• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks everyone!

So damn impressive.

I've been working on doing bar stuff and calisthenics for the last half year or so, and I'm getting close to being able to a muscle up, or at least I think so, but it's tough. I'm getting really good at strict pull-ups and deep dips, but it's really tough to combine them into a muscle up.

Explosiveness is key for muscle-ups. Keep working that initial burst from lockout.

Truly spectacular. You are looking really good man.

Nice work!

Thanks guys. And Brolic, that 510x3 looked smooth as hell. Fun to watch.

Damn. Working your way back to plate muscle ups too?. Also still one of my favorite exercise to watch just cuz they look so freaking awesome.

The thought has crossed my mind. I left off on 50 so 55 is the goal for now.

Not helping your case.

If anything, this proves that you're part red panda.
That's so funny. I knew exactly what type of response was coming my way from you when I hit submit on this video. haha!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Explosiveness is key for muscle-ups. Keep working that initial burst from lockout.

Thanks for the reply. Explosiveness is definitely something I severely lack in just about all aspects of strength training. Any tips on developing it, especially in the context of doing a muscle up? Almost wonder if kipping pull ups would be good training for it.

Gotta say, I saw a video from Rippetoe a while back that claimed explosiveness is almost entirely genetics and can't be trained beyond a very small margin. It seems a lot of people dispute that, though, and I do hope he's wrong.

Cooter

Thanks for the reply. Explosiveness is definitely something I severely lack in just about all aspects of strength training. Any tips on developing it, especially in the context of doing a muscle up? Almost wonder if kipping pull ups would be good training for it.

Gotta say, I saw a video from Rippetoe a while back that claimed explosiveness is almost entirely genetics and can't be trained beyond a very small margin. It seems a lot of people dispute that, though, and I do hope he's wrong.

What I did was focus on going as high as I could on my pull-ups. Over and over and over. I can't speak for the genetic portion of it other than saying I always had extremely fast bat speed when I played baseball and an upper percentile 40 time. So yeah, it's possible some are naturally more explosive but I have a hard time believing you can't train it enough to perform muscle-ups.

Amazing Coot. Absolutely awesome stuff. It's honestly one of the smoothest muscle ups I've ever seen. No cross fit jank on your watch

Means a lot Bruce. Thanks. CrossFit?? Never!

Navi

Do any of you guys like doing decline benching? Lots of Broscience says Incline will work the bottom chest as well as bring out the overall chest.

I feel flat chested so I need to work on bringing out my chest more and fixing the bottom as well

ILoveBish

Just finished cooking another 8 days of food at once. This meal is so delicious, cauliflower stir fry. Tomorrow or Monday I'm buying another 40lbs of chicken breast. It's on sale for 1.53 a pound, might get 80lbs cause why not.

Oh god, cooter being accused of being a genetic beast yet again, will gaf never stop shaming people?!

I'm just kidding lol.

When it comes to explosiveness, i've also got it pretty well, but it wasn't always that way. The main thing it takes for me is to get insanely hyped up music wise. I need some killer tunes that get my blood boiling in my earbuds at max volume, and i get explosiveness i need for a lot of the heavier lifts. If the track im listening to isnt very hype, i cannot force myself to become explosive on a lift. i just do it and see how it goes.

I listen to long trance sets by major djs all over the world, right now i'm really digging Ori Uplifts talking removed sets, he plays some really hype stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/oriuplift

You can download all his mixes free here. That is assuming you are into EDM. I've come to realize, a lot of people who are gym rats do not like EDM at all. Its weird, i would expect that crowd to be super into it, but not even close. Majority of people ive spoken to at the gym tell me they're into rap/metal while lifting.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I know it's cheaper to get quest bars in bulk and usually online but I bit the bullet since Trader Joes is stocking them now. About $2.39 per bar but not sure about boxes. Anyway wanted to try s'mores 1st before committing to a box whenever I can afford it and I liked it but I think cookies and cream is still my favorite. Also besides s'mores, they had cookies and cream and cookie dough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished cooking another 8 days of food at once. This meal is so delicious, cauliflower stir fry. Tomorrow or Monday I'm buying another 40lbs of chicken breast. It's on sale for 1.53 a pound, might get 80lbs cause why not.

Oh god, cooter being accused of being a genetic beast yet again, will gaf never stop shaming people?!

I'm just kidding lol.

When it comes to explosiveness, i've also got it pretty well, but it wasn't always that way. The main thing it takes for me is to get insanely hyped up music wise. I need some killer tunes that get my blood boiling in my earbuds at max volume, and i get explosiveness i need for a lot of the heavier lifts. If the track im listening to isnt very hype, i cannot force myself to become explosive on a lift. i just do it and see how it goes.

I listen to long trance sets by major djs all over the world, right now i'm really digging Ori Uplifts talking removed sets, he plays some really hype stuff.

You can download all his mixes free here. That is assuming you are into EDM. I've come to realize, a lot of people who are gym rats do not like EDM at all. Its weird, i would expect that crowd to be super into it, but not even close. Majority of people ive spoken to at the gym tell me they're into rap/metal while lifting.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm all about the EDM when it comes to gym music.

Maybe that's my problem! I need to start listening to metal to get angry! Then I get the explosiveness.

So I've been doing Stronglifts 5X5 for a month now and while it still is weird to start lifting so light, I do appreciate that its mostly for form and making sure I'm doing the lifts correctly. I just sometimes feel weird going to the gym and bench pressing and squatting such low weights when there are others next to me doing 2+ 45lb plates and whatnot.

Also OHP is easily the hardest lift out of them all, shit is killer.

BumRush

Do any of you guys like doing decline benching? Lots of Broscience says Incline will work the bottom chest as well as bring out the overall chest.

I feel flat chested so I need to work on bringing out my chest more and fixing the bottom as well

Absolutely. I don't do decline every time I do chest but DB decline press is often an assistance lift for me

I don't actually listen to music when working out, but if I did, it would definitely be EDM.

(fuck metal, seriously :p)

Time for some muscle-up love! I was a little rusty due to not training them in over a year but still proud of the 6 nonetheless. I'm confident 10 is achievable within a month or two.

https://youtu.be/gzpk9rnHUwk

well damn I've got a long way to go, you have almost no kip

So damn impressive.

I've been working on doing bar stuff and calisthenics for the last half year or so, and I'm getting close to being able to a muscle up, or at least I think so, but it's tough. I'm getting really good at strict pull-ups and deep dips, but it's really tough to combine them into a muscle up.

are you doing straight bar dips at all? I find the bottom part mirrors the middle transition of the muscle up really well

Straight-bar-dips.jpg

Do BCAAs make anyone else poop a lot? Ever since I started taking it I shit like 5 times a day 😢

Uhh... nope. How much are you taking.

As for the muscle up, the best guide I saw (for a strict version) had people doing a lat pulldown style motion for the first part. I still lack the strength to do it, but it makes sense.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Fuck.

Ok, is there any simple, and I mean simple guide like something that say this:

Monday
Eat this and this and this and nothign more.
Tuesday
Wednesday

Etc?

All the guides I have seen contains food that I dont even know where to buy it, there must be some simple stuff like eat a chicken breast one a day for meal, breakfast a yoghurt, something easy to do for someone that spends 12 hours at work and gets home tired.

Im thinking on just stop eating for a week and do pure water and a banana a day or something drastic like that.

Hate this belly.

Ok, I'm going to give you my most consistent week of eating below maintenance. Do this every week while walking three miles a day, lift weights three times a week, and you are guaranteed to lose weight.

Sunday:
3 cups of whole milk
1 pound ground turkey
2 large eggs
2/3 Cup Organic Foursome from Trader Joe's
1 beef & bean burrito, El Monterrey
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Monday:
3 cups of whole milk
1 pound ground beef
1 slice pepper jack cheese
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Tuesday:
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad - 792 Calories
8 count Chick-fil-a nuggets
4 ounces raw almonds
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Wednesday:
8 ounces pork loin
8 ounces ground beef
28 g mozzarella cheese
.1 cup jalapenos
3 cups whole milk
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Thursday:
8 ounces ground beef
28 g mozzarella cheese
.1 cup jalapenos
2 slices pepperoni pizza
3 ounces raw almonds
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Friday:
1 pound ground beef
56 g mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin

Saturday:
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup organic foursome Trader Joe's
2 cloves garlic
.1 cup jalapenos
56 g mozzarella cheese
1 scoop creatine
2 fish oil pills
1 multivitamin
1 container pineapple greek yogurt
1 container blueberry greek yogurt
8 cups White Cheddar popcorn

Enjoy my diet.

UrAvgGuy

Has anyone seen the GNC coupon for July? I'm running low on Quest bars and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Nah I haven't seen it posted, been waiting on it myself. I have this shitty $5 off I'll probably use before it expires.

New workout has me burning fat and keeping the muscle. Feeling really good for only 3 weeks "back"

a8ggaMC.jpg

Oh shit is this a Bum pic? Looking good man, I see the biceps/shoulder action you got going on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
are you doing straight bar dips at all? I find the bottom part mirrors the middle transition of the muscle up really well

Straight-bar-dips.jpg

No, unfortunately. I really need to find a nice proper straight bar like that. They don't exist at either of the gym locations I go to, and I haven't been able to find any nearby parks that have standing straight bars like that.

Where the heck can I get a pair of inexpensive 1.25lb plates?
I don't think you can. I got mine for $25 off Amazon, and I just looked them up and they're $33 now.

I've been meaning to do the washer method for a while - they aren't terribly precise but it should be good enoigh for my purposes.

http://ironstrong.org/index.php/topic/372-cheap-fractional-plates-mcmaster-carr-washers/
Yeah, getting four of these and supergluing them into a pair seems like it would be sufficient. As long as it's somewhere between 2 and 3 lbs. total it'll get the job done.

Cooter

Phew. Szu - It's still possible Cooter's just a demi-god.
The 5 pull-ups and 15 face pulls before this was my warmup. Then I did the muscle-ups and cranked out 6x10 pull-ups superseted with light shrugs. Followed by bent over BB rows with heavy BB shrugs.:)

Cooter

Selfie explosion!

FE-Great decision to cut. Looking fantastic.
Blackflag- Return of the Delt King!

SeanR1221

Damn everyone looking big and lean! Bum, Szu, Edge and black. Nice guys, keep up the fantastic work.

Here's a comparison of 228 Sean vs 204 Sean. I feel like I'm keeping my size in this cut and pretty much just losing from my stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom