• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

velociraptor

I need to start eating better.
all my eating habits sabotage my fitness training
I try to eat clean but then 'events' come up like my friend's birthdays... and then diet is outta the window.

Had 6 slices of pizza + 2 slices of cake today D;

To be fair, the pizza and cake were damn good.

MjFrancis

Holy shit, how you been man?
In awe of your lifts, lol!

I've been messing with low reps over many sets for about a year now, it's been fun. Wife and I separated after one and a half decades together in 2016 and weight lifting has kept me centered. Diet could be better but I can still do 20 pull-ups at whatever bodyfat and 185lbs, so I'm not totally screwing things up. My new favorite toy has been the trap bar - farmer's walks and deadlifts with that thing are simply awesome.

Most of 2016 felt like a bad sitcom starring my life, and while it hasn't gotten any less weird I'm happier now than I've been in years. If a throwaway account on some relationship or dating forum ever spouts some stranger than fiction bullshit, it might be me. I have a wonderful woman by my side now, and if I'm to tie it all together with "fitness" she wouldn't have found me if I didn't lift weights for all these years. I wasn't always motivated but I've stayed consistent.

alternade

ICvwt1g.jpg

New gym. Bought a landmine too just haven't unboxed it. Holy shit am I weak haha been only using a smith machines up until now and that 185(?) is kicking my ass. Can't wait to fully break it in though. 2017 here we go

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In awe of your lifts, lol!

I've been messing with low reps over many sets for about a year now, it's been fun. Wife and I separated after one and a half decades together in 2016 and weight lifting has kept me centered. Diet could be better but I can still do 20 pull-ups at whatever bodyfat and 185lbs, so I'm not totally screwing things up. My new favorite toy has been the trap bar - farmer's walks and deadlifts with that thing are simply awesome.

Most of 2016 felt like a bad sitcom starring my life, and while it hasn't gotten any less weird I'm happier now than I've been in years. If a throwaway account on some relationship or dating forum ever spouts some stranger than fiction bullshit, it might be me. I have a wonderful woman by my side now, and if I'm to tie it all together with "fitness" she wouldn't have found me if I didn't lift weights for all these years. I wasn't always motivated but I've stayed consistent.

Damn bud, that's rough. Sorry to hear it, but glad things are on the upswing. I'm glad to see you back though.

vypek

Trying to find more diverse forms of protein to eat and decided to try out greek yogurt and also cottage cheese (not together). Turns out that I find both of them terrible. lol. Dairy might not be my best bet

mdsfx

Trying to find more diverse forms of protein to eat and decided to try out greek yogurt and also cottage cheese (not together). Turns out that I find both of them terrible. lol. Dairy might not be my best bet
Try 1 cup plain Greek yogurt with 2tbs peanut butter and a bit of sweetener (honey, stevia, etc). If you don't like the sweetener idea, use vanilla Greek yogurt instead. Tastes like a peanut butter cheesecake. I eat it daily.

I used to not like yoghurt as well. I found a few things that helped. Firstly go for a vanilla yoghurt, if you're not used to yoghurt a slightly sweeter option works wonders. Try adding a few topics. For me the answer is crushed peanuts. Vanilla yoghurt and crushed peanuts are like heaven and I don't even like yoghurt really. Best part is the peanuts are also high in protein! Besides that I find fruit and honey are good as well.

vypek

Try 1 cup plain Greek yogurt with 2tbs peanut butter and a bit of sweetener (honey, stevia, etc). If you don't like the sweetener idea, use vanilla Greek yogurt instead. Tastes like a peanut butter cheesecake. I eat it daily.

I used to not like yoghurt as well. I found a few things that helped. Firstly go for a vanilla yoghurt, if you're not used to yoghurt a slightly sweeter option works wonders. Try adding a few topics. For me the answer is crushed peanuts. Vanilla yoghurt and crushed peanuts are like heaven and I don't even like yoghurt really. Best part is the peanuts are also high in protein! Besides that I find fruit and honey are good as well.

Thanks, both of you. I'll try this. :) The yogurt I tried was a vanilla Greek yogurt with nothing added to it at all and it wasn't pleasing. I'll first try using plain yogurt with peanut butter and honey added to it. And I'll also retry the vanilla yogurt with additives. With the flavors mixed in I'll probably be able to look past the texture easily.

Laekon

Thanks, both of you. I'll try this. :) The yogurt I tried was a vanilla Greek yogurt with nothing added to it at all and it wasn't pleasing. I'll first try using plain yogurt with peanut butter and honey added to it. And I'll also retry the vanilla yogurt with additives. With the flavors mixed in I'll probably be able to look past the texture easily.

I like both plain full fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese with Trader Joe's reduced sugar preserves. The name is lame but it has 6 grams of carbs for 2 table spoons and is just like homemade jam/jelly. No artificial stuff. Some of the vanilla yogurts have added sugar if you care.

dankir

Or take some greek yogurt and a serving of whey protein powder, mix it all until everything is incorporated and you got protein pudding. Usually what I eat before going to bed on a gym day.

Yogurt and similar products can vary between brands. Try from several before you rule it out. Even try different varieties within the same brand.

Not yogurt, but this cultured milk product (kefir) is wonderful, particularly right after a good workout.

rt5ZOAl.jpg

On the other hand, this vanilla flavor from the same brand tastes like vomit.

vRKWgql.jpg

For greek yogurt, I like Yoplait, but can deal with Oikos. I didn't find Chobani very good, to be honest. And I'm sure there are other brands I haven't tested.

New002

All of this. Like lots of other people I'm trying to lose weight and get in better shape in the year and I added Greek Yogurt to the mix. Low in calories, high in protein...What's not to love? Oh, the taste :(

I also made the mistake of getting non-fat, which tastes much more bitter apparently.

I settled on adding 2tbsp of PB, some sweetener, and some Honey, just like mdsfx said. I'll have to look into the vanilla flavor next time. This made it almost tasty though ;)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
All of this. Like lots of other people I'm trying to lose weight and get in better shape in the year and I added Greek Yogurt to the mix. Low in calories, high in protein...What's not to love? Oh, the taste :(

I also made the mistake of getting non-fat, which tastes much more bitter apparently.

I settled on adding 2tbsp of PB, some sweetener, and some Honey, just like mdsfx said. I'll have to look into the vanilla flavor next time. This made it almost tasty though ;)
I get the vanilla danon light and fit, tastes pretty good to me on its own or with a little bit of preserves in it.

I love the taste of Greek yoghurt. Don't have to add anything to it.

I do at times though, more for texture purposes than anything else.

Non fat Greek yogurt is amazing, I mix it with protein granola to add taste, as well as berries or whatever.

Yogurt is really an Amazing food. No fat and hella protein.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Curious, what do y'all think about this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okM3OYaBQGg

The Asian dude worked out for supposedly only 30 days, and it looks like he made some major improvements. I didn't see any noticeable progress on my person for like FOUR MONTHS, at least. Granted, I wasn't always consistent, and might have skipped the occasional leg day or five, but still. The dude in the video looks like he made major changes in such a short amount of time.

Believable or Buzzfeed shenanigans?

ACE 1991

The Asian dude worked out for supposedly only 30 days, and it looks like he made some major improvements. I didn't see any noticeable progress on my person for like FOUR MONTHS, at least. Granted, I wasn't always consistent, and might have skipped the occasional leg day or five, but still. The dude in the video looks like he made major changes in such a short amount of time.

Lol 6.6% body fat.

No.

poppabk

He really doesn't look that different - and the stats are just plain bullshit.
I mean they have that before and after pic of chris evans and he mainly just looks like he is flexing in the after pic versus the first pic.
Have you looked at pictures of yourself one month apart? I definitely can see a difference in my pictures from month to month. Not dramatic, but definitely visible change.

Dany

Banned
What pre-workout do you all use, if any? I'll be going after work, (since I switched to night shift) so I only need a small amount of caffeine to just sustain me for an hour.. I've tried C4 and the 'nerve feeling' is nauseating. Dr. Jekyll is good from what I've had. Mr. Hyde has too much caffeine.

The gym in my apartment complex says they're updating the workout room. If they manage to get dumbells upwards of 100lbs I might cancel my gym membership. Though I do use barbells quite a bit :/ Hmmmm

lenovox1

What pre-workout do you all use, if any? I'll be going after work, (since I switched to night shift) so I only need a small amount of caffeine to just sustain me for an hour.. I've tried C4 and the 'nerve feeling' is nauseating. Dr. Jekyll is good from what I've had. Mr. Hyde has too much caffeine.

The gym in my apartment complex says they're updating the workout room. If they manage to get dumbells upwards of 100lbs I might cancel my gym membership. Though I do use barbells quite a bit :/ Hmmmm

Up to three cups of black coffee.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Have you looked at pictures of yourself one month apart? I definitely can see a difference in my pictures from month to month. Not dramatic, but definitely visible change.

Yeah, I tried to that, but like I said, I personally didn't see any noticeable change until around month 4 or so.

But like I said, my workout/eating regiment wasn't perfect.

velociraptor

Slightly OT but has relevance to fitness...what is a way to put a positive spin on someone who tells you 'I have a problem.. I'm really obsessed with my weight'?

Depends on their definition of obsessed I would have thought. It can be a positive force, or, as some posters here have found, an EXTREMELY negative one.

Doesn't help of course that weight is a fucking appalling measurement of health... assuming you're not insanely overweight anyway.

poppabk

Slightly OT but has relevance to fitness...what is a way to put a positive spin on someone who tells you 'I have a problem.. I'm really obsessed with my weight'?
I guess it depends on who they are. Obsessions aren't generally good, but if the person is obsessed with staying at a healthy weight then its probably good overall. If they are obsessed with some unhealthy concept of weight then I don't think there is a positive spin.

mdsfx

Uhh... I've done 3 cups by 11am.

Not even slightly joking.
I just do a caffeine pill when I wake up. Usually only 100mg which is just enough to wake me up. I like saving my caffeine intake for work. I got sick of the tingles and crap from preworkout, even homemade.

effzee

Anyone here ever use the Maxworkouts program by Shin Ohtake? It boils down to high-intensity workouts targeting the full body using functional exercises rather than isolated exercises.

Lately I have gone from 3-4 days a week in the gym lifting weights to a new job, kids, and an new house (which along with the job has me commuting 4 hrs a day) leaving zero time and energy for the gym.

Is this an effective program? Something I can use at home to shed stubborn belly fat and build muscle?

http://www.maxworkouts.com/workouts_for_men

LNBL

Hi guys, got a question regarding training schedules for beginners. After fixing my diet for 2 weeks and logging everything, I'm now looking to start working with weights to help my weightloss. The mobile app that is made available by my gym suggests following plan:

Thought I'd check with you all if you think its a good starting plan to follow and if i should make some changes? I don't really know too much about this myself, so any help is appreciated!

Gintamen

How many training days does it show for the week? lower body + back & breast seems a bit much for one day. You could add squats and/or leg press to the lower body part and be done with a day with that alone. Would add another set minimum though.

lenovox1

Hi guys, got a question regarding training schedules for beginners. After fixing my diet for 2 weeks and logging everything, I'm now looking to start working with weights to help my weightloss. The mobile app that is made available by my gym suggests following plan:

Thought I'd check with you all if you think its a good starting plan to follow and if i should make some changes? I don't really know too much about this myself, so any help is appreciated!

One, unless you have an injury, there's no reason to begin training with machines. There should only be used for supplemental training and if you have injuries you need to train around.

Two, depending on your rest period and what weights you choose, you could spend as much as an hour and 30 minutes at the gym doing that many repetitions.

As always, I'd recommend the starting strength routine that's in the okay. Ford building foundational strength. You'll build more out of those four exercises then you will doing lots and lots of reps on the machines.

LNBL

How many training days does it show for the week? lower body + back & breast seems a bit much for one day. You could add squats and/or leg press to the lower body part and be done with a day with that alone. Would add another set minimum though.

Its a 3 day plan.

One, unless you have an injury, there's no reason to begin training with machines. There should only be used for supplemental training and if you have injuries you need to train around.

Two, depending on your rest period and what weights you choose, you could spend as much as an hour and 30 minutes at the gym doing that many repetitions.

As always, I'd recommend the starting strength routine that's in the okay. Ford building foundational strength. You'll build more out of those four exercises then you will doing lots and lots of reps on the machines.

No I don't have any injuries, these plans are just generic pre made, not really custom made or anything. Like i said im really a beginner at all this, so ill trust you in saying i should follow those 4 exercises :) thanks!

Ill fill this in just in case i can get any additional tips:

Height: 186 cm
Weight: 99 kg
Goal: 85-ish
Current Training Schedule: None, just starting now after getting my diet plan in order and keeping up for 2 weeks.
Current Training Equipment Available: Registered at a Gym, so i guess all required equipment.
Comments: No injuries etc

Looking at the monday set of exercises, is there something i can replace pull ups with..? I don't think ill be able to even pull off one at the moment haha

Top Bottom