• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

finally hitting (relatively) big numbers after about 6 months of taking the SS program seriously.

back squats 3x5 @ 325lbs
DLs 1x5 @ 320lbs
BP 3x5 @ 140lbs
OHP 3x5 @ 115lbs

idk why i suck so bad at benching, it's pretty disappointing :(

i recently started learning how to C&J as well which should be fun once i get the form down...

1st off, your username is hilarious. 2nd, how much do you weigh?

What part of your bench is stalling. You having trouble getting it off your chest or are you having trouble going from halfway up?

Also, what assistance lifts are you doing?

i'm having trouble hitting 3 sets of 5.

i can hit 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 3 or 4 but then i crap out pushing up away from my chest.

no iso/assisted lifts. friend of my mine told me to try to DB benching.

BumRush

i'm having trouble hitting 3 sets of 5.

i can hit 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 3 or 4 but then i crap out pushing up away from my chest.

no iso/assisted lifts. friend of my mine told me to try to DB benching.

Oh, absolutely dude. You should be doing other things if you want to continue to progress with your bench.

Try doing pause press DB press (start with 45s and do sets of 5, with a 5 second count at the bottom of the lift and then a powerful drive up to the top). Try them next time you do chest, after you bench.

sphinx

the piano man
in addition to being my least favorite lift, ohp fucks my right wrist up. it does not feel good today.

Speaking about OHP, a question:

is pain or stress in the mid/lower back during the lift a sign that I am trying to lift more weight than I actually can, like, my body telling me "nope, stop" or is it purely bad form?

I sometimes think it should be my arms refusing to go up my sign that I can't lift that weight, not stress on the back...

is purely bad form, right?

ILoveBish

is pain or stress in the mid/lower back during the lift a sign that I am trying to lift more weight than I actually can, like, my body telling me "nope, stop" or is it purely bad form?

I sometimes think it should be my arms refusing to go up my sign that I can't lift that weight, not stress on the back...

Could be both. When you're using your back so much for ohp that it hurts, you're likely going too heavy. Which makes you have bad form.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I'm guessing form. I haven't really had issues with my lower back when doing OHP. My arms just give up when I can't press anymore.

Imm0rt4l

I attempted 405 on bench and misgrooved so spotter had to assist at lock out. Smh.

I should be getting my elite fts mini resistance bands so I'm gonna build some explosiveness.

Soon

BumRush

Probably bad form caused by too much weight. Do a deload and focus entirely on perfect form.

Wooh! My OHP may have been shit tonight, but I just set new 10 minute, 15 minute, 20 minute, 30 minute and 60 minute power output records on the turbo trainer. All at the lowest weight I've ever trained at. \o/

My knee feels properly fucked now though, glad it's getting a week off the turbo work (am away at the Formula 1, so just bodyweight stuff).

Azulsky

Any links to some reading on this?

On bands in general, chains are similar just they have a stepwise curve instead of smooth.

http://www.elitefts.com/tag/bands/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bands-for-size-and-strength

They increase in resistance as you stretch them. You need to build up some velocity to get to the top, which requires a really big muscle activation. They are also good in certain lifts that have less resistance as you get to the end of the concentric portion. Training yourself to get to the top with the bands comes around and pays off on your next regular lifting day.

You can also build explosiveness by deloading to 2/3 of your working sets (3-5 reps) and doing speed sets(Ive been doing 6x3). Adding pauses helps too. It has drastically helped me on bench and shoulder press with really feeling how to contract my triceps. On squats its the glutes that you are using to propel yourself out of the hole. Pausing has more to do with building up your stabilizers but it helps you progress.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wife just made a huge tray of sweet potato fries. Doesn't she know I'm low carb? She think this is a game!?
Yum. I've increased my carbs now that I'm in maintenence mode. Most of it is coming from yams. One decent size potato is about 100 grams. They're so good.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys,

I'm on a budget right now and need more protein in my diet. Good cheap whey powder to get or other inexpensive ways to get more protein? Been eating cottage cheese lately to help.

BumRush

Hey guys,

I'm on a budget right now and need more protein in my diet. Good cheap whey powder to get or other inexpensive ways to get more protein? Been eating cottage cheese lately to help.

Look for sales on family packs of chicken breast to get them at $2 / pound. Check the circulars for all local supermarkets

Nice work, psycho! Also...you're trying to steal people's wives now?

BumRush

+1

My wife finds chicken breasts for so cheap! Just have to keep an eye out and buy in larger quantities.

Absolutely. My wife does the same. In our basement we have a whole wall with 3 tiered metal shelves that hold jars of PB, extra tubs of protein, bottled water, coffee, etc etc etc. Whenever something is on sale she is amazing at capitalizing on it. She's not cheap but damnit the girl can find a sale.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wife just made a huge tray of sweet potato fries. Doesn't she know I'm low carb? She think this is a game!?

Divorce her.

Girlfriends always make me fat. "Uuuh, can you get a big pint of Ben & Jerry's when you come home?" - *eats three spoons of ice cream* - "That's enough, the rest is for you."

BumRush

If they come with delicious carbs? Absolutely!

Lol!

ElTorro, that only gets worse when you get married, bud :)

Is there any better snack than a cold cut roll up?? 2 slices low salt muenster, 3 slices rare roast beef and 3 slices rotisserie chicken breast (all boars head, of course). No bread, no condiments, just protein.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So been going to the gym recently with my friend and yes he is jacked but he thinks it's ridiculous I only do 2 movements. I'm on 5/3/1 BBB template.

He prefers to stay at the gym for upwards of 2 hours for reasons and does a bunch of different movements. Says he doesn't care about power but wants to progress in his lifts when he can. Anyway I try to tell him all the progress I've made. But he still thinks you have to stay in the gym for x amount of hours and have to do a bunch of movements.

Just wanted to bring it up since I feel like anyone I recommend SS, 5/3/1 etc style programs people just automatically think it's not enough. And it doesn't help that it took like 2 years for me to even start looking like I lift lol. Right now it may not be immediately obvious I lift but I'm pretty damn strong for my size and weight.

edit: Also I do the back arch when benching and my friend seems it would be better and I wouldn't hurt my back without it. Even though I've never injured myself benching with the back arch...

ILoveBish

I used to hit the gym for 2+ hours and got nowhere. I do 35-65 min now depending and amazing results. Quality of the time spent vs quantity. Having a defined program helps a lot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I used to hit the gym for 2+ hours and got nowhere. I do 35-65 min now depending and amazing results. Quality of the time spent vs quantity. Having a defined program helps a lot.

To be fair, going to the gym any longer than 30 min on a gas tank that's perpetually on empty isn't gonna get results anyway. If you were eating more and getting stronger you'd require more time.

ILoveBish

To be fair, going to the gym any longer than 30 min on a gas tank that's perpetually on empty isn't gonna get results anyway. If you were eating more and getting stronger you'd require more time.

That is absolutely true, once I start bulking at one point, I'm going to switch to a program with a lot more volume. Right now I'm trying to make a rock bleed so there is no need to go nuts.

I like going with cheap cuts of meat, slow cooked into delicious meals. Though it sort of relies on you being able to cook (or at least follow recipes).

I think whey usually works out to be the absolute cheapest option though.

Sadetar

Thanks for the tip, but according to iHerb, "Due to regulations, this product is not allowed to be shipped to the country you selected.". The country being Australia. I guess that's why I've not seen it around much!
What a shame. Oh well, no can do.

I hope I'll see you on PS4 someday! :)

I will be quiet
for now :p

I'm glad the difference is apparent now! It wasn't for the longest time lol. Or I didn't see it. We will both get to our goal weight in time <3

My daily diet is pretty much just veggies and protein! They give you a list of things you can eat and I just have at it haha. But I eat butt loads of veggies haha. I can only have three servings of protein a day, so I fill the rest with veggies galore. :D

Veggies are expensive... Lol
Your diet sounds quite much same as mine, but I eat also quark and berries. :D Can you be more specific about the amount of protein and what all the things were on the list. :p I am really curious since you have had awesome results.

It really is, I still struggle with binge eating on pizza/pasta. Even have a small cheat meal has a chance of spiraling me into a binge.
Same to me. Even the smallest of things can cause me to just crave everything in sight.

My couple strawberries today ended up being 500 grams / a bit over one pound... I just couldn't stop. :p I try to tell to myself that strawberries aren't the worst thing I could have eaten though. They were just fresh and delicious and I was afraid they would go bad.
...Right.

That's why I only buy stuff like that for some weekends. To contain the threat. Eating some trash 1-2 times a month is not gonna kill me.

But I never ever buy it as part of my regular groceries shopping routine.
I think this is a good way of seeing it. I personally think that it is healthy to once in a while let yourself have a treat and learn to control not to overdo it and continue eating that way the next day.

Real talk. When I was doing keto just looking at carb heavy junk food made me feel ill. Now my body craves it hard.
That is the reason why I love IF and low carb so much - I don't really even want anything unhealthy. But for example this weekend I know I am going for my friend's cottage and her father is the best cook I know so I will be eating everything there possible is to eat. It will be again pain next week to get back to the normal diet routine, but it will so be worth it. :p

French press is easy. It's maybe an additional 4-5 minutes in my morning routine that I take care of between getting ready.

Grind coffee, put the kettle on for boiling water. Walk away, continue getting ready (shower, whatever). Put grinds in press, pour water over grinds, stir. Go continue doing stuff for 3-5 minutes. Come back, press coffee. Done deal.
Now I seriously would want to have breakfast at your place. :p

cajunator

Banned
Guess Ill post here since I just entered a fitness center for the first time ever and did some light starter workouts (mostly leg stuff)
what are some tips to not feel like nauseated shit afterwards?

BumRush

Guess Ill post here since I just entered a fitness center for the first time ever and did some light starter workouts (mostly leg stuff)
what are some tips to not feel like nauseated shit afterwards?

Don't go on an empty stomach and hydrate a ton if you get nauseous.

Brolic, were you just playing Rocket League?!?

Lower the intensity until you're used to it... or do it often enough that your fitness improves to the point that it no longer wipes you out.

Oh, and don't eat anything remotely heavy before working out.

Edit - I'd actually say be careful not to drink too much whilst you're working out. I've seen gym noobs drink like fish and then throw up on more than one occasion. Certainly no more than a litre in an hour. Far more important is being hydrated before you even get to the gym... and that involves drinking water regularly rather than cramming a bunch down before you go.

cajunator

Banned
Don't go on an empty stomach and hydrate a ton if you get nauseous.

Brolic, were you just playing Rocket League?!?

I basically did the opposite lol. My body wasnt prepared at all for that.
hadnt eaten since last night (i work at night and sleep all day) and I didnt hydrate enough. Guess I learn for next time.
also started with leg workouts which people tell me is the roughest ones.

BumRush

I basically did the opposite lol. My body wasnt prepared at all for that.
hadnt eaten since last night (i work at night and sleep all day) and I didnt hydrate enough. Guess I learn for next time.
also started with leg workouts which people tell me is the roughest ones.

Are you doing any plan in particular or just winging it?

mdsfx

Edit - I'd actually say be careful not to drink too much whilst you're working out. I've seen gym noobs drink like fish and then throw up on more than one occasion. Certainly no more than a litre in an hour. Far more important is being hydrated before you even get to the gym... and that involves drinking water regularly rather than cramming a bunch down before you go.
This has been my experience. I drink about 16oz before and 16oz during. Much more and I will get nauseas on a heavy lifting day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom