• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ILoveBish

Strength is coming back nicely. Started squats with 135x4, then 155, 185, till I hit 225x4. Used belt from from there and worked my way up to 305x1. I'm sure I had more in me, but it was 2am and I still had to do stuff. Fiance lifted with me and she made it up to 85x5 on squats. Not bad for first time. Getting there....

frontieruk

Zero²;204263875 said:
It's just so cold and my bed is so warm :#
But ill go to gym today! Right now actually! God bless toned shoulders!

:( I was out completing my first 5km run in the rain this morning. But I at least met my goal of completing one before June.

I wish I could still be in bed :(

velociraptor

Try weighing the same portion of spaghetti before and after cooking?

From a carb perspective, I go by dry weight and it's always been dead on for me in terms of blood glucose/insulin use as compared to eating other dry carbs. Of course, sauce is additional so factor in what you need.

That's about all I got.
That would have been ideal but when I'm home, my mum just cooks a whole bunch and serves it up ;P

Thanks for the info Psycho.

Get it bro!
WOOOOOO!

That would have been ideal but when I'm home, my mum just cooks a whole bunch and serves it up ;P

Thanks for the info Psycho.
Ahhhh. I'm also just used to measuring food based on portions the size of my fist when I can't measure but you know why I do that :D

16 days without weights now. Despite my best efforts I've lost 8lbs and to be honest I'm feeling fucking miserable.
Dang! A lot of water weight you think? I would say it would be insanely difficult to lose that much muscle biologically in 16 days. I'm banking on losing some cell volume due to not being able to pull water in to the skeletal tissue from not lifting. Maybe a little muscle but you are probably just flattening out a bit and losing water.

mdsfx

I'd like to lose some weight again but it's just so hard to start. Anyone have some tips to get through the first days?
Gradual changes. A little less food, a little healthier food, a little more exercise. When you want to really dig in, start tracking calories. It's very easy to do with an app like my fitness Pal.

Edited: drinking lots of water, carbonated zero calorie flavored waters, and coffee helps me when I'm hungry.

Murkas

Can anyone help me with my brown basmati rice dilemma?

1) How do I stop this shit from sticking together, soak it longer? More water? Less Water? At the moment I soak it for 40 mins then let the rice cooker do its thing and then let it sit for about 10 mins, all this while filling the water about an inch over the rice. It was still edible at this point, my best attempt yet.

2) The weight/calorie stuff, the rice I've got says it's 100g uncooked = 377 calories which is fair I guess, so I put 100g of rice in but after cooking because it obviously soaked the water, the rice is now heavier and there's a lot "more" rice than what I put in, putting the whole amount I made into one bowl looks like is way too much as a result. Is it supposed to be like this? Is brown rice that low in calories with the amount needed?

Hit another 10 pounds down this morning. Now sitting at 230 with 70lbs lost total. I'm hoping I can be at 220 by 4th of July, should be doable.

Ironically I just set new 15, 20, 60 and 90 minute power output records. If it wasn't for this goddamn back injury I'd be in the form of my life on the bike. :(

So sick of this shit every few months.

Can anyone help me with my brown basmati rice dilemma?

1) How do I stop this shit from sticking together, soak it longer? More water? Less Water? At the moment I soak it for 40 mins then let the rice cooker do its thing and then let it sit for about 10 mins, all this while filling the water about an inch over the rice. It was still edible at this point, my best attempt yet.

I rinse 3 cups of uncooked brown basmati, add it to the cooker with 2.5 to 3 cups of water.

Hit another 10 pounds down this morning. Now sitting at 230 with 70lbs lost total. I'm hoping I can be at 220 by 4th of July, should be doable.
Grats dude!

Ironically I just set new 15, 20, 60 and 90 minute power output records. If it wasn't for this goddamn back injury I'd be in the form of my life on the bike. :(

So sick of this shit every few months.
Goddamn! Grats but not under the circumstances :(

ILoveBish

Here is a pic of my home gym. It is not anywhere near done, but thought i'd post whats there now.

Going to hang up accessories, flags, paint side of platform black, move the weight tree and more. But still, really loving that i have a fully functional place to lift already.

Nice. Nothing like knowing that you can just get a workout in whenever suits you best and not have to worry about people hogging the equipment. :)

hunchback

I need some help getting to 2,000 calories. Here is the problem. I'm disabled and my stomach is trashed from 25 year's of medication. So everything I eat has to be easily digested.

Pasta and rice just sit in my stomach like glue. Currently I'm maxing out at 1,000 calories. Currently eating yogurt, Boost protein shakes and cream of wheat.

They are going to have me start swimming for my disability and I want to make sure I get enough calories but it's tricky with my stomach. I do have a great blender and can mix shakes also. I just need to get to 2,000 calories.

What would you great folks suggest?

I need some help getting to 2,000 calories. Here is the problem. I'm disabled and my stomach is trashed from 25 year's of medication. So everything I eat has to be easily digested.

Pasta and rice just sit in my stomach like glue. Currently I'm maxing out at 1,000 calories. Currently eating yogurt, Boost protein shakes and cream of wheat.

They are going to have me start swimming for my disability and I want to make sure I get enough calories but it's tricky with my stomach. I do have a great blender and can mix shakes also. I just need to get to 2,000 calories.

Can you eat peanut butter? Its the most calorie dense food i can think of.

Is anyone else here only sweating very little during training?

I don't know if this is really a problem but it's kinda bothering me. See, me and my buddy do extremely high intense training sessions in the gym because I've made huge progress with this in the past months. And by high intense, I mean that we do little to almost no breaks during our sets and often even combine the exercises.

Thing is, while he understandably sweats like a pig, I'm only sweating very, very little. Got a huge berstare from him during our last training when he was almost collapsing (or looked like it) and I yawned and told him to go faster. lol

Note that he is a lot slimmer than me, so one would think that my body gets up a lot faster...

Did anyone else end up sweating a lot less over the years? I've been doing this for 5+ years now but it's gotten really crazy in the past months. I was running for 60 minutes this week (I usually just do a 30 minutes lap) and even that hardly got my heart rate up.

I mean, I kinda like it since I don't smell and stuff.... but is this normal?

And before you ask: I drink a shitload of water. I'm almost always drinking something.

I didn't used to... but I also used to overheat like crazy, so something definitely wasn't right. Now I do though, and for my turbo trainer work I have to have an industrial fan on to keep it all under control.

Try 15 mins at 95% (or higher) max heart rate without a fan. If you aren't soaked after that, you may in fact be a lizard.

(Oh, and no... it's not all about being slim. The more muscle you have, the faster you'll burn yourself to a crisp. It's muscles that create body heat, fat just helps keep it.)

I don't know if this is really a problem but it's kinda bothering me. See, me and my buddy do extremely high intense training sessions in the gym because I've made huge progress with this in the past months. And by high intense, I mean that we do little to almost no breaks during our sets and often even combine the exercises.

Thing is, while he understandably sweats like a pig, I'm only sweating very, very little. Got a huge berstare from him during our last training when he was almost collapsing (or looked like it) and I yawned and told him to go faster. lol

Note that he is a lot slimmer than me, so one would think that my body gets up a lot faster...

Did anyone else end up sweating a lot less over the years? I've been doing this for 5+ years now but it's gotten really crazy in the past months. I was running for 60 minutes this week (I usually just do a 30 minutes lap) and even that hardly got my heart rate up.

And before you ask: I drink a shitload of water. I'm almost always drinking something.

I dont sweat during weightlifting, only when im doing cardio.

If you can make shakes in a blender -

16oz milk
2tbs of peanut butter
1 serving ice cream
1 scoop protein
Half cup oats
1tbs olive oil
Anything else you want to add that will taste good

The shakes I make are about 1200 calories with different measurements of the above. You'll easily hit 1k extra calories with a compound shake.

Dany

Banned
https://instagram.com/p/BFsFj7_iLq5/

It was incredible day doing tough mudder. There are other videos posted in my profile. Took us 4 hours to complete 19 obstacles, we mostly jogged, but near the end we were pooped. I popped something in my back. I would totally do this again next year, and so excited to sign up for the spartan race next month.

hunchback

16oz milk
2tbs of peanut butter
1 serving ice cream
1 scoop protein
Half cup oats
1tbs olive oil

The shakes I make are about 1200 calories with different measurements of the above. You'll easily hit 1k extra calories with a compound shake.

Thank you. I have all the ingredients and my stomach can handle peanut butter. I will give this a try tonight for dinner.

Striek

The bigger you lift (or faster you push yourself in cardio), the more you heat you generate, the more sweat you need to produce. If you're going "high intensity" without decent breaks between sets, you probably have a different definition of high intensity than most.

It's difficult to quantify intensity. My metric for how intense any routine is revolves around any number of factors but are mostly related to how much time you spend at maximum or near maximum output in a given movement, the speed at which you execute and the rest periods between.

Also, what defines a "lap" for that 30 minute interval? You can run for hours on end at low intensity and not work up a sweat or do 30 second 95-100% output sprints a few times with a 30-45 second light jog in-between and sweat your ass off after 10 minutes.

Take any movement - on the retraction I remain controlling the weight on the eccentric and on the extension, pull, push, etc - blast the weight up as hard and as fast as I can. I can move the weight slowly and not try to get the weight up fast, but that small change, despite the same reps, will have an impact on the intensity.

You have different sets of muscle fibers that get worked through the exact same movement depending on how you execute a lift. Hard and fast or hard and steady. Depending on the rep range I am working with I will change the speed at which I execute, the rest periods, etc.

I know people that on their own don't sweat when lifting but when I bring them to my sessions, Niagara Falls.

Timing and effort exerted over that time have an impact on intensity. You can do the exact same movement at varying intensity levels using the exact same rep range and weight.

Or maybe you just stopped sweating. If you're not feeling like you did work - chances are you probably didn't. It should never get easier, IMO.

SeanR1221

I decided to try full stop deads over touch and go (so it doesn't bite me in the ass next time I max out)

Pulled 315x8 (touch and go I can do 10). Harder but felt better. Then I flipped the 300lb tire 20 times.

Needless to say, my ass has major doms this morning. It's crazy.

So over the past 2.5 months, I put on 10 lbs (some of it is water) and my squats and bench are increasing nicely. My form on my squat is the best it has ever been. Legs are starting to grow again along with my quads.

So I guess you can say this cut is going well.

#summerbulk2k16

I decided to try full stop deads over touch and go (so it doesn't bite me in the ass next time I max out)

Pulled 315x8 (touch and go I can do 10). Harder but felt better. Then I flipped the 300lb tire 20 times.

This man needs a butt massage!

So over the past 2.5 months, I put on 10 lbs (some of it is water) and my squats and bench are increasing nicely. My form on my squat is the best it has ever been. Legs are starting to grow again along with my quads.

#summerbulk2k16
Nice shit! I am losing a bit of strength. Today is leg day. I'll be crying.

theytookourjobz

Dead stop reps are way better for me too. Every rep after the first on touch and go always feels like cheating.

Hit some deadlifts from 4" off the floor today. 465x3 and two drop sets at 415. Form went to shit on 465 but 415 felt pretty good. 3 more weeks until max out day!

https://youtu.be/ynGmu4_E_ak

SeanR1221

#summerbulk2k16

Getting it done. You're definitely ready for beach weather.

This man needs a butt massage!

Nice shit! I am losing a bit of strength. Today is leg day. I'll be crying.

Lol that would be nice. Going to hit it with the foam roller later

Dead stop reps are way better for me too. Every rep after the first on touch and go always feels like cheating.

Hit some deadlifts from 4" off the floor today. 465x3 and two drop sets at 415. Form went to shit on 465 but 415 felt pretty good. 3 more weeks until max out day!

Yeah it just felt a lot more explosive. I like it. I'll definitely keep doing dead stop

God f***ing dammit

Welp, that's what I get for running a week out from a race.

😱😱😱😱

No Love

Banned

16oz milk
2tbs of peanut butter
1 serving ice cream
1 scoop protein
Half cup oats
1tbs olive oil

I highly recommend using bananas and strawberries as well. Adds a lot of flavor and nutrients.

Two Words

What is the best way to breath during lunges? I feel like I take two full inhales/exhales per rep. Should I inhale during the decline and exhale when I raise up? It's hard to tell for me since both parts feels like I'm doing work.

hunchback

I highly recommend using bananas and strawberries as well. Adds a lot of flavor and nutrients.

I tried the shake and it was great. I threw in 2 cups of frozen blackberries. Thank you very much for helping me out. I can definitely drink 2 of these shakes a day. The physical therapist is taking me to a pool tomorrow. Hopefully that goes well. I haven't been swimming since I was put in a wheelchair full-time.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What is the best way to breath during lunges? I feel like I take two full inhales/exhales per rep. Should I inhale during the decline and exhale when I raise up? It's hard to tell for me since both parts feels like I'm doing work.

Always inhale on the negative and exhale on the positive. Applies to all lifts.

Two Words

Always inhale on the negative and exhale on the positive. Applies to all lifts.
I know that, but I guess lunges feel like both sides are positive. Controlling the decline feels like a lot of effort for me, especially since it requires you to maintain a balance.

Top Bottom