• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Aaargh deadlifts, why must you be my bane? Weight is starting to get heavy and my form is starting to break with lower back rounding T_T.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh, and just for info... if you're on the juice, I'm guessing none of that applies. I'm sure the rules are completely different for drug assisted. Which I'm guessing is part of the reason we ended up with such crazy high protein numbers in the first place.

Oh, and obviously keto is different again, but you're obviously not doing that.

Spot on, and this is an issue many novice readers will run across. Many things that are fed around the Internet as universal fact are actually advice that applies to those on gear. As they kept getting repeated people accepted it as universal fact. For example. I weigh 230-240lbs probably around 20% body fat and I only take in 140-180 grams of protein a day. I'm doing just fine. Now if I was "chemically assisted" I'd honestly probably almost double that.

Likewise, a lot lifting tips and ques that are said over and over are for equipped lifting and have little to no business being taught to raw lifters.

These are all things you find out on your own if you put as much focus on learning/reading as you do lifting and dieting.

FitGAF, I could use advice.

Started the StrongLifts 5x5 program a few months ago with a post-workout Whey drink with 5Mg of Micronized Creative after every workout.

Today, I definitely notice my arms and legs stronger and more defined then 5 months ago, but I still have a gut that isn't going down as I squat. Considering I've been clean in my diet, eating primarily veggies, chicken, egg, and rice, I'm curious if its the creatine forcing me to retain my gut or if its the fact I use a belt for my lifts.

I'm not sure, but I'm hesitant to drop the Creatine because of the intensity of doing 5x5 every other day. I want to keep my schedule until I can't go no further and I believe the Creatine has aided my recovery to keep doing 5x5 as often as possible.

Can someone who knows the details of Micronized Creatine help me? Please?

mdsfx

Started the StrongLifts 5x5 program a few months ago with a post-workout Whey drink with 5Mg of Micronized Creative after every workout.

Today, I definitely notice my arms and legs stronger and more defined then 5 months ago, but I still have a gut that isn't going down as I squat. Considering I've been clean in my diet, eating primarily veggies, chicken, egg, and rice, I'm curious if its the creatine forcing me to retain my gut or if its the fact I use a belt for my lifts.

I'm not sure, but I'm hesitant to drop the Creatine because of the intensity of doing 5x5 every other day. I want to keep my schedule until I can't go no further and I believe the Creatine has aided my recovery to keep doing 5x5 as often as possible.

You say you've been eating clean, but have you been counting calories? I don't think the creatine would cause this issue. Also might want to track macros if you aren't already. Diet is everything when trying to cut.

You say you've been eating clean, but have you been counting calories? I don't think the creatine would cause this issue. Also might want to track macros if you aren't already. Diet is everything when trying to cut.

I've been bad at tracking my macros. Mainly eat the same two meals for lunch and dinner everyday, coffee for breakfast.

It's normally either a chicken stir fry or 2 eggs with rice. My diet hasn't been great because of a fixed income.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Could you explain what you mean by the bolded? Neither creatine nor using a belt are going to slow fat loss.

mdsfx

I've been bad at tracking my macros. Mainly eat the same two meals for lunch and dinner everyday, coffee for breakfast.

It's normally either a chicken stir fry or 2 eggs with rice. My diet hasn't been great because of a fixed income.

If you eat the same things everyday, counting calories should be easy once you look everything up once. I think it will make a huge difference for you, but you just need to look up your estimated caloric intake per day first to know what your target is.

Also, I don't know where you get the stir-fry, but they CAN be terrible, especially when it comes to large amounts of over-processed (unhealthy) oil, which add up in calories quickly.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
First measurement: 44 Waist.

Measured today: 43 Waist.
Right, the way it was worded made it sound like you were expecting something to happen as you were squatting. Belly fat will typically be the last to go if you are losing fat. If you're trying to lose weight just pay attention to your diet and progress. You can't change the way you train to target fat loss in a particular area.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
GAF: About how wide is your grip on the bench press?

I know not every barbell is the same, but do you generally keep your fingers on the inside of the bar ring? I recently read a tip that in order to maximize your bench you should grip it as if you were in a push-up position, as that's your body's strongest pushing point. Doing that on the bench felt really narrow compared to what I'm used to: my ring fingers ON the bar ring.

3phemeral

Just finished with the gym and I think I'm finally ready to share progress pics. I'm not as ripped as a lot of you but it's taken some time for me to come to terms that change for the good that's permanent is usually slow but definitely worth it. After years of not seeing any progress, focusing on too much cardio, taking too long breaks in between workouts; I've learned more these past few months in this thread than I have researching on my own.

xyjx8b

I know the calculating bf% on a digital scale isn't entirely too accurate but I seem to fluctuate around 22%. I'm hoping to get down to maybe 15% in the next month (if that's realistic), but I'm definitely not going to push it to where it's not a manageable habit.

Thanks for your advice and also, thank you for introducing me to IF. I think that's been the main thing that's both taught me to severely scrutinize what I'm eating as well lose some much unneeded fat.

Chocobro

I know not every barbell is the same, but do you generally keep your fingers on the inside of the bar ring? I recently read a tip that in order to maximize your bench you should grip it as if you were in a push-up position, as that's your body's strongest pushing point. Doing that on the bench felt really narrow compared to what I'm used to: my ring fingers ON the bar ring.

I don't know how well this works since it seems generalize, but when I switched my grip width to 1.5x my biacromial distance, it felt about right for me.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/how-to-find-your-perfect-bench-press-grip/

EDIT: So for me, the fingernail cuticle on my thumb is lined up with the beginning of the knurling on a standard Olympic bar.

J. Bravo

I do middle fingers just bordering the ring on the towards the middle.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I do middle fingers just bordering the ring on the towards the middle.

Wait, huh?

ohio-power-bar-h2.jpg

Take the barbells in this image, for instance. About where would you place your hands?

EDIT:

This image works well too:

texaspb.png

Does "bench mark" mean that's where your hand should be? Or does it mean your hand should not go on or outside that mark?

_Isaac

Today, there was a guy that accidentally used another guy's towel to dry up after his shower. I just thought it was funny when the other guy discovered it and these two naked guys were discussing whether they should trade towels or not. I didn't stick around to see the conclusion.

sphinx

the piano man
Take the barbells in this image, for instance. About where would you place your hands?

when I was learning to use the barbell, a was taught that I should have the middle finger exactly where the knurl is (the one in the 81 cm mark in the lower pic) on every lift....

I learned the hard way, through injury, how wrong that was. I took/watched Starting Strenght again to re-consider grip on every lift and turned out every single grip gap was completely different from one another.

OHP, for instance, is "just outside the shoulders" and that doesn't have my middle finger anywhere near the knurl, but that's MY case.

As for Bench Press, I have settled with having my ring fingers just to the inner side of the knurl, I am a 5'5 guy with rather small arms and legs, so probably anyone else will have a wider grip.

different bodies with different arm lengths require different grips I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not 100%, but I'm just gonna lift this small building a few times.

This is the way I read your post.

Haven't done deadlift in a while, so I'll take it easy.

Does 515 x 5.

Amazing as always. And the platform looks like it can take a beating.

You guys are funny. I've still been deadlifting week in, week out. It's just been an issue since my forearm is still garbage. Straps lol some of the issue away though. Bum, the thing I like the best is the camera bearly moves when I slam the weight. Hopefully that means the platform is soaking it all up. I have a feeling it is though.

Wait, huh?

ohio-power-bar-h2.jpg

EDIT:

This image works well too:

texaspb.png

Does "bench mark" mean that's where your hand should be? Or does it mean your hand should not go on or outside that mark?

Anything inside (and not touching) the rings is considered close grip. Anything outside the rings (not touching) is considered an illegal bench.

Faiz

What's that centre knurl for?

My understanding is traction for back squats.

So after 11 cycles of 5/3/1 I'm finally resetting deadlifts. Tried a new PR of 320 this week and failed to even get it off the ground (last 1s week I got 310x1). Waited 5 minutes tried again... Got it off the floor but that was it. Put it down, stood up, and nearly blacked out. First time I've ever experienced that. Was hoping to hit 315 or more by my birthday in three weeks, and looking like that's not gonna happen, but all my other goals for that day have already been met. Downside: resetting now puts next 1s week around my birthday so the numbers on the program won't be up there. Instead of doing 1+ on the top set I may just do 1 with the prescribed weight then try and do singles up to a new 1RM pr.

mdsfx

OK, 30 minutes at 170bpm on the stationary after lifting. This time I was unable to pick up my phone and text "I hate you" to Psychotext...

Right, the way it was worded made it sound like you were expecting something to happen as you were squatting. Belly fat will typically be the last to go if you are losing fat. If you're trying to lose weight just pay attention to your diet and progress. You can't change the way you train to target fat loss in a particular area.

I understand you can't spot reduce, but StrongLifts doesn't emphasize any core exercise because of the intensity of squatting every other day. I feel like doing light yoga to strengthen my core, but I'm already pushing myself with 1 day rest between workouts. I'm worried incorporating yoga on rest days would be either a waste of a rest day or would increase my risk for injury.

OK, 30 minutes at 170bpm on the stationary after lifting. This time I was unable to pick up my phone and text "I hate you" to Psychotext...

That's more like it. :D

Now you're capable of doing that sort of output, you're probably better moving to high intensity intervals.

You guys are funny. I've still been deadlifting week in, week out. It's just been an issue since my forearm is still garbage. Straps lol some of the issue away though. Bum, the thing I like the best is the camera bearly moves when I slam the weight. Hopefully that means the platform is soaking it all up. I have a feeling it is though.

Anything inside (and not touching) the rings is considered close grip. Anything outside the rings (not touching) is considered an illegal bench.

Brolic whats your FB name? I don't want to miss these lifts

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
1 cup of greek yogurt
2 splenda packets
28gs of PB on top

Fantastic snack. 300 calories. 10c, 30p, 14f

Carry on

BumRush

Bum, the thing I like the best is the camera bearly moves when I slam the weight. Hopefully that means the platform is soaking it all up. I have a feeling it is though.

If you think about it, there's over 700 lbs on that platform and you're dropping 500+ of it down with great force. It looks SUPER solid dude...nice work and great investment.

mdsfx

Ugh, maybe I'm too self-conscious, but work place discussions about working out and nutrition make me feel like a douche.

Chocobro

Luckily lifting and nutrition discussions at work haven't happened too frequently. Although there is more nutrition talk because I'm their go-to guy for nutrition information. I don't make much out of it, I'm just sharing information.

Vince and ILoveBish would be happy to hear that one of my co-workers is on keto right now after talking to me lol.

mdsfx

Just say you don't really work out, and you just sort of eat what you want.

#dadbod
#effortless

That's actually kind of brilliant haha

Luckily lifting and nutrition discussions at work haven't happened too frequently. Although there is more nutrition talk because I'm their go-to guy for nutrition information. I don't make much out of it, I'm just sharing information.

Vince and ILoveBish would like to hear that one of my co-workers is on keto right now after talking to me lol.

Unfortunately the summer crowd here is back at it, and good for them, but they talk about it constantly. At least, until they give up in another few weeks.

Ugh, maybe I'm too self-conscious, but work place discussions about working out and nutrition make me feel like a douche.

I make it a personal rule to not talk about health or fitness to anyone unless they specifically ask me. If I get the - "You workout often?" I just say the typical "Eh when I can" and leave it at that. It's never a great conversation piece.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Vince and ILoveBish would be happy to hear that one of my co-workers is on keto right now after talking to me lol.

All aboard the keto train
m7ecwKp.gif

Also Bish, my god I want those Neo-Geo sticks, but I don't have a Neo-Geo. Always wanted one. Best arcade system in the world! Next to the Dreamcast...

BumRush

I make it a personal rule to not talk about health or fitness to anyone unless they specifically ask me. If I get the - "You workout often?" I just say the typical "Eh when I can" and leave it at that. It's never a great conversation piece.

lol..."eh, when I can"...Bruce, that phrase doesn't really apply to people that do 14 workouts a week and look like Michaelangelo's David.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
People get oddly passive aggressive whenever we talk about nutrition and fitness at work. I do the same as Bruce and try to not bring it up unless asked.

mdsfx

People get oddly passive aggressive whenever we talk about nutrition and fitness at work. I do the same as Bruce and try to not bring it up unless asked.
You have no idea... A fairly large guy (and generally nice) who knows I workout asked what my current plan was at the time. I had just said "just maintenance right now." He responded with "really? You are happy with where you are at? Don't you only weigh like 150?"

I just replied "yep"

Pancakes

Do any of you guys use over the ear headphones at the gym? I'm getting sick of my LG tone ear buds constantly falling out of my ears in squats and bench presses so I think I'm just gonna get a big bluetooth over the ear headphones so I don't have to deal with it.

Do any of you guys use over the ear headphones at the gym? I'm getting sick of my LG tone ear buds constantly falling out of my ears in squats and bench presses so I think I'm just gonna get a big bluetooth over the ear headphones so I don't have to deal with it.

Yup over the ear bluetooth headphones are amazing.

My bench has been amazing recently. My form is down perfect and I'm about two or three weeks away from hitting 315.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Here's a good review set of multiple headphones, if one of these fit your criteria. Specifically targeted towards gym work:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-exercise-headphones/

Faiz

This usually happens to me when I decline some treat someone has brought in. They'll make some comment about me watching what I eat "as if I need to" or some such. I'm not even lean. They would plotz if I told them I was about to try and cut 15-20 lbs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This usually happens to me when I decline some treat someone has brought in. They'll make some comment about me watching what I eat "as if I need to" or some such. I'm not even lean. They would plotz if I told them I was about to try and cut 15-20 lbs.

"I can't do those crazy diets"

makes me want to shit on their plate.

lol..."eh, when I can"...Bruce, that phrase doesn't really apply to people that do 14 workouts a week and look like Michaelangelo's David.

Bahaha Bum why are you so good to me. In all honesty unlike David I'm faking my look with womens pants and shirts. Baby gap V necks make me look massive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom