• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Pachimari

If I go to the park and start jogging for 1 minute, then runs all I can muster for 1 minute, and then repeat it again and again, that is HIIT right? I were linked an article about HIIT before but I forgot to bookmark it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice dude! Looks like you're back locked in.
You are a monster! Strength to weight ratio is fucking great, dude.
Thanks guys. Totally locked in. I'll post a progress pic when I get some free time. This is the reason I stopped bulking. The last 2 months have been terrible diet wise but I never let it get too out of control. Always good days mixed in with bad. Even with all the bad days, and there were many, I was always 2 weeks away from the finished product.

BumRush

If I go to the park and start jogging for 1 minute, then runs all I can muster for 1 minute, and then repeat it again and again, that is HIIT right? I were linked an article about HIIT before but I forgot to bookmark it.

There are many different forms of HIIT. The most commonly done is probably alternating jogging / sprints like you said, yes.

I've been doing Tabatas on the Airdyne lately because it only takes 4 minutes (4 REALLY intense minutes) and allows me more time to add super sets and drop sets into my lifting program.

Pachimari

There are many different forms of HIIT. The most commonly done is probably alternating jogging / sprints like you said, yes.

I've been doing Tabatas on the Airdyne lately because it only takes 4 minutes (4 REALLY intense minutes) and allows me more time to add super sets and drop sets into my lifting program.
How long am I supposed to do the jogging/running HIIT? Until I can't run anymore?

BumRush

How long am I supposed to do the jogging/running HIIT? Until I can't run anymore?

I'd make a plan first. See if you can alternate jogging / sprinting 5 times (so 10 minutes altogether). Just know, the sprinting is SPRINTING, not running. 10 minutes of that is actually a lot harder than you'd think. Let me know how that goes.

Pachimari

I'd make a plan first. See if you can alternate jogging / sprinting 5 times (so 10 minutes altogether). Just know, the sprinting is SPRINTING, not running. 10 minutes of that is actually a lot harder than you'd think. Let me know how that goes.
Yes I expect it to be the hardest I have done yet. When I sprint I gotta give it my all, literally all I got. Gonna be interesting. And hopefully I lose some fat doing this as well.

I want to start reverse dieting. Last time I tried I failed miserably and put on too much fat.

I'm really just looking for advice and experience, I know what I did wrong last time - I didn't stick to my macros and would often say "fuck it, I'm reverse dieting" while eating cake/ice cream/cookies.

Some info:
Current height 180cm/5'11"
Weight: Fluctuating between 82 and 85kg
Activity levels: high (60 mins+ high intensity exercise 6/7 days)
Dieting for 16 weeks, I think my current maintenance is around 2000-2200 kcal/day.
No idea what my BF% is.

What does reverse dieting mean?

Ixian

I want to start reverse dieting. Last time I tried I failed miserably and put on too much fat.

I'm really just looking for advice and experience, I know what I did wrong last time - I didn't stick to my macros and would often say "fuck it, I'm reverse dieting" while eating cake/ice cream/cookies.

Some info:
Current height 180cm/5'11"
Weight: Fluctuating between 82 and 85kg
Activity levels: high (60 mins+ high intensity exercise 6/7 days)
Dieting for 16 weeks, I think my current maintenance is around 2000-2200 kcal/day.
No idea what my BF% is.

To me it sounds like you know what you need to do -- take it slow, stick to your macros. I know Sean has some experience with it as well. I think this is a decent guide, though he also has better written information available in one of his books I believe.

What does reverse dieting mean?
Adding calories back into your diet to, rather than subtracting. You sometimes do this over a period of time when you want to move to maintenance or bulking, rather than adding back all of the calories at once, since it can be hard to stomach so much additional food immediately. For example, I currently operate at around a deficit of 3500 calories a week. After I finish my cut, rather than immediately adding those calories back to my diet, I plan to do it around a rate of 100 calories a day (or 700 calories a week), and gradually work my way up to maintenance and then to a bulk. Since my aim is to put on around 2 pounds a month, I'll eventually add an additional 1750 calories per week into my diet.

anyone here like doing Keto diet?? Any luck with gaining size while on it?
I've done keto a couple of times in my life, including once while doing P90X a few years ago and once while I was weight lifting last year since my girlfriend was doing keto. Personally I found it rough in terms of energy levels and also extended periods of achiness that I didn't have when I was lifting with carbs. My experience won't necessarily be yours, though, and there are plenty of people who do lifting and keto. Here's a subreddit you can checkout for more info (/r/ketogains).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That skinny thread is fascinating to me and helping me understand that the grass is always greener.

Thanks guys. Totally locked in. I'll post a progress pic when I get some free time. This is the reason I stopped bulking. The last 2 months have been terrible diet wise but I never let it get too out of control. Always good days mixed in with bad. Even with all the bad days, and there were many, I was always 2 weeks away from the finished product.

How much protein do you eat, coot?

Slipping the clutch is all good when you feel you need to!

mkenyon

Banned
My pumpkin is ready.

BumRush

Starting to catch the bug again. Actually looking forward to my workouts for a change (the last 6 months it's been the last thing I want to do) and it feels good.

demented

Tried upright row, pain all throughout delts, never gonna do it again lol. Sticking to shrugs only, any other good traps exercises? Think I'm lagging the most there.

Also I was checking my form on bench and I remember ripptits saying first ring on barbell is for powerlifting 2nd for olympic and your pinky should be near edge of first and I tried that and yep, pain on lateral/side delt. My arms weren't exactly vertical to the floor and were to the left of elbows but yeah, shouldn't follow everything 100% just adapt.

demented

I tried with like 10kg on smith machine and an empty bar just to test it out. Googled a bit and found a lot of people have issues with it and one of the more common exercises that can cause you problems in the long run.

entremet

anyone here like doing Keto diet?? Any luck with gaining size while on it?

I mess with it from time to time.

I've never used it for gaining mass though. Remember, true keto is low carb, moderate protein, and high fat.

Many people do too much protein, which gets converted to glucose via glucaneogenesis, when eaten in high amounts. They never enter true ketosis because they overeat protein.

A huge chicken breast could knock you out of ketosis.

You can gain mass on calorie surplus, but keto is usually more useful for cutting than gaining mass.

Hey guys any tips for always feeling tired and low energy? I sleep 8 hours, get plenty of rest between workouts, and am doing the starting strength workout and by the time I get to the second excersize I'm exhausted.

I work swing shift and get off sometimes 2am but I always sleep 8 hours and get up and go on the morning. I just feel so tired lol

BumRush

Hey guys any tips for always feeling tired and low energy? I sleep 8 hours, get plenty of rest between workouts, and am doing the starting strength workout and by the time I get to the second excersize I'm exhausted.

I work swing shift and get off sometimes 2am but I always sleep 8 hours and get up and go on the morning. I just feel so tired lol

Do you drink any coffee? Eat something before you lift?

Ixian

How's your diet in terms of what you're eating/how much you're eating? I get 4.5-6 hours of sleep on week nights and generally do okay. My energy levels are in the dumps at the end of the day though.

How's your diet in terms of what you're eating/how much you're eating? I get 4.5-6 hours of sleep on week nights and generally do okay. My energy levels are in the dumps at the end of the day though.

I eat three big meals a day with snacks in between. I eat pretty healthy, only water, fruits vegetables chicken and lots of eggs. No sugar of I can help it.

I also smoke a lot of weed, but not directly before lifting, if that matters.

And it's weird, after I lift, I can go to work and not be tired for he rest of the day.

Cooter

I eat three big meals a day with snacks in between. I eat pretty healthy, only water, fruits vegetables chicken and lots of eggs. No sugar of I can help it.

I also smoke a lot of weed, but not directly before lifting, if that matters.

And it's weird, after I lift, I can go to work and not be tired for he rest of the day.
You're smoking weed all day and you wonder why you lack energy. My hunch is it might possibly maybe, IDK, have something to do with your marijuana use?

You're smoking weed all day and you wonder why you lack energy. My hunch is it might possibly maybe, IDK, have something to do with your marijuana use?

Dammit I was hoping I didn't have to choose between the two. I guess I'll cut down a little and see if there is a difference.anyone else smoke a lot?

Thanks for the help guys

Cooter

Dammit I was hoping I didn't have to choose between the two. I guess I'll cut down a little and see if there is a difference.anyone else smoke a lot?

Thanks for the help guys
Occasionally and I'm beat for that day and sometimes the next.

Lol, this.

Yea I'm an idiot. I guess I knew that's what it was, but man, I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes and soda, weed was really my last vice lol. Fuck now I gotta make a choice lol.

Thanks again for he help guys.

Oh an one more stupid question; is the whole "body can only absorb 30g of protein at a time" bro science, or is it true?

Thanks for the help guys

Weed messes with your serotonin levels. Which negatively impacts your energy levels. It also screws with testosterone production . Not recommended for exercise really unless you're one of those wacky people that like to lift high.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6090909/

mkenyon

Banned
Yea I'm an idiot. I guess I knew that's what it was, but man, I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes and soda, weed was really my last vice lol. Fuck now I gotta make a choice lol.

Thanks again for he help guys.

Oh an one more stupid question; is the whole "body can only absorb 30g of protein at a time" bro science, or is it true?
You don't need to quit, just use in moderation. Off-day treat or something like that.

It definitely kills energy levels, that's why I stopped ~10 years back.

If the muscles you worked out are really soar the next day ,is that a pretty good indicator that you are doing enough to promote muscle growth? or is there no correlation between soarness/muscle growth?

mkenyon

Banned
If the muscles you worked out are really soar the next day ,is that a pretty good indicator that you are doing enough to promote muscle growth? or is there no correlation between soarness/muscle growth?

No correlation. You actually build up an immunity to the soreness over time. Typically it just means that you worked slightly different muscles in slightly different ways.

No correlation. You actually build up an immunity to the soreness over time. Typically it just means that you worked slightly different muscles in slightly different ways.

I guess that makes sense. because my shoulders never get soar, but my legs kill me. But my shoulders for sure are getting stronger since i've started working out.

theytookourjobz

If you can lift more weight for more reps than last time that's how you know you are doing enough to grow. Soreness and other "feelings" are completely subjective and irrelevant.

Also, big PR clean today. 280! 300 coming soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_CFlnLvioE

Bladenic

I'm so lost and overwhelmed trying to make a workout plan. Like I'm not sure what I actually want to accomplish beside drop about 20-30 pounds and have nice muscles.

theytookourjobz

I'm so lost and overwhelmed trying to make a workout plan. Like I'm not sure what I actually want to accomplish beside drop about 20-30 pounds and have nice muscles.

Don't make one. Just pick something based on compound lifts and stick to it for 6 months. You'll shed weight and build muscle if you are consistent at the gym and eat reasonably well.

Guess I have some Googling to do.

I'll quote myself from a couple pages back just to help you out.

Read this:

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/

The reason SS or any other program suggested might be superior to your previous workout is because it's completely structured. It's built to cover most if not all of your body, and you don't get to "choose" your weights. You can start with an empty bar or 95-100 lbs or whatever, but in the end either you: get your 3x5 or however many sets/reps, or you don't. And that means that next time you either get to increase the weight or you don't.

I highly suggest you go on Youtube and search "Mark Rippetoe." Look for each exercise and there should be at least 1 video where Mark goes through the reps for a number of different people. He identifies cues, problems and such in each person's form. Study this before you go in and you should be able to avoid most roadblocks and mishaps.

Also I'd go so far as to suggest not adding power cleans into the mix unless you have someone good to educate you on how to do it. Otherwise you might run the risk of injuring yourself. Your call in the end though.

Get your nutrition on point and you'll lose pounds while building muscle.

Cooter

Quick shoulder/arm progress pic. 181.4 today after being 192 thirteen days ago

aQq0zcr.jpg

Top Bottom