• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Acorn

The barely concealed glee of CNN fucking disgusts me. This is happening to real people with real family and lives that are about to be destroyed.

Fuck you CNN

dolabla

Latest Euro ensembles:

AL11_2017090912_ECENS_large.png

Wow, it's coming right over me if those are the projections. I live about 70 miles from the gulf coast. We haven't had a real Hurricane since Opal back in 95.

Aikidoka

Would it making landfall further up the west coast/in the gulf make it more likely that it becomes a cat 5 again or are there other variables like shear that would cause it to degrade?

Just an update from my North Tampa Evac that we started a few hours ago. Traffic is a breeze heading north out of state, we’ve had zero issues as I suspected from Google Maps. Was kinda shook about not being able to find gas, but we found a couple stations south of Gainesville that had the liquid gold. It is NOT to late to get out if you want to depending on where you’re at.

Is there a FlightRadar24 alternative that has a weather layer for free? I'm curious on seeing how the airlines are avoiding the hurricane but the free version doesn't have a weather layer.

III-V

Just an update from my North Tampa Evac that we started a few hours ago. Traffic is a breeze heading north out of state, we've had zero issues as I suspected from Google Maps. Was kinda shook about not being able to find gas, but we found a couple stations south of Gainesville that had the liquid gold. It is NOT to late to get out if you want to depending on where you're at.

Certainly not too late. Earliest tropical storm force winds only expected after 8 am tomorrow, likely coming in around noon.

So it's strengthening again???? :(

As expected, forecast to come back up to a 4

No shit, right.

I love Disney World but MCO is kind of shit.

It was fucking horrendous when I was there a month or two ago.

Was nearly late for my connecting flight there because our plane was a bit late and then at this Airport we had to RE-ENTER security because of how poorly designed it is.

Update: Collier has opened another shelter at 14700 Immokalee Rd, Naples Fl. There are only 150 spaces. If you want, and can evacuate coastal areas, please consider doing so.

That webcam from the south point in the keys is insane. People are still there making selfies.

Do they even have enough time left to get out of there?

Certainly not too late. Earliest tropical storm force winds only expected after 8 am tomorrow, likely coming in around noon.

As expected, forecast to come back up to a 4
Yea. Just going to Supress the FUD in this thread from earlier about it being to late. With the Tolls open and a mix of people staying and people already gone there has not been any gridlock what’s so ever. It’s encouraging to see people help direct traffic and the gas stations and people offering to give up their cans.

Kusagari

That webcam from the south point in the keys is insane. People are still there making selfies.

They do, but the conditions have already deteriorated further up. Marathon is receiving 50mph+ winds and is getting drenched. They'll have to drive up in those conditions.

III-V

Yes, but t is becoming more dangerous as time passes. 24 hours and they will see hurricane force winds.

Audioboxer

Even in 50mph winds, you don't want to be driving across that bridge. I'm afraid it's already too late for them

You said it. I posted a few pictures on this page of this topic http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430894&page=4

The camera here shows it's starting to get rougher https://youtu.be/gaErEed7UPI?list=PL9LPhV57df3yfcRFlGAqIhjCJd4zPiwpB And here you can see people are still at the furthest south part of the keys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ld45pUueQ

sflufan

Banned
1700 EDT NHC Advisory:

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.4N 80.5W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM ENE OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 115 MI...190 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 295 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

I would rather take my chances with that than attempt to ride it out in possible 10 feet of storm surge tomorrow.

I can't really disagree, but I think they are dead either way, honestly. I mean, I would've been gone long ago, but we aren't dealing with rational people

witness

Wonder how far west this thing will go. Had family leave Deltona and went to Ft. Walton and now it keeps pushing closer that way. Feel bad because now they would have been better off at home it seems. Got my buffalo chicken tender, tossed in ranch, sub this evening at the Publix on 434. First time I had it on white with pepper jack cheese, goddamn delicious. They had a tower of water there btw, they've had it since yesterday to and have been limiting it to just two per customer. Store was crazy busy.

sflufan

Banned
Wonder how far west this thing will go. Had family leave Deltona and went to Ft. Walton amd now it keeps pushing closer that way. Feel bad because now they would have been better off at home it seems. Got my buffalo chicken tender, tossed in ranch, sub this evening at the Publix on 434. First time I had it on white with pepper jack cheese, goddamn delicious. They had a tower of water there btw, they've had it since yesterday to and have been limiting it to just two per customer. Store was crazy busy.

I LOVE the Publix sub digression in the middle of this post!

1700 EDT NHC Advisory:

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.4N 80.5W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM ENE OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 115 MI...190 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 295 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

Moving WNW at 295 degrees now, definitely starting to turn slowly.

Zackat

The Publix sub section of this thread was the best part. We got an OT spin-off from it.

On the topic at hand, we dodged it here on the Treasure Coast for the most part. Got pretty lucky again like with Matthew.

Top Bottom