• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What do you guys wager is my bodyfat percentage here?

12% seem accurate?

iUwOJ8D6efpYn.JPG

Dude, are you just effing with me? Did I mention that story on here a few OTs back?? It's like we lived the same exact day 5 years ago in Kauai.

He's a bit taller than I am and he has the sweetest women's superman sweats ever, but otherwise, yeah.

Haha those are some badass pants.
No joke I have never heard you tell that story before. I actually lost my first wedding ring from it I was trying to swim so hard and like a prideful ass I never called for help even though my friends were all just sitting on the beach. There was one moment where I honestly thought there was no way I could make it back cause everytime I would thrash against the current I would look up and be farther away.

BumRush

Haha those are some badass pants.
No joke I have never heard you tell that story before. I actually lost my first wedding ring from it I was trying to swim so hard and like a prideful ass I never called for help even though my friends were all just sitting on the beach. There was one moment where I honestly thought there was no way I could make it back cause everytime I would thrash against the current I would look up and be farther away.

I'm thoroughly freaked out...too similar. I jumped with some random local surfers that said they've done it a few times and it's amazing. Just when I thought I didn't have enough gas left in the tank I said to one of the dudes "hey man, I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I may need some help if this goes on much longer" and he burst out laughing and said "put your feet down we've reached shore". It was a good 15 minutes of fighting the riptide. Never again.

Note to self: pool swimming in NY does not make you a Hawaiian surfer

Hai guise, I'm gonna start Starting Strength soon. I'm skinny fat at the moment and have always been skinny and stickly. I am aware that I just need to up my calorie intake (cheaply) to see results so I'm interested in a variation of the GOMAD diet. I won't down a gallon right away, but just add a glass after every other meal or so. Paleo or some variation of it is a little too expensive for me. Milk is cheap and portable. There is just one big problem though: I'm lactose intolerant. I love milk so drinking it wouldn't be a problem but I'm wondering if I can take lactase supplements to help me with the milk digestion. I also read about pro-biotics specific to digesting milk. Do these work? If so, what brands or forms do you guys recommend (capsules, chewables, etc?).

And since we are on topic, I have another question. I love bicycling and hiking (I love going to Runyon Canyon here in LA) and was wondering what recommendations are there to integrate that into my strength training. I really hope I do not have to stop. Or maybe if I do, I hope it's not for long and I can use these to 'cut' later down the road.

Thanks!

Psycho, has overtraining ever been an issue for you? Reason I ask is because I could NEVER in a million years cycle half as much as you and attempt DL or Squat PRs. Maybe as you get older your body needs more breaks??

It's quite possible to be honest. I never have an issue with anything other than my legs though, which is obviously strange given they're the most exercised part of my body. I appreciate that results in a "yes, but that means they're getting less time to rest", but I get the DOMS two days after leg day, regular as clockwork, and it doesn't matter what I do the day before (or on the day, after I've done the leg work). Back before my injury I had got the DOMS down to 3 days... but I've never had it last less.

I've tried stretching, long walks, hard exercise right after, light exercise right after (and both on the next day), complete rest, baths, ice, ibuprofen. The only thing I've not tried yet is professional massage, which is looking more and more tempting.

entremet

Hai guise, I'm gonna start Starting Strength soon. I'm skinny fat at the moment and have always been skinny and stickly. I am aware that I just need to up my calorie intake (cheaply) to see results so I'm interested in a variation of the GOMAD diet. I won't down a gallon right away, but just add a glass after every other meal or so. Paleo or some variation of it is a little too expensive for me. Milk is cheap and portable. There is just one big problem though: I'm lactose intolerant. I love milk so drinking it wouldn't be a problem but I'm wondering if I can take lactase supplements to help me with the milk digestion. I also read about pro-biotics specific to digesting milk. Do these work? If so, what brands or forms do you guys recommend (capsules, chewables, etc?).

And since we are on topic, I have another question. I love bicycling and hiking (I love going to Runyon Canyon here in LA) and was wondering what recommendations are there to integrate that into my strength training. I really hope I do not have to stop. Or maybe if I do, I hope it's not for long and I can use these to 'cut' later down the road.

Thanks!

Do you like the taste of Lactaid? That could work.

You can do Starting Strength and cardio, just make sure to eat enough. So no, you should not quit your other actives, just eat more, especially more protein.

Do you like the taste of Lactaid? That could work.

You can do Starting Strength and cardio, just make sure to eat enough. So no, you should not quit your other actives, just eat more, especially more protein.

Yes, I actually do like Lactaid. The only issue is cost. Are lactase pills a good substitute?

And good to know about the cardio.

I'm thoroughly freaked out...too similar. I jumped with some random local surfers that said they've done it a few times and it's amazing. Just when I thought I didn't have enough gas left in the tank I said to one of the dudes "hey man, I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I may need some help if this goes on much longer" and he burst out laughing and said "put your feet down we've reached shore". It was a good 15 minutes of fighting the riptide. Never again.

Note to self: pool swimming in NY does not make you a Hawaiian surfer

True that my man.
Yeah how eerie two very similar situations. On what side of the island were you on?

The Chef

This is only 10 days after the last shot.
I weigh 4lbs more and I have a lower BF% so its working so far but I just have to see how quickly I plateau.

Tanadds10.jpg

So far I am impressed.

Also the a tan adds 10lbs.

Good lord Bruce that is insane 0_o

Your chest does look quite a bit bigger from the other pic but it lacks the flash of fashion.

entremet

Yes, I actually do like Lactaid. The only issue is cost. Are lactase pills a good substitute?

And good to know about the cardio.

Not sure. I'm actually not lactose intolerant, I just like prefer the taste of Lactaid.

Goats milk is another option, but it tends to be pricey.

ILoveBish

Nothing a little
a lot
of caffeine can't fix.

Went great, although I think I did a bit too much volume for my first time. About 80% through i kinda ran out of steam. That and I didn't have a drop of coffee till my meal after. Overall I'd count it a success and look forward to next week.

Nux09

Neo Member
Hey FitGaf. First post here, been lurking for a while. Looking to get some advice on what to do next, but first a little background info. I'm 26, 6'1", current weight is 163 lbs, down from about 240 early last year when I started working out again after too many years off. I probably have a similar story to many people; I was fairly active in high school, even did some weight training, mostly just random body part splits and mostly using dumbbells, but some barbell work too. Then I started an office job, stopped working out and the pounds piled on. I spent most of the past year cutting, at first just doing lots of cardio and cleaning up my diet. I added weight training soon after and was able to get down to about 180 lbs in April, but then kind of plateaued. Eventually I ordered a kitchen scale and starting using MFP to track my calories around mid May which got me to my current weight.

My plan was to continue cutting until the end of August, but I feel like I'm getting too skinny and although I'm not quite as lean as I'd hoped to be, I think it's time to start a slow bulk now. I've read Starting Strength, and Practical Programming up until the Intermediate chapter begins. I'm looking to start a Novice linear program, probably this coming Monday, and I think I've narrowed it down to either Starting Strength or Phraks Grey Skull LP. I'm kind of hesitant to do power cleans, just because I don't feel like I'll be able to do them with proper form, which is a major factor that's keeping me from just doing SS. I like the idea of doing AMRAP for the last set under the Grey Skull program, but I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on strength/ muscle gains by doing bent over rows in the Grey Skull program versus doing power cleans in SS. So I guess my first question is how important do you guys feel power cleans are? My goal right now is mostly to increase my strength and add size to my legs, but long term I think I care more about hypertrophy than strength gains.

I'll be aiming to gain between half a pound to one pound per week. MFP has my caloric goal set to just under 2500 calories to gain half a pound per week, so I'm thinking I'll eat just over that on most days, and then on the three workout days I'll go a bit higher and kind of evaluate how that goes for the first little while. Does that seem like a good idea or do you think I'd benefit by eating more overall? I want to limit fat gain as much as possible so I think I'm fine with going for a slower bulk for now, but maybe I'll change my mind once I actually start. Well this post is longer than I expected so I'll stop here for now.

BumRush

Nux, you already have a really solid foundation dude. Nice work.

I'm on mobile so I can't comment on everything right now, but I'm a huge proponent of power cleans. I treat them like the 5th compound to be honest. Like anything else with SS you'll start off light to get the form down. Of course, form check videos are a FitGAF specialty, so post if you want to make sure you've got it down.

entremet

Hey FitGaf. First post here, been lurking for a while. Looking to get some advice on what to do next, but first a little background info. I'm 26, 6'1", current weight is 163 lbs, down from about 240 early last year when I started working out again after too many years off. I probably have a similar story to many people; I was fairly active in high school, even did some weight training, mostly just random body part splits and using mostly dumbbells, but some barbell work too. Then I started an office job, stopped working out and watched the pounds pile on. I spent most of the past year cutting, at first just doing lots of cardio and cleaning up my diet. I added weight training soon after and was able to get down to about 180 lbs in April of this year, but then kind of plateaued. Eventually I ordered a kitchen scale and starting using MFP to track my calories around mid May which got me to my current weight.

My plan was to continue cutting until the end of August, but I feel like I'm getting too skinny and although I'm not quite as lean as I'd hoped to be, I think it's time to start a slow bulk now. I've read Starting Strength and Practical Programming up until the Intermediate chapter begins. I'm looking to start a Novice linear program, probably this coming Monday, and I think I've narrowed it down to either Starting Strength or Phraks Grey Skull LP. I'm kind of hesitant to do power cleans, just because I don't feel like I'll be able to do them with proper form, which is a major factor that's keeping me from just doing SS. I like the idea of doing AMRAP for the last set under the Grey Skull program, but I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on strength/ muscle gains by doing bent over rows in the Grey Skull program versus doing power cleans in SS. So I guess my first question is how important do you guys feel power cleans are? My goal right now is mostly to increase my strength and add size to my legs, but long term I think I care more about hypertrophy than strength gains.

I'll be aiming to gain between half a pound to one pound per week. MFP has my caloric goal set to just under 2500 calories to gain half a pound per week, so I'm thinking I'll eat just over that on most days, and then on the three workout days I'll go even a bit higher and kind of evaluate how that goes for the first little while. Does that seem like a good idea or do you think I'd benefit by eating more overall? I want to limit fat gain as much as possible so I think I'm fine with going for a slower bulk for now, but maybe I'll change my mind once I actually start. Well this post is longer than I expected so I'll just stop here for now. I'll post a few progress pictures, but probably only leave them up for a day or so. The before picture is me at about 215 lbs and the after was taken yesterday at ~165 lbs. Unfortunately I didn't take progress pictures all the way through. I think I'll be taking pictures and measurements on a regular basis when I start my bulk, but not sure how often yet.

http://i.imgur.com/heTc5XV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BmlyTeK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fWeqfkS.jpg

Looking good.

Cleans are really nice for building mass.

My best results was bulking for a whole year. I did gain some fat, but I put on muscle like no other stretch.

I just just forgot about getting a six pack and had my best year outside noob gains.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dunno why the previous image just disappeared, but here it is again:

vZaukCN.jpg

So yeah, 12-15% bodyfat percentage seems like a fair estimate, yes?

Currently at the gym, waiting for the non smith machine squat rack to be open. Things like this makes me wish my schools gym was better equipped.

New here.

I recently made a thread about not being able to do push ups. I got a pair of dumbbells. My arms and chest were very sore the day after I first used them. They're 8lbs. Hopefully I'll be able to do a push up one of these days.

BumRush

New here.

I recently made a thread about not being able to do push ups. I got a pair of dumbbells. My arms and chest were very sore the day after I first used them. They're 8lbs. Hopefully I'll be able to do a push up one of these days.

I don't know where to start. Is there a reason your goal is to do one pushup? What are your broader goals? Give us more information, I'd love to help!

I remember your thread. Can you do knee push ups?

Start with those and progress to the standard push ups.

Do you have gym access?

I was doing them in the counter.

Like I said in the thread, going to the gym is extremely hard for me. I know it's all on me, but I'm too self conscious to go to the gym.

So far, working out on my own and changing my habits seems to be working.

Do you have gym access? Have you addressed your diet? How much do you want to lose? By when? Come on man...details.

I'm at about 225, I want to get to around 130-140. By when, I'm not sure, but I've been losing at least 1 kilo per week. So far I've lost a bit over 30 pounds.

Like I said, I don't feel comfortable going to the gym, but I don't really have close access to one anyways.

entremet

I'm at about 225, I want to get to around 130-140. By when, I'm not sure, but I've been losing at least 1 kilo per week. So far I've lost a bit over 30 pounds.

How tall are you? Are you male or female?

130 sounds very light for a male.

Keep up the good work by the way.

If you wanna continue to do bodyweight exercises, you can try bodyweight squats, and negative chin ups--starting from the top and lowering--and work on improving your strength on your pushups.

BumRush

Like I said, I don't feel comfortable going to the gym, but I don't really have close access to one anyways.

K, nice. As entrement said, bodyweight exercises would be a good place to start for you. WAY more importantly, you need to address your diet. There's a great calorie website that's in the OTs first page. Check it out. Also, cardio. Start slow and set weekly goals to do more. Remember it's a marathon, so don't get discouraged if it takes a year. You'll be healthy physically and mentally.

entremet

K, nice. As entrement said, bodyweight exercises would be a good place to start for you. WAY more importantly, you need to address your diet. There's a great calorie website that's in the OTs first page. Check it out. Also, cardio. Start slow and set weekly goals to do more. Remember it's a marathon, so don't get discouraged if it takes a year. You'll be healthy physically and mentally.

Yeah. And stay active in this thread. We will rub off on you ;P

You'll be overcoming your gym fears in no time.

I'm aware it's a marathon, and I've familiarized myself with healthy eating habits. That part hasn't been that difficult. Luckily I'm never been into sodas, sweets, or stuff like that.

Your description is basically what I've been doing. I started jogging at home (I have space) and I've been walking on the treadmill. At first the jogging was difficult and painful (I neglected my body too much in the past), but it has gotten better. Occasionally my feet will hurt but I give it some rest and go on. It's become more confortable as I've lost weight.

I've struggled with obesity most of my life. A while back, I managed to lose weight and was doing great, but eventually I fell back in depression and gained it back and then some. I'd like to think I'm aware of the reasons why that happened as to not repeat it.

Getting antsy as fuck about this rest day. Don't like having rest days when cutting. BRO, I'M LOSING ALL MY GAINZZZZ. (and I had fuck all to start with)

It can still count as a rest day if I do hundreds of reps of bodyweight stuff right? Right?!?

Annoyingly it's going to be two rest days in a row as I'll be at the allotment all day tomorrow. On the bright side, it's sort of physical work, but unless I decide to randomly dig the whole thing up, it wont be heavy work.

Do I even lift bro?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Getting antsy as fuck about this rest day. Don't like having rest days when cutting. BRO, I'M LOSING ALL MY GAINZZZZ. (and I had fuck all to start with)

It can still count as a rest day if I do hundreds of reps of bodyweight stuff right? Right?!?

Annoyingly it's going to be two rest days in a row as I'll be at the allotment all day tomorrow. On the bright side, it's sort of physical work, but unless I decide to randomly dig the whole thing up, it wont be heavy work.

Do I even lift bro?

Rest day?? Where is this rest muscle and how do I train it?

BumRush

I'm aware it's a marathon, and I've familiarized myself with healthy eating habits. That part hasn't been that difficult. Luckily I'm never been into sodas, sweets, or stuff like that.

Your description is basically what I've been doing. I started jogging at home (I have space) and I've been walking on the treadmill. At first the jogging was difficult and painful (I neglected my body too much in the past), but it has gotten better. Occasionally my feet will hurt but I give it some rest and go on. It's become more confortable as I've lost weight.

I've struggled with obesity most of my life. A while back, I managed to lose weight and was doing great, but eventually I fell back in depression and gained it back and then some. I'd like to think I'm aware of the reasons why that happened as to not repeat it.

Good to hear man. Best of luck!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Today I did 5x2 of 145lbs for power cleans, definitely PR territory.

I also did decide to switch for at least a while to Dumbbells for press and bench press, just ordered some Valeo wrist weights to micro load. Excited to see which Dumbbells I can bench on Sunday.

God I hate low carb days when cutting. Feels like all I eat is protein. I just about managed to have some nuts at least, which sort of broke up the monotony a bit.

Used most of my carb allowance on Total and blueberries.

Matugi

Dunno why the previous image just disappeared, but here it is again:

vZaukCN.jpg

So yeah, 12-15% bodyfat percentage seems like a fair estimate, yes?

I'd say closer to 15% than 12%. 3% is a very wide range; that's 6 lbs of pure fat on a 200lb person, or 5.4 lbs on a 180 lb person.

X-Frame

This details a bunch of push up progression exercises, and the site in general is pretty good for learning about various bodyweight options.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/push-up-progression.html

Personally, I don't particularly like knee push-up variations as a training tool to progress to regular, full push-ups.

I'd rather recommend starting with Incline Push-Ups. If someone has access to a gym, they can use the Smith Machine to find a good height and then drop the bar as they get stronger. Incline Push-Ups will still allow the user to maintain a straight plank from head to feet; squeezing the glutes and bracing the core while still getting good shoulder movement.

To do this at home, use stairs if you have them. Your feet at on the floor and then you would start with stair #4 or 5. Then once you can do enough reps comfortably you move your feet back a bit on the floor and drop a step. Rinse and repeat until you're on step #1 and then finally the floor.

You eat cereal?

No.

To do this at home, use stairs if you have them. Your feet at on the floor and then you would start with stair #4 or 5. Then once you can do enough reps comfortably you move your feet back a bit on the floor and drop a step. Rinse and repeat until you're on step #1 and then finally the floor.

This is what I did. Though I couldn't go past step three as my hall isn't wide enough.

Didn't matter though. Once I was able to do 10 or so on the third step I was able to do enough normal pushups to make progress. I still do them from time to time as sort of a superset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom