• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Five guys lettuce wrap is literal godsend after a 16hr fast.

Azulsky

It's basically impossible but in the week or so I've been eating more, not even that much more, maybe at 3400-3900 calories a day, and I've gained 8.4lbs lol. I swear my body sucks. The only thing it does well is pack on muscle quick, everything else it sucks for.

I really want to stop and go back to cutting but I want to finish up this 531 session, all I have is deadlift and bench 1s week left.

Once I'm back cutting, I don't see myself taking another week long break till likely next year.

You aren't accounting for the actual added mass of the food in your GI tract from eating that much. Same thing happens to me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My favorite thing about IF so far:

I love eating large portions. With IF each of my meals feels like a "man's meal". The fasting period almost slips my mind.
That's what I love about it too! Sounds like you are very close to becoming a permanent member of FastingGaf! I also wanted to mentioned that you don't have to kill yourself on weekends or on special occasions. I usually fast for shorter periods on weekends because, well, life happens. On those days I keep my calories normal and I'm fine. Don't beat yourself up if you go a few days without fasting. It doesn't matter in the long run.

BumRush

That's what I love about it too! Sounds like you are very close to becoming a permanent member of FastingGaf! I also wanted to mentioned that you don't have to kill yourself on weekends or on special occasions. I usually fast for shorter periods on weekends because, well, life happens. On those days I keep my calories normal and I'm fine. Don't beat yourself up if you go a few days without fasting. It doesn't matter in the long run.

Absolutely. I'm not that kind of guy. I'll do it until a situation arises where it'd be uncomfortable doing it (going out to eat, special occasions, etc.). Otherwise, I'm a card carrying member.

Cooter

Absolutely. I'm not that kind of guy. I'll do it until a situation arises where it'd be uncomfortable doing it (going out to eat, special occasions, etc.). Otherwise, I'm a card carrying member.
Brothas from anotha motha!

____

Sidenote, after that massive meal I went up to 182.4. Big deal!

ILoveBish

You've been having almost 4,000 cals a day though, Bish. What'd you expect to happen? Probably more salt with the food (guessing those calories aren't all that healthy) so you're retaining more water too.

It's all clean food. The thought of eating processed food has me gagging now. And weighing 230ish pounds, having quite a bit of muscle, my base number to stay even should be pretty high. The salt might be real tho.

I wouldn't feel too bad. Some of us don't even get the quick muscle thing, just the quick fat. =/

Yah, as usual, it could be worse.

You aren't accounting for the actual added mass of the food in your GI tract from eating that much. Same thing happens to me.

Yes, this is actually interesting. I noticed that going out is quite volumous. I'm not concerned much with the gain, I know I'll lose it within 2 weeks or so. Just the mental part of it all. I expect by Wednesday or Thursday, I'll be back on the cut.

Azulsky

I'm considering jumping on the milk train for getting extra calories, past 2200ish at least.

I think I have gamed my brain into liking eating less and it isn't relenting. Mental part of this sux.

Plus less food prep.

Ventara

So recently, I've been thinking of eating most of my calorie intake in the morning (like 1500/2700) calories. I've noticed that I eat better in the morning and I feel good then, despite having a hard time pulling myself out of bed. I don't feel bloated after eating, which is great. I've also contemplated maybe waking up early to do a bit of exercise on parts that I want to improve. So I was thinking a small breakfast > workout > big breakfast. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, right?

One other thing; I'm thinking that I want to bulk up a bit. I chose to maintain my weight because I figured I'd lose the fat and put on muscle, so it'd balance out, but that's not really panning out. I look pretty much the same, and I want to put on a bit more muscle (specifically the chest/shoulder area). But I'm concerned that I'll end up putting on more fat instead of muscle. I knows it varies by person, but can any of you guys give me a general idea of how much weight I should look to put on in a week, and how much I should look to workout? Also, I've been doing pretty well maintaining my calories intake, but I find I always go over on fat, while I usually don't meet the carb/protein intake goals. Should I start to be more careful around there? I'm currently doing 50/30/20 for carbs/fat/protein. I'm male, 25, 5'10" and 160 pounds.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh also, my biceps grew from 12.2 inches to 13 inches over the past 3 months. One more and I'll match Brad Pitt in Fight Club. ::D

Any before pics for comparison?

Here's what I looked like when I started. I really wish I took more of them. I'm sure there's some more some where in my family album or whatever, just gotta dig for em.

Keep going with the bulk. You don't have that much fat on you, despite what you think. Keep going with the eating/lifting big until you put on some hefty muscle.

Alright then!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, how do you guys survive on keto? I've been on it for only 2 days but damn. I'm doing IF alongside it and without carbs I get wicked headaches and hunger like I've never felt before. What sort of snacks do you guys use to help with this? I assume something with a lot of fat to curb the hunger.

What are you actually eating and when?

Were you doing IF before? If not, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to introduce two major diet changes at once.

ILoveBish

What are you actually eating and when?

Were you doing IF before? If not, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to introduce two major diet changes at once.

Agreed. Slowly transition step by step. But some people like to go balls out right away. It took me years to fully transition to being fully keto adapted and fasting 23 hours a day. Slow progress that got easier over time. Now I just want that everyday, it sucks eating so much and so often.

Weekends I don't fast as much depending on what's going on tho.

sphinx

the piano man
so There's debate whether "a calorie is a calorie" or whether the source matters.

I believe the later. what do you guys think???

if the source matters, then clean bulk is a thing that exists. and by clean bulk I mean freaking CLEAN. there's plenty of shit that people consider ok that does not fit in a clean bulk. You are going to stuff your gut with a ton of chicken, eggs, protein shakes, veggies, some rice or sweet potatoes, tuna/fish. I'd believe that taking the easy road filling macros with pizza or even "ok" things like pasta bolognese will send anyone down that road.

my experience with food in these last years tells me so but I am not sure cause I don't have any scientific data to back it up.

where does everyone here stand?

Sadetar

I am on a slave camp at my parent's place. I was "cutting the grass" for about four hours which basicly means that I tried to clean the jungle on our yard. Nobody had cut the grass this year yet. That better count as a workout.

Brothas from anotha motha!
Can I be your long lost little sister?

A couple chest flys, a few decline presses and a sweeter happy trail and you're there
Oh my, the sweeter happy trail part totally got me. :p

so There's debate whether "a calorie is a calorie" or whether the source matters.

if the source matters, then clean bulk is a thing that exists. and by clean bulk I mean freaking CLEAN. there's plenty of shit that people consider ok that does not fit in a clean bulk. You are going to stuff your gut with a ton of chicken, eggs, protein shakes, veggies, some rice or sweet potatoes, tuna/fish. I'd believe that taking the easy road filling macros with pizza or even "ok" things like pasta bolognese will send anyone down that road.

my experience with food in these last years tells me so but I am not sure cause I don't have any scientific data to back it up.

I do believe that the source matters. At least I feel bloated after certain foods even if I would be eating less calories compared to some other sources of energy.

mdsfx

The source matters enough for macros to be a huge consideration for any of your goals. It's not like you can get ripped eating ramen noodles and cheese its. After all, what would your body even build/sustain muscle with?

I think it depends how deep we go into this. Chicken vs pork? Animal fat vs healthy oils?

iddqd

Does anyone have tips or a good video on the SUMO DEADLIFT?

I want to try something different for a month, see how it feels.
July will be the month of going Sumo and doing Box Squats.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, I'm always talking about this in the various nutrition threads, but in terms of human physiology, there is simply no reasonable expectation that all food stuffs would behave in the same way upon ingestion, which is the underlying logic behind the "a calorie is a calorie" theory. The statement itself is obviously true--a calorie is nothing but a calorie, of course, but it doesn't say anything about how our bodies actually break down and use the food we eat.

It's not like you can get ripped eating ramen noodles and cheese its. After all, what would your body even build/sustain muscle with?

That sounds like a terrible diet, but there's a lot of protein in cheese, you know?

Animal fat vs healthy oils?

That's what we call a false dilemma right there!

Azulsky

Goal dependent.

If you are trying to gain or lose weight solely then calories are calories.

You trying do something performance oriented then macros matter big time. I always pass this image along to those who ask me this question. From The Renaissance Diet

3aBBy7D.png

ILoveBish

Felt beastly today, no surprise that gym went really well today. Only one more day left for this 1s week then it's back to cutting.

Got 5x335, 3x380, 1x425 on deadlift, everything went up easy and felt so good.

I've decided that next week since I'm taking my deload week, I'm going to take the last plunge. Going to start training fasted. I've been waiting a long time to make this last change, and I feel like it's now proper to attempt it. I'm now wondering if I should get some bcaa or just go in raw....

entremet

Fasting is great. It's so damn convenient. I remember when I was on the six meal per day train years ago. Such a PITA.

Food and supplement companies use the good food vs. bad food angle to market their products to you.

They want you to believe that good foods are the source of health, wellness, and beauty. While bad foods lead to sickness, and general discomfort.

But no matter what your diet, no matter what your goals, no one food has the power to make or break your results. It's your overall diet and lifestyle that's going to determine your destiny.

That's why people harp so much on the calories in/calories out. Newbies get so wrapped up in the minutiae, they tend to lose grasp of the basic important principles.

leakey

Cracked 155 lb bench and 210 squat today. Can't wait to DL tomorrow. Gonna try to hit 5 reps of 285. Ate a lot of sliders
and drank some chardonnay
at a work function, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Beyond getting your macros roughly right (i.e. not all fat / carbs / protein), I don't think it matters too much at all unless you take it to extremes and start looking at things with a GI in the single figures vs in the high 90s.

I've known way too many people get ripped as fuck eating all sort of shit but watching their calories to believe that you have to eat clean to get results.

However, things like satiety and hunger are another story entirely, but I'm looking at this from a perspective of a person that doesn't struggle to control what they eat.

yogloo

Oh also, my biceps grew from 12.2 inches to 13 inches over the past 3 months. One more and I'll match Brad Pitt in Fight Club. ::D

Here's what I looked like when I started. I really wish I took more of them. I'm sure there's some more some where in my family album or whatever, just gotta dig for em.

Alright then!

Amazing progress!!

Szu

Alright then!

Oh man, dude, that's horrible. How could you let that happen?

Clean your mirror.

The progress is great, though.

mkenyon

Banned
My favorite thing about IF so far:

I love eating large portions. With IF each of my meals feels like a "man's meal". The fasting period almost slips my mind.
This, so much. After years of 1300-1700 cals a day, switching to IF @ 2500 calories felt like a total splurge.

Leeness

Oh my non-gym week wont' be until the following week. This week I have been hitting the gym like a good girl. :D

At the moment I am maintaining my intake with the meds since there is some small symtoms back and I will call about them on Monday and see what they think. We will see will I need to get the dosage back up, but I hope I can just take the meds down for good as soon as possible.

Good for you for finding an explanation for the weight gain - even if 3 pounds is nothing in my books. Also great weight loss this far! Fantastic job! If you think the supervising is helping you, go for it. Like you already know there isn't any quick fixes so it is good that you are already thinking about maintaining the weight. Hahah, I am a bit jealous, you are already way under my goal weight. Good for you! How low are you planning to go?

Ohh, okay. We'll make sure you take it easy, in and out of gym.

The curse continues lol. Swore I would start today...someone asks me to stay at work OT for like two hours lmao. Only just got home, dinner, bed. Hahaha. I'm starting tomorrow, no matter what. Will do day 1 tomorrow and day 2 on Wednesday and continue from there.

Good luck with the meds, I hope you can keep them down! :)

Back up again by 1.4lbs this morning, but I'm pretty sure it's just going to fluctuate all week, what with the BC pill being off, period on and off, etc. lol. All crazy. Whatever. I know what's going on now.

If I can get to 135, I will be a happy, happy camper. They put my goal at 115-125 according to BMI, but I don't think that low would look great on me, so I'm shooting for 135. :)

entremet

When someone says a "split" program or routine, what does that mean?

Exercises different body parts in different sessions.

So Chest and Back one day, Legs, another, Arms and Shoulder another.

The thing is split routines are pretty horrible for novice trainees. You're better off doing a full body routine, like the programs in the OT, where you're hitting all your main body parts per session.

As you advance, you can do splits to emphasizing lagging body parts, if aesthetics are important to you. I personally add these to end of my full body workouts.

It also depends on your temperament. If split routines are more fun for you and thus you can be more consistent, find a good split routine. As a beginner, if you want to do a split, I'd recommend an upper/lower spit at the most.

The body is very adaptable. You will not overtrain training full body 3x per week.

I'd say Fit-GAF regulars mostly due splits these days, though. But many here are pretty advanced as well.

I will be full body till the day I die.

ILoveBish

Look amazing coot!

I made walnut milk today with the vitamix, ill be trying it proper tomorrow but results were great. I even got a nut milk bag to not have to attempt this with cheese cloth again lol.

Cooter

Look amazing coot!

I made walnut milk today with the vitamix, ill be trying it proper tomorrow but results were great. I even got a nut milk bag to not have to attempt this with cheese cloth again lol.
Thanks Bish. You made walnut milk? Damn, don't think I'll ever go down that road.

ILoveBish

Thanks Bish. You made walnut milk? Damn, don't think I'll ever go down that road.

As time goes on, the thought of processed food really makes me feel ill, even drinking store bought almond milk kinda bums me out. So now i'm just going to make my own since i'll know exactly whats in it. I am taking things much farther then needed, but thats usually how i do stuff.

Super hyped to get started with fasted working out next week, kinda scared. Made the call to not even bother with BCAAs, i think with how i eat, i can do this easily with just whole foods.

Hi all,

I've got a quick question. I'm thinking about doing the beginner program in the OP but also using the intermittent fasting technique for my meals.

Does it matter when my food intake window is relative to the time I workout? I get free food at my job and it's kind of ridiculous to turn it down (also awkward cause everyone eats around each other).

Nelo Ice

Banned
So was at the gym tonight on my 5/3/1 week and saw deadlift form guy again. For reference he criticized my deadlift form then just walked away a few months ago. He deadlifted and his form looked liked he had had to dodge the bar with his knees every time along with not touching the ground. That and he was benching with the smith and curling in the squat rack.

Made me feel better since now I'm wondering why this guy bothered me when he curls in the squat rack and his deadlift form looks terrible.

Besides that, it was OHP day and it went pretty well. Pressed 80lbs/90lbs/100lbs(5x) for my 5/3/1 set.

SeanR1221

Slightly tweaked my back doing a 5x5 of deadlifts at 285+bands.

It doesn't hurt to sit or walk or anything but pressing on the area is definitely tender.

Think it might be a good idea to take another day of rest before doing banded squats....

BumRush

Hi all,

I've got a quick question. I'm thinking about doing the beginner program in the OP but also using the intermittent fasting technique for my meals.

Does it matter when my food intake window is relative to the time I workout? I get free food at my job and it's kind of ridiculous to turn it down (also awkward cause everyone eats around each other).

If you don't eat after working out you'll be doing your body a disservice.

Looking great Coot!! How old is your son?

BumRush

So recently, I've been thinking of eating most of my calorie intake in the morning (like 1500/2700) calories. I've noticed that I eat better in the morning and I feel good then, despite having a hard time pulling myself out of bed. I don't feel bloated after eating, which is great. I've also contemplated maybe waking up early to do a bit of exercise on parts that I want to improve. So I was thinking a small breakfast > workout > big breakfast. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, right?

One other thing; I'm thinking that I want to bulk up a bit. I chose to maintain my weight because I figured I'd lose the fat and put on muscle, so it'd balance out, but that's not really panning out. I look pretty much the same, and I want to put on a bit more muscle (specifically the chest/shoulder area). But I'm concerned that I'll end up putting on more fat instead of muscle. I knows it varies by person, but can any of you guys give me a general idea of how much weight I should look to put on in a week, and how much I should look to workout? Also, I've been doing pretty well maintaining my calories intake, but I find I always go over on fat, while I usually don't meet the carb/protein intake goals. Should I start to be more careful around there? I'm currently doing 50/30/20 for carbs/fat/protein. I'm male, 25, 5'10" and 160 pounds.

At 5'10", 160 I'd just focus on eating right and working out hard. Is there a reason you haven't tried one of the workouts in the OP? You should be focused on 4-5 days a week of lifting. Also, what are you eating that you're going over in fat and not able to meet your 50% carb and 20% protein macros? What's a typically day for you, food-wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom