• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Shy Fingers

Banned
Last night completed my 6th week into SL 5x5. I did warm up squats with just the bar and audibly laughed halfway through. 6 weeks ago that bar made me sore for 2 days.

Overall I feel like I've fallen into a groove. The gym is a place I go to now and just zen out at. Music in my ears and just ignore everything else. I've actually come to enjoy it. I'm hoping I continue to enjoy it after my newby gains phase is over.

JoeNut

Last night completed my 6th week into SL 5x5. I did warm up squats with just the bar and audibly laughed halfway through. 6 weeks ago that bar made me sore for 2 days.

Overall I feel like I've fallen into a groove. The gym is a place I go to now and just zen out at. Music in my ears and just ignore everything else. I've actually come to enjoy it. I'm hoping I continue to enjoy it after my newby gains phase is over.

I'm also doing SL 5x5 - my gains in adding weight have slowed considerably as i've got to higher weights, but i'm still adding weight from time to time and havent got bored with the program yet.

Just remember to keep your form is what i'd add, i've found with both squats, DL and Row that although i can add weight, my form just goes to shit. so i'd rather maintain the weight until i can do it with proper form.

BumRush

Good to hear man. This post was music to MY ears.

I still feel that way 5+ years later. You go through phases but it becomes such a big part of your life. If I'm stressed, lifting makes it all go away!

Ugh.

Also, I almost forgot! Last night I dreamt that we all met up in Vegas. You showed up showing off your huge, veiny quads and kept trying to sell me a shitty bike lol. Everyone was pretty rowdy... and mostly faceless.

How dare you!

I wouldn't be seen dead with a shitty bike.

Unrelated... bloody hell! So I don't know what the physio did this time, but it didn't sound / feel pleasant. She had me lie on my face and breathe fully in / breathe completely out whilst she pressed near my spine. Second time around I heard three crunches / pops and my eyes bulged out on stalks.

Feeling very, very tender now.

Ugh.

Also, I almost forgot! Last night I dreamt that we all met up in Vegas. You showed up showing off your huge, veiny quads and kept trying to sell me a shitty bike lol. Everyone was pretty rowdy... and mostly faceless.
If I was dressed up as Deadpool swinging from a chandelier and in a high pitched voice screaming "Look at meeeeee! Look at meeeeee!", then it wasn't a dream.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Just remember to keep your form is what i'd add, i've found with both squats, DL and Row that although i can add weight, my form just goes to shit. so i'd rather maintain the weight until i can do it with proper form.

I had to do that with OP. I had to arc my back to finish a set, immediately realized that was a wrong thing. Next session I dropped it back down 5lbs. Have sense pushed past it, which was a nice pick-me-up of the day.

I still feel that way 5+ years later. You go through phases but it becomes such a big part of your life. If I'm stressed, lifting makes it all go away!

Good to hear! I tend to get really into things I enjoy. Addictive personality if you will.

JoeNut

I had to do that with OP. I had to arc my back to finish a set, immediately realized that was a wrong thing. Next session I dropped it back down 5lbs. Have sense pushed past it, which was a nice pick-me-up of the day.

Good to hear! I tend to get really into things I enjoy. Addictive personality if you will.

My OHP has been stuck at 35kg's since forever :(

KillerBEA

My OHP has been stuck at 35kg's since forever :(

Dumbbell OHP as an accessory movement. Do a couple sets of 5 or higher. The slightly longer ROM will build more muscle plus you're strengthening both sides independently and you're stronger side isn't picking up the slack for the weaker side.

I added an iteration of Dumbbell OHP 5 x 5 and started noticing a difference about 2 weeks later in my OHP.

Either that or just not getting enough volume, all upperbody stuff requires volume in excess in order to grow sufficiently.

frontieruk

How dare you!

I wouldn't be seen dead with a shitty bike.

Unrelated... bloody hell! So I don't know what the physio did this time, but it didn't sound / feel pleasant. She had me lie on my face and breathe fully in / breathe completely out whilst she pressed near my spine. Second time around I heard three crunches / pops and my eyes bulged out on stalks.

Feeling very, very tender now.

Eak fingers crossed you feel better for it.

I knew that spoiler would say about not being seen with a shitty bike lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My youngest is turning 6 tomorrow. Wanted to keep my calorie deficit streak up another 4 or 5 days but eventful days like this only happen so often. Got back down to 182 and shoulders and abs are starting to tone up. Oh well, one day doesn't do much. Mom's cheesecake here I come!

Cooter

That's all I had to read. Occasions like this should be off the books. Enjoy it and celebrate.
Yup. All my babies are well...not babies anymore. Bittersweet. He wants cheeseburgers and pizza. lol. Going to In n Out and ordering at least 20 burgers and picking up a couple pizzas from a local pizzeria. The kid has taste!

bgbball31

FitnessGAF, how did you get over that mental hurdle of motivating yourself?

I've started running to train for a 5k recently, and both I ran by myself time had to stop running and walk about a mile in because I was "tired," then alternated running and walking past that. Finished my run in 35~38 minutes (3.15 miles). But, the last time I went out, I went with a friend and was able to do the whole thing without stopping in just under 28 minutes. Part of that was he had run a 5k before and was able to pace me better than I can pace myself at this point, but part of it was that I had the motivation keep up with him.

mdsfx

Yup. All my babies are well...not babies anymore. Bittersweet. He wants cheeseburgers and pizza. lol. Going to In n Out and ordering at least 20 burgers and picking up a couple pizzas from a local pizzeria. The kid has taste!
So is the Cooter protocol taught from a young age or is it more of a hereditary, instinctual sort of thing?

Enjoy the food!

Cooter

So is the Cooter protocol taught from a young age or is it more of a hereditary, instinctual sort of thing?

Enjoy the food!
Nature and nurture. My son will ask me after 5 or 6 boring meat and veggie dinners when the next cheat day is.

mdsfx

I've started running to train for a 5k recently, and both I ran by myself time had to stop running and walk about a mile in because I was "tired," then alternated running and walking past that. Finished my run in 35~38 minutes (3.15 miles). But, the last time I went out, I went with a friend and was able to do the whole thing without stopping in just under 28 minutes. Part of that was he had run a 5k before and was able to pace me better than I can pace myself at this point, but part of it was that I had the motivation keep up with him.

Baby steps for running. Start with a goal you know you can achieve (speed, distance, or both) and run it. Next time, increase one of the variables by 10-15% and try to accomplish it. My advice is to make your first run a comfortable pace with a shorter distance goal and take it from there.

Edit: I really like what Freddie said below as it goes through my head constantly: "This doesn't feel very good and it's not getting much better, bit it's also not getting any worse. I can do this."

I run MWF always the same distances. I always have to remind myself that I just did this run two days ago, the only thing that's changed since then is I've rested. I know I can't have become worse, so now I'm running to prove to myself that I've become better. If I do less it just means I'm cheating myself.

When it gets hard I also try to think about what I felt like 1/4 mile in, and i tell myself that I feel pretty much the same as I did then. Constantly reminding myself that it doesn't suck any more now than it did then.

Idk if either of those make sense, but those two lines of thought are running through my head 80% of the time I'm running.

BumRush

My youngest is turning 6 tomorrow. Wanted to keep my calorie deficit streak up another 4 or 5 days but eventful days like this only happen so often. Got back down to 182 and shoulders and abs are starting to tone up. Oh well, one day doesn't do much. Mom's cheesecake here I come!

Congrats man! You deserve a day (and mom's cheesecake)

Maybe strange advice, but...

When you don't feel motivated, look in the mirror at your abs if they aren't where you want to be. Squeeze 'em too. Say to yourself "these aren't going to get better if you sit on your ass". Guilt yourself into it.

Szu

OMG, I can almost smell your Mom's cheesecake over the Internet.

In the last two weeks I've taken a minute off my 2 mile time. Down to 18:30 now. Going to start upping distance again. I feel like working up to 3 miles, I think it'll be a good amount to stay at for a while. Does that make sense or should I just keep working on increasing distance?

mdsfx

In the last two weeks I've taken a minute off my 2 mile time. Down to 18:30 now. Going to start upping distance again. I feel like working up to 3 miles, I think it'll be a good amount to stay at for a while. Does that make sense or should I just keep working on increasing distance?
That's totally up to your goals. Either.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Maybe strange advice, but...

When you don't feel motivated, look in the mirror at your abs if they aren't where you want to be. Squeeze 'em too. Say to yourself "these aren't going to get better if you sit on your ass". Guilt yourself into it.

"These aren't the abs you're looking for."

"Hmm, you're right. Time for the gym."

Cooper

Happy birthday to your child, and happy feasting to Clan Cooter!

Cooper

^^ legit double take.

Happy Birthday to yours, Cooter!

Yeah, I think we have a mistaken identity incident once per thread. It's understandable, as our numbers are very similar. The only weird thing is Cooter seems to feel a compulsion to keep adding plates and doing more sets long after all my working sets have been completed.

SeanR1221

GJ!

One (maybe ignorant) question: why doesn't a buff guy like you have a sixpack if you are at your goal weight?

Couple reasons.

We all carry fat differently. That combines with some loose mid section skin from my super fat early years are holding me back. Basically I'd have to keep losing.

I set out to lose 50 by summer, not necessarily have abs. I was actually looking for some vascularity first which I get in my forearms and a very slight bicep vein :)

Maybe abs someday! I've literally never had visible Abs in my life :(

SeanR1221

Enjoy man! You've definitely earned it.

Granadier

I can empty bar squat with the best of them. And I'm convinced that if I just stick to my plan, I'll break this 55 pound squat plateau yet.

This isn't possible without blowing out your knees from doing ATG squats.

I can empty bar squat with the best of them. And I'm convinced that if I just stick to my plan, I'll break this 55 pound squat plateau yet.
Just keep bending over as far as you can, don't go too deep, either - you'll fuck your shit up. ATG is not needed, m'kay.

Edit: goddammit Granadier!

Two Words

I just bought some creatine. I'm seeing mixed responses on how the loading phase should work. How long should I be taking 20g before dropping to 5g daily? Some things say a weekend others say a month.

SeanR1221

I just bought some creatine. I'm seeing mixed responses on how the loading phase should work. How long should I be taking 20g before dropping to 5g daily? Some things say a weekend others say a month.

Oh no! What have you done!?!

bRbqEu2.jpg

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

I take 15-20g on lifting days and 10g on off days for first two weeks. Then 10g on lifting days and 5g on off days for 6-8 weeks. It also depends how much red meat you're eating. Just starting my bicycle since I've been off the creatine for over a year...gonna make some serious gains...!

I do get a decent strength increase and my weight jumps to 215lbs and is easier to maintain. Just be careful you can get too big.

5g daily, no loading. Science says the loading phase is largely bullshit. Also, no cycling. Just take your 5g every day whenever you want and call it a day.

Two Words

I take 15-20g on lifting days and 10g on off days for first two weeks. Then 10g on lifting days and 5g on off days for 6-8 weeks. It also depends how much red meat you're eating. Just starting my bicycle since I've been off the creatine for over a year...gonna make some serious gains...!

I do get a decent strength increase and my weight jumps to 215lbs and is easier to maintain. Just be careful you can get too big.

I'll try that.

To add to this, is it worth it to get casein protein? I currently take whey protein after my work out and plan to mix my creatine with it. Is it worth it to buy casein protein to take before sleeping?

Granadier

I usually do a whey protein shake after workout. Creatine before/during. Times don't matter on either of these though since they are just supplements. I'll have a protein bar for breakfast as well. Eggs, rice, chicken, red meat, whole milk, yogurt throughout the day.

---

Speaking of supplements, I've been using LabDoor to find the Most Accurate/Best Value. They seem to have really solid data.

Top Bottom