• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Litan

Just got a gym membership and I'm going to start the aworkoutroutine beginner workout next week.
Any tips for a first timer?
Never been to a public gym before but I've done calisthenic workouts on and off the last few years. At one point, I had some really old gym equipment available to me for a couple months, so I'm familiar with the big compound lifts.

I have an admission to make fitness GAF...

...I've eaten peanut butter and raspberry jam every single day this week. I still don't like it on its own, but I may very well be converted to it with jam. It's even the good stuff without any additions!
New news new thread?

Slowly, we are converting him.

BumRush

...I've eaten peanut butter and raspberry jam every single day this week. I still don't like it on its own, but I may very well be converted to it with jam. It's even the good stuff without any additions!

Haven't posted in here in a few days but this was too good to miss

Teggy

The gym felt so hot today, it sucked. I was so tired after I went and got five guys and had some ice cream for dessert. I actually have put a couple of pounds back on recently but I didn't care, my body wanted those calories.

Cooper

Not all of the, though:

It doesn't sound like there have been a lot of studies about this particular topic, at least none definitive, so I'm not sure why "lol @ no eating after 7pm".

The full text of the first study you linked is freely available, so I gave it a skim. This part regarding how the study was conducted seemed like a problem:

Each participant was weighed while barefoot, wearing light clothes, on a digital scale that measured to the nearest 0.1 kg, at the same time of the day (in the evening), once per week before and throughout the treatment period.

I'm not a researcher, so maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems quite intuitive that if you have one group eat most of their food at a time close to the evening weigh-in, their weight will read higher than the group that ate most of their food earlier. It seems like a constant difference in time between eating and weighing for the two groups would be better.

Also, although self-reporting of calories is fairly standard for these types of studies, it's woefully inaccurate and can't really be used to conclude the two groups calories were similar.

Just wait until you discover peanut butter and honey

Been adding this to my protein shakes. Makes everything so delicious. Costco has it.

Low calories, high in protein. Makes my boring vanilla protein taste amazing. Mixes well with chocolate protein, too.

0089792200262_A

I also like to mix chocolate, banana, and peanut butter into a blender with some greek yogurt. This stuff mixes so much better and it's so much less oily than using peanut butter but still tastes great!

1. Place phone on a level elevated surface.
2. Place support to keep phone upright.
3. Get properly set up.
4. Breathe in and lower the weight.
5. Exhale as you press the weight up.
6. Get your phone.
7. Realize that you forgot to press Record.
8. Assume fetal position.

The gym is empty enough during the day that I suppose I could do this without feeling silly.
I would at least like to observe my squat form from the side.

The full text of the first study you linked is freely available, so I gave it a skim. This part regarding how the study was conducted seemed like a problem:

Each participant was weighed while barefoot, wearing light clothes, on a digital scale that measured to the nearest 0.1 kg, at the same time of the day (in the evening), once per week before and throughout the treatment period.

I'm not a researcher, so maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems quite intuitive that if you have one group eat most of their food at a time close to the evening weigh-in, their weight will read higher than the group that ate most of their food earlier. It seems like a constant difference in time between eating and weighing for the two groups would be better.

Also, although self-reporting of calories is fairly standard for these types of studies, it's woefully inaccurate and can't really be used to conclude the two groups calories were similar.

I believe scientific studies do have their merit, and even if exercise science is kind of a new filed, I think there's a lot to be learned there when it comes to nutrition, exercise, weight loss, muscle gain, etc. That being said, it's always a good idea to read the actual article (as you did) instead of a editorial site's interpretation of it. There was a segment on John Oliver's Last Week Tonight about that very thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Got a question for y'all.

Has eating before working out actually helped you in any way? Or has it not made any noticeable difference?

Yup. Like I said earlier about studies. If you are looking for a specific result, your tests will be designed to get that result and your tests well reflect that just like it does here.

This is a really egregious example of carelessness or obfuscation by design.

Has eating before working out actually helped you in any way? Or has it not made any noticeable difference?

Not sure what science says on this but If I had to choose between feeling saturated or hungry, I'd go hungry. The sensation of hunger doesn't bother me during exercises at all whereas feeling like I've eaten to exhaustion slows me down. I also feel uncomfortable doing squats with a full belly. Eating something right before fitness has no noticeable impact on my workout though. It's the extreme cases that hamper it.

KillerBEA

I don't know what science says or particularly care but I need to eat within 3 hours before or I don't feel like I have enough energy.

I don't know what science says or particularly care but I need to eat within 3 hours before or I don't feel like I have enough energy.

I used to be exactly the same, though strangely enough, having done it fasted for the last couple of years, now I don't notice any hunger / energy issues at all... and that's with my workout lasting anywhere up to 2.5 hours.

(Unless I'm stupid enough to try doing high heart rate stuff fasted)

On balance though, I imagine it's probably better to do it with food in you... performance wise. Though I doubt I'd want to eat within an hour of my workout.

mdsfx

Not again.

BBQ at work 2 days in a row. Chips. Pop. All sorts of goodies.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO ME ON A CUT :(

Not my day to cheat yet.
Don't do it! My wife had freshly made brownies ready when I got home last night. I freakin love them and it was very hard for me, but I didn't even touch them. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Don't do it! My wife had freshly made brownies ready when I got home last night. I freakin love them and it was very hard for me, but I didn't even touch them. FUCK THAT SHIT.
I've been strong.

We've literally got everything under the sun in junkfood.

I did fucking snag 3 ice cold bottles of water, tho. Gonna get warm soon!

How can you still be cutting? I could literally grate cheese on your abs.

Edit - mdsfx (I'm sure your abs are lovely too Jacksinthe)
I've only been cutting now 7 weeks at the end of the week. Still more work to do!

As for mdsfx - dude wants to be able to see individual atoms through the separation in his abs XD

SeanR1221

Not again.

BBQ at work 2 days in a row. Chips. Pop. All sorts of goodies.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO ME ON A CUT :(

Not my day to cheat yet.

IIFYM possibly? Maybe just some meat :)

And yeah, MDSFX won't be satisfied until his abs have abs with little veins on them and those veins are flexing

IIFYM possibly? Maybe just some meat :)

And yeah, MDSFX won't be satisfied until his abs have abs with little veins on them and those veins are flexing
LOLOLOLOLOL - Veinception

I do some IIFYM on Saturdays ;)

Although 2 Saturdays ago was more of a cheat and I rolled over but still lost more the following week than I expected. 60 Buffalo Shrimp with 3x Ranch is a miracle cutting food! That was just lunch.

That moment when you can finally fit into pants you got as a gift last year and haven't able to wear. Feels good, man. 15 lbs down since 4/14 with 5 lbs left on my initial goal. Still struggling quite a bit with food, but this was a good sign I am moving in the right direction. Beat my distance for time yesterday on the ellip and continue to up the weights week to week.

I've been lurking for a while and it feels good to have made some positive change and be able to post about it.

Ixian

That moment when you can finally fit into pants you got as a gift last year and haven't able to wear. Feels good, man. 15 lbs down since 4/14 with 5 lbs left on my initial goal. Still struggling quite a bit with food, but this was a good sign I am moving in the right direction. Beat my distance for time yesterday on the ellip and continue to up the weights week to week.

I've been lurking for a while and it feels good to have made some positive change and be able to post about it.
Congrats! Just wait till those pants go from barely fitting to being loose. :) The jeans I'm wearing today used to be my "skinny" jeans but now they don't hug my legs nearly as much, aside from my calves.

Also shout outs to Domino's + T-Mobile for free pizza and taking care out of workout day dinner planning for two nights. XD Pizza isn't the most filling but I love it so.

JCX

Big congrats man! I had a similar moment when I went to buy jeans and found that I am finally back in the general jeans section instead of big and tall.

KillerBEA

Yeah but you should only be lifting braaaahhhh

Oh wait that's what corn burrito thinks of this community.

Nice job! Sub 10 min next!

lol Corn Burrito

and thanks, 10 minute mile soon!

Awesome job dude! Keep it up!

Ixian

Also on the clothing progress front, I can fit in small shirts now but I'm scared of investing too heavily in them since I absolutely intend to slow bulk after my cut. I'm aiming for a compact, muscular look in the end but I don't wanna end up with shirts I can't wear. >_<

I'm going to have to buy new pants soon because of my thighs. My current jeans fit about the same around my waist but my thighs seem to be expanding exponentially, to the point where my phone and wallet are starting to bulge through awkwardly.

MjFrancis

Shirts are harder to fit for than pants with an athletic build. Shirts are generally too tight up top and too loose around the midsection. Mediums are out of the question, XL fits like a pillow cover with the arms cut out, and finding a size L shirt that isn't too tight around the chest and arms is more difficult than it used to be.

Jeans are easier by far, most are vanity sized anyways and it's not too hard to find some with extra room for the thighs and butt.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh the instant disappointment when you get to the gym and dig into your gym bag only to find your iPod and no ear buds.

Oh the instant disappointment when you get to the gym and dig into your gym bag only to find your iPod and no ear buds.

For me, it was this past Tuesday.

Aside: I'm nearly done the second round of 5/3/1, and I gotta say I'm liking it. The biggest issue I'm having is

A) I really do need to commit to putting more time into my squat, since it's proportionately weaker than I think it oughta be.

B) Eating. It's become a challenge to eat what I feel I should. I believe me, I do feel full. Lotsa lean protein, lotsa greens, lotsa rice/oatmeal. I've gained 8 lbs.

For those that have/are doing 5/3/1, any tips? I'm not down to do the "wake up in the middle of the night and eat" thing, and I'm not sure if the weight gain I've experienced is at the rate I should be seeing.

hunchback

I'm really happy I found this thread, tons of useful information. Is there anybody on this thread that is from the Seattle/Bellevue Washington area?

I'm asking because I'm extremely disabled and trying to fight off becoming permanently bedridden. I could really use some 1 on 1 help. I'm more than willing to compensate for any body's time.

Info about me.
Weight: 125
Height: Used to be 6ft, now I'm 4ft 7

I hope this isn't inappropriate but if anyone is from my area and would like to help please PM me.

I can't stand for being bedridden. I will fight with everything I have but could use some help. Everyone have a great afternoon.

So first time I've tried to push myself after my injury. My my estimations I've lost about a year worth of progress as it stands, and I'm REALLY down about it.

I guess there's a chance it'll take less time to get back, but I'm really not confident right now. The bench numbers I managed to put up were just flat out embarrassing a good 25%+ less weight than I managed just over a month ago, and what I managed a month ago was already a joke.

:(

I'm really happy I found this thread, tons of useful information. Is there anybody on this thread that is from the Seattle/Bellevue Washington area?

I'm asking because I'm extremely disabled and trying to fight off becoming permanently bedridden. I could really use some 1 on 1 help. I'm more than willing to compensate for any body's time.

...and suddenly some perspective for me. Hopefully there's someone nearby who can help you out my good man.

Info about me.
Weight: 125
Height: Used to be 6ft, now I'm 4ft 7

I hope this isn't inappropriate but if anyone is from my area and would like to help please PM me.

I can't stand for being bedridden. I will fight with everything I have but could use some help. Everyone have a great afternoon.
Sorry to hear this duder. Wish I was close by to help :(

So first time I've tried to push myself after my injury. My my estimations I've lost about a year worth of progress as it stands, and I'm REALLY down about it.

I guess there's a chance it'll take less time to get back, but I'm really not confident right now. The bench numbers I managed to put up were just flat out embarrassing a good 25%+ less weight than I managed just over a month ago, and what I managed a month ago was already a joke.

:(
I don't think you could lose a year's worth of progress in a month. More than likely you did lose some but you're probably just feeling a little flat.

You'll snap back fast if any of my past hiatuses are anything to go by. Just don't let it get you down, that will be more detrimental to your goals than the month off. Just stay focused.

Chocobro

Never thought this would happen but I'm now logging my sessions with pen&paper. All apps at the moment, AFAIK, don't handle weightlifting complexes, plus there's no quick and easy way to see notes I've made based on my coach's feedback or how I felt that day. I lose the estimated 1RMs over time graph but I'm OK with that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shirts are harder to fit for than pants with an athletic build. Shirts are generally too tight up top and too loose around the midsection. Mediums are out of the question, XL fits like a pillow cover with the arms cut out, and finding a size L shirt that isn't too tight around the chest and arms is more difficult than it used to be.

Jeans are easier by far, most are vanity sized anyways and it's not too hard to find some with extra room for the thighs and butt.

I can so relate with this. I'm a bit smaller, so usually looking for American small or medium sizes, but finding t-shirts and shirts in general that fit well is an exercise in frustration. No issue with pants for the most part.

Top Bottom