• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

I was planning on waiting for a sushi cheat with my daughter on Sunday but now I don't know. I'm pretty damn lean right now.

BumRush

Goddammit MTP...you're a legend. 1 point deduction for unwrapping everything all at once.

Coot, sushi cheat days are epic cheat days.

BumRush

Today I did 5x2 of 145lbs for power cleans, definitely PR territory.

I also did decide to switch for at least a while to Dumbbells for press and bench press, just ordered some Valeo wrist weights to micro load. Excited to see which Dumbbells I can bench on Sunday.

Nice work, Joey. Also, I am huge on pause press DB press. Builds the chest like nothing else.

I assume there's not a lot of give in those mats? I tried to do something similar but when I lift now I sink about half an inch into the surface. When I setup my next gym I'm going fully wooden.

Cooter

Goddammit MTP...you're a legend. 1 point deduction for unwrapping everything all at once.

Coot, sushi cheat days are epic cheat days.
Oh I know. It's happening for sure! I can put away major amounts of sushi.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Nice work, Joey. Also, I am huge on pause press DB press. Builds the chest like nothing else.

Thanks. I have a lot of work to do but think I might be getting more efficient on Power Cleans. They're super fun.

It's hard not to pause at the bottom with Dumbbells, got to start that way with rep one anyway (unless you're creative), so I'll give that a try.

BumRush

Thanks. I have a lot of work to do but think I might be getting more efficient on Power Cleans. They're super fun.

It's hard not to pause at the bottom with Dumbbells, got to start that way with rep one anyway (unless you're creative), so I'll give that a try.

Power cleans are amazing, agreed.

I do an exaggerated 3 count on the way down and 4 at the bottom on each rep. It's brutal. Give it a shot. Go lighter than you think you'll need. Rep 8 will make you wish you were a baby again, safe in your mother's loving arms.

Don't know if it was the effects of the low carb day or not, but I ended up getting up twice last night to take a leak.

/old man

Seem to have dropped another lb overnight too.

Related, didn't get many responses last time to this so I'll try again (I appreciate it's probably not the best day to ask):

What sort of weight loss per week do you guys go for when cutting? I'm concious of the fact that I don't want to risk too much muscle loss, but I also don't want to spend the next 4 months on a cut, as I think I'd rather just give up on the aesthetics than go through that.

BumRush

Happy 4th, All. I look forward to hearing about some epic cheat meals today (MTP, I believe you're Canadian, but if you eat anything less than a live / full cow, I'll be disappointed).

So what do you think about this thing called intermittent fasting?

For over a month I realised that I was skipping breakfast a lot (almost everyday), and wasn't eating until later in the day. I ended up with two big meals for the day, and I wasn't snacking. I wasn't forcing myself to do that, it was just that I wasn't really hungry. So recently I started looking up if it was too dangerous to skip breakfast and read about this thing called intermittent fasting, which sounds very similar to what I've been doing.

Do you think it's dangerous? Should I be eating more often?

Cooter

For over a month I realised that I was skipping breakfast a lot (almost everyday), and wasn't eating until later in the day. I ended up with two big meals for the day, and I wasn't snacking. I wasn't forcing myself to do that, it was just that I wasn't really hungry. So recently I started looking up if it was too dangerous to skip breakfast and read about this thing called intermittent fasting, which sounds very similar to what I've been doing.

You won't find any community in GAF who practices it as much as we do. Strong endorsement!

entremet

It is dangerous?

Not if you have no other major diagnosed conditions. Fasting was a way of life for our ancestors.

Supermarkets and farming are relatively new in terms of our species. Before that we hunted and gathered. We didn't catch food everyday!

It is dangerous?

Not if you have no other major diagnosed conditions. Fasting was a way of life for our ancestors.

Supermarkets and farming are relatively new in terms of our species. Before that we hunted and gathered. We didn't catch food everyday!

Not really.

And It hasn't made me feel ill at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Happy 4th, All. I look forward to hearing about some epic cheat meals today (MTP, I believe you're Canadian, but if you eat anything less than a live / full cow, I'll be disappointed).

Not gonna go bonkers today. At least don't plan to. Believe it's brats, beans and cornbread tonight. Gonna do some event training here in a few and push the prowler.

BumRush

Not gonna go bonkers today. At least don't plan to. Believe it's brats, beans and cornbread tonight. Gonna do some event training here in a few and push the prowler.

I squeezed in an hour and a half of lower body, back and biceps already. My buddies and I do a 4th of July lobster bake every year so I'm going to be pushing my waistband to the limit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I squeezed in an hour and a half of lower body, back and biceps already. My buddies and I do a 4th of July lobster bake every year so I'm going to be pushing my waistband to the limit.

I'm doing log press, yoke walk, sandbag load and pushing prowler later. And a lobster bake sounds glorious.

Going to sound weird but will describe something that hopefully fitgaf can shed some light on for me.

Was doing some general tricep exercises 2 days ago, weights and what not. Yesterday I started feeling uncomfortable in my left arm. Not any real pain or anything but similar to that feeling of hitting your funny bone, elbow to half way upper arm. Never happened before and is just annoying since I feel it when I move a certain way.

Just wondering if its something to wait or if there is a faster way to make it go away. Yes its better than the first day, just want to know incase it happens again.

X-Frame

I've been doing this for 3 years and will never go back to eating breakfast. Never. It has been the single biggest change for me in terms of diet since I started getting into the Health & Fitness lifestyle in 2004.

Also since I remember you asking about push-ups, someone made this video on How To Do (and Progress) Push-Ups and it is a perfect video. I'd recommend checking it out.

Cooter

Progress thread is going up in the OT today or tomorrow boys and girls. I'll link of course but be on the lookout.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does anyone have any experience with WS4SB?

Looking at the template for the third version and I'm really curious about trying it for a couple months. I love the exercise selections and the four-day upper/lower approach. I'm just worried there aren't enough squats. Maybe I can add high-rep squats into the lower dynamic effort day, I don't know.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm aware it's a marathon, and I've familiarized myself with healthy eating habits. That part hasn't been that difficult. Luckily I'm never been into sodas, sweets, or stuff like that.

Your description is basically what I've been doing. I started jogging at home (I have space) and I've been walking on the treadmill. At first the jogging was difficult and painful (I neglected my body too much in the past), but it has gotten better. Occasionally my feet will hurt but I give it some rest and go on. It's become more confortable as I've lost weight.

I've struggled with obesity most of my life. A while back, I managed to lose weight and was doing great, but eventually I fell back in depression and gained it back and then some. I'd like to think I'm aware of the reasons why that happened as to not repeat it.

I missed this when you posted it, but first off, welcome goddammit welcome.

Now as nice as it will be to do a pushup, your grade A priority should be ditchin that weight, and it sounds like you know this as well.

I do have to ask though, because we need to make sure - it happens to a lot of people so don't be offended, but..

When you say you're familiar with healthy eating habits, can you go into more detail? There was a point in my life (and many others) who believed what we were being told, despite it not actually being healthy or good for us. Thankfully science has shown us all the way, but there's still a lot of old info out there, so I'd like some clarification so just in case you're on a bad path, there's plenty of time to help it or tweak it. And you might be on the absolute right path now anyway, but I'd just like to make sure. Wasting time SUCKS.

Congrats on taking this journey with us, friend. We're here for you. One crazy thing I noticed when I started, and you'll get there with your 8 lb dumbbells as you move forwards, but your goals CAN and WILL be met, and it'll be fucking badass.

I remember sitting under the bar thinking "Goddamn, I'll never be able to bench 150. That's just so incredibly heavy...my body can't ever do it." within a month, I flew past that. Fortunately I've taken well to bench and not so well in other spots, but everyone has their strengths. Keep at it, track your progress, and you'll be goddamned unstoppable. Great to have you here.

BumRush

Going to sound weird but will describe something that hopefully fitgaf can shed some light on for me.

Was doing some general tricep exercises 2 days ago, weights and what not. Yesterday I started feeling uncomfortable in my left arm. Not any real pain or anything but similar to that feeling of hitting your funny bone, elbow to half way upper arm. Never happened before and is just annoying since I feel it when I move a certain way.

Just wondering if its something to wait or if there is a faster way to make it go away. Yes its better than the first day, just want to know incase it happens again.

It's happened to me before from doing close grip BP. Best advice, rest it a bit. Of course if it persists more than a week go see a doctor but (as non professional doctor as you get) you probably just twinged a nerve. Rest, ice, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom