• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you strong benchers: what would you say is your number one most important mental cue while benching?

I find that I'm not balanced on the bench and lose tightness whenever the weight gets really heavy. I'm thinking my biggest problem is not keeping my feet tucked and locked.

But I've also noticed that cues like "keep your shoulders retracted" and "bend the bar" do nothing but confuse me and make the lift needlessly difficult. I've been overcomplicating the lift for a while now.

I've never been a "strong" bencher. The highest I have ever gotten to is 285 for reps and then 315 for a max.

But that said breathing has always been the only mental cue that makes me feel engaged. As long as I am exhaling at that right moment I am convinced it gives me a surge of energy even though its mostly mental. I completely agree with the retracted and bend the bar visualizations. They have never done anything for me.

A friend of mine swears by the "imagine your pushing yourself into the ground and not the bar away" but it again does nothing for me.

leakey

I always imagine pulling the bar apart when getting my grip, and then maintaining that tension on the vertical movement. That combined with getting my feet set correctly at the start really help my sets. I'm not a heavy lifter though. Five more pounds and I'll be benching my body weight for reps :p

J. Bravo

3,000 Cal with a split around 60/20/20 prioritizes protein.
1000 of those calories at breakfast.
1 Mile sprint 3 hours before bed to spike your metabolism through the night.
Workouts can be whatever you want just at 5 days a week with a total body on the last day.

So if you did:
Mon - Chest/Back
Tue - Shoulder
Wed - Bicep/Tricep
Thurs - Legs
Friday - Chest/Back/Shoulder/Bicep/Tricep as a circuit.

Saturday and Sunday 3000 cal count @ 50/30/20 Prioritizing complex carbs.
1000 of those calories at lunch.
2 Mile sprints 3 hours after breakfast.

Ill see if its legit or not. A friend of mine that is a PT for the 49'ers told me he has been doing it. Normally his routines prioritize strength and size but this is his "beach body" version. I'll let you know if its crap

are you doing 9 1-mile sprints every week?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've never been a "strong" bencher. The highest I have ever gotten to is 285 for reps and then 315 for a max.

But that said breathing has always been the only mental cue that makes me feel engaged. As long as I am exhaling at that right moment I am convinced it gives me a surge of energy even though its mostly mental. I completely agree with the retracted and bend the bar visualizations. They have never done anything for me.

A friend of mine swears by the "imagine your pushing yourself into the ground and not the bar away" but it again does nothing for me.

I've heard of that last one and am curious to try it the next time I'm at the gym. I could imagine it being a useful cue to really use your whole body during the lift.

Rookje

I'm thinking about getting a sandbag to do home workouts in, and was looking at this one...

PWR-Workout-Kit1-600x600.jpg

$125 though.

Friend of mine just got these Rothco bags for $20 and bought his own sand and liners for a DIY. The Rothco bags don't really have those handles on the left and right that the PWR ones have though...

Thoughts?

Matugi

Good ole McDonald's for a cheat meal after 9 holes of golf today. Running my second cycle of Candito's 6 week LP, but using Nick Wright's bench modifications. Sitting at 156 right now but Micky D's probably pushed me back to 157 lok

SeanR1221

I think I have getting rid of water bloat down.

Was 207 before my friends wedding on Saturday.

Sunday morning I was 212

Monday 209

Tuesday 209

Today 207

Tons of water and a couple of super low carb days (less than 100g)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Last time I actually puked not just got nauseous but puked was from Sled Sprints the day after a Squat/Ab combo

I didn't use much weight, don't need much anyways, 25lbs plus sled. I was sprinting a small soccer field 50yrd 5x2 and my quads were already dead before starting. I almost puked a few times and could barely stand as my legs were shaking when I finished.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
New low of 178.2. I be eating tonight! Crazy that it came only three days after a cheat. Hmm...

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Your a bad ass bro

LOL I didn't feel bad ass after, I could barely make it home.

Ooh Coot do yourself a favor and grab a pint of chocolate PB Haagen Daaz

A quick 1300 calorie shot of deliciousness! You must know me because that's one of my go tos. Either that or Caramel Cone!

I'm gonna have some mint fudge icecream in your honor Coots.

I'm around 205lbs right now, BF always drops during summer, but not shredded wheat like you.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's funny how one day every lift feels like crap and you're struggling and then next training session you go beast mode and just crush PRs like nothing. Mentality is a bitch.

BumRush

Bruce, I did night one of sprints. Holy shit, I forgot what it felt like to run a mile that fast (6:30). I'm beat. Next one I'll get down at 6 mins flat.

Also, have you guys not had "Tonight Dough" Ben and Jerry's yet?? banderas.jpg

bchamba

So pumped right now. My deadlift has been stalled for a while now so eariler today I looked through older lifting footage from when I was more confident in the lift and noticed I've widened my grip since then so today I narrowed my grip and loosened my belt one hole so that I was more comfortable at the bottom position and set an unplanned 20 lb PR with a 485 pull.

r6F42Eyl.jpg

It's funny how one day every lift feels like crap and you're struggling and then next training session you go beast mode and just crush PRs like nothing. Mentality is a bitch.

Can you teach me how to do that? These days all of them feel like crap.

That said, I think the "greasing the groove" thing might be helping on pull-ups, which is something.

BumRush

So pumped right now. My deadlift has been stalled for a while now so eariler today I looked through older lifting footage from when I was more confident in the lift and noticed I've widened my grip since then so today I narrowed my grip and loosened my belt one hole so that I was more comfortable at the bottom position and set an unplanned 20 lb PR with a 485 pull.

r6F42Eyl.jpg

Fuck yeah, dude. Nice work.

Cooter

Holy balls! I don't know if it was the psychological placebo of knowing I'm 178 or not but my pull ups were shooting up fast today. I felt like I could have done 8-10 muscle ups in a row if I attempted them.

BumRush

Holy balls! I don't know if it was the psychological placebo of knowing I'm 178 or not but my pull ups were shooting up fast today. I felt like I could have done 8-10 muscle ups in a row if I attempted them.

HAHAHAHA for a second there I thought you said 8-10 muscle ups but then I remembered you're not a cybo--

Oh...wait...

Cooter

HAHAHAHA for a second there I thought you said 8-10 muscle ups but then I remembered you're not a cybo--

Oh...wait...
If I wasn't so worried about tweaking my shoulder I would have given it a go. I definitely had six. Next bw pull up day I'll max out and post the video all up in this beeatch!

Bruce, I did night one of sprints. Holy shit, I forgot what it felt like to run a mile that fast (6:30). I'm beat. Next one I'll get down at 6 mins flat.

Your already at 6:30!
Damn dude that's amazing

r6F42Eyl.jpg

Unbelievable man. Truly amazing strength

jasonng

Alright FitGaf, long time lurker. Been quietly making progress at the gym with this extremely helpful thread but now I'm stumped and I need help.

I keep losing strength when doing deadlifts. I tend to work up to until I hit my peak at 225lbs (3 reps). Some weeks I can muster enough strength, other weeks I barely get 205 off the ground. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I watch immense amounts of videos to ensure my form is good (back always straight, don't lean back too much at top) and while I'm sure it's not perfect I put a lot of time to ensure my form is good enough to avoid injury and strain. I don't have this problem with other compound exercises.

Anyone have a hunch what I'm screwing up with? I don't use a belt. I'm 5'7" and 155lbs if that matters.

Cooter

Alright FitGaf, long time lurker. Been quietly making progress at the gym with this extremely helpful thread but now I'm stumped and I need help.

I keep losing strength when doing deadlifts. I tend to work up to until I hit my peak at 225lbs (3 reps). Some weeks I can muster enough strength, other weeks I barely get 205 off the ground. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I watch immense amounts of videos to ensure my form is good (back always straight, don't lean back too much at top) and while I'm sure it's not perfect I put a lot of time to ensure my form is good enough to avoid injury and strain. I don't have this problem with other compound exercises.

Anyone have a hunch what I'm screwing up with? I don't use a belt. I'm 5'7" and 155lbs if that matters.

How much are you eating? That's usually the culprit.

BumRush

Your already at 6:30!
Damn dude that's amazing

I only do HIIT so transitioning to a flat out 1 mile run wasn't too bad. I'll admit...a couple hours later and I'm still "been in the pool all day" winded. This will be really good for me.

He doesn't post many pics but the guy has like 10 lbs total of body fat. It doesn't surprise me.

Thanks dude. 1st year of fatherhood has been a bit up and down in the fitness department but I'm getting back in a groove. You've been a HUGE help by the way.

i've been sitting with 45# plates for squats for awhile. sometimes i add 35 to it.

was just going to do some pause squats but a guy asked he can join me as i was finishing my first set. just did regular squats since i was too tired anyways lol.

did 2x10 at 135lbs. did 3x4 at 225lbs. i think i'll aim to be consistent with 225lbs. (y)

Cooter

That's still amazing. It took me forever to hit a 6:30
Not saying it's not, only I'm not surprised. I think I could hit 5:15-5:30 with a week of training. That's probably my limit. I hit 8:50 for 1.4 miles last year. I come from a sprinting family. Long distance isn't really our strength.

BumRush

1. Eat more
2. Sleep more
3. Try to mix it up with Stiff Leg DL, Power Cleans, etc.
4. Consider dropping the weight to 70%-75% of your 1 RM and do AMRAP. For me, that's the way I've busted DL plateaus

Cooter

Thanks dude. 1st year of fatherhood has been a bit up and down in the fitness department but I'm getting back in a groove. You've been a HUGE help by the way.
Wow. That felt good. Thanks. Glad I could help in some way.

jasonng

How much are you eating? That's usually the culprit.

1. Eat more
2. Sleep more
3. Try to mix it up with Stiff Leg DL, Power Cleans, etc.
4. Consider dropping the weight to 70%-75% of your 1 RM and do AMRAP. For me, that's the way I've busted DL plateaus

To be honest, I'm probably not eating enough but I thought I didn't need to worry about being strict with my diet yet since I'm still progressing with my other exercises. My day is usually 2 meals, a protein shake, and a protein bar as a snack somewhere in between. I'll definitely try switching it up but for sure I guess now I really have to buckle down and follow a proper diet.

Thanks guys. Seriously, this thread is amazing and it's changing my life for the better.

Cooter

To be honest, I'm probably not eating enough but I thought I didn't need to worry about being strict with my diet yet since I'm still progressing with my other exercises. My day is usually 2 meals, a protein shake, and a protein bar as a snack somewhere in between. I'll definitely try switching it up but for sure I guess now I really have to buckle down and follow a proper diet.

Thanks guys. Seriously, this thread is amazing and it's changing my life for the better.
You can get stronger in the beginning independent of your diet but eventually you need give your muscles a steady caloric surplus to ensure growth and strength.

And yes, this place is a gem. Happy to see your quality of life increasing!

BumRush

Good luck man. Let us know how progress goes.

I did a sub six mile in the fourth grade.

My last one mile time was 6:20 about 3 months ago. Been training for long distance for my half marathon though, one day I should just see what my one mile time is now.

6:30 is a really great time though.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

How often are you doing deadlifts? 225 is about where I got to when I had to stop doing deadlifts every other workout in order to make progress. Sometimes less is more.

ILoveBish

I am seriously loving the home made walnut milk. Switching to it full time, my nut milk bag just arrived as well. Probably going to try out pistachio milk as well.

SeanR1221

r6F42Eyl.jpg

Nice dude. 5 plates are around the corner.

Szu

I took it easy a bit today. Don't want to risk anything a few days before my minication.

I did some OHP from the power clean position. There was a guy doing shoulder raises nearby me and he saw my technique.

While I was resting between sets and pacing around, he goes up to my bar and tried to power clean it. He failed at it.

He and a buddy of his watched all the subsequent sets that I did afterward. They seem interested in the workout, but they didn't want to ask me about it. I think they were just not used to seeing something different.

This guy probably had an extra 15-20 lbs on me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Amazing progress!!

Thanks!

Oh man, dude, that's horrible. How could you let that happen?

Clean your mirror.

The progress is great, though.

Well, the thing is, I did take a couple other pics before, but many of them disappeared. Still, at least everyone can see a difference right? That's the important thing. :D

BumRush

I took it easy a bit today. Don't want to risk anything a few days before my minication.

I did some OHP from the power clean position. There was a guy doing shoulder raises nearby me and he saw my technique.

While I was resting between sets and pacing around, he goes up to my bar and tried to power clean it. He failed at it.

He and a buddy of his watched all the subsequent sets that I did afterward. They seem interested in the workout, but they didn't want to ask me about it. I think they were just not used to seeing something different.

This guy probably had an extra 15-20 lbs on me.

Who's the old man now!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom