• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing this for 3 years and will never go back to eating breakfast. Never. It has been the single biggest change for me in terms of diet since I started getting into the Health & Fitness lifestyle in 2004.

Also since I remember you asking about push-ups, someone made this video on How To Do (and Progress) Push-Ups and it is a perfect video. I'd recommend checking it out.

Thanks for the info, man!

I missed this when you posted it, but first off, welcome goddammit welcome.

Now as nice as it will be to do a pushup, your grade A priority should be ditchin that weight, and it sounds like you know this as well.

I do have to ask though, because we need to make sure - it happens to a lot of people so don't be offended, but..

When you say you're familiar with healthy eating habits, can you go into more detail? There was a point in my life (and many others) who believed what we were being told, despite it not actually being healthy or good for us. Thankfully science has shown us all the way, but there's still a lot of old info out there, so I'd like some clarification so just in case you're on a bad path, there's plenty of time to help it or tweak it. And you might be on the absolute right path now anyway, but I'd just like to make sure. Wasting time SUCKS.

Congrats on taking this journey with us, friend. We're here for you. One crazy thing I noticed when I started, and you'll get there with your 8 lb dumbbells as you move forwards, but your goals CAN and WILL be met, and it'll be fucking badass.

I remember sitting under the bar thinking "Goddamn, I'll never be able to bench 150. That's just so incredibly heavy...my body can't ever do it." within a month, I flew past that. Fortunately I've taken well to bench and not so well in other spots, but everyone has their strengths. Keep at it, track your progress, and you'll be goddamned unstoppable. Great to have you here.

Thanks!

I'll go into more detail then, advice is welcome. As you say, doing the push ups will be nice, but my main goal is to lose the weight, and if I manage to do the push ups in the proccess I'll take that as a victory.

About my eating habits.I've basically ditched proccessed foods. Like I said before, leaving them hasn't really been difficult for me; even when I was at my biggest my drinks were water and green tea with no sugar (because I hate tea with sugar), and I didn't eat much proccessed stuff. I got to the weight I did because I barely moved around and ate huge portions. Now, I still eat big portions, but the foods are different. I used to eat a large amount of white rice (I think that was the thing I ate most), and lots of fried (personally cooked) meats. When I was most depressed and at a point that I didn't care, I consumed literally no fruits and vegetables.

Nowadays, I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. As I mentioned above, I've been skipping breakfast, and I haven't felt as hungry as I used to. My breakfast/lunch/afternoon meal is a sort of cereal I make. It's basically a cup of oats (100%), a spoonful (and a half usually) of flaxseed, berries (about a handful), a big slice of pineapple, an apple, and a couple of small bananas. I blend it all, and that's usually my first meal. It leaves me super full and I like how it tastes. I ends up being quite a lot lol. Then I'll work out late in the afternoon (or just after sunset).

My second meal comes usually a bit over an hour after I worked out (I don't work out everyday, but I eat on the same times). This meal may vary a bit, but it's usually 4 o 5 hard boiled eggs, an avocado (the whole thing), boiled chicken (usually a leg and thigh) without skin (if not chicken it might be beef, or liver), a carrot (or two if they're small), spinach, broccoli (about half a broccoli) some garlic. If I eat beef, I'll add lots of onions and tomato, and I'll cook it with water. Now I'm aware it might not sound like the most appetizing thing (I'm no chef :p), but I like it. Myabe I'm doing things wrong, I'm not sure. This type of meal is what I usually eat when I've worked out. If I didn't work out, I'll try to make a salad (I don't use dressing, it's a very basic thing), some eggs with an avocado, and I'll have a cup of sunflower seeds later on.

I usually have some fruit if I want a snack (something like an apple or a banana). I've been adding watermelon too.

Like I said, advice is welcome.

So what do you think about this thing called intermittent fasting?

For over a month I realised that I was skipping breakfast a lot (almost everyday), and wasn't eating until later in the day. I ended up with two big meals for the day, and I wasn't snacking. I wasn't forcing myself to do that, it was just that I wasn't really hungry. So recently I started looking up if it was too dangerous to skip breakfast and read about this thing called intermittent fasting, which sounds very similar to what I've been doing.

Do you think it's dangerous? Should I be eating more often?

Its amazing.
I have been using it just on the weekends after cheat meals and will probably start integrating it into my weekly routines. Keep reading up on it. You have to still meet your required calories you just get them all within a specific timeframe.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Thanks!

I'll go into more detail then, advice is welcome. As you say, doing the push ups will be nice, but my main goal is to lose the weight, and if I manage to do the push ups in the proccess I'll take that as a victory.

About my eating habits.I've basically ditched proccessed foods. Like I said before, leaving them hasn't really been difficult for me; even when I was at my biggest my drinks were water and green tea with no sugar (because I hate tea with sugar), and I didn't eat much proccessed stuff. I got to the weight I did because I barely moved around and ate huge portions. Now, I still eat big portions, but the foods are different. I used to eat a large amount of white rice (I think that was the thing I ate most), and lots of fried (personally cooked) meats. When I was most depressed and at a point that I didn't care, I consumed literally no fruits and vegetables.

Nowadays, I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. As I mentioned above, I've been skipping breakfast, and I haven't felt as hungry as I used to. My breakfast/lunch/afternoon meal is a sort of cereal I make. It's basically a cup of oats (100%), a spoonful (and a half usually) of flaxseed, berries (about a handful), a big slice of pineapple, an apple, and a couple of small bananas. I blend it all, and that's usually my first meal. It leaves me super full and I like how it tastes. I ends up being quite a lot lol. Then I'll work out late in the afternoon (or just after sunset).

My second meal comes usually a bit over an hour after I worked out (I don't work out everyday, but I eat on the same times). This meal may vary a bit, but it's usually 4 o 5 hard boiled eggs, an avocado (the whole thing), boiled chicken (usually a leg and thigh) without skin (if not chicken it might be beef, or liver), a carrot (or two if they're small), spinach, broccoli (about half a broccoli) some garlic. If I eat beef, I'll add lots of onions, and I'll cook it with water. Now I'm aware it might not sound like the most appetizing thing (I'm no chef :p), but I like it. Myabe I'm doing things wrong, I'm not sure. This type of meal is what I usually eat when I've worked out. If I didn't work out, I'll try to make a salad (I don't use dressing, it's a very basic thing), some eggs with an avocado, and I'll have a cup of sunflower seeds later on.

I usually have some fruit if I want a snack (something like an apple or a banana). I've been adding watermelon too.

You're doing everything right. Don't change a thing.

BumRush

Thanks!

My second meal comes usually a bit over an hour after I worked out (I don't work out everyday, but I eat on the same times). This meal may vary a bit, but it's usually 4 o 5 hard boiled eggs, an avocado (the whole thing), boiled chicken (usually a leg and thigh) without skin (if not chicken it might be beef, or liver), a carrot (or two if they're small), spinach, broccoli (about half a broccoli) some garlic. If I eat beef, I'll add lots of onions and tomato, and I'll cook it with water. Now I'm aware it might not sound like the most appetizing thing (I'm no chef :p), but I like it. Myabe I'm doing things wrong, I'm not sure. This type of meal is what I usually eat when I've worked out. If I didn't work out, I'll try to make a salad (I don't use dressing, it's a very basic thing), some eggs with an avocado, and I'll have a cup of sunflower seeds later on.

Very healthy foods, just MIGHT be more calories than you want, personally. Maybe my mind is being tricked by the volume of food but to be safe, why don't you calculate how many calories that is and compare that to what you should be consuming to lose the weight you want?

Very healthy foods, just MIGHT be more calories than you want, personally. Maybe my mind is being tricked by the volume of food but to be safe, why don't you calculate how many calories that is and compare that to what you should be consuming to lose the weight you want?

I've also been doing that (watching the amount of calories it ends up being). I know it is a lot of food :p

I eat the most when I've worked out.

I think it's working becuase my weight loss has been steady.

BumRush

I've also been doing that (watching the amount of calories it ends up being). I know it is a lot of food :p

I eat the most when I've worked out.

I think it's working becuase my weight loss has been steady.

Boom dude. That's a seriously healthy diet. Keep it up. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Leeness

Down to 146.4, though if I'm being fair to the clothes I wear when weighing myself normally, I'm 147.2 haha.

Either way, getting along. 12.2lbs to my goal :') I can do it!

Sadetar, did I miss a reply from you? I don't think I did, but maybe I was scrolling too fast on mobile.

Sadetar

Down to 146.4, though if I'm being fair to the clothes I wear when weighing myself normally, I'm 147.2 haha.

Either way, getting along. 12.2lbs to my goal :') I can do it!

Sadetar, did I miss a reply from you? I don't think I did, but maybe I was scrolling too fast on mobile.
Nah. I am sure you did not. I will reply properly on Monday or Tuesday when I am back home. I hate to type with my phone. :p

I still already need to say that you have done amazing work. Keep it up!

Also great pics from everyone! I am more than thrilled to get back to my laptop to drool a bit more. ;)

Leeness

Nah. I am sure you did not. I will reply properly on Monday or Tuesday when I am back home. I hate to type with my phone. :p

I still already need to say that you have done amazing work. Keep it up!

Also great pics from everyone! I am more than thrilled to get back to my laptop to drool a bit more. ;)

Oh okay <3 Let me know how things are when you get back!

Thank you :') getting there.

BumRush

Here it is:

Z8dIwRE.jpg

I had 2 1.5 lbs lobsters, 4 sausages (2 hot, 2 sweet), at least 2 dozen mussels, at least 2 dozen clams, corn and potatoes...all in butter. Was it worth it? Of course it was fucking worth it.

Cooter

First day in months I've felt like shit. Been battling a sore throat and a general lack of energy for a couple days now. Would have taken off my 6th day of the year of I didn't have sushi cheat day with my daughter scheduled. I hate not lifting on a cheat day. Lord I have problems...

EDIT: Oh, and of course it's weighted pull up day. Two more sets. Here goes nothing. 75x6 and 95x4 can eat it!!!

SeanR1221

Bum that looks phenomenal.

We had a BBQ on Friday and still ate healthy (because my wife was stressing about it). On Saturday I finally got her to say yolo and grab some shake shack that still fit in her calories macros. It was so good and pretty guilt free.

Cooter no worries man. Enjoy. You don't want to have a bad relationship with food and you bust your ass day in and day out.

---

Sort of cross post from the fitness progress thread. For the past month my XL have been a bit too baggy. I've been holding off converting to Ls because I felt uncomfortable in them. My wife finally convinced me and I grabbed 4 polos and 5 v necks from Uniqlo for under 100.00 (happy birthday America!)

I like the fit. I just haven't worn a large in over 2 years

Cooter

Bum that looks phenomenal.

We had a BBQ on Friday and still ate healthy (because my wife was stressing about it). On Saturday I finally got her to say yolo and grab some shake shack that still fit in her calories macros. It was so good and pretty guilt free.

Cooter no worries man. Enjoy. You don't want to have a bad relationship with food and you bust your ass day in and day out.

---

Sort of cross post from the fitness progress thread. For the past month my XL have been a bit too baggy. I've been holding off converting to Ls because I felt uncomfortable in them. My wife finally convinced me and I grabbed 4 polos and 5 v necks from Uniqlo for under 100.00 (happy birthday America!)

I like the fit. I just haven't worn a large in over 2 years

Saw that in the progress thread. What a body recomposition you've went through.

My relationship with food is like to 2 soul mates finding each other. You just want to be together constantly! It's only after a long time together that things calm down a bit.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Here it is:

Z8dIwRE.jpg

I had 2 1.5 lbs lobsters, 4 sausages (2 hot, 2 sweet), at least 2 dozen mussels, at least 2 dozen clams, corn and potatoes...all in butter. Was it worth it? Of course it was fucking worth it.

ALL OF IT INSIDE ME.

Looking solid Sean

Cooter said:
EDIT: Oh, and of course it's weighted pull up day. Two more sets. Here goes nothing. 75x6 and 95x4 can eat it!!!

Damn strong, especially at the end of a cut.

BumRush

Good god. What exactly goes into doing that?

Honestly, just a large pot, a stove (we use an outdoor stove set up to a gas tank), the seafood and a grill for the sausages and corn. Everything gets cooked in the pot. Lobster first, then all of the other seafood, then the potatoes. It's so easy to make all of it, it's criminal.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Honestly, just a large pot, a stove (we use an outdoor stove set up to a gas tank), the seafood and a grill for the sausages and corn. Everything gets cooked in the pot. Lobster first, then all of the other seafood, then the potatoes. It's so easy to make all of it, it's criminal.

Pretty sure I'm doing this next weekend.

theytookourjobz

Sean : looking great. Lg really shows off the guns.
Brolic : every time I watch your videos I miss grungy ass garage lifting. Makes me want to go make some stones.
Bum : that is an epic low country boil.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Best part about it? Without the potatoes it's like a straight injection of protein. My lift today was insanely easy relative to how I usually feel.

Can't wait.
Sean : looking great. Lg really shows off the guns.
Brolic : every time I watch your videos I miss grungy ass garage lifting. Makes me want to go make some stones.
Bum : that is an epic low country boil.

Lol, I love my garage and it will only get better when the rack gets here. I'm honestly worried about winter though.

Ate most of an XL Papa Johns pizza today with a bunch of beers... but it was after 4 hours of fasted mountain biking, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

Leeness

Down one more pound. Let's goooo!

Soon I will be past the weight I lost a few years ago and probably lighter than I've been since I was 13 lol.

Hiz_95

So pumped right now. My deadlift has been stalled for a while now so eariler today I looked through older lifting footage from when I was more confident in the lift and noticed I've widened my grip since then so today I narrowed my grip and loosened my belt one hole so that I was more comfortable at the bottom position and set an unplanned 20 lb PR with a 485 pull.

r6F42Eyl.jpg

Nice one man, that's 5 plates in kg land. It seems like you have more in you based on a 465 3 inch deficit pull.

I would say 15-17%.
I agree

UrAvgGuy

goddamn Bum I open the thread to that gorgeous feast. New promotion at work has had me bussin my ass past couple weeks. Hoping I can finally get back to my usual routine.

Kinda of excited to have set some new PRs this weekend:
165 x1 OHP
405 x2 DL

Weighed in at 159.7

had a really good leg day today. left phone at home. didn't get distracted. just listened to my music. was really working on my hamstring and glutes until i ran out of stuff to drink. lol.

Cooter

goddamn Bum I open the thread to that gorgeous feast. New promotion at work has had me bussin my ass past couple weeks. Hoping I can finally get back to my usual routine.

Kinda of excited to have set some new PRs this weekend:
165 x1 OHP
405 x2 DL

Weighed in at 159.7
Super impressive numbers at that weight!

____

Keep it going Leeness! Positivity!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Reporting in satisfied with my switch to dumbbell bench for the foreseeable future. I was able to do 160x5 paused without pain, not too far off from where I'd be on a bench reset anyway. Hopefully my wrist weights come in this week.

Cooter

Yeah, it's typically written as 80x5 or 80sx5. Unless Joey is benching 160s in which case you are freaking amazing dude!

NateDrake

Anyone have experience with Freeletics fitness routines? Was going to start their cardio & strength 12 Week course next week. Was just looking to see if anyone has any first-hand feedback on it.

I have one bad knee that's been prone to pop out (it's been a few years but still)
I really want to start the beginner workout on the OP but am worried about my knee...

Would keeping my brace on be ok?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Yeah, it's typically written as 80x5 or 80sx5. Unless Joey is benching 160s in which case you are freaking amazing dude!

They are 80 pound Dumbbells. I'll write it that way to conform to norms, though the Reason to eludes me.

What does the s stand for, split?

Szu

Back from my minication in Mass., didn't give a fuck about the amount of food I crammed into me.

Also, I survived eating some lobster. I'm generally allergic to shellfish, but somehow I didn't die.

I checked the scale and I weigh in at 187.8 lbs. Not bad, I felt like was going to break 190.

After one of the all you can eat buffets, I felt like one of the humpback whales that I saw during my whale watching cruise.

Oh well, back to cutting again. I think I can hit sub-180 by the end of the week.

BumRush

On my world, it means hope.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Szu's back! :)

On topic, I'm feeling incredible lately. When you get in a groove and start working out regularly, not working out makes you feel like shit. I feel like John Wick right now, post retirement.

J. Bravo

They are 80 pound Dumbbells. I'll write it that way to conform to norms, though the Reason to eludes me.

What does the s stand for, split?
Just 80s. More than one. Other than you I've never seen anyone total the dumbbells lol. And most fit apps use the individual weights as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom