• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I'm paying huge amounts of money to lose weight because it's the only way I can, so...this is really really really bad. :/

Going to cut out any salt and soy sauce and half my fruit intake I think, and maybe take out a serving of protein and see if it gets moving again.

Yeah, I don't know what your diet situation is like but I've been absolutely ruthless with using MyFitnessPal for practically everything I eat. I couldn't yesterday because I went to an Asian buffet for lunch with friends but I mitigated the damage by forgoing all carbs and sticking to the veggies and meats since they were already heavily sauced. I don't know if intermittent fasting is right for you but it's worked out for me (although day 1 and day 2 were incredibly tough fighting those hunger pangs), make sure you have lots of water/green tea on hand.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing exactly to reach your goals?

Ventara

Is it possible to get a stomach ache from getting punched (medium gently) in the stomach? During Muay Thai class, we paired up and practiced working the abs. Being the noob that I am, I failed to defend anything and took everything straight to the gut. Right afterwards, I had a mild stomach ache and it got worse when I got home. Pooped a bit and had to lie down for 2 hours. I haven't eaten anything weird recently either, and it's been a while since I have had a stomach ache. We've done this exercise before, but the instructor wanted us to pair with people of similar height, so I got this girl who did not go easy on me at all and was pretty good. She was still punching gently, but hard gently. I'm just wondering if it was caused by that or if it was just a coincidence, because that was kinda painful and wasted 2 of my hours, so I'd like to avoid it.

Leeness

That's not the only thing that could make you retain water.

Yeah I know... Which is why I'm cutting salt/soy sauce again.

Yeah, I don't know what your diet situation is like but I've been absolutely ruthless with using MyFitnessPal for practically everything I eat. I couldn't yesterday because I went to an Asian buffet for lunch with friends but I mitigated the damage by forgoing all carbs and sticking to the veggies and meats since they were already heavily sauced. I don't know if intermittent fasting is right for you but it's worked out for me (although day 1 and day 2 were incredibly tough fighting those hunger pangs), make sure you have lots of water/green tea on hand.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing exactly to reach your goals?

Very low calorie diet and B6/B12 shots 3 times a week. Stopped taking the B6/12 right now though because I don't want to waste my money retreading the same weight over and over but I apparently can't do it on my own.

Seriously, I am alternating between needing a paper bag to breathe right now and trying not to cry.

Ventara

No, you're going to die... sorry. =/

Well, I obviously know you're joking, but I assume the "no" is true? I guess one of the foods I ate was off. It was just plain roast chicken and rice and pizza (vegetarian, very basic toppings). Good to know I don't have to wuss out if I'm paired with her again.

3phemeral

Very low calorie diet and B6/B12 shots 3 times a week. Stopped taking the B6/12 right now though because I don't want to waste my money retreading the same weight over and over but I apparently can't do it on my own.

Seriously, I am alternating between needing a paper bag to breathe right now and trying not to cry.

It's a slow process if you want to keep it a habit and maintain a certain size without resorting to unhealthy methods. Is your calorie intake too low and are you starving yourself? Are you also doing anything else other than restricting those calories (like exercise)? We can often be impatient about what we want versus what the realistic goal is for getting there. It is a life change, after all.

I've never heard of b6/12 supplements for assisting weight loss, though, or is it for b6/12 deficiency? And do you use MyFitmessPal + have a food scale?

Well, I obviously know you're joking, but I assume the "no" is true? I guess one of the foods I ate was off. It was just plain roast chicken and rice and pizza (vegetarian, very basic toppings). Good to know I don't have to wuss out if I'm paired with her again.

Even if it wasn't, you were doing core related work which would explain some soreness, and I suppose if she hit you when you weren't ready you could have bruised your stomach a bit...

Dude, she's going to FUUUUUUCK you up next time. She can smell weakness.

Leeness

It's a slow process if you want to keep it a habit and maintain a certain size without resorting to unhealthy methods. Is your calorie intake too low and are you starving yourself? Are you also doing anything else other than restricting those calories (like exercise)? We can often be impatient about what we want versus what the realistic goal is for getting there. It is a life change, after all.

I've never heard of b6/12 supplements for assisting weight loss, though, or is it for b6/12 deficiency? And do you use MyFitmessPal + have a food scale?

Calories are fine. I have been losing without exercise until now but I guess I have to add it back in.

Deficiency and helps with hunger/energy levels.

Using MFP and a food scale, yes.

Azulsky

I am trying to lose my last 50 lbs or so, and most of the exercise I do is just walking.

Is there a limit to how many hours I should be walking a day? I started off with 1 hour a day, but thinking of going to 2 or 3, but friends keep telling me I will destroy my joints. (I am a tall/big guy... so a lot of weight).

Should I be fine upping it? I might consider alternative exercise, but I cannot think of any cardio that isn't hard on the lower body.

The thing with cardio is that something light like walking your body will adapt to perfectly well and you end up like me where what used to be fast is now pretty liesurely unless you do something like a weight vest(dont) or its blistering hot outside. By adapting your HR doesnt get nearly as high and you have to really up your time and distance investment if you keep the speed the same. I dont get to triple digits walking anymore, and i dont run because I save my knees for squat day. Still walk for enjoyment on the weekends, it certainly is better than sitting.

Swimming, Cycling, Elliptical(I prefer those fancy Precor AMTs) are the best joint safe cardio.

Swimming is one taxing mfer, nuff said. You can do steady state(with intensity) with this no one gets so good at swimming to the point that its not effective.

Cycling is great to do HIIT. I have a few fast tempo songs that I will use to stay at 140+bpm then take a few minutes at low resistance before spooling up again. 30 minutes of this and you have torched yourself more than 2 hours doing normal paced cycling.

Ellipticals are fun because you get the full walking body motion but they save your joints. Im tall(6'5") so only the fancy ones let me get full range of motion.

I dont get treadmills those people just have allergies or something. :p

I actually joined my gym for access to knee safe cardio stuff, totally worth it.

Szu

Is it possible to get a stomach ache from getting punched (medium gently) in the stomach? During Muay Thai class, we paired up and practiced working the abs. Being the noob that I am, I failed to defend anything and took everything straight to the gut. Right afterwards, I had a mild stomach ache and it got worse when I got home. Pooped a bit and had to lie down for 2 hours. I haven't eaten anything weird recently either, and it's been a while since I have had a stomach ache. We've done this exercise before, but the instructor wanted us to pair with people of similar height, so I got this girl who did not go easy on me at all and was pretty good. She was still punching gently, but hard gently. I'm just wondering if it was caused by that or if it was just a coincidence, because that was kinda painful and wasted 2 of my hours, so I'd like to avoid it.

Next time, don't fight Muay Thai girls. They're vicious.
Lz0hsMZ.gif

Seriously, I don't think the stomach ache is a direct result of the gut punches.

I think you are really over thinking what is happening right now, the weight gain is most likely from constipation if you solve that problem your weight should normalize. Just take a couple of days off from looking at the scale, the number is helping you freak out and not helping your state of mind.

Leeness

I think you are really over thinking what is happening right now, the weight gain is most likely from constipation if you solve that problem your weight should normalize. Just take a couple of days off from looking at the scale, the number is helping you freak out and not helping your state of mind.

I have (partly) solved the constipation. I think.

I don't know, but crying at work right now.

I've said it before, but you need to get on top of the psychological side of this with whatever help is available to you. Stress is the second biggest enemy of fat loss, and you're a walking bundle of it.

Yeah it would be good for her long term health to just relax a couple of days, mentally she is too fixed on the scale number more then anything. Just stick with the diet for a few days and take a couple days of from weighting yourself.

Leeness

I've said it before, but you need to get on top of the psychological side of this with whatever help is available to you. Stress is the second biggest enemy of fat loss, and you're a walking bundle of it.

I'm only stressing because it stopped working. I was so happy the last few weeks, it's been going so well.

I'm never going to be "mentally fit" when it comes to my weight/appearance and I'm okay with that, if it keeps me motivated.

Yeah it would be good for her long term health to just relax a couple of days, mentally she is so fixed on the scale number then anything. Just stick with the diet for a few days and take a couple days of from weighting yourself.

I can't because I need to make sure this doesn't continue. :/

Related, it's clear that the whole "paying for progress" thing has now increased the pressure to succeed to unmanageable levels. It must be genuinely fucking terrifying to step on the scale every day.

Edit - It's IMPOSSIBLE to have continual progress. One day, be it today, or next week, or in a month from now, all of us will step on the scale and it'll have gone in the wrong direction. You could be eating Soylent Green measured to the microgram and it could still happen.

Ventara

Even if it wasn't, you were doing core related work which would explain some soreness, and I suppose if she hit you when you weren't ready you could have bruised your stomach a bit...

Dude, she's going to FUUUUUUCK you up next time. She can smell weakness.

Next time, don't fight Muay Thai girls. They're vicious.
Lz0hsMZ.gif

Seriously, I don't think the stomach ache is a direct result of the gut punches.

Yeah, I wasn't really defending too well. I tried tightening my abs, but they're so soft anyways and it's hard to move around like that. And she really was vicious. Every time I stepped back to catch my breath, she stepped forward to hurl 10 speed punches. And she was bending forward and crouching to punch better, when the instructor told us not to do that. Anyways, I'll try to stand beside the weak guys next time.

And yeah, hopefully gut punching wasn't the main cause of the stomach ache. I do want to get better at the classes, so I don't want to wuss out of some the exercises.

Of course you can get a stomach ache from being punched in the gut. lol.

It was internal pain like a normal bad stomach ache, though. My outside was completely fine. But I guess with a soft stomach like mine, things were probably jostled around inside.

Related, it's clear that the whole "paying for progress" thing has now increased the pressure to succeed to unmanageable levels. It must be genuinely fucking terrifying to step on the scale every day.

Edit - It's IMPOSSIBLE to have continual progress. One day, be it today, or next week, or in a month from now, all of us will step on the scale and it'll have gone in the wrong direction. You could be eating Soylent Green measured to the microgram and it could still happen.

Yeah, your life would be just a cycle of trying to maintain a goal weight that you will have no time for anything else that might affect your weight. It is not a fun life.

Leeness

Yep, it is terrifying. But it's the only thing that works for me. :( Money is motivating me not to cheat, etc. And it was working just fine.

Yeah, your life would be just a cycle of trying to maintain a goal weight that you will have no time for anything else that might affect your weight. It is not a fun life.

I don't need a fun life. Maintaining weight can be a full time job lol.

I know you guys have it easy to lose weight. It's a constant, constant struggle for me, so you need to understand that. I can't just "lift and eat less", that doesn't work. This works. Or it was. But now my body is resisting again and the struggle begins once more.

I know you guys have it easy to lose weight. It's a constant, constant struggle for me, so you need to understand that. I can't just "lift and eat less", that doesn't work. This works. Or it was. But now my body is resisting again and the struggle begins once more.

Yeah, now see that's just massively insulting to those here who have worked literally years and decades to stay on top of their weight issues. There are people here that literally eat the same thing every single day because they're so worried about going back to where they came from. Others work to the point of ripping their bodies apart and destroying their vertebrae because they can't face returning to obesity.

I know it wasn't your intent to diminish, but everyone here struggles in their own way.

Edit - Oh, and don't dismiss psychological help so quickly. I'm not suggesting that you be happy with how you look... who the hell is? It's clear that you've got some real psychological issues that are getting in the way of your progress though, and they can be fixed (or if not, certainly alleviated).

Yep, it is terrifying. But it's the only thing that works for me. :( Money is motivating me not to cheat, etc. And it was working just fine.

I don't need a fun life. Maintaining weight can be a full time job lol.

lol easy time losing weight, it was a 2 year struggle for me plus I am still trying to get to 190 (at 195). Everyone hits a wall when it comes to weight loss, you can't just over analyze your body when you do hit a wall.

Leeness

Yeah, now see that's just massively insulting to those here who have worked literally years and decades to stay on top of their weight issues. There are people here that literally eat the same thing every single day because they're so worried about going back to where they came from. Others work to the point of ripping their bodies apart and destroying their vertebrae because they can't face returning to obesity.

I know it wasn't your intent to diminish, but everyone here struggles in their own way.

Edit - Oh, and don't dismiss psychological help so quickly. I'm not suggesting that you be happy with how you look... who the hell is? It's clear that you've got some real psychological issues that are getting in the way of your progress though, and they can be fixed (or if not, certainly alleviated).

No, I know, I'm sorry. I know it's hard for everyone.

I'm sorry, I'm just freaking out. Even outside help doesn't seem to help me. Like...what is wrong with me then, you know? It's not thyroid. I work out. I watch calories. I am INCREDIBLY strict with my diet. I am in ketosis. I am having medical professionals monitor me 3 times a week. And I still gain weight? What is wrong with me? It's just mortifying and embarrassing and frankly disgusting.

lol easy time losing weight, it was a 2 year struggle for me plus I am still trying to get to 190 (at 195). Everyone hits a wall when it comes to weight loss, you can't just over analyze your body when you do hit a wall.

I'm sorry. See above. It just feels like I'm more than hitting a wall and it's scaring me and making me sick. Like I'm starting to feel nauseous.

I am having medical professionals monitor me 3 times a week. And I still gain weight? What is wrong with me?

I'm sure they'll be giving you feedback on this latest step and adjusting accordingly. Maybe just assume they know what they're doing, put it out of your head and see what happens next.

Leeness

I'm sure they'll be giving you feedback on this latest step and adjusting accordingly. Maybe just assume they know what they're doing, put it out of your head and see what happens next.

Well...I'm stopping going until I get back to where I was (150.8) because I'm spending so much, I don't want to spend the money on the same couple of pounds over and over again.

Theoretically I should be able to do it on my own by following the diet...but I'm crashing and burning.

3phemeral

Yeah, the psychological aspect is a tough one. I usually just breathe and remind myself that it's not about how quickly I lose the weight, but that I'm making a change for the better that doesn't just impact how I look, but I feel long term. It takes a while to condition yourself to make good habits permanent ones but when you do get there, that's one less thing contributing to decision-making fatigue so you can focus on other things.

Mr. X

Maybe it's cause my legs are still a bit sore but Im only deadlift 3x5 the same weight I squat 5x5.

That cant be right...

Ok, lets talk about pants.

I've been losing weight and now need size 30. My legs are kinda toned, but are not swole by any means, most of you have bigger legs. Yet size 30 jeans are very tight on my thighs and outline my crotch too much. I have yet to try relaxed fits because it is somewhat hard to find that style in size 30, so do you guys recommend any brand or style of pants and jeans that fit the waist without squeezing your junk and legs?

Mr. X

I've been losing weight and now need size 30. My legs are kinda toned, but are not swole by any means, most of you have bigger legs. Yet size 30 jeans are very tight on my thighs and outline my crotch too much. I have yet to try relaxed fits because it is somewhat hard to find that style in size 30, so do you guys recommend any brand or style of pants and jeans that fit the waist without squeezing your junk and legs?
Go up a size buy a belt.

ILoveBish

I had to try 5 different size 34 pants before I found one that fit over my quads. And now my pants are loose, could go 33 probably, but just the thought of finding pants that will fit my quads scares me. Going to be trying out a lotta pants.

Likely will get to a point where I'll have to give up jeans and switch to slacks full time and get them fitted.

Ventara

Embrace tight pants and become a chick magnet. Wear with a loose white shirt for the kill.

On a more serious note, I'm a 30 and I wear 32-34 jeans with a belt. It looks good on me, imo. I bought them from American Eagle, Guess, Diesel and other common brand names. If you still have trouble, then you probably do have really big thighs. In that case, find yourself some pleated pants. They look great and professional.

Starting to run into that problem when buying bibshorts for cycling. Can get them in all sorts of waist sizes for sure (especially crazy slim), but it seems cyclists don't have chests to speak of.

ILoveBish

Starting to run into that problem when buying bibshorts for cycling. Can get them in all sorts of waist sizes for sure (especially crazy slim), but it seems cyclists don't have chests to speak of.

Of course, haven't you seen the zyzz comic, cardio kills gainz. It's just a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom