• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just placed three orders of the same thing. 1 Double Chocolate whey, 1 Cinnamon Bun preworkout, and 1 Mocha preworkout. $75 in gift cards. 5% back from my discover card, and all of it was paid by my work. Finally something positive from this sale.

Chocobro

Question about Greyskull LP: when should you reset exactly?

I understand that you reset by 10% when you fail to reach at least five reps on your final AMRAP set, but say you manage four reps. Should you attempt that same weight next workout without resetting if you thought you were having an off-day?

Got four reps in your AMRAP set --> Drop it down 10% for next session. You don't do the same weight again.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey guys, don't really post here that much since I sort of work out on my own, but I've been having a bit of a conundrum in terms of eating.

I work out about 6 days a week (good mix of weights and cardio, etc) but I get very hungry during the day, almost debilitatingly so when I don't eat (as anyone would), though I seem to need to eat more than others. That means I always need snacks on hand. I work at an office that's filled with bullshit non-healthy items, so I try to bring my own snacks, but I often feel like I know a lot less about the right things to eat during the day than I do about actual meals.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on smaller foods to hold me over from meal to meal?

Azulsky

Hey guys, don't really post here that much since I sort of work out on my own, but I've been having a bit of a conundrum in terms of eating.

I work out about 6 days a week (good mix of weights and cardio, etc) but I get very hungry during the day, almost debilitatingly so when I don't eat (as anyone would), though I seem to need to eat more than others. That means I always need snacks on hand. I work at an office that's filled with bullshit non-healthy items, so I try to bring my own snacks, but I often feel like I know a lot less about the right things to eat during the day than I do about actual meals.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on smaller foods to hold me over from meal to meal?

I do a snack sized bag of almonds, about 250 calories.

Beef Jerky is good if you are in need of protein.

Apples.

Yogurt is good, oatmeal is too. Depends on your work environment.

I tend to eat multiple smaller meals because I don't like feeling bloated. We usually have a morning break, lunch and afternoon break at work so I eat my snack in the morning break, one lunch meal at lunch and the 2nd at the afternoon break.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a day late, but I hope you had a great birthday, Bish. Love ya, pal.

ILoveBish

So glad I deloaded. Went back 6 months and hit all my reps on overhead press nicely and got all my accessories in. Feel a lot more confident right now. It's that damn chase for the numbers at the gym that didn't allow me to deload enough. Had to look passed it. Gotta remember, it's all about fat loss, numbers at the gym are meaningless.

I'm a day late, but I hope you had a great birthday, Bish. Love ya, pal.

You da real mvp bro. Thank you.

entremet

Protein is very satiating as is high fiber fruits like apples and pears.

In terms of protein you can go with cottage cheese. Full fat is fine as well. It's also one of the the most anabolic foods around.

Cheese is also fine. Just make sure that you don't go over 3oz per day as it can be pretty calorie dense. Pairs well with fruit.

I also drink tons of sparking water if that's your thing. I find the carbonation has satiating effect not found in still water.

Topo Chico is a great fizzy brand.

BumRush

So glad I deloaded. Went back 6 months and hit all my reps on overhead press nicely and got all my accessories in. Feel a lot more confident right now. It's that damn chase for the numbers at the gym that didn't allow me to deload enough. Had to look passed it. Gotta remember, it's all about fat loss, numbers at the gym are meaningless.

You da real mvp bro. Thank you.

You nailed it man. Great attitude for you.

J. Bravo

did OHP monday and squats yesterday. bench tomorrow, deadlift friday. what should i do today? I'm thinkin bis and some more legs since squats murdered me and I was useless even after rolling my entire body out for 45 minutes.

ivysaur12

Banned
Protein is very satiating as is high fiber fruits like apples and pears.

In terms of protein you can go with cottage cheese. Full fat is fine as well. It's also one of the the most anabolic foods around.

Cheese is also fine. Just make sure that you don't go over 3oz per day as it can be pretty calorie dense. Pairs well with fruit.

I also drink tons of sparking water if that's your thing. I find the carbonation has satiating effect not found in still water.

Topo Chico is a great fizzy brand.

I do the same think with sparkling water. It's weirdly satisfying in ways that normal water isn't.

Good to know about cottage cheese, too. Thanks.

Can't go wrong with Quest bars.

lol, I keep getting this. They're great, but they also taste so good that I don't want to eat too many like a fucking candy bar.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone constantly impressed by the numbers some of the regs here put up on a weekly basis?

Freaking awe-inspiring.

BumRush

Anyone constantly impressed by the numbers some of the regs here put up on a weekly basis?

Freaking awe-inspiring.

Absolutely! I've said this a few times but there are MANY posters in here that cause me to regularly skip rest days or do an extra set or ________ (fill in the blank with new goals, accomplishments, etc). This is a phenomenal community made up of various people with very different approaches but the same goal of staying fit.

Nelo Ice

Banned
did OHP monday and squats yesterday. bench tomorrow, deadlift friday. what should i do today? I'm thinkin bis and some more legs since squats murdered me and I was useless even after rolling my entire body out for 45 minutes.
Coincidentally I have the exact same schedule this week. Today was my rest day but went to the gym to help a friend. I just did preacher curls and hammer curls then called it a day. I have no idea what to do if I'm not on a set program.

If I start to lift in the morning(6:00AM), can I still do Intimate Fasting(eating late). I am thinking of lifting in the morning, but I really don't want to change the way my eating schedule is.

J. Bravo

Coincidentally I have the exact same schedule this week. Today was my rest day but went to the gym to help a friend. I just did preacher curls and hammer curls then called it a day. I have no idea what to do if I'm not on a set program.

I ended up helping someone move. me and this other guy moved the piano by ourselves. up the ramp and then down the ramp at the new house. it was heavy. but we got applause both times. so thats my lifting today.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I ended up helping someone move. me and this other guy moved the piano by ourselves. up the ramp and then down the ramp at the new house. it was heavy. but we got applause both times. so thats my lifting today.

Nice productive and using that functional strength!. Also after today I'm considering waiving my mid week rest day on 5/3/1. If I do I'm thinking of just sticking to stuff like I did today assistance work and hypertrophy. And may throw in pull ups since I really wanna get a muscle up this year.

ILoveBish

Hit 10k steps walked today. Went to the mall and shopping for stuff. Tomorrow at 2pm i'll have my meal after the gym, and then i'll begin my 72 hour fast. Really excited to do it fully this time. BTW, forgot to mention my lifts today.

5x120, 5x135, 5x155 for OHP.

This is on 1750 calories a day still, fasting 23 hours a day (i guess its 24 since i eat at the same time everyday, but it takes me 45 min to eat fully).

Im like a lost puppy in the gym when i go in for an extra day, have no clue what to do, at what weight, or how many reps. I really need a set program to follow. Its why i never bother for extra days.

If I start to lift in the morning(6:00AM), can I still do Intimate Fasting(eating late). I am thinking of lifting in the morning, but I really don't want to change the way my eating schedule is.

I'm not 100% sure on this, meal timing is something i'm still working out. I would prefer to eat at night and workout at the afternoon myself, but the thought of not eating something after working out terrifies me. I'm going to read up more on that soon. Would make sleeping a lot easier if i ate my entire meal right before i sleep.

This is exactly my setup and on Wednesdays I just do intervals on an elliptical. Helps get the legs ready for deadlift Friday, burns 300 claories.

mdsfx

Diet advice? Currently on a cut to get back to where I was before vacation. Eating 2000 calories a day (maintenance), but burning 500-700 per day during workouts.

Post workout:
Shake (1/2 whey, 1/2 casein)

Breakfast:
1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt + stevia
1/2 cup plain oatmeal + stevia

Lunch:
6oz chicken breast
1 cup green veggies
1/2 cup brown rice
Quest bar

Snack:
Shake (1/2 whey, 1/2 casein)
2Tbs natural peanut butter

Dinner:
6oz meat (varies)
1 cup green veggies
Healthy carb

Snack:
(Varies, but healthy)

What's healthy carb, and where can I buy it? :p

That aside, depending on what your 6oz meat is, that diet is quite low in fat (your main source would be about 16g from the peanut butter). I'd also wager it's probably too high in protein... but without calculating I couldn't say for sure.

mdsfx

What's healthy carb, and where can I buy it? :p

That aside, depending on what your 6oz meat is, that diet is quite low in fat (your main source would be about 16g from the peanut butter). I'd also wager it's probably too high in protein... but without calculating I couldn't say for sure.
:)
Wonder_Bread.JPG

Ash just saw your comment about fat. I'm usually hitting 50g/day. Often my dinner is beef or fish and my snack whole eggs.

Protein usually hits 200+g

Yeah... I'm not that convinced that's actually healthy.

But your fat intake should be ok. Unless you weigh like 250lbs your protein intake is too high though.

By my reckoning you're something like this...

200g protein: 800kcal
50g fat: 400kcal

...which leaves about 200g of carbs (800kcal). That works out to ~40/40/20 which looks suspiciously like some old skool bodybuilding macros.

mdsfx

Yeah... I'm not that convinced that's actually healthy.

But your fat intake should be ok. Unless you weigh like 250lbs your protein intake is too high though.
Just checked. Yesterday was:

P 212g
C 177g (gross, not net)
F 60g

I thought you're supposed to aim for 1.5 x bodyweight in grams per day of protein.

Current thinking points towards needing no more than 0.8g / lb or 1.8g / kg, arguably lower. Though it's better to calculate based on your lean body mass, as your fat doesn't need protein.

Some of the strongest lifters in this thread use even less.

mdsfx

Current thinking points towards needing no more than 0.8g / lb or 1.8g / kg, arguably lower. Though it's better to calculate based on your lean body mass, as your fat doesn't need protein.

Some of the strongest lifters in this thread use even less.
Thanks for the info!

Oh, and just for info... if you're on the juice, I'm guessing none of that applies. I'm sure the rules are completely different for drug assisted. Which I'm guessing is part of the reason we ended up with such crazy high protein numbers in the first place.

Oh, and obviously keto is different again, but you're obviously not doing that.

mdsfx

Oh, and just for info... if you're on the juice, I'm guessing none of that applies. I'm sure the rules are completely different for drug assisted. Which I'm guessing is part of the reason we ended up with such crazy high protein numbers in the first place.

Oh, and obviously keto is different again, but you're obviously not doing that.
Yup, no drugs here other than my preworkout ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom