bench press first time in ages but I wasn't that much behing my PRs on it. It seems that I have managed to maintain that with general upper body work outs with machines. All in all I was very pleased with the work out. Just so happy to be able to do at least some legs too.

Bah, 7 sets of squats, 5 of deadlifts, then 35 minutes on a bike and my legs are already spent. I need to work on my endurance badly. Damn you, chicken legs!
I agree with Psycho, that is a lot in anyone's scale (excect maybe Brolic).

Holy hell. And they made that look so easy. I would break bones with jumps down like that - not that I would even get on the top of those obstacles. Insane.

Dat ninja training.

Their scramble reminds me of this guy.
http://youtu.be/VmU6BChuiBs

However, his technique is far superior.
Lol. Yeah, that is more like my style. :p

So I got this pinched nerve in my neck back around March and it completely froze the left side of my upper body. I couldn't flex my chest or lat on that side. Previous to that I had been trying to gain 15lbs of muscle and get my bench to finally 315 and my DL's to 405. I was on track for all of it and having the best workouts of my life and then this stupid nerve thing happened. I lost almost 20lbs all the way from 197 to 182 and all that strength progress is gone. Thankfully my lat and chest have started responding again so I can hit them but I literally can't lift even what I could 10 years ago. I was really down about the whole thing but then I decided to switch to a different tactic.

High Reps + Sprint Training and Endurance Hiking.

I took this today and I am overall kind of happy with where I am sitting at despite the circumstances. I still hate not going for a larger aesthetic and chasing Darths legs but it is what it is. Just reminded me that no matter what happens to you when you have lifted your whole life you got to adapt and find different goals to hit.

Thanks for the advice Shogun it helped a lot there in the beginning and i'm convinced that roller got my nerve to respond faster. Sorry for the long rant but being in the Fitness thread helps a lot when your going through something like that so you don't get too discouraged. Even though Do I even lift? Probably not

Ehsomeprogress.jpg

Yes those are superman sweatpants from Walmart and I am pretty sure they are girls pants.
Even if I can see the asymmetry on your pecs I still need to say that you look absolutely gorgeous. Seriously.

Also damn jealous of those pants. I need them. :p
Interesting new video from Alan Thrall about a common squat mistake with hips shooting back on the ascent. I'm probably guilty of doing this to some extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB8KekoCeNg
Now when I am going back to squats and need to be extra careful about my back that was a good reminder. Thank you.

Bam! 182.0 today.
Whoo! A time for new shirtless pic soon? ;)

I find that especially at the beginning it's really hard to make yourself go and you'll come up with reasons not to all the time. My trick is to just go anyways no matter what. Even if you feel terrible and you've had three hours of sleep go anyways. Even if you only do one sit-up that's fine, it's about the routine. You'll find that once you're there you'll probably have a much better workout than you might think. Some of my best gym sessions have been on days I didn't think I'd even make it there.

Now if you're barfing and can't get out of bed that's different, but if you can get out of the house you can usually get to the gym. My biggest issue is that I've got a really busy social life during the week and often have plans after work. I start work at 7am so going before is brutal. I try to make time.
I am like this as well. If I am healthy enough to go to work I am also healthy enough to work out. Even now when I haven't been able to do that much due to herniated disc I have anyways went there just to keep up the routine and to do something. I think it is just a matter of decision.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice man, you're basically there. I'm forcing myself to eat and it's hard if you are eating clean and trying to take in a lot of calories, if i was eating crap it would be so simple.
Yup. So close. DL strength is holding too. Just did 455x3 and 475x2x3.

Dude, when I was bulking I hit 4000 clean calories for 3.5 months. It was a F-ing chore!

Sadetar

FitGaf Progress Thread v.2 is right around the corner. ;)

Geez I hope your problems go away soon Sadetar.
I am not most likely going to post anything to that thread, sadly. I am way over 10 pounds heavier than I used to be just couple weeks ago and I feel that I have had some muscle loss. There is really little to no progress from last year. At least I still will be waiting for it just to see some fancy pics of you (and other adorable people in here). ;)

And what comes to my healing so far so good. I have a permission to start to take down the medication and I can slowly start to do things that I used to do. Hopefully it will be steady recovery from this now on. If needed I will still go past the lines if I will break it again so I feel quite safe at the moment. I will be fine. :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
First time in a long time I haven't felt back tightness after a squat. That Alan thrall video really helped out. I had to go with lower weight than normal since I'm on a cut and I can't cheat with my strong lower back anymore but eff it progress is progress.

Navi

So finally back in the gym after taking a month off almost for surgery. Starting off light as hell but feel like everything is heavy. Doing 160+ incline benching was like meh to me. Sore as shit thought as of right now.

Cooter

Yeah, higher volume workouts always leave me gassed but I actually recover from them quicker
I'm at the point in my lifting journey that I do a little bit of everything. I have lighter hi rep days mixed in with heavy 3-5 range days along with days where I mix the two like low rep chest superseted with hi rep bis. When your goal is to maintain what you have and you are not looking for strength gains you can get really creative.

Yup. So close. DL strength is holding too. Just did 455x3 and 475x2x3.

Dude, when I was bulking I hit 4000 clean calories for 3.5 months. It was a F-ing chore!

Cooter you dang king you did 475!! 0_o
Unreal man seriously.
Once I know when I'm going to be in Tahoe this summer I'll PM you and you can do donkey raises with me on your back

Even if I can see the asymmetry on your pecs I still need to say that you look absolutely gorgeous. Seriously.

Also damn jealous of those pants. I need them. :p

Ahhh your too nice. FitGaf is my emotional support once I stop lifting IHOP will replace it.

First time in a long time I haven't felt back tightness after a squat. That Alan thrall video really helped out. I had to go with lower weight than normal since I'm on a cut and I can't cheat with my strong lower back anymore but eff it progress is progress.

Are you going to stay the same weight since you had to lower the weight for the entire cut?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Are you going to stay the same weight since you had to lower the weight for the entire cut?

No, if I hit 5x5 on a lift I'll increase the weight by 5lbs the next training day and repeat.

Leeness

This is a large part of why I started early morning workouts. I just get out of bed, go to the gym, and finish up before any random events can derail my plans.

Yeeeah... I should, but not sure if I can a) use the apartment gym at 4am, and b) not sure I want to get up at 4am lol.

I find that especially at the beginning it's really hard to make yourself go and you'll come up with reasons not to all the time. My trick is to just go anyways no matter what. Even if you feel terrible and you've had three hours of sleep go anyways. Even if you only do one sit-up that's fine, it's about the routine. You'll find that once you're there you'll probably have a much better workout than you might think. Some of my best gym sessions have been on days I didn't think I'd even make it there.

Now if you're barfing and can't get out of bed that's different, but if you can get out of the house you can usually get to the gym. My biggest issue is that I've got a really busy social life during the week and often have plans after work. I start work at 7am so going before is brutal. I try to make time.

Well...not barfing, wrong end. :'( I've been having some stomach issues the last few weeks and now I'm getting some reprecussions.

...I probably shouldn't squat though. Lol.

----

Sadetar :( I'm so sad you're having such problems. Big big hugs to you. I hope you see some progress in your pain soon.

Pancakes

Right but wouldn't you not be able to go that much higher since a cut weakens you?

This is true I'll plateau sooner for sure. I guess when it does happen I'll stick to a certain weight until my cut is done and increase volume or something.

Cooper

Other than that my day was somewhat splendid and I may have found myself a new gym. It is the second closest to my home (after the university gym that I can't go anymore), it has nice free weight area with baby weight bars, everything I need and it is really comfy. The only downside is that with a huge discount it is still 440 euros / 490 dollars per year. Are real gyms really this expensive (university gym was 60 euros per year)? I didn't find anything cheaper than this at least not within walking distance.
$40/month is pretty average for a fully equipped gym, leaning towards the less expensive side in my experience. I hope your recovery continues. And I'm sure you look adorable, as you always do. :)

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Try doing some band pull aparts. Also lax ball on your pec.

The band pull aparts seemed to help a lot today. OHP didn't hurt or suffer at all today like I thought it might. True test will be Friday now, thanks a ton.

I walk 4+ miles in a day before working out on Mondays-Thursdays, and I think the humidity wrecked me today, especially on squats. I also nearly passed out on my two power clean reps. Resetting most of the lifts, adding more calories and continuing the hydration focus to compensate.

Cooter

Its so damn hard to get clean callories in, i just gave up and went to in and out, got a Triple Triple Animal & Protein Style. Feel pretty good now. I realized when i don't have wings in the freezer, my quick meals i can come up with are all deserts. I will need to work on that.

Also, came upon this great fasting article.

http://burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html
Wow! This explains why I do so well with IF. I spend 6-8 hours each day in a fasted (fat burning) state. I then train very hard in that fasted state which further forces my body to burn fat for energy. This is followed by whole foods which all go towards muscle building and energy as opposed to being stored as fat. Great article Bish. Thanks.

Nothing in there I haven't read before, but it's nice to see it all in such a condensed format. Related, I think I've been doing it more than a year now, freaky.

sphinx

the piano man
Wow! This explains why I do so well with IF. I spend 6-8 hours each day in a fasted (fat burning) state. I then train very hard in that fasted state which further forces my body to burn fat for energy. This is followed by whole foods which all go towards muscle building and energy as opposed to being stored as fat. Great article Bish. Thanks.

Do you experience muscle loss at a noticeable level with this method?

BumRush

I'm at the point in my lifting journey that I do a little bit of everything. I have lighter hi rep days mixed in with heavy 3-5 range days along with days where I mix the two like low rep chest superseted with hi rep bis. When your goal is to maintain what you have and you are not looking for strength gains you can get really creative.

Agreed. To me it's far more fun. I couldn't imagine working 70 hours a week, raising a child, trying to be a great husband, sometimes not sleeping much, etc. AND going for PRs every time out. I wouldn't have the focus. The people that do that are so dedicated, I love it and respect it but it was something that fit me more 5 years ago.

I've settled into a nice routine of 4-5 days per week, 1 hour per, where I do (usually) two compounds superset with 2 assistance lifts aND hit the bike for 15-20. It's working and I'm having a great time.

I am trying to lose my last 50 lbs or so, and most of the exercise I do is just walking.

Is there a limit to how many hours I should be walking a day? I started off with 1 hour a day, but thinking of going to 2 or 3, but friends keep telling me I will destroy my joints. (I am a tall/big guy... so a lot of weight).

Should I be fine upping it? I might consider alternative exercise, but I cannot think of any cardio that isn't hard on the lower body.

BumRush

I am trying to lose my last 50 lbs or so, and most of the exercise I do is just walking.

Is there a limit to how many hours I should be walking a day? I started off with 1 hour a day, but thinking of going to 2 or 3, but friends keep telling me I will destroy my joints. (I am a tall/big guy... so a lot of weight).

Should I be fine upping it? I might consider alternative exercise, but I cannot think of any cardio that isn't hard on the lower body.

It depends really. That's something you should probably ask a professional. Is there a way you could ease into jogging or - better yet - explore an exercise bike. Sure they're taxing on your lower body but not nearly in the same way as walking 3 hours or running. Your joints will thank you.

We're pretty much built to be able to walk for a ridiculous amount of time a day, once you're used to doing it anyway (and I assume you are as you're doing an hour a day already). Oh, and cycling really isn't taxing on your lower body at all.

That said, if you're considering spending that much time a day doing something... you might want to consider doing a little weight work to mix it up? Likely to be much better for you in the long run. Cardio isn't the key to losing weight.

3phemeral

IF has been amazing for me, it's slow but I haven't seen such a good balance of weight loss/muscle building with anything else I've done. And it's taught me better eating habits to boot. Thanks to this thread and everyone discussing it. I never thought that I could weigh practically the same while fitting in my smaller jeans and still break RM records week after week. Hoping that when I go on vacay this weekend I can maintain my habits.

Also, do any of you have any routines you do when you're away from home and have no access to a gym?

[edit]

Speaking of pull ups, a few months ago, I was a little incensed that I couldn't do any, like, at all. I felt pathetic I couldn't even do assisted ones without using a lot of counterweight. Last week I decided to see if I made any progress and surprisingly, I suddenly lift my weight and do 4X3. Not a lot, but I'm no longer embarrassed at the pull-up machine. lol

Szu

I agree with Psycho, that is a lot in anyone's scale (excect maybe Brolic).

Except this is probably the only type of cardio that I can imagine Brolic doing on a bike.

6cd8ea319a43e562281ca7566a54cfdf.gif

Also, I'm glad you're healing up. It's a slow process. Better safe than sorry.

Also, do any of you have any routines you do when you're away from home and have no access to a gym?
I've got a full bodyweight routine that I use. If I can take bands with me then all the better for my options.

Unrelated, I have a "greasing the groove" question. As I understand it, the way to go is to do as many reps as you can do with perfect form, a number of times through the day. However, none of the articles I've read on the subject seem to discuss recovery at all. One mentioned that not going to failure means you don't have to recover... but this is bollocks, and if this was the case you'd be able to train the same body parts every single day with no downside just by stopping one rep before failure.

Leeness

Oh god, starting to panic, gained more weight. I've gone from 150.8 to 153.2 since Sunday. Actually having a panic attack right now.

3phemeral

I've got a full bodyweight routine that I use. If I can take bands with me then all the better for my options.

Get a resistance tube like this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...s&recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_5_1053 , with the handles.

You can do SO much, in addition to pushup variations, pullups, crunches, weightless squats, etc. without the tube.

Ah, thanks. I'm always afraid of bands because I had one rip and slap me in my head and these were supposedly high quality ones. Thinking about it now, though, they were a few years old and I used to keep them in my trunk with Southern California heat so maybe that wasn't a good idea at all. After work, I'll shop around for some since I leave this Saturday.

I've been having major issues with that the last two weeks but I've been having little ones the last three or four days :(

Are you taking fiber or psyllium husk to help? Psyllium husk is rather good at what it does.

BumRush

Ah, thanks. I'm always afraid of bands because I had one rip and slap me in my head and these were supposedly high quality ones. Thinking about it now, though, they were a few years old and I used to keep them in my trunk with Southern California heat so maybe that wasn't a good idea at all. After work, I'll shop around for some since I leave this Saturday.

Yeah, I've been using mine for 3-4 years now and it comes with me every time I pack a suitcase. If there's a pole where you are you can do some great back and chest exercises too. Damn, sometimes I even work it into my normal routines.

Leeness

Are you taking fiber or psyllium husk to help? Psyllium husk is rather good at what it does.

Just started the last day or so.

I'm freaking out though, this isn't right. I don't understand. 19lbs lost since May 12, now suddenly I've gained 3 back and like...I don't understand.

If it worries you, there are versions with a solid core which are basically unbreakable... well, unless you're Brolic, but you know... who is?

3phemeral

Yeah, I've been using mine for 3-4 years now and it comes with me every time I pack a suitcase. If there's a pole where you are you can do some great back and chest exercises too. Damn, sometimes I even work it into my normal routines.

If it worries you, there are versions with a solid core which are basically unbreakable... well, unless you're Brolic, but you know... who is?

Yeah, I had an old coworker/friend who got incredibly fit after a few months and I asked him what he was up to and he responded that he just used bands. That's when I picked mine up. Time to pick up some bands.

Just started the last day or so.

I'm freaking out though, this isn't right. I don't understand. 19lbs lost since May 12, now suddenly I've gained 3 back and like...I don't understand.

Don't get discouraged. Just reassess your situation. Other posters have recently gone through a similar situation (I don't know about the poops, though), so read back a few pages because there was some good advice.

Take it 3 times a day if you're having issues. My partner, who's a 4th year med student, recommended that I take it as it's the safest laxative of its kind due to how it operates in the colon. I take one dose with Creatine as the flavors mesh up well but they also have flavorless ones you can mix into other things. Only problem is that you have to drink it quick or it expands into a sludge.

Leeness

Don't get discouraged. Just reassess your situation. Other posters have recently gone through a similar situation (I don't know about the poops, though), so read back a few pages because there was some good advice.

Take it 3 times a day if you're having issues. My partner, who's a 4th year med student, recommended that I take it as it's the safest laxative of its kind due to how it operates in the colon. I take one dose with Creatine as the flavors mesh up well but they also have flavorless ones you can mix into other things. Only problem is that you have to drink it quick or it expands into a sludge.

Yeah, just started Metamucil, and I've also been taking about five different laxatives because I had gone for about 12 or 13 days with nothing... :( Going to stop eating prunes though because they have a lot of sugar and maybe that's one of the reasons behind this crazy weight gain.

I dunno. All I know is I want to cry right now.

Could be water weight.

I don't know. I'm still a week out from my period so it shouldn't be that... :(

3phemeral

Yeah, just started Metamucil, and I've also been taking about five different laxatives because I had gone for about 12 or 13 days with nothing... :( Going to stop eating prunes though because they have a lot of sugar and maybe that's one of the reasons behind this crazy weight gain.

I dunno. All I know is I want to cry right now.

I don't know. I'm still a week out from my period so it shouldn't be that... :(

I'd say if you're truly sticking to your diet and workout goals, don't worry too much. I had a month where I gained like 15 pounds (seriously, dat pizza tho) from being sick and eating improperly. Wanted to lose it quick but was afraid to lose muscle mass by doing unhealthy calorie restrictions. Decided to stick with my program like people here recommended and eventually implemented intermittent fasting into my routine and it's been slow, but it's worked out.

I would hover around 178-175, but mostly staying consistently around 176.4-178.6 (weird to be that exact, but that's what it was). Even though I stayed around the same weight, I started fitting in smaller clothes and just fitting my clothes better. I'm currently hovering around 175 on the high end and although my initial goal was to get down to 160, I've made good progress this way, so I'm going to stick with it to see where I end up. It's simultaneously weird/great knowing that normally at this weight, my clothes would be uncomfortably tight.

Leeness

I'd say if you're truly sticking to your diet and workout goals, don't worry too much. I had a month where I gained like 15 pounds (seriously, dat pizza tho) from being sick and eating improperly. Wanted to lose it quick but was afraid to lose muscle mass by doing unhealthy calorie restrictions. Decided to stick with my program like people here recommended and eventually implemented intermittent fasting into my routine and it's been slow, but it's worked out.

I would hover around 178-175, but mostly staying consistently around 176.4-178.6 (weird to be that exact, but that's what it was). Even though I stayed around the same weight, I started fitting in smaller clothes and just fitting my clothes better. I'm currently hovering around 175 on the high end and although my initial goal was to get down to 160, I've made good progress this way, so I'm going to stick with it to see where I end up. It's simultaneously weird/great knowing that normally at this weight, my clothes would be uncomfortably tight.

I'm paying huge amounts of money to lose weight because it's the only way I can, so...this is really really really bad. :/

Going to cut out any salt and soy sauce and half my fruit intake I think, and maybe take out a serving of protein and see if it gets moving again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom