• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Pachimari

I mean, if Im lifting, I need to eat more right? But I also have belly fat, so i feel like I should be cutting

But putting muscle helps me lose weight right?
I'm the same here. I have belly fat so I cut down on my eating and planned to drop my weight from 80 to 65kg in two months but at the same time I need to bulk the rest of my body and gain a six pack on the long term. What do I do? Do I cut down on my diet or do I add?

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you. Also, if you don't have the book (and I don't think you do but neither do I lol), I highly suggest you go on Youtube and search "Mark Rippetoe." Look for each exercise and there should be at least 1 video where Mark goes through the reps for a number of different people. He identifies cues, problems and such in each person's form. Study this before you go in and you should be able to avoid most roadblocks and mishaps.

Also I'd go so far as to suggest not adding power cleans into the mix unless you have someone good to educate you on how to do it. Otherwise you might run the risk of injuring yourself. Your call in the end though.
Thanks for the advice! I'll look up how to do power cleans and I'll search for Mark Rippetoe. But isn't it advised that I do deadlifts and squatting while someone is watching me in case I'm gonna fall over?

Szu

Speaking of, where is Bish?

And lol, do I smell 10,000 or so calories today to make up for it?

tumblr_lfl0nuPiYO1qdzjnp.gif

3phemeral

On the protein talk, I always mix with water. I just discovered a killer addition though. I use chocolate peanut butter flavored protein powder along with a tablespoon of PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. That tablespoon is only 25 calories but it makes the flavor and consistency of the shakes insanely better. Although I didn't have an issue with protein and water before, the pb2 addition is mandatory for me now.

Yes! I discovered this stuff years ago and was super curious about the consistency. Doesn't really work for peanut butter jelly sandwiches (you have to reconstitute it) but it's absolutely perfect for protein shakes. Even better than homemade PB since it doesn't require any additional oil additives to make it buttery. Same thing for instant coffee. If I don't have time in the morning, I pop a serving of instant coffee in my shake and run out the door.

JCX

I focus more on my diet than cardio, because I'd rather use that time to play video games. Some of which are lengthy JRPGs so...yup. Haven't done cardio in 2 years now I'd say. How crazy is your low cal? If you've got plenty of fat, your fat stores should be able to accommodate a modest deficit while not affecting your ability to lift. In my experience, it's endurance/recovery that's affected so sets over 10 reps will suffer along with more than 3 sets at near max capacity.

This is from someone who started at 230lbs and is now...184lbs, for reference. I was at 170.6 at some point but then Christmas happened and I ate a buttload of junk constantly. Hopefully I can finish this latest cut by the end of July.

I'm 5'7, 230. I did 1800/cal a day for a few weeks, but didn't see much weight begin to come off. I was also a lot more tired.

I'd prefer diet as well since it'd give me more time for Overwatch and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but it's stopped working well lately. That's why I think I'll go back to a surplus and focus on gaining more muscle

Guys, guess what. I suffer from social anxiety disorder, but this morning I went to the gym and trained for 2 hours! That's the longest I've been there but not only that, I actually enjoyed staying there with the other random people who worked out, and I even asked for help. I might actually overcome my biggest fear (which was always the gym) and end up totally enjoying it. I'm a little proud of myself, and I'm happy and I feel excited for what's to come. I'll go there again tomorrow morning.

I'll post up what exercises I were doing today later, when I get home.

That's awesome. In my experience, most people at the gym are very friendly and it's a nice environment.
The gym can be a great outlet to get yourself around people.

I'm 5'7, 230. I did 1800/cal a day for a few weeks, but didn't see much weight begin to come off. I was also a lot more tired.

I'd prefer diet as well since it'd give me more time for Overwatch and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but it's stopped working well lately. That's why I think I'll go back to a surplus and focus on gaining more muscle

Up to you, but I think you could go down to 1500 based on just your height and body weight. I'm not sure how advanced your lifts are, but on a good program you should still be making good progress at the beginner/low intermediate stage. Eat 2000 on the days that you DO work out (shouldn't be any more than 3-4x a week, high intensity), since there's evidence that your body responds better doing this.

I'm the same here. I have belly fat so I cut down on my eating and planned to drop my weight from 80 to 65kg in two months but at the same time I need to bulk the rest of my body and gain a six pack on the long term. What do I do? Do I cut down on my diet or do I add?

Thanks for the advice! I'll look up how to do power cleans and I'll search for Mark Rippetoe. But isn't it advised that I do deadlifts and squatting while someone is watching me in case I'm gonna fall over?

I prefer to do my deads and squats alone cause I don't want anyone to see my potentially massive fail, plus I somewhat dislike having someone watch me. But for your question, there should be no reason for someone to watch your deadlift or squat because they're both essentially the act of standing up. If your squat is safely set up in a power rack then nobody needs to be with you because you can dump it anytime. Deadlifts are even easier to bail out of, although you shouldn't ever really have to.

mdsfx

Power cleans are not dangerous, don't skip them. I learned with Rippetoe videos, do them.

Power Cleans are pretty easy when you think about

Sorry, but in comparison to what? How can anyone argue that they aren't much more dangerous than deadlifts or squats in a cage.

From what I see, and admittedly knowing little about the proper way to do them, weight becomes basically airborne and has to be caught with the person properly positioned/ balanced.

Sorry, but in comparison to what? How can anyone argue that they aren't much more dangerous than deadlifts or squats in a cage.

From what I see, and admittedly knowing little about the proper way to do them, weight becomes basically airborne and has to be caught with the person properly positioned/ balanced.

I fully agree with this, but I guess it's personal opinion. I feel like it should be something that's coached in person since there's less safety measures you can take compared to the other compounds.

Also when you consider that people can't squat parallel properly with good form even with the abundance of squat videos out there...

But hey, at the end of the day an individual makes his own choices.

BumRush

Mikey, I don't disagree that it's probably easier for an untrained person to get injured Power Cleaning than DL or squatting, but all three are extremely risky if you don't know what you're doing.

New folks that are about to try cleans. WATCH VIDEOS and read about them. Amazing exercise, but easy to get wrong and hurt yourself.

Pachimari

I'm gonna try the power cleans along with deadlifting, as I know squatting already. But I'm gonna do it slowly and take one step at a time like that Mark Rippetoe guy did in his video. He's very smart and easy to listen to, very interesting. Power cleans does seem a little intimidating for a beginner like me, but I feel more comfortable after having seen his video, and thouroughly explaining each technique.

So I'm gonna do the Starting Strength program, which is actually nice, because now I'll get structure. I know it says not to change anything, but is it okay I add a little exercise with a machine to train my back? Because that is my weakest spot, the lower back. I'll also warm up with biking, and finish off with crossfit.

mkenyon

Banned
I think the thing to remember about power cleans (or Oly lifts), is that if something isn't feeling right, just toss the bar forward and away from you. There's no danger at that point, much easier to get out of than Bench/Squat.

KillerBEA

The biggest thing with Cleans (for me at least) is having all the appropriate muscles flexible enough. I can't do them properly due to wrist flexibility. Hence why I do cross arm for Front Squats instead of Clean grip

BumRush

I'm gonna try the power cleans along with deadlifting, as I know squatting already. But I'm gonna do it slowly and take one step at a time like that Mark Rippetoe guy did in his video. He's very smart and easy to listen to, very interesting. Power cleans does seem a little intimidating for a beginner like me, but I feel more comfortable after having seen his video, and thouroughly explaining each technique.

So I'm gonna do the Starting Strength program, which is actually nice, because now I'll get structure. I know it says not to change anything, but is it okay I add a little exercise with a machine to train my back? Because that is my weakest spot, the lower back. I'll also warm up with biking, and finish off with crossfit.

Rip is up there with Arnold as one of THE role models in the world of fitness! A great guy to listen to for sure.

And yes, you can add accessory work to starting strength, just make sure a) it doesn't replace the compounds and b) you do them AFTER compounds.

Just to let you know though, from doing DL, cleans and squats, your lower back is going to constantly be involved in your routine without additional work.

Pachimari

I think the thing to remember about power cleans (or Oly lifts), is that if something isn't feeling right, just toss the bar forward and away from you. There's no danger at that point, much easier to get out of than Bench/Squat.

That's where my social anxiety would kick in I think (I don't know), that if I throw it it'll create a whole scene where everyone's looking at me. I would just smile knowing myself.

Rip is up there with Arnold as one of THE role models in the world of fitness! A great guy to listen to for sure.

And yes, you can add accessory work to starting strength, just make sure a) it doesn't replace the compounds and b) you do them AFTER compounds.

Just to let you know though, from doing DL, cleans and squats, your lower back is going to constantly be involved in your routine without additional work.

I had a personal trainer a few years ago who has been working with fitness for 30 years, and he told me not to do the squats because my back wasn't strong enough for it, so instead I should do the rowing machine until my lower back were strong enough to pull off squats. I did pull them off but just not more than 15. My back were sore afterward though.

BumRush

I had a personal trainer a few years ago who has been working with fitness for 30 years, and he told me not to do the squats because my back wasn't strong enough for it, so instead I should do the rowing machine until my lower back were strong enough to pull off squats. I did pull them off but just not more than 15. My back were sore afterward though.

This is really bad advice you got, unfortunately (unless you had a previous back surgery or something that I missed). Squats are one of the most important exercises on the planet (for a variety of reasons). Do them with the bar (or hell, weightless), but don't avoid them. Please take this advice.

Pachimari

This is really bad advice you got, unfortunately (unless you had a previous back surgery or something that I missed). Squats are one of the most important exercises on the planet (for a variety of reasons). Do them with the bar (or hell, weightless), but don't avoid them. Please take this advice.

I haven't had any back surgery. Also, I'm taking this advice, as it seemed a little strange at the time, why he would move me away from the squats. I actually have a bar (only with 5kg on each side) here at home I can also do squats with.

BumRush

I haven't had any back surgery. Also, I'm taking this advice, as it seemed a little strange at the time, why he would move me away from the squats. I actually have a bar (only with 5kg on each side) here at home I can also do squats with.

I know you have anxiety, but I can promise you 99.999% of people don't care how much weight you lift at the gym. Also, you'll get great advice from others if you choose. I'd only recommend doing compounds at home alone for folks that have been at it for a while.

I concur ^^

-

Mid-cut progress pic for all of you to laugh at because i suck:

http://i.imgur.com/G6LbqgW.jpg

So far I'm happy with my chest, tris and traps. Traps i pretty much do almost nothing for so I can't really say I worked them hard - I've just always had them even as a kid - probably from mom, she got some big ol traps for a 5'3" old Croatian lady XD. I'll gladly trade for some calves tho :(

Bis and delts can def use more work. Delts look defined but aren't big enough, methinks. They're strong but I should probably hit more high-rep work with them. Same goes for bis. Right now they are noodles. Fairly competent to average, at best.

Another 8 weeks and I should be good to go with the abs. Then i'll hit maintenance for a while.

I'll def do a slower bulk next time - i had more fat on than i originally thought :|

I'll be parsing my next bulk food/lifting routine with you guys for help.

All in all I'll wind up at or just slightly below my starting weight a year ago and much, much leaner.

Chocobro

Here's the thing with learning the power clean, I wouldn't listen to Mark Rippetoe or anyone who has no extensive weightlifting experience.

You can read and watch videos on how to do it but make sure it's from a weightlifting perspective. Also make sure you are able to properly do the front squat with at least two fingers wrapped around the bar.

Here's the thing with learning the power clean, I wouldn't listen to Mark Rippetoe or anyone who has no extensive weightlifting experience.

You can read and watch videos on how to do it but make sure it's from a weightlifting perspective. Also make sure you are able to properly do the front squat with at least two fingers wrapped around the bar.

Out of curiosity, why not? Does Mark Rippetoe count as part of the latter? Would've thought it was a good source of info since he's written and taught it extensively.

For the record I don't do cleans since I've got my hands full with just the big 3 + press. I'm just asking to absorb some good info.

Nice progress. What's your go-to tri exercise?

Chocobro

Out of curiosity, why not? Does Mark Rippetoe count as part of the latter? Would've thought it was a good source of info since he's written and taught it extensively.

For the record I don't do cleans since I've got my hands full with just the big 3 + press. I'm just asking to absorb some good info.

To clear things up, weightlifting = Olympic weightlifting. What Mark Rippetoe teaches is weight training, strength training, or powerlifting, but not weightlifting.

Weightlifters do the clean and jerk and the power clean is a variation of the clean.

Greg Everett's weightlifting book is the starting strength book of weightlifting. His book details how to do all the lifts in the weightlifting sport. Greg also has a website and YouTube channel called Catalyst Athletics.

JtsStrength should be OK too. Colin Burns writes good stuff. Dmitry Klokov also sells his "KLOKOV: TRAINING METHODS OF THE RUSSIAN CHAMPION" which also includes instructional videos.

Max Lang is a weightlifter that started to post instructional videos. Oleksiy Torokhtiy also has a YouTube channel with instructional videos.

Thanks, guys! Long way to go yet to get back to where I was several years ago but shit happens XD

Nice progress. What's your go-to tri exercise?
Thanks man.

Every tricep session starts with dips, for me. I've missed it twice in the last 59 weeks. Absolutely adore doing them. Weighted with high volume, mid rep, 8-10.

Another one of my favorites is the underhand pushdown. I feel any tri exercise where I supinate my wrist hits them much harder. I switch from two hand to single hand pushdown randomly.

Dumbbell skull crushers. Never push perpendicular to the floor. Full extension my arms are pointed at an angle upwards to keep tension on the Tris vs just hammering them up to a perpendicular rest position at the top. Always try to keep gravity working against the tri.

That's about it. Skulls are the hardest exercise on my elbows so I do them last whenever I do them which allows me to use less weight due to fatigue from previous exercises.

Pachimari

To clear things up, weightlifting = Olympic weightlifting. What Mark Rippetoe teaches is weight training, strength training, or powerlifting, but not weightlifting.

Weightlifters do the clean and jerk and the power clean is a variation of the clean.

Greg Everett's weightlifting book is the starting strength book of weightlifting. His book details how to do all the lifts in the weightlifting sport. Greg also has a website and YouTube channel called Catalyst Athletics.

JtsStrength should be OK too. Colin Burns writes good stuff. Dmitry Klokov also sells his "KLOKOV: TRAINING METHODS OF THE RUSSIAN CHAMPION" which also includes instructional videos.

Max Lang is a weightlifter that started to post instructional videos. Oleksiy Torokhtiy also has a YouTube channel with instructional videos.

Thanks for all of these suggestions! I'm gonna search for some of them. So I guess I shouldn't buy Mark Rippetoe's book as it goes into the olympic weightlifting. I were looking for a good book.

My plan tomorrow is to go to the gym, and try do the deadlift and squat with the SS program, and then later in the day I'll measure my thighs, arms, belly and chest (is that all I should measure?) and then share a picture of my current body.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it truly matters for the casual people who just want general strength training. Although in the end I guess learning the Olympic style couldn't hurt.

Thanks man.

Every tricep session starts with dips, for me. I've missed it twice in the last 59 weeks. Absolutely adore doing them. Weighted with high volume, mid rep, 8-10.

Another one of my favorites is the underhand pushdown. I feel any tri exercise where I supinate my wrist hits them much harder. I switch from two hand to single hand pushdown randomly.

Dumbbell skull crushers. Never push perpendicular to the floor. Full extension my arms are pointed at an angle upwards to keep tension on the Tris vs just hammering them up to a perpendicular rest position at the top. Always try to keep gravity working against the tri.

That's about it. Skulls are the hardest exercise on my elbows so I do them last whenever I do them which allows me to use less weight due to fatigue from previous exercises.

Sweet, thanks. Was considering replacing my tricep exercise, might add one of yours to the mix. I typically find that dips aggravate my elbows though (semi chronic golfer's elbow).

Oh look, another nutrition thread in OT where people try to talk from the perspective of the human body.

I hear that, Shadow. I can go to parallel with my right shoulder but that's about it lol. Still do them tho. I have tennis elbow but dips don't aggravate them.

Nice work, Jack.

Now, we need pics of your mom for trap comparison.
Thanks!

And I know the real reason you want to see pics of my mum :O

mdsfx

Damn, eating maintenance calories is the best! I kept my lifting and cardio routines the same and have been eating 2500-2700 calories per day (2000 maintenance + cardio). So far after two weeks I've maintained my weight almost perfectly.

Going to do this for the better part of the summer, then increase calories to focus on building legs and lower back. Need those squat and DL numbers up!

Chocobro

Thanks for all of these suggestions! I'm gonna search for some of them. So I guess I shouldn't buy Mark Rippetoe's book as it goes into the olympic weightlifting. I were looking for a good book.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it truly matters for the casual people who just want general strength training. Although in the end I guess learning the Olympic style couldn't hurt.

I'll edit my post with links tonight or tomorrow since I posted that on my phone.

For general strength training, you don't really need the power clean. If you have athletic goals or training for a sport like American football, then power cleans may be a good addition to your programming.

BumRush

I'll edit my post with links tonight or tomorrow since I posted that on my phone.

For general strength training, you don't really need the power clean. If you have athletic goals or training for a sport like American football, then power cleans may be a good addition to your programming.

I play a moderate amount of no-rules (buzzing at a minimum) pool basketball come summer time (we effectively have a league). I'm probably the smallest guy in the "league" but goddamn, I'm a powerhouse. I credit Power Cleans with a good deal of my explosiveness.

Chocobro

I play a moderate amount of no-rules (buzzing at a minimum) pool basketball come summer time (we effectively have a league). I'm probably the smallest guy in the "league" but goddamn, I'm a powerhouse. I credit Power Cleans with a good deal of my explosiveness.

Will we get a video of you dunking? :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man, I forgot how cheap chicken thighs could be. Bought a nine pack of skinless, boneless for $5, and three thighs come out to 65g protein. So done with chicken breast. I just have to broil these bad boys instead of trying to fry them like I want to.

BumRush

Man, I forgot how cheap chicken thighs could be. Bought a nine pack of skinless, boneless for $5, and three thighs come out to 65g protein. So done with chicken breast. I just have to broil these bad boys instead of trying to fry them like I want to.

I actually prefer thigh meat over breast meat (talking about chicken here, head outta the gutter), so yeah, the price is unbeatable

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how anyone can eat nothing but chicken breast. The driest, blandest meat around. Even frying in copious amounts of butter can't save it.

BlueTsunami

I actually prefer thigh meat over breast meat (talking about chicken here, head outta the gutter), so yeah, the price is unbeatable

Yeah I tried to kick it with breasts but it seems like I need to really add back fat or something else to get it to where I find it semi enjoyable. With thighs all it needs is a sprinkling of seasoning and I could kill the whole pack. The slightly higher fat tradeoff is worth it.

I don't know how anyone can eat nothing but chicken breast. The driest, blandest meat around. Even frying in copious amounts of butter can't save it.

Cooked in tin foil packs helps but the texture is still blah. The only way ill actually enjoy it is with bbq sauce and that's just adding shit I wouldn't want all the time (as far as the diet)

Nothing but breast? That's ridiculous... but curried, it's still easily one of my favourite meals. Nothing to worry about macros wise either as it's 90% spices.

mdsfx

Grilled to the right temperature so it's still juicy, using different vinegar-based bbq sauces each day. I eat it twice per day.

"Stubbs" is my go to sauce at only 30-40 calories for 2Tbs, which is just enough to fully cover 6-7oz of chicken.

BlueTsunami

Nothing but breast? That's ridiculous... but curried, it's still easily one of my favourite meals. Nothing to worry about macros wise either as it's 90% spices.

I have to try this. I've been playing with mustards (Dijon and whole kernel). Good way to also add flavor without a large impact on calories. Never made a curried dish before.

Top Bottom