• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You have him working out at all? Playing sports?
He's not working out besides the occasional pull ups and push ups. He's planning on playing basketball this season but we will see. I don't push them into sports. If they want to play they can.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friends, I'm considering going vegetarian. I love the taste of meat but it's not worth it to me, and it's the focus of a lot of internal struggle that I have. I want to give it up, but I also don't want to lose all its benefits.

Is anyone here vegetarian, and can offer your perspective? Not interested in the whole "no meat? but its so good!" argument, it's an ethical thing inside that I'm struggling with, so you can't really...affect me.

I just want to know personal anecdotes about maintaining and gaining muscle without relying on animals.

BumRush

Friends, I'm considering going vegetarian. I love the taste of meat but it's not worth it to me, and it's the focus of a lot of internal struggle that I have. I want to give it up, but I also don't want to lose all its benefits.

Is anyone here vegetarian, and can offer your perspective? Not interested in the whole "no meat? but its so good!" argument, it's an ethical thing inside that I'm struggling with, so you can't really...affect me.

I just want to know personal anecdotes about maintaining and gaining muscle without relying on animals.

I'm literally the opposite of a vegetarian, so I'd be no help. Wife wants to do "meatless Mondays" which is a major source of struggle for me. Best of luck, Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm literally the opposite of a vegetarian, so I'd be no help. Wife wants to do "meatless Mondays" which is a major source of struggle for me. Best of luck, Vince.

I get the feeling I won't be able to convert, but I want to soothe my spirit. A big problem for people lifting, most of the time, is that we don't do what a lot of veggie converts do at the start - replace meats with junk ass food like candy bars. I would honestly really prefer to go vegan but that feels impossible. Just insanely impossible.

entremet

Not vegan correct?

Dairy will be your best friend. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and so on.

You can also do eggs and rice protein powders. Avoid soy based ones.

Oysters are also great. They're sustainable and have no nervous system, so they're consumed by some vegetarians. Canned smoked ones are cheap and tasty.

Other than that, you should be fine.

If you went full vegan, I'd have different recommendations. You'd need way more supplementation due to the deficiencies you develop on that diet.

It's still possible going full vegan, but don't you hate eating too much carbs? There are beans, but they also have a huge carbohydrate content.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not vegan correct?

Dairy will be your best friend. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and so on.

You can also do eggs and rice protein powders. Avoid soy based ones.

Oysters are also great. They're sustainable and have no nervous system, so they're consumed by some vegetarians. Canned smoked ones are cheap and tasty.

Other than that, you should be fine.

If you went full vegan, I'd have different recommendations. You'd need way more supplementation due to the deficiencies you develop on that diet.

Thanks. Sounds like "rely on the shit you've been doing except for the meat" which kinda sucks for variety's sake, BUT, there's not a million options. Interesting info about oysters, I don't think I've ever eaten one in my life. I live in the midwest so I might be getting junk-ass oysters since we don't have any serious bodies of water nearby.

I never did look into rice protein powder, I should do that. Fuck soy!

Thanks again.

Talk to Team Jones Vinnie. He is one and ripped!

Ah, I forgot he was. And yeah he's goddamned shredded.

Szu

Slightly tweaked my back doing a 5x5 of deadlifts at 285+bands.

It doesn't hurt to sit or walk or anything but pressing on the area is definitely tender.

Think it might be a good idea to take another day of rest before doing banded squats....

Agreed, take it easy. Enjoy the summer.

BumRush

Slightly tweaked my back doing a 5x5 of deadlifts at 285+bands.

It doesn't hurt to sit or walk or anything but pressing on the area is definitely tender.

Think it might be a good idea to take another day of rest before doing banded squats....

Go get a massage and take a couple of days off. You've been going hard lately, a break may do you well!

The body is very adaptable. You will not overtrain training full body 3x per week.
Well, maybe it depends on your age. I'm 42. My legs got overtrained doing Starting Strength when I got up to 250 on squats. Legs were just sore all the time and making no gains. Switched to 5/3/1 a few months back and I just squatted 325 for 2 this morning. Squatting on Tuesdays and DLing on Fridays instead of squatting 3x a week and DLing every other workout is making a huge difference for me.

bchamba

entremet

Well, maybe it depends on your age. I'm 42. My legs got overtrained doing Starting Strength when I got up to 250 on squats. Legs were just sore all the time and making no gains. Switched to 5/3/1 a few months back and I just squatted 325 for 2 this morning. Squatting on Tuesdays and DLing on Fridays instead of squatting 3x a week and DLing every other workout is making a huge difference for me.

Could be.

I would never deadlift 3x per week as a beginner, though.

The soreness is interesting because when I messed with splits I would get more sore since it was lower frequency and I would hit the legs once hard per week, instead of 3x5.

BumRush

Anyone here get massages at all? These leg DOMS get so ridiculous that I'm considering getting some help to try and get on top of it.

My wife and I bought a massage table and we give each other massages. The more you practice / research the better you get. Also, a very good massage table surprisingly runs $70-$100 USD

My wife and I bought a massage table and we give each other massages. The more you practice / research the better you get. Also, a very good massage table surprisingly runs $70-$100 USD

No one gives each other a full massage on those personal tables. It is like inviting a date over to watch Netflix and eat food. You only watch around 15 minutes of the movie. Then the real show begins.

Szu

He's not working out besides the occasional pull ups and push ups. He's planning on playing basketball this season but we will see. I don't push them into sports. If they want to play they can.

That's great, Cooter. When my son gets older, I like to lead him by example, but I won't force him into anything.

If he chooses to play sports, lift weights, or ninja training, then I be there to support him.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I wish ninja training was a choice back when I was a kid.

So I tried a co-workers pre workout today. Nsane? I took 2 scoops and while I busted shit out today at the gym I'm still hyper as hell. I feel like there's cocaine and adderall in there.

Anyone use it before? Might buy some but stick to 1 scoop

Szu

Yesterday's max effort upper body was 1 inch board press using benchblokz. 315 moved pretty fast and I probably should have been able to get 325 but I failed it about half way up, didn't have the energy to grind it out. I'll be testing my competition bench in about 3 weeks, confident that I'll finally hit 3 plates.

full 315 clip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jsfqe1mum8SXVaVXJSTDV6MjQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

instagram lulz version
https://instagram.com/p/4ibQQFDi0Z

I had no idea what to expect before opening the lulz version. After witnessing it, I know that gay marriage won't cause the apocalypse, but I'm pretty sure that video editing is a sign of the end times.

Sweet lift, though.

bchamba

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I feel like banded work has the highest chance of throwing off your lift. A slight shift in the band position during the lift can put you off balance.

Definitely. I've had my right arm move forward like 3 inches during a banded deadlift.

lol thanks szu

Cooter

That's great, Cooter. When my son gets older, I like to lead him by example, but I won't force him into anything.

If he chooses to play sports, lift weights, or ninja training, then I be there to support him.
I grew up playing baseball with kids who didn't want to be there but their dad made them play. I always felt bad for them. I will never be that parent. I expect good grades along with a responsible, respectful, and self aware child. If you hit all those go do whatever it is you enjoy!

BumRush

No one gives each other a full massage on those personal tables. It is like inviting a date over to watch Netflix and eat food. You only watch around 15 minutes of the movie. Then the real show begins.

Yeah, no one said I bought it strictly for massage purposes...

BumRush

I grew up playing baseball with kids who didn't want to be there but their dad made them play. I always felt bad for them. I will never be that parent. I expect good grades along with a responsible, respectful, and self aware child. If you hit all those go do whatever it is you enjoy!

Damn, dude...great parenting. Lucky kids. My daughter is much younger (11 mos.) but the above are some words to live and raise kids by.

bchamba

I don't get massages but I make sure to use my triggerpoint foam roller for 20-30 minutes every other day or else my body does not feel right.

Cooter

Damn, dude...great parenting. Lucky kids. My daughter is much younger (11 mos.) but the above are some words to live and raise kids by.
Appreciate it Bum. There is nothing in life I think about more or care about more than being the best parent I can be. I could talk for hours about the subject. I've always been keenly aware of life's briefness and I can think of no better way to live my remaining years than being surrounded by a nice loving family. So I do my best to ensure that future. :)

manfestival

so I just want to say, this past weekend I ran into a bunch of people that I have not seen in a few months or longer. EVERYONE had the same reaction when they saw me. They all could not believe how much weight I had lost and I heard on a few occasions that part of me went missing. This is such a great feeling to have so many people acknowledge all of my hard work. It has fueled my most recent workouts even more since I want to work even harder to get to my next goal since I have reached my initial goal(actually came by pretty quickly!). It has also been like 6-7 years since I last went out in public without a shirt because I have always been so self conscious and with low self esteem. On Sunday, I broke that bad streak and felt great about myself.

Just felt like sharing my experience from this past weekend. I started working out on February 23rd and have not stopped since then.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
so I just want to say, this past weekend I ran into a bunch of people that I have not seen in a few months or longer. EVERYONE had the same reaction when they saw me. They all could not believe how much weight I had lost and I heard on a few occasions that part of me went missing. This is such a great feeling to have so many people acknowledge all of my hard work. It has fueled my most recent workouts even more since I want to work even harder to get to my next goal since I have reached my initial goal(actually came by pretty quickly!). It has also been like 6-7 years since I last went out in public without a shirt because I have always been so self conscious and with low self esteem. On Sunday, I broke that bad streak and felt great about myself.

Just felt like sharing my experience from this past weekend. I started working out on February 23rd and have not stopped since then.

That's it! Keep going! The best reward right there. Badass!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Congrats dude. It's feels amazing when all that hard work in the gym finally pays off.

Szu

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Pancakes

Found a good place to do glute hamraises at work. Jesus christ I can barely do 1 it's so difficult T_T.

Pancakes

what are you using to hold you in place? I can't even find somewhere in my gym to do them effectively.

On of the work tables has a mini shelf on the bottom that holds my ankles down and has a roller chair mat that cushions my knees.

There are plenty of creative ways to do them I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WW6GKk0cY (Bookshelf)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xSDFVCg2DM (Smith machine with barbell)

Not as good as the actual machine ones but beggars can't be choosers.

BumRush

Appreciate it Bum. There is nothing in life I think about more or care about more than being the best parent I can be. I could talk for hours about the subject. I've always been keenly aware of life's briefness and I can think of no better way to live my remaining years than being surrounded by a nice loving family. So I do my best to ensure that future. :)

Again, I hope all the parents and future parents read this.

Since my daughter was born, my priorities have shifted SO drastically. Not just because it's the right thing to do, but holy hell, being a dad is awesome.

Cooter

Again, I hope all the parents and future parents read this.

Since my daughter was born, my priorities have shifted SO drastically. Not just because it's the right thing to do, but holy hell, being a dad is awesome.

With this I'll end the thread derail. Sorry guys. Just wanted to say it only gets more rewarding in the coming years. Enjoy it.

Progress pic time.

2-24-15 @220

6-25-15 @179

Sorry I am late to this but incredible progress Coot.

Yin yin. Hurray!!!

I hit a new PR in power clean/OHP at 165 lbs.

Here was the whole breakdown of today's process:

45x5, 65x5, 95x5, 135x5, 155x1, 160x1, and finally 165x1

I also tried 170. I did a decent power clean, but I failed at the press.

Finished the routine off with 3 sets of single power cleans and 5 OHP at 135.

Funny thing happened during my second set at the end of the routine. A newbie came up to me and said he wanted to see my workout. I think he probably thought I was doing DL. When I cleaned and pressed it, he said "wow, ok" and walked away. Yeah, he didn't expect that.

Did some shoulder raises and tricep kickbacks to finish the night.

Here are the vids.

135x5
http://youtu.be/NaumcoHI7Gs

http://youtu.be/35QlOh0iSSQ

http://youtu.be/Oe0CrSrHtHQ

http://youtu.be/wdVqfY8YTjU

170 Press Fail
http://youtu.be/xMRuqGinaO4

Single Power Clean & OHP 135x5
http://youtu.be/n8d0x1QANS8

Lordy. Its so amazing getting to see progress like this. You damn ninja Szu

almost the same thing

almost :p

Your getting there man. Your wide shoulders are going to make you look superior to even your role model bro

I'm thinking....bulking in the summer might be better than winter. Hear me out on this....winter is hibernation mode. Too cold to go out and drink so it's much easier to focus on getting shredded to hell and back. Summer rolls around and there are social activities all the time to take part in.

So say you start your bulk June 1st from 9% body fat. By late Auguest depending on how hard you bulked you can be at 12/13% all while livin the good life.

Brb no worries about drinking and having fun
Brb enjoy good food and BBQs

sphinx

the piano man
So say you start your bulk June 1st from 9% body fat. By late Auguest depending on how hard you bulked you can be at 12/13% all while livin the good life.

I said damn, 13% BF is the best I've ever achieved and that took me an insane amount of cardio and caloric deficit.

9% would be for me "somebody throw me a burger!, I am dying!" territory.

you guys are amazing.

Are people mostly guesstimating when they get down to those levels? I used to have access to a DEXA scanner (for free), but I'm sure as hell not paying for regular scans.

Sadly calliper based measuring ends up being miles off for me... at least vs DEXA, and obviously BIA is garbage.

Now that my shoulder is pretty much healed I am trying a new workout/diet routine that is supposed to be a ridiculous muscle gainer while maintaining a lean BF%.

I'm about 5 days into it and it just might be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom