• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Szu

The struggle is following up a cheat day with a strict day. Yo body wants dat sugar!!

scarface.jpg

entremet

Well, I'll join in on the summer progress shots. Or lack of progress.

Injured back. Limited gym time. Sporadic diet. This is the flabby result.

Currently, weight is at 192 lbs.
You got some crazy arms, man.

I've seen them for years but I'm always impressed.

Goddamn. Szu is open carrying.

CRAZY GUNS BREH

Cheat night was a success. Kinda more fun than usual because my daughter was eating super strict also for the last couple weeks. She was so incredibly excited like I usually get. Funny. Pizza follow by Cinnabon plus ice cream later in the night for me. Yum
I'm following you tomorrow. Pizza, pasta, waffles, donuts, RED THE FUCK VINES. Going for a monster refeed.

wbsmcs

Just finished my first week of Starting Strength and I know it's still early but I feel like it went really well.

Started with:

Squats: 115
Bench: 110
Deadlift: 115
Press: 65

I just finished my third workout with 135 squats, 120 bench, and 155 deadlift. This workout was the first one where I ended rather tired though so I might slow down on the amount of weight increase on the squats and deadlifts.

Started off as a skinny fat twig, but I will have a progress pic for you guys in ~3 months! Already looking forward to Monday.

Ixian

Just finished my first week of Starting Strength and I know it's still early but I feel like it went really well.
Congrats man. Just getting started and sticking with it for a week is a big deal. Soon the constant feeling of progression will become an addiction. :)

MjFrancis

Szu looking solid as always.

I know it's not "healthy" but Ill be damned if a pound of pulled pork (no sauce) and a few shots of whiskey isn't the most awesome meal ever. Several nights in a row, no regrets.

I'll never match MrToughtPant's meal pics, but I promise I'll crack open my last fresh-caught dungeness crab for a six egg omelet in the morning. If I was him I'd make it a twelve egg omelet and two crabs, but I wouldn't be able to finish that, I'll just be honest here lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Yuuuup. Pulled Pork is so fucking good, and probably my most common meat. You'd think I'd get sick of it, but nope.

Are you Pac NW local? I just moved from Oly to Bend.

BumRush

Back to back weeks of 4+ "2 sweat" days. People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer...But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back!

Potentiality stupid question: Doing dumbbell side/lateral raises as part of my shoulder workout, wondering when I should attempt to increase weight. I'm only doing 10 lbs 8 x 4 with perfect form, no swinging momentum, so any increase would be 50% more weight.

Should I just keep upping reps until I can finally add weight? Or should I try the higher weight with minimal reps but still good form and work up to 8 x 4?

no gym for a month. back at it again. slowly recovering. actually bought food to meal prep for the week. got all the meals planned out. woot. gotta not look obese.

TripOpt55

Entering the final push here on my cut. Been trying to lose the weight I put on during a really bad depression period two years back. Started dieting last July and have been at it for most of the year (took a month off around Christmas). I've gone from 207 to 172 and want to lose maybe 5-7 more pounds. I mostly just like lifting, but have thrown some cardio back into the mix (ugh!) starting last workout to really try and get this last little bit gone. May even try this two sweats a day thing BumRush has mentioned on workout days. I'm kind of embarrassed I put the weight on in the first place, but I'm proud I was able to get it back off. Definitely lost some strength during the process, but I look forward to working on that again once I finish losing the weight I want to. On the plus side my pull-ups and dips have been much better at least since dropping the weight! (That's me looking for the silver lining on the weight room side of things here!)

Calderc

For those of you who head to the gym straight from work, what do you usually do about eating beforehand? Hadn't thought about that til now so don't have time to prepare something for tomorrow and don't fancy going on an empty-ish stomach.

For those of you who head to the gym straight from work, what di you usually do about eating beforehand? Hadn't thought about that til now so don't have time to prepare something for tomorrow and don't fancy going on an empty-ish stomach.

I usually grab a protein bar, or fruit.

ColdPizza

Banned
Cheat night was a success. Kinda more fun than usual because my daughter was eating super strict also for the last couple weeks. She was so incredibly excited like I usually get. Funny. Pizza follow by Cinnabon plus ice cream later in the night for me. Yum

Can you provide some samples of your clean diet?

Goddamn 500kg o_O

-

On an unrelated note my thyroid antibodies are slowly dropping little by little every time I get blood work. My left lobe (right one was removed) is getting smaller as well as my tumor is getting smaller. Super excited.

I dont know how a humans shoulders/arms can even handle the strain of holding 500kg, insane.

Also jacksinthe im glad to hear your health is going well.

Thanks, dude.

And yeah - I'm trying to wrap my head around his shoulders not popping straight the fuck out and his spine being compressed to all hell. That's just crazy!

-

Gonna try low bar today. I think I've done them once. I always high bar but my hip, even with the doc on monitor and therapy isn't getting much better. That muscle snapping is getting on my nerves. Don't know if low bar will help but I know form is different. Still going ATG tho. I don't want to give that up. If I need to go lighter I'll go lighter but I like the ROM.

mdsfx

Wife posted a family picture on facebook from a 5K we ran together. Some dude comments "#DADBOD2016." She defended me, but still. Fuck YOU, pal. I just stayed out of it.

Anyways, the race was really fun! We have 2 races now that we do together as a family annually. So awesome to have everyone wearing race bibs :)

Ixian

I've never even seen you shirtless but lol if that guy thinks you have a dad bod based on how you look while sitting.

3phemeral

Pokemon Go has solved all my cardio issues. Never setting foot on a treadmill again!
wanted to test the game out a bit and ended up walking for four miles in humid 90° weather wearing jeans and two layers of long sleeve shirts (my workplace is cold).

I was a sweating mess when I got home.

I've never even seen you shirtless but lol if that guy thinks you have a dad bod based on how you look while sitting.
He's ripped.

mdsfx

I'm a small guy, so I get that I don't look 'ripped' because I don't have much mass in the first place, but even so, I just thought it was a shitty thing to post. Meh, not worth getting worked up over.

I'm a small guy, so I get that I don't look 'ripped' because I don't have much mass in the first place, but even so, I just thought it was a shitty thing to post. Meh, not worth getting worked up over.
I'm more concerned that your family has those portable holes from Roger Rabbit as faces. They should see a doc before they get bigger.

You're a stud. I wish I could be that shredded year round so effortlessly. You have abs on your abs mate!

wanted to test the game out a bit and ended up walking for four miles in humid 90° weather wearing jeans and two layers of long sleeve shirts (my workplace is cold).

I was a sweating mess when I got home.
Yeah this heat/humidity is killing me. I went out to catch some rarer Pokemon and get my Eevee to evolve, just going a few blocks around my place was a chore, lol. I'm out there for hours when it's cool though, definitely helps with my insomnia.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Dropped from 183 after holiday weekend to 174 lbs in less than a week. Feeling awesome. I want to get sub 170 this week, which I probably haven't been since college or military.

Wife posted a family picture on facebook from a 5K we ran together. Some dude comments "#DADBOD2016." She defended me, but still. Fuck YOU, pal. I just stayed out of it.

Anyways, the race was really fun! We have 2 races now that we do together as a family annually. So awesome to have everyone wearing race bibs :)

lol dadbod

So this is getting worse. My back is really REALLY fucking killing me during squats today - which sucked hard. I've been dealing with this longer than my hip but here's some NSFL material for you:

http://i.imgur.com/uEc2dK5.png

That's my throacolumbar fascia - you can see the left side is VERY MUCH FUCKED compared to the right. I am bending over so you guys can see it. Cropped out my ass, ofc. Can't have y'all fainting from how amazing it looks.

But yeah - that hurts like hell. Makes working the day job much harder on machines and racing isn't that fun, either.

I'm going to see the doc about this next :(

I can still do deads just fine but squats is where i get the most pain in my back and obviously hip from the snap.

Sigh. I hate my body.

On the flipside. Pulled pork tonight. So I have that going for me.

Thanks guys. Been putting up with it for too long but I believe my back issues stem from years of abuse. My back feels like it's 30 years older than the rest of me hahaha!

Thanks guys. Been putting up with it for too long but I believe my back issues stem from years of abuse. My back feels like it's 30 years older than the rest of me hahaha!
I feel ya. :( I've had lower back issues my entire life. I guess from being fat. I'd get a sore back just from walking around.

Hope you get better soon man, hang in there.

Servbot24

Banned
The struggle is following up a cheat day with a strict day. Yo body wants dat sugar!!

That's why I don't do cheat days. I don't really see the point of once a week reminding yourself that sweet/fatty food exists.

That said there are occasions where I'll eat unhealthy food for the purpose of not being a dick, like if something baked me cookies or something.

Started with:

Squats: 115
Bench: 110
Deadlift: 115
Press: 65

I just finished my third workout with 135 squats, 120 bench, and 155 deadlift. This workout was the first one where I ended rather tired though so I might slow down on the amount of weight increase on the squats and deadlifts.

Started off as a skinny fat twig, but I will have a progress pic for you guys in ~3 months! Already looking forward to Monday.

I'm going to start SS Wednesday. I already lift 6 times a week but I'm kinda unorganized about it other than keeping a bench/deadlift/squat cycle. Haven't really felt much progress because of that I think. Hopefully SS will help move things forward! I've also never done a bulk or a cut - I just try to eat reasonably healthy and do my thing. Maybe I'll try that as well though.

Sadetar

Nice to see that this thread is still going strong. I haven't been in here for eternity, but I haven't fell off the wagon either.

Some of you may remember that I had a really bad herniated disc last year. According to the recent mri it has nearly fully disappeared. Electroneuromyography also showed that there isn't any big neurological damages left from that and the small ones that are still there most likely heal on their own with time. The side of my feet still feels funny once in a while, but it isn't painful at all.

I was able to work out normally for about half a year and I really loved doing kettlebell exercises. One day about three months back I was getting up from the floor and fell down instantly. I was thinking I was just super clumsy and tried to get up again just to realize my left leg's muscles weren't responding correctly and I fell down again. It took maybe couple minutes before I felt that they were under control and I could get up.

Of course I was worried and went to see a doctor. After numerous meetings, different tests and mri we found out that I have modic 1 changes. I met a physiotherapist and we went through everything I have been doing. No yoga or pilates for couple months for now. At the moment I do dead bug exercises daily and go to gym twice a week. In there I use mainly machines where my back is supported and I am not allowed to bend to the sides and I try to avoid bending forward as well. My physiotherapist checked my squats and gave me permission to do those once a week with low weights (max 22 pounds / 10 kilos, 20-30 repetitions 2-3 times) since the form was good. I also do some core muscle workouts with the caple machine twice a week.

I am happy I can still work out, but I am relatively annoyed about all this. It will take at least couple months to be fully healed and I feel I am just going through different type back problems one by one. I guess I better try to take this as a cut, since I am forced to use less weights and I did gain some fat when I tried to gain more muscles during winter. Good thing is that at least this shouldn't be as serious or time consuming as the herniated disc and I managed to get over it just fine.

If anyone of you have had diagnosed modic 1 changes, I am all ears.

All in all not a bad year I guess and everything will be great once I have lost the extra fat and got my back back to normal. ^_^

Top Bottom