• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

I always like to throw chicken in the crock pot and shred it up for tacos.
Whole wheat tortilla + avocado + chicken + hot sauce or salsa = happiness.

Ah that is another chicken meal we have every now and then, though we usually end up using an already pre sliced grilled chicken rather than using the chicken breasts that we cook up.

Hmm I guess I could do chicken salads.

Small male lifters and most female lifters especially. No disrespect is intended by that. It's not uncommon for smaller lifters to be benching 3-4x per week because of the amount of volume and hypertrophy they need for their upper body to grow.

really, then I must suck since bench is currently my worst lift and I'm 6'3" -_________-

Nelo Ice

Banned
So failed to get a joker set yesterday on OHP but managed to get my first joker set for deadlift day. I'm liking FSL and Joker sets so far. Feels like I'm doing more than BBB and I have some energy left in the tank.

Chocobro

So I've decided my squat form sucks so I ditched the bar and started doing goblet squats to correct my form. What I've noticed with these is I'm a little more upright and my hip muscles are engaging much more. I also noticed (as a form tool) that when I put my heels on two 5 lb plates my form felt even better.

What are the mechanics at play here and what could be my path forward to learning correct form? I plan on doing these multiple times a week to get better.

The plates on your heels is just additional leeway for your ankles, so it's possible your ankle mobility is limited.
The anterior loading (weight being in front of you) of the goblet squat automatically forces your core to tighten and promotes thoracic extension. Maybe work on your thoracic spine, especially if you sit often and are hunched over. Also depending on how you back squat, goblet squats removes the need for shoulder mobility.

Overall, this is just me getting my thoughts out. Hard to tell if there's no video of your (back) squats. It's mostly a shot in the dark because there's potential for problems in the hips, ankles, knees, or spine that's preventing you from squatting properly. Need to screen you to narrow down the possibilities.

So I've decided my squat form sucks so I ditched the bar and started doing goblet squats to correct my form. What I've noticed with these is I'm a little more upright and my hip muscles are engaging much more. I also noticed (as a form tool) that when I put my heels on two 5 lb plates my form felt even better.

What are the mechanics at play here and what could be my path forward to learning correct form? I plan on doing these multiple times a week to get better.
You have tight hams if you need to raise your heels. Stretch all the time. All day. Kick a leg up somewhere and stretch.

Watching TV? Cool. Sit in a squat position, heels on the floor. Chicken walk your living room. Get used to an upright torso in an ass to grass squat position. Just standing around? Try touching your head to your knees, legs straight, heels on the floor.

I suggested these a while back to help with form/mobility. Anything you can do to grease the groove. Bruce Lee used to do this all the time. He'd be talking to someone and just throw a leg up to stretch randomly :D

ColdPizza

Banned
The plates on your heels is just additional leeway for your ankles, so it's possible your ankle mobility is limited.
The anterior loading (weight being in front of you) of the goblet squat automatically forces your core to tighten and promotes thoracic extension. Maybe work on your thoracic spine, especially if you sit often and are hunched over. Also depending on how you back squat, goblet squats removes the need for shoulder mobility.

Overall, this is just me getting my thoughts out. Hard to tell if there's no video of your (back) squats. It's mostly a shot in the dark because there's potential for problems in the hips, ankles, knees, or spine that's preventing you from squatting properly. Need to screen you to narrow down the possibilities.

You have tight hams if you need to raise your heels. Stretch all the time. All day. Kick a leg up somewhere and stretch.

Watching TV? Cool. Sit in a squat position, heels on the floor. Chicken walk your living room. Get used to an upright torso in an ass to grass squat position. Just standing around? Try touching your head to your knees, legs straight, heels on the floor.

I suggested these a while back to help with form/mobility. Anything you can do to grease the groove. Bruce Lee used to do this all the time. He'd be talking to someone and just throw a leg up to stretch randomly :D

Thanks for the tips. I plan on doing these goblet squats for awhile to get used to the feel.

Is it correct though that I'm feeling this more in my hips?

Szu

Stayed home from work for 2 days due to hemorrhoids from hell, most likely due to my squat-a-thon on friday. Feck. This is the worst... except for the fact that i blasted through Uncharted 4 in just a few days :) YAAAA*OUCH*AAASSSSSS

I read hemorrhoids, squat, and blasted, then this image popped in my brain.

4220861_o.gif

I'm assuming that's a squat suit, because it seems to have had a ton more pressure on it than say, a set of compression shorts would have.

Taking a few days off. I moved recently and need to get a separate membership here with the home gym for when I go home on certain weekends to be with the girlfriend. I had to pay rent, security deposit, and buy groceries this week so I couldn't afford even an abbreviated gym membership here in the city. I go home on Thursday so I'll crush a few workouts there.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
WTF?! NeoGaf has a fitness community?

Long time guys. Been busy and out of town for a while. Fill me in on anything exciting I missed.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks! Slowly working my way towards Cooter status. One day I'll get there!
Oh geez. I'm nothing special right now but thank you. Your arms are already equal to mine. Nice work! You're like me and never miss arms. lol

Made my first chicken salad. (never had any chicken salad before) Wasn't fancy. Just some chicken chopped up in lettuce, added pepper, and some kale.

I also had this culinary breakthrough. After taking my first bite into the salad, I tasted a little something sweet. Don't know for sure what it was, but I couldn't get it again in the same way. So somehow I decided to chop up half a banana and mix it in the salad, which is something I absolutely wouldn't have done if it wasn't for that sweetness I tasted that I couldn't get back. It ended up being surprisingly tasty.

Made my first chicken salad. (never had any chicken salad before) Wasn't fancy. Just some chicken chopped up in lettuce, added pepper, and some kale.

I also had this culinary breakthrough. After taking my first bite into the salad, I tasted a little something sweet. Don't know for sure what it was, but I couldn't get it again in the same way. So somehow I decided to chop up half a banana and mix it in the salad, which is something I absolutely wouldn't have done if it wasn't for that sweetness I tasted that I couldn't get back. It ended up being surprisingly tasty.

Banana in salad? Interesting. Might be worth a try.

Last night we did:

Spinach
Chicken
Blueberries
Strawberries
Walnuts
Poppy Dressing

Usually we do some sort of BLT Salad
Spinach
Bacon
Chicken
Avacado
Tomato
Balsamic Dressing

Delicious but I found myself completely starving 20 minutes later.

Jesus wept, the doms are off the scale. I guess that's what no lifting for a month will do to you.

They were bad yesterday, then I did an hour on the turbo trainer...

...it just took me five minutes to hobble to the kitchen (I don't live in a mansion).

JoeNut

Grilled/Baked chicken definitely a staple of my diet when I'm on it. I currently have a large tray filled with a bunch of chicken breast that was cooked up 2 nights ago. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do with it.

My chicken meal always consists of the same thing. I make a sandwich with one breast, one slightly toasted whole grain bread, spinach, muenster cheese, sometimes tomato, sometimes egg, sometimes hummus. Of course, this isn't the only meal I ever eat, but it's how I consume this chicken 98% of the time.

It somehow just recently dawned on me that I've kinda been relying on this same meal for a while now It's still tasty enough, but what can I do to mix it up? What other chicken meal/recipes do you guys suggest?

you can't beat a really good salad.

Chicken, egg, avocado, feta cheese, olives, sun dried tomatoes, radish, sweetcorn, green leaves, olive oil, salt, pepper.

This is my lunch practically every day, i love it

KillerBEA

Small male lifters and most female lifters especially. No disrespect is intended by that. It's not uncommon for smaller lifters to be benching 3-4x per week because of the amount of volume and hypertrophy they need for their upper body to grow.

I am not exactly a big person so no disrespect taken. Pretty average in terms of build.

Hoping to get by with just 2 for now. I am starting to track my volume so I can make sure I am not losing something somewhere. Not my favorite thing to do, but it needs to be done

WTF?! NeoGaf has a fitness community?

Long time guys. Been busy and out of town for a while. Fill me in on anything exciting I missed.
Good to see you bud.

Nothing new here other than the cut is going swell. How's things on your end?

Jesus wept, the doms are off the scale. I guess that's what no lifting for a month will do to you.

They were bad yesterday, then I did an hour on the turbo trainer...

...it just took me five minutes to hobble to the kitchen (I don't live in a mansion).
That's not DOMS - you're just getting old!

Oh man. That Jimquisition thread about Blizz micros got me all lit up as a developer.

I'M READY FOR SHOULDERS TODAY. NO CAFFEINE NEEDED.

KmA

Ok so I constantly feel like I'm never making any progress. Which probably isn't true but it still feels that way. I started back in around August but didn't lift in September so I seriously started in October. I was about 135-140 back then and now I'm about 165-170 (I'm like 5'7). I can't tell if I'm doing any of this right like I get compliments from straight men constantly (to my annoyance) but that is like 25-30ish pounds I've gained... I feel like my body fat percentage is very high though. I don't know if I did this right lol like yeah I'm bigger now but I still feel i have too much fat on me.

This is probably coming off as very disjointed and rambley because it is lol. And I'm fasting for the next month so now my progress is stifled. And I hate it so much I have such an unhealthy relationship with my body. I think I need to calm down for a second whenever I think about my body I start reeling.

Sorry I'm just ranting.

Are you lifting more than you were? If so... stop complaining. If not, complain away. :p

Seriously though, progress is measured in so, so many different ways.

Hey guys, I've decided it's time I started taking my health and weight seriously but when I go to the gym I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm currently 5'7 somewhere between 180-200lbs and I eat terribly which has given me a gut and man boobs. I can't stand looking at this in the mirror anymore and desperately need a change. I have a gym membership and plan on using it more but like I said I have no idea what to do when I get there. Some dietary help would be good as well but I've been doing some research on that and I might be good but some advice would still be appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys

Edit:
Height:5'7
Weight:180-200lbs
Goal:160
Current Training Schedule:Haven't started yet
Current Training Equipment Available:gym membership

Oscar

So I've been doing SS on and off for a year.

Finally got my squat to two plates, but I find that I'm not recovering as fast so I'm starting to struggle soreness/energy wise. Is this why people start taking pre workout supplements? If so, any recommendations? Just want a boost to make it through the lift sesh.

Finally got my squat to two plates, but I find that I'm not recovering as fast so I'm starting to struggle soreness/energy wise. Is this why people start taking pre workout supplements? If so, any recommendations? Just want a boost to make it through the lift sesh.

It is around 225-250 that 3x5-style, squat every other day workouts start to be too much squatting. It is time to move on to an intermediate program like 5/3/1.

Pachimari

If I'm gonna start running tomorrow morning, what should my goal be? Should just run for 10 minutes and see how I fare before I set up calories loss goals?

How much sleep do you get per night?

CBFA eating tonight. Have run out of frozen stuff and I'm just too tired to start prepping anything, so have had a quest bar, some milk and some peanut butter.

Top Bottom