• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Unrelated, I'm thinking I might skip today's workout. Heart rate variability has been bad the last few days, leg DOMS have been continuous and I'm feeling like crap. Reckon I might need a rest day.

Didn't skip, though was so much more tired than usual that if I'm honest I didn't give it my all.

Bench went fairly well to start with, but then it all went downhill from there. By the time I got to my joker set on squats (working back up to full weight after my injury) I was totalled. Had to just stop before I risked hurting myself.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I always see these things but why do they not work? Just inefficient at burning calories? I'd imagine burning 1K calories would take hours upon hours on a couch, which seems like torture after trying a similar device.
Even if it did work, it works by simulating the workout, meaning it will be just as hard, painful and tiring as doing the actual workout.

mdsfx

Had a blast on Sunday with 50 other participants. Managed to place 1st in Men's Open category and tied for 2nd Overall. Damn proud of that and very surprised!

Side note: Psycho, I made my best effort to convince the staff that my body is not capable of 300w/24mph/100rpm for 30 minutes as the computer read, but they wouldn't have it. What a joke these numbers are.

Every few days someone posts a thread about wanting to lose weight/gain muscle and they preface it with "Well I don't wanna get huge" and I'm just like...

You have to admire their self confidence. Only someone truly confident could believe their genetics are so great that they'll become Olympia champion once they stand near a barbell or some free weights.

Side note: Psycho, I made my best effort to convince the staff that my body is not capable of 300w/24mph/100rpm for 30 minutes as the computer read, but they wouldn't have it. What a joke these numbers are.
You do triathlons, so I can guarantee one of those freaks you do it with will have a bike with a power meter. Steal their bike for half hour, go as fast as you can... report back. :)

Given that you're reasonably light, if you could do those sorts of numbers, it would mean that you have some pretty impressive FTP / kg figures.

ACE 1991

Finally fixed up my barbell row form. Resting the barbell on the safety pins in the squat rack so it rests closer to my mid section before starting the pull has all but eliminated lowerback stress, since I can grab the bar with my scapula retracted and maintain the retraction rather than pulling it from the ground and having to retract at the top of the first rep... If that makes any sense.

You have to admire their self confidence. Only someone truly confident could believe their genetics are so great that they'll become Olympia champion once they stand near a barbell or some free weights.

I don't even think it's that so much as fitness models and actors geared up to all hell creating unrealistic expectations.

mdsfx

Oh man, my wife wandered into the free weight area in her gym for the first time and is texting me all sorts of questions. It's happening! Lol

Could be a form issue or a programming fallacy. Might have a weakness you're not properly addressing. Might be doing too much, or too little. Can't say for sure. Give the fractional plates a spin for a bit and see what happens.

Also fractional plates are awesome, I use mine all the time. Easily one of my best fitness related purchases. I can go up as little as a half pound a week if I need to.

cea3b31db5ac529f6109e43c605c69be.jpg

I've felt like I might be developing some form of body dysmorphia, probably more so since finishing my psychiatry rotation, lol. It is easy to get wrapped up in how you look during this whole process. I'm gonna have to make an effort to not let it consume me.

mdsfx

I've felt like I might be developing some form of body dysmorphia, probably more so since finishing my psychiatry rotation, lol. It is easy to get wrapped up in how you look during this whole process. I'm gonna have to make an effort to not let it consume me.
My problem comes from all of the impressive looking "people" on IG. I never have enough muscle, I'm never lean enough, etc. I have to continually keep myself in check. I hardly ever look in the mirror at this point and try to stay focused on my activity goals and just watching my weight and diet.

Edit: Yes, "people." Sometimes I swear they're not real...

mdsfx

"I'm never lean enough"

From the guy whose images coined the phrases "even his abs have abs" and "six pack on a six pack".

While I appreciate being remembered for my summer condition last year (I'm vain enough), I don't look like that now. I'm probably 12...13%? I don't even know anymore. I'm trying not to care too much because maintaining it and being so obsessed with it will drive you crazy and really isn't worth it.

I do think that improved performance is a far more worthy goal... but then I would wouldn't I? :D

If I was single and in my twenties I'd probably feel differently though. But ugh god, fuck that in this day and age.

mdsfx

I do think that improved performance is a far more worthy goal... but then I would wouldn't I? :D

If I was single and in my twenties I'd probably feel differently though. But ugh god, fuck that in this day and age.
Performance goals are much more rewarding and healthy in my opinion. And yeah, my wife doesn't care if I'm 10% or 15%. At least, that's what she says...

lenovox1

Performance goals are much more rewarding and healthy in my opinion. And yeah, my wife doesn't care if I'm 10% or 15%. At least, that's what she says...

As someone that's been single for their entire life and not necessarily by choice, I'll be the first person to tell you that nobody actually cares on that front. Appearance is one element, but there is no foundation and no structure without literally anything else. Body dysmorphia is a self-affliction.

ETA: And, of course, it's not dysmorphia if anyone has an actual measurable, healthy goal related to the size, shape, and composition of their bodies.

Usobuko

Banned
Fitness GAF please advise me.

I using machine most of the time except dumbbells for biceps ( 10kg ). Thanks to youtube, I came from people breaking their arm via arm-wrestling to biceps tear video compilations. Is there any place I check for good forms and prevention of it?

That's scary af but I don't think I have ever experience it before.

vypek

Subbing to this OT to hopefully stay motivated to continue the progress I made last year before I got lazy. Unfortunately won't be able to exercise too seriously until I get a car because I really am not keen on walking a mile to a gym in this weather. And I don't know if I'll be living where I currently am long enough to invest in a home gym.

ACE 1991

I using machine most of the time except dumbbells for biceps ( 10kg ). Thanks to youtube, I came from people breaking their arm via arm-wrestling to biceps tear video compilations. Is there any place I check for good forms and prevention of it?

You're not going to tear your biceps curling 10kg dumb bells my dude.

I don't even think it's that so much as fitness models and actors geared up to all hell creating unrealistic expectations.

Still doesn't make much logical sense. That kind of thought makes it seem as if people just showed up without a modicum of effort and just got jacked+huge. It'd be an insult to the amount of work that goes into something like that...but it's pretty much clear that those kinds of people could never manage to be even half as successful.

Main problem with that is the measurable aspect I'd say. Is there an official scale from say... teenage boy band member to roided up wrestlebeast?

Subbing to this OT to hopefully stay motivated to continue the progress I made last year before I got lazy. Unfortunately won't be able to exercise too seriously until I get a car because I really am not keen on walking a mile to a gym in this weather. And I don't know if I'll be living where I currently am long enough to invest in a home gym.

I hate to be an ass... but if a mile is too much for you in any weather short of a full on hurricane / blizzard, then you're not going to be motivated enough to stick with anything.

As for a home gym, buy a cheap set of resistance bands and incorporate them with bodyweight stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/7245456313/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mdsfx

Psycho is a little more hardcore than most, so don't get offended, but he's got a point in a way. Why not walk the mile? Just wear the right gear and consider it your warm up.

vypek

Main problem with that is the measurable aspect I'd say. Is there an official scale from say... teenage boy band member to roided up wrestlebeast?

I hate to be an ass... but if a mile is too much for you in any weather short of a full on hurricane / blizzard, then you're not going to be motivated enough to stick with anything.

As for a home gym, buy a cheap set of resistance bands and incorporate them with bodyweight stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/7245456313/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hm, you're probably right. I guess I should just force myself to walk there. The weather will get sooner rather than later anyways. Just hate the thought of going in 20 degree or less weather. Shouldn't be a serious problem though. I'll take a look at those resistance bands anyways though.

Psycho is a little more hardcore than most, so don't get offended, but he's got a point in a way. Why not walk the mile? Just wear the right gear and consider it your warm up.

Not offended. I definitely see his point. Ok, I'll walk there. :)

mdsfx

Hm, you're probably right. I guess I should just force myself to walk there. The weather will get sooner rather than later anyways. Just can't see myself going in 20 degree or less weather. I'll take a look at those resistance bands anyways though.
If it motivates you any more, some of us run/bike year-round regardless of temperature. You just need the right layers on to stay comfortable.

Edit: Also, Brolic does farmer walks down his driveway during blizzards for fun.

vypek

If it motivates you any more, some of us run/bike year-round regardless of temperature. You just need the right layers on to stay comfortable.

That does motivate me. Thanks. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for my to invest in a bike in this scenario.

KillerBEA

Do you take steroids? No? Then your chances of bicep tears just went down to extremely low. It's not as common as the internet makes it seem.

JCX

Not sure if it's placebo or not, but these lifting shoes really seem to help! My old 1RM on DL was 215. Just did 225 for 6 reps!

bchamba

I hate having to drive more than 10 minutes to my gym so walking a mile sounds like torture to me but also I haven't done cardio in years

Hey fitgaf, coming for a little bit of advice.

Firstly my story: 32M, 225lbs, 6'2". Had never done any significant work in a gym before in my life. I had tried at one point to dabble at a gym but mostly just pissed money away on fees. My dad has pretty bad heart disease and has had a heart attack before age 60. A doctor visit last year showed I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am pretty out of shape. I read that weight lifting is really good for lowering blood pressure, and I couldn't stand doing cardio as I found it so boring.

I started lifting with SL 5x5 in June of last year. When I started the program I literally started with just the bar. While I was not small or weak in any sense, I did have significant problems with knee pain due to what my orthopedist diagnosed as patellofemoral tracking syndrome. I did about three months of PT to fix it over a year before I started lifting, but had been slacking in keeping up with the stretching so my knee pain had been returning. Due to this I decided it was best if I start with as low weight as possible, that way I would strengthen my stablizing muscles as well as have the time to regain the flexibility I require to go without knee pain. This was especially important since SL 5x5 is so lower body focused. I figured I'd start the upper body portions with low weight as well for the hell of it.

So, aside from a few small hiccups (vacations, sprain wrist in September) I've for the most part successfully followed the program for six months. Yesterday I decided to find my 1RM on the big 3 lifts and it came out as follows: Squat 285lbs, Deadlift: 275lbs, and Bench Press: 160lbs. I found it a bit weird that my DL was lower than my Squat numbers, and maybe I could have pushed it further but my back was starting to round a bit so I just stopped at that weight. My bench press is puny. Still, this is great progression for me, and to top it all off my knee pain is almost entirely gone, especially after I've warmed up! My next goal is to get the big 3 up to a toal of 1000lbs which I think I can do in short order. I actually also hoped to drop weight while working out, but really I have stayed at exactly the same body weight, but have had pretty significant recomposition away from fat and into lean muscle. Still got a ways to go to get rid of the last vestiges of my beer gut.

Anyway, I'm growing a little tired of SL 5x5 and while I think it was a great program for a beginner I think I want something with a little more of an upper body focus. I want to keep it to a 3 day program. I was thinking of attempting Phrak's GSLP but I fear the chin ups. Any program I do I want to maintain progress on the big 3 lifts. Any suggestions?

Also, I love the app that tracks progress for SL 5x5, are there similar apps that you can customize for other programs?

You can't spell cardio without car.

Dern right.

In other news, my squat rack is getting delivered and assembled tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for yesterday, but I rescheduled after snow and ice over the weekend left my street largely impassable. With working out at home, I'll need to make time to drive around the neighborhood to get my cardio work.

lenovox1

l
Anyway, I'm growing a little tired of SL 5x5 and while I think it was a great program for a beginner I think I want something with a little more of an upper body focus. I want to keep it to a 3 day program. I was thinking of attempting Phrak's GSLP but I fear the chin ups. Any program I do I want to maintain progress on the big 3 lifts. Any suggestions?

Also, I love the app that tracks progress for SL 5x5, are there similar apps that you can customize for other programs?

High volume or low volume? Bodybuilding or strength training?

ETA: Intermediate programs are in the third post of the OP.

http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201130200

And when I'm bored, I personally like doing some classes outside of your home gym and maybe outside of your comfort zone. I notice there's no CrossFit community on this board, but that typically is a good temp switch up that weight trainers can grasp quickly. Or maybe yoga, Pilates, a martial art, paddle boarding, indoor rock climbing, etc.

And iPhone or Android?

I use an Android exclusive app called Progression. That one has a few built in programs that might fit your needs, too.

High volume or low volume? Bodybuilding or strength training?

ETA: Intermediate programs are in the third post of the OP.

http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201130200

Thanks I'll check those out.

And when I'm bored, I personally like doing some classes outside of your home gym and maybe outside of your comfort zone. I notice there's no CrossFit community on this board, but that typically is a good temp switch up that weight trainers can grasp quickly. Or maybe yoga, Pilates, a martial art, paddle boarding, indoor rock climbing, etc.

No interest in doing classes, really. Not doing this for fun, as I actually don't particularly enjoy using my time to work out. I'd rather it be as focused as possible on positive results. Looking primarily for strength training that will keep me fit and at a healthy weight. My diet is pretty good other than copious amounts of alcohol consumption haha. Part of the appeal of SL 5x5 for me is that it's been dead simple. Five different lifts that are easy to remember, and you can get in and out of the gym pretty quick.

And iPhone or Android?

I use an Android exclusive app called Progression. That one has a few built in programs that might fit your needs, too.

Android, so I'll definitely check out that app. Maybe one of those programs will be nice. I was thinking I would like to try PHUL because it mixes in some hypertrophy which I do none of, but I really don't want to be in the gym for four days a week.

people here generally a fan on Stronglifts? I been off the wagon for a while so I figured I'd stick with one of the beginner programs to get back in the swing of things. 5x5 sounds like its going to get heavy fast though and may be overkill in terms of reps though

people here generally a fan on Stronglifts? I been off the wagon for a while so I figured I'd stick with one of the beginner programs to get back in the swing of things. 5x5 sounds like its going to get heavy fast though and may be overkill in terms of reps though

I'm personally not a fan. I'd rather push Starting Strength myself if I was gonna suggest a beginner program, and for one of the reasons you mentioned. SL5x5 is overkill in terms of sets/reps.

I've been using stronglifts for a little over a 1.5 years and love it. I've modified it a bit to fit my needs but it does a good job of allowing me to do so. when things get heavy you can go to 3X5 or 3x3 etc and you'd be surprised how easily you'll be able to lift the heavier weights. Plus there's an app for it that allows you to track your lifts and weight (I'm pretty sure there's a starting strength app too but i'm plugging stronglifts here)

Top Bottom